Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Would running Plex Media Server on an SSD have any benefits over a traditional hard drive if all my media is accessed remotely via Apple TV and Roku? The SSD in my server just died and I'm considering if I should just go back to mechanical if there's no real benefits.

The only thing I think might be useful is possibly serving up artwork quicker but I don't know if it cached on the device at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

So thanks to some advice I picked up a Roku 3. Really dig the little box, but I'm kind of bummed that a lot of these channels are pretty low bitrate. A lot of artifacting everywhere. It's not the end of the world or anything, but I was kind of hoping a few of them would look better :unsmith:

Most apps like Netflix and Twitch should start off at the lowest qualit and eventually end up at the max your connection supports. Unfortunately a lot of the smaller channels are just repurposing mobile streams.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just make sure your PC can handle transcoding and you'll have to leave your computer on all the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I dont know where you're getting this "Rokus are severely limited walled garden" stuff. A Roku box is just as capable as a FireTV. It doesn't have XBMC but it has Plex which is nearly the same thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wooty posted:

Roku is great at what it is, but has no space for creativity (that I can see)

What the gently caress does this even mean?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Well, maybe. Is that a no? No support?

The supreme court recently ruled that their entire business model is illegal, so yes they're going away very soon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BigFactory posted:

I understand that. I'm asking if there is support through things other than Roku, but I guess I'll ask somewhere else on the internet.

I'm wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to explain to Aereo the company is out of business so having support for that service is useless at this point.

Also Wooty, I know about XBMC, I used it for several years from the original xbox to an Acer Revo to an ATV2. I switched to a Roku/Plex combination because the back end for managing media is way better and if your main goal is playing local media on your TV then Plex is just as capable. Once you start getting into niche plugins and those weird :filez: streams then XBMC is much better.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 28, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I ended up with a ObiHai box and a PhonePower plan for a landline and it's pretty nice. $40 for the box and $3.50/mo for service.

PhonePower sells a box directly too I think.

http://www.phonepower.com/voiphome.aspx

EDIT: If you buy the ObiHai box and go through their portal they have a special promo of PhonePower service for only $35/year instead of the usual $100

http://www.obitalk.com/info/asp/phonepower

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 29, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

On Roku Disney is free but you need a cable subscription to verify. However it doesn't verify IP address or anything so if they have any family with a cable sub they can use their login. PBS kids is free with or without cable. There is no Nick app but Amazon Prime video has most of their shows anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Oh. I was responding originally to the Verge article which said Roku is best because "content is king".

They probably mean legal content.

Horn posted:

Since you can run plex on a roku I'm not sure what you're trying to say here

He means you can't install pirated sports and movie stream addons with plex.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Honestly I don't think there's much out there for background or mindless TV stuff. Everything is designed with the manta of on-demand as opposed to just seeing what's on.

If he's fine with OTA channels that might satisfy the itch but even I keep cable around to drop into DIY and watch whatever backyard crashers show is on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SlingTV just added AMC to their core service

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Cable by another name.

still cheaper so who cares

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone who is using DirecTV Now on the Apple TV or Fire TV (not the stick) comment on which one would be better? Looking to replace all my Roku boxes with one of the two if we move to DTV.

We mainly live in Plex and Netflix now. For music I mainly use spotify.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picked up an Apple TV at best buy today to test out the DirecTV trial and holy hell is way more snappy and reliable than the first gen Fire TV stock I was testing with.

For some reason NBC is not available for streaming on devices, only web and in-app. Might be a deal breaker but well find out with a few days use.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flosofl posted:

If you're going to get one, the consensus seems to be the 4K FireTV or the AppleTV 4. If you already did your account, it's probably too late to get the AppleTV deal, but you can get the 4K FireTV for $89 from Amazon.

You can still get the ATV4 deal even if you signed up under a trial.

https://twitter.com/directvnow/status/804004866167291905

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Must have just misunderstood since a lot of people were recommending the 4kFTV over the Stick. Oh well, ATV is on the way I guess.

There's a number of people who are more invested in the Amazon ecosystem who are getting the ATV but then selling it and buying a FTV instead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

You can still get the ATV4 deal even if you signed up under a trial.

https://twitter.com/directvnow/status/804004866167291905

To follow up on this, you can't do it from the same account. You need to sign up again from a new email address.

Been a customer of DirectTV for 16 years and just left to go to ... DirecTV.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone using an HDHomeRun with an AppleTV? Thinking of picking one up to supplement the DirectvNow service.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks guys. My plan was to use ATV and Channels for live stuff. I can use Usenet or Plex DVR for recorded shows.

I'm wondering how well an HDHomeRun would work in an attic that gets really hot in the summer. I already have power and an Ethernet switch up there for some IP cams, leaving the box up there with the antenna would be easier than running a new coax drop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ixian posted:

The Extend has a fan but it can get fairly hot on its own since it does encoding on-board (early models had an overheating problem in fact). I don't know how well it would hold up in your attic but in mine in the Texas summer it wouldn't stand a chance. Unless you are far up North I wouldn't risk it; even more temperate areas can get hot enough to heat an attic above 120F.

