Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

quote:

What is a Scottish citizen as defined by the voting rules, and how is it different from people resident in Scotland?

I'm not sure what as meant by Scottish citizen, but...

https://consult.scotland.gov.uk/scotreferendum

Chapter 2 posted:

2.10 As proposed in the Scottish Government's 2010 consultation paper, and following the precedent of the 1997 referendum, eligibility to vote in the referendum will be based on that for Scottish Parliament and Scottish local government elections.

2.11 The following groups of people will therefore be entitled to vote in the referendum:

British citizens resident in Scotland
Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland
citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland
members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland
Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the Armed Forces or with Her Majesty's Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

quote:

If I or someone like me was to move North of the border, would that make me eligible to vote?

Yes.

quote:

What about someone born in Scotland but currently residing elsewhere in the UK?

No.

quote:

And non UK citizens living in Scotland.

I'm tempted to say yes, but it might only be for British, Commonwealth and EU Citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

quote:

I suppose it could be great for Scotland if it worked out how I assume many envisage in that the Oil fields could make the country quite wealthy, becoming a bit more economically and politically like a nordic state?

Oil and the resulting wealth is definitely a huge issue and has been for some time, to the point of things like this coming out. It's probably worth a read for anyone thinking about oil in relation to Scotland.

quote:

I really want the Union to stay together. I feel the exact same way about Wales, although since I have a lot of family there, I have a stronger investment. The UK has a strong shared history. Through two World Wars, and even Bonaparte, a strong united UK has bennefitted the people of the isles.

The "social union" as the SNP calls it will remain in tact. There's little reason to believe independence would mean families being broken up or harsh immigrations controls popping up so I can't see why having family in other parts of the UK would be an argument against independence or why you would need the Union because of family, but that's probably wandering into opinion territory.

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 15, 2012

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

quote:

and with less foreign investment

Why would there be more foreign investment now than as an independent nation controlling it's own policy and finances, especially if you believe the SNPs shite about lowering corporation tax and bending over backwards to make Scotland more attractive for foreign investment? The only things I can find about this particular problem seem to be positive, even from the BBC?

quote:

That's without even touching on the loss of influence on the international scale, such as G8, UN Security Council and NATO membership.

It would be better for us to focus on our ability and right to control the affairs of our nation rather than our ability to interfere in the affairs of other nations, no?

quote:

But this doesn't come to the crux of the issue. The main driving argument for independence is this: That the people best fit to make decisions about the future direction of their country are those that care most about their country, I.E those that live in the country.

But really, this hits the nail right on the head for the lack of a less awkward phrase.

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 15, 2012

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Jedit posted:

While vaguely on the subject, can anyone explain why the SNP did so well in the Scottish Parliament elections while continuing to do so poorly in General Elections?

Slightly anecdotal, but based on the comments I've heard people say about how they vote SNP in the Scottish Parliament elections but there being no point in voting for them in the General Elections because they won't get in I've always assumed that tactical voting was a big part of it.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

breaklaw posted:

Also, thinking about the bloody guerilla war that led to todays celebrations and then seeing this guy Salmond act as if he and his cabinet are just going to sit quietly in a room and cherry pick everything they want from future cooperation and then sell that to the people as "this is what will happen if you vote yes!" is hillarious. I hope they do vote yes in 2014 and Westminister just shrugs, says "thanks for your suggestion" and moves back to business as usual.

gently caress Democracy (that doesn't suit us) certainly wouldn't be a new position for them at least. I'm not sure why you'd wish for that though, especially if you believe the only way for Scotland to go independent would require at least one (1) William Wallaces.

If Salmond did go around trying to negotiate things how things would go for an independent Scotland before a referendum happened I imagine all that would happen would be a weak bargaining position and an endless slew of people moaning about how arrogant he is for assuming he's already won. It is rather hard to negotiate things for your independence when the votes aren't in. Most of it isn't too farfetched assuming you don't take the position that England will immediately erect a new Berlin Wall and go on a quest to gently caress Scotland forever.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

feedmegin posted:

If Scotland votes yes to independence, Challenger tanks will not in fact be rolling down the Royal Mile past Scots hanged from the lampposts. This is not the 18th century.

To be fair the last time we had tanks rolling down our streets was in the 20th century, that was more George Square than Royal Mile though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

The Corporate posted:

Anyone else in George Square yesterday to watch Alex Salmond get loudly booed by the public? Almost as cringeworthy as Osborne's incident at the Paralympics. There was another, louder boo when he was invited to speak but I can't find footage of it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2OJl4cgpSQ

I was just about to complain about that loving abomination that is the giant Olympic rings they threw up in George Square while my back was turned (Reportedly the biggest set of rings too. Just our luck, eh?) but googling to find out exactly when they got put up reveals they're apparently getting taken down on Monday, and thank gently caress for that.

Considering there also seemed to be quite a few cheers it doesn't seem "Almost as cringeworthy" as George Osbornes 0 audible cheers but I haven't heard the "louder boo" yet.

• Locked thread