Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you're making a new thread, here's a peaceful image for the OP.

Also, a list of referendum related blogs, and campaign sites:

News & Comment

Bella Caledonia
Wings Over Scotland
Newsnet Scotland
Independence Daily
Business For Scotland
Wealthy Nation

Blogs

Lallands Peat Worrier Blog
Derek Bateman Blog
Lesley Riddoch Blog
Craig Murray Blog

Campaigns

National Collective
Common Weal
Radical Independence Campaign
Women For Independence
Scottish CND
Labour For Independence
Vote No Borders
Better Together
Yes Scotland

Poll Analysis :suicide:

SCOT goes POP!
What Scotland Thinks

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
When are there some new polls out?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

I prefer this one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Hoops posted:

Make a Scottish Politics thread if you want, it doesn't have to take over this thread.

I feel like most of scottish politics is inevitably going to be tied up with the referendum in one way or another, at least for the next three months or so. If we're going to have two threads I'd like the second one to be entirely for amateur psephology, definitions of what a language is, and arguing over who is and is not a true scotsman so nobody else has to read that, but I figure that's just me.

In other news, this has sprung up in the last few days, and might lead somewhere interesting:

quote:

The National Council for Scotland project aims to ensure that the widest range of public opinion is reflected in negotiations with the rest of the UK (rUK) in the event of a Yes vote.

Instead of "a new Scotland based on the cynicism of the old Britain", with the great and good of politics and commerce pursuing their own agendas, organisers want the whole of Scotland to have a say in redesigning the country.

Areas for debate after a Yes vote would include currency options, sharing the UK national debt, sharing UK assets, and whether Scotland should be part of UK energy and banking regimes.

Among those supporting today's launch of the website nationalcouncilscotland.org are authors Alan Bissett and James Robertson, below, broadcaster Lesley Riddoch, actor David Hayman, Electoral Reform Society director Willie Sullivan, and academic Dr Oliver Escobar.

http://nationalcouncilscotland.org/
http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/move-to-stop-politicians-carving-up-an-indy-scotland.24311456
and here's Robin McAlpine being Robin McAlpine on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z2hTvGaPT4

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I prefer this one.

The Camermond looks terrifyingly like Mark from Peep Show.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

The Camermond looks terrifyingly like Mark from Peep Show.

One of them has an air of Craig Revel Horwood about him.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

quote:

Areas for debate after a Yes vote would include currency options, sharing the UK national debt, sharing UK assets, and whether Scotland should be part of UK energy and banking regimes.

What's the point in debating things that could only be decided in negotiations between the UK and an independent Scotland?

Or is it really a way for people to put their hands up and volunteer to form part of a Scottish negotiation team?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

What's the point in debating things that could only be decided in negotiations between the UK and an independent Scotland?
Because you have to have some sort of positions before you go into negotiations?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Yeah, Pissflaps, don't be dense. You can't criticise the Yes campaign for going forward with no valid bargaining position then criticise them again for trying to work one out before they need it.

That picture has an unfortunate vibe to it. :confused:

"Hello little girl... would you like to see an independent Scotland? I'll give you sweeties if you vote Yes."

(Not casting aspersions that Salmond is Uncle Nobby, by the way, the pic just weirded me out a bit.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 30, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

You can't criticise the Yes campaign for going forward with no valid bargaining position then criticise them again for trying to work one out before they need it.

I haven't personally criticised anyone for this though?

And while I can take the point about working out pre-negotiation positions, I don't think it can achieve this as a pressure group with no mandate. I still think it's more about people sticking their hands up for the actual negotiations where the carving up of the UK would be decided.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

And while I can take the point about working out pre-negotiation positions, I don't think it can achieve this as a pressure group with no mandate. I still think it's more about people sticking their hands up for the actual negotiations where the carving up of the UK would be decided.

The point is that the pressure group wouldn't be the one working out pre-negotiation positions. The thing the group is pressuring for is that the people making these decisions are chosen fairly in a way that represents and involves as much of Scotland as possible, rather than the population being expected to just go back home and have a wee sleep while the big clever politicians work this all out for you. From their website:

quote:

This proposal does not seek to present a single blueprint for a participative process ?there are different approaches and different configurations within any given approach. It is simply an attempt to outline the broad principles and what they might look like in practice.

Immediately after a Yes vote the Scottish Government will begin to appoint a negotiating team to negotiate the terms of Scottish independence. The core of this will be individuals with the best negotiating skills available which would be likely to involve people from political, trade union, business and legal spheres.

However the terms on which they negotiate the mandate they are given should be established through a participative national debate. So in parallel the Scottish Government or Scottish Parliament should set up a National Council.

This body would have the purpose of involving the widest range of people and organisations possible in a national debate on what Scotland should seek from negotiations on the terms of independence. The National Council would not be a consultative body asking others what they think but a facilitation body enabling different groups to come together and shape shared thinking. Its purpose would be to develop guidance on the key issues that negotiators will have to deal with. It would be given a fairly tight timescale to do this.