Attic antenna is a good idea though, maybe find a way to run coax 1 floor down? If you don't have some up there already. It doesn't need to be next to the HDHR.

I live in the Inland Empire area of CA where it gets 110F outside in the summer. Attic temps are probably more in the range 130-140F.
I was more interested in hooking it up to existing lines instead of running more cabling down to my junction box. No worries though, my cat5 closet is right above where the antenna would go so I'll just shove a piece of coax down the pipe instead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

teagone posted:

Pretty much this. As an aside, today I found out that DTV Now cannot stream NBC live on my Apple TV, despite being able to stream it live on my PC/phone/tablet just fine. The gently caress kind of licensing is that?

They said to have it sorted out "soon, but no details. No idea if it's technical or licensing issue..

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I believe in the case of at least Intel it wasn't so much abandoned before release as in it was done, development was complete, network was in place, tens of millions invested with a finished project and they just couldn't launch it because they couldn't get enough content providers to make it a viable product.

I actually beta tested the Intel streaming box for a month before we sent it back. Quality was excellent, they had us stress test it by watching the first game of Monday night football.

The hardware was weird though, it looked like an overgrown kinect and had a camera on it for some reason.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The real test with DTVNow is in 3 months. I think they rolled out early to either hit a year-end goal or to beat something else that hasn't been announced and they cooked up the ATV deal to buy them 90 days to iron poo poo out and get the service where they want it to be.

I think if they don't have it sorted out once the early adopters start having to actually pay for the monthly service then they're going to see a big drop in subscribers

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks for the heads up on the HDHomeRun, I must have gotten the last one. It was listed at $89 but if you go to "more sellers" you could see Amazon selling it for $68 but it was backordered for a week or two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought an attic antenna and tested it this morning. My towers are 30 miles away and I still picked up 120 channels in rock solid signal quality

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think you must have missed the nonstop parade of "DirecTV Now is poo poo" articles on day 2 of the launch.

I'll give them my 90 days and if they don't improve then I'm jumping to Vue.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh man the channels app is loving great.

Also the PS4 sees the HDHomeRun as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DirecTV Now is doing a 1 month free trial for anyone still on the fence. Use promo code INTC1MONTH on the payment page.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've been exclusively DirecTV Now for the past 2 weeks and it's been pretty good. We were watching college football games all day and never saw any errors.

Once in a while we'll get an error it we change channels too fast or if we leave the app to go watch something else and come back a few hours later. But in those cases all we need to do it change the channel and change back and it's good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This looks interesting. Dish announced a single set top box for their SlingTV platform that has a OTA tuner integrated into their channel guide.

quote:

Today, Dish officially announced the AirTV Player, an Android TV streaming device that the company is pitching as “a single platform” for on-demand streaming, internet TV, and over-the-air local channels.
Since it’s an Android TV box, you can install whatever apps you want, but the preinstalled options are Sling TV, Netflix, and YouTube. The AirTV Player also supports 4K streaming from services that offer UHD resolution. The AirTV Player is available beginning today for $129 with a bundled OTA adapter or $99 for just the box itself. It comes with a remote control that allows voice search and has physical shortcut buttons for Sling and Netflix.
With the AirTV Player, OTA channels remain separate from your Sling TV subscription, but they’re integrated into the same channel guide, so everything’s in one place even if it’s coming from different sources. That way, you can choose your monthly Sling TV package based on the cable channels included and without being swayed because one or two of the big four networks is part of the deal.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/3/14149476/dish-airtv-player-netflix-sling-tv-specs-ces-2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the site BTW. https://www.airtv.net/player/

It also comes with $50 in Sling credit if you wanted to go that route.
It would be nice if you could connect a USB drive to get DVR functionality on OTA signals

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just canceled my DirecTV service and they don't even send boxes to return the equipment, it's just a plastic bag that gets shipped off to a Goodwill in Denver.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I'm not going back.

I had to call every day for a week straight because the promised they would cancel at midnight and every day I would wake up and still have service.

On the plus side they kept throwing discounts at me every time I called so my $300 ETF ended up being $20 when a was said and done.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Better question, people really want to watch award shows?

:jerkbag:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

So weird because my stream has been flawless. I wonder what's causing all issues for some people but not others?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As an aside, does anyone actually use Kodi for local media playback or is it basically just a pirated streaming platform now? Every time I see it mentioned online it's in the context of free movie and tv streams, it's seems anyone with local content just moved to Plex or Emby now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah my mom, who knows zero about technology, asked me over the Christmas break about "some stick you plug into the tv that gets you unlimited free movies and tv shows". I think I eventually pieced together that it was a fire tv stick with kodi and whatever plugins for it. No clue where she heard about it from though.

It's always brought up by loudmouths on Reddit too but that's just Reddit being Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I always hear people call dtv now garbage, but idk why. I never have trouble streaming. Poke a show, watch the show.

Seems to depend on what CDN you're near. I've had near flawless performance but some people are reporting serious, ongoing daily issues.