Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

nate fisher posted:

If you don't need care about cable news (CNN) or sports (ESPN), I don't see a reason why anyone would need a live streaming service.

This is unquestionably inaccurate. YouTubeTV's deep rear end Cloud DVR allows me to watch things that are otherwise unavailable on any of the other (non-live) streaming services, and a lot of which is even unavailable for purchase. I do watch a lot of sports though, so I will give you 3 points out of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

YouTube Tv on demand legit has the worst ads. If you watch a longer program it seriously gets maddening.

So DVR the show. You can select which one you want to watch and skip the commercials.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

phosdex posted:

My local PBS channel is now on Youtube TV. Time to record every Antiques Roadshow.

Excellent

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In the spirit of Christmas, I just received an email from Sling that they are increasing prices.

https://whatson.sling.com/announcements/an-update-on-sling-orange-and-sling-blue/

I cancelled, I only had it for AEW and I was already waffling on keeping it.

It’s probably not an unwarranted increase. As more rights holders start their own streaming services this will continue to happen.

Having said that, YouTubeTV is now a much better value by comparison.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

Ugh, I'm tired of comparing streaming and cable services. Nothing stands out and, based on the channels we want, there's no real standout. Dish Network seems to hit closest to the sweet spot, even paying $10 or $15 for a couple of set top boxes. We had Dish for years and it was spot on even in crappy weather.

We're doing the free week of YouTube TV (and it seems pretty cool), but we'll see.

The YTTV Cloud DVR is bonkers. That's the main draw for me. I can set it to record every sporting contest by league or team, or even sport if I want to be completely nuts, and more importantly for my gf, my DVR now has every single episode of Law and Order on demand (Thank you YT and WETV.)

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Sports.

That's the biggest thing stopping me from dropping DirecTV. Granted I also have $70/month in credits for the next 10 months. Sounds like I'm SOL when that ends tho.

Between YTTV and ESPN+ I have more sports than I can possibly watch. And I watch a lot of loving sports.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Does YTTV have live ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and NFLN?

I have ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, NBA, TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC, ACC, ESPNNEWS, FS1, FS2, FSSW, FSSW Plus, NBCSN, MLB, BTN, CBSSN, Tennis, Olympic Channel, and my local UHF affiliates that show regional sports.

ESPN+ is a completely different planet.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

No. YouTube RED is a completely separate service for $10(?) per month.

I think he means YouTube Music, but no, that’s not included either.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

curried lamb of God posted:

Although I've been happy with Xfinity, my bill is going up by $20 next month (and another $30 in a year), so I've started looking at FIOS + a streaming service. I'm leaning toward YTTV, but I'm also open to Sling or Hulu, plus an OTA. I've checked Suppose.tv and they all include the channels I'm interested in. A couple of questions:

• If I go with YTTV, would it still be worthwhile to get an OTA for picture quality? 99% of my viewing is live sports, split about evenly between local and cable channels. I'm in the DC area (Arlington) and 3-4 miles away from every tower.
  • How does streaming picture quality compare to cable? I'll probably go with a 300Mbps plan, which should be more than enough for any use. I've heard that YTTV has the best quality and Sling the worst, but that can depend on so many factors.

My broadband is only around 100Mbps and the streaming quality is superior. Even with multiple devices streaming. There is no difference between YTTV and OTA picture quality that I can ascertain.

YTTV has a 7 day trial. See for yourself.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

YouTube TV does.

It’s better than anything I ever used on cable.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

I have gotten several emails from Roku, being salty about Fox.

I detest when providers do this. I remember Dish buying ads running this game, and I wasn’t even a Dish subscriber

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

otter posted:

You guys know we have a MLB.TV sharing thread right? (I run a group and have an opening still)

MLB.TV helps nothing when it comes to local games.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

otter posted:

Let’s be fair, blocking out the white sox is a public service

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YouTubeTV has reached a deal with Sinclair. Crisis averted. :toot:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

phosdex posted:

Yes Network, Prime Ticket and Fox Sports West have been dropped it seems. New York and some CA residents affected I think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/fdv9nz/mega_thread_youtube_tv_has_dropped_the_yes/

I would guess that dropping those 3 lets Youtube keep their cost to customers the same. Adding those would have come with a price hike?

I'm fine with that. I don't live in those markets and I don't want my sub to increase because gently caress the Yankees. Also, still gently caress Sinclair because they're greedy bitches, who then tried to make it seem like YTTv was the bad guy in all of this for not wanting to pay outrageous prices for the Yankees.

gently caress sports as a business.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

FunOne posted:

Someone is definitely doing the analysis at MLB:

https://cdn.oreillystatic.com/en/as...resentation.pdf

Mods, please change my name to Team Avidity Metric

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has anyone here used IPOP tv as a streaming service? My sister is asking (she thinks it will have the Marquee network for cubs games) but I cannot find much information on what channels they offer.

https://ipoptv.net

Looks like some scammy bullshit to me, op.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

OSI 74 is the best Roku Channel

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

From what I recall when I was giving it a test drive a year or so ago, "no-ads" only affects the on-demand and regular Hulu library. I don't recall any additional ads watching Live TV as compared to PS Vue or Sling.

I only use Hulu for their library stuff, and let me tell you, their ads are the worst. Especially the “choose your manner of torture” ad breaks.

Pay the extra money if you love your parents.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Minidust posted:

Cases like this make me wonder why more services don't offer true "channel surfing" in their UI.

If you are channel surfing you don't really want to watch tv, you just can't think of anything better to do.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

BonoMan posted:

So - finally cutting the cable.

Comcast is turned off Dec 8th.

Fiber is installed Dec 9th.

I have YouTubeTV (and Netflix, Disney +, Hulu, Prime and several other services).

With YouTubeTV they gave me a chromecast.

I have a TCL 6 Series (2019) and a 5 Series (2019).

Is there a benefit to using the Chromecast over any of the built in Roku apps?

No. I have a couple of TCL and the Roku platform works perfectly.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What is the difference, if any, between using HBO Max standalone and adding it as a Prime Video channel?

If I did the latter, could I access it on my Roku?

Just having everything in one app basically.

Yes you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

There's also the upcoming Bally Sports platform, which means you can give your money to Sinclair directly.

Lol I’m not. gently caress Sinclair.