Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Gravity Falls is a brand new animated series airing on The Disney Channel. It follows the adventures of twin siblings Dipper and Mabel pines, who have been shipped off to live with their Great Uncle Stan (aka Grunkle Stan) in Gravity Falls, Oregon. So far, it seems like Gravity Falls is sort of a strange mix of Twin Peaks, Psychonauts, and Regular Show. Gravity Falls, however, has more to it than meets the eye, and Dipper and Mabel must work together to discover just what is behind these mysterious goings-on.

The show is created by Alex Hirsch, who has written for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack as well as Fish Hooks. The show boasts some of the most gorgeous animation on televison, a cast of instantly likeable characters, and some exceptionally good music. The intro ought to be enough to sell you on the show alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctX771EQeA&hd=1

The main characters show a childlike innocence often lost in modern children's shows, devoid of cynicism and bursting with charm. So