There are many practices that can be used to enable the people of Scotland to provide an informed view on what they want for their country. A variety of processes should be used to ensure as broad a range of citizen input in public debate as possible. This may include citizens’ juries, public hearings and an electronic town hall where thousands of citizens would virtually assemble to debate and vote on these suggestions and to formalise agenda items for the final part of the process.

The end of the process would involve a ‘Citizens’ Assembly’. This would be made up of people selected from Scotland at random but with an overall profile which reflects the make-up of Scotland in terms of age, income, gender, geographical location, race and so on. They would have perhaps six weeks to be presented all the views, ideas and proposals developed by the National Council and to work towards a consentbased conclusion on the outcomes sought. They would have the ability to call witnesses, commission research, seek expert advice or anything else they require to make their decision. The conclusions they reach would form the mandate for the negotiators.

The proposals are in the early days at the moment but I like the direction it's going in.

Also who the hell thought that picture with Salmond and the ice cream was a good idea, who the hell in the SNP let that picture even happen

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Unless they go back and tighten their wording a bit the Electoral Commission might have decided that anybody tweeting about the referendum needs to have their contact details published on their twitter page.

:downsbravo:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
A ScotPol thread would be fantastic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Someone really didn't examine all the consequences there, did they?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Someone really didn't examine all the consequences there, did they?

That has to be a photoshop

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

That has to be a photoshop

I suppose it could be. Looking at it again the perspective does seem slightly off on the near side. If so it's a pretty good one, though, because they left the reflected light in.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looks like legit lens distortion to me, but I'm sure that one could find out for sure by hanging around Edinburgh Waverley for a few hours.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

big scary monsters posted:

Looks like legit lens distortion to me, but I'm sure that one could find out for sure by hanging around Edinburgh Waverley for a few hours.

I was more thinking that it's nuts Scotrail would allow that kind of thing on the side of one of their trains. A saltire sure, but not Salmond holding the white paper. It's too overtly political (and Yes support-implicit)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

ThomasPaine posted:

I was more thinking that it's nuts Scotrail would allow that kind of thing on the side of one of their trains. A saltire sure, but not Salmond holding the white paper. It's too overtly political (and Yes support-implicit)

On the Lying Scotsman?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Delusibeta posted:

On the Lying Scotsman?

What?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Delusibeta posted:

On the Lying Scotsman?

You know it's the Flying Scotsman, right?

Unfortunate placement of the letter F crossed with a dash of photoshop equals hashtag indyref twitter meme.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 1, 2014

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

twoot posted:

meta: Given that we are now in the "official campaigning period" I was thinking it'd be a good time for a new thread. The OP is 2 years out of date and OP hasn't posted in nearly as long. Does anyone have anything they think would be good to add to it other than the basic background? I was thinking of writing one over the next day or so.

Are you still doing this, twoot? If not I'm currently putting together a draft of a new Scottish Politics/Referendum Chat OP. Suggestions for witty thread titles appreciated.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

From yougov:

Not feeling the love, rUK

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Angepain posted:

Are you still doing this, twoot? If not I'm currently putting together a draft of a new Scottish Politics/Referendum Chat OP. Suggestions for witty thread titles appreciated.

I haven't had time unfortunately, you can have it.

The only thing I had thought about was explaining our mess of a constitutional setup, also using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

"The Scottish Independence Referendum thread (also ScotPol and saucechat)"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

bitterandtwisted posted:

From yougov:

Not feeling the love, rUK

With 34% of Scots wanting to leave the EU, and even more in the rest of the rest of the UK feeling the same way, it's not surprising that so many would want Scotland to be unable to rejoin the EU. I'm not sure it's fair to use it as evidence of anti-Scottish feeling.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

With 34% of Scots wanting to leave the EU, and even more in the rest of the rest of the UK feeling the same way, it's not surprising that so many would want Scotland to be unable to rejoin the EU. I'm not sure it's fair to use it as evidence of anti-Scottish feeling.
The same poll asked whether their own countries should be in or out of the EU and GB was barely above average in its Euroscepticism.

(I figure the actual question given to Norway was worded differently)

Anti-Scottish might be overstating it, but many English people who've quizzed me on the subject (I'm in England so this happens a lot) react badly to my being pro, and basically respond with "you'll fail and come crawling back and we'll say no, you ungrateful scrounger", which I think is the effect here.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 2, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

bitterandtwisted posted:

GB was barely above average in its Euroscepticism.

It's ludicrous to use the Norwegian result as part of the "average" since they'd have answered a completely different question (probably "would you be in favour of joining the EU?"). The average difference between "remain" and "leave" for the six EU countries was 15%. The UK difference was 1%. That is not "barely above average" euroscepticism.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Okay, here's my attempt at a new thread. Now featuring: lots and lots of words. Suggestions welcome.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

Okay, here's my attempt at a new thread. Now featuring: lots and lots of words. Suggestions welcome.

I thought the idea was to make a general thread for Scottish politics, leaving this one for referendum, poll and linguistic chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Thats a pretty good thread though.

• Locked thread