Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Red7 posted:

Wouldn't this (for the most part) be served by Devolution Max? Frankly I think an Independent Scotland will damage both the UK and Scotland's ability to act on the world stage. The UN Security Council membership and bodies like NATO are about much more than invading other countries, the same with nuclear weapons, its how the UK has managed to retain as much clout as it does and the loss of that is going to have knock on effects on how we interact with other countries across a broad range of topics.

The same with the armed forces, it will do damage to an already weakened defense establishment (since the cuts) and almost certainly result in the MoD propping up whatever Scotland develops.

I understand that Scotland wants independence, but as far as I see it they are loping off limbs to pursue a nationalist agenda which might not be as fantastic as everyone thinks once the dust settles. Devolution Max seems like much more of a sensible route to take, which I suspect is why the SNP is pushing for 16 year olds to vote, who will almost certainly vote independence regardless.

What "clout" do you perceive the UK as having? What is the net benefit of this clout? In the past decade it seems that the military component to this clout has consisted of burning money and lives in fighting the US's war against Islam. I guess it does help ward off Argentinian aggression towards the Falklanders but that doesn't really benefit anyone in Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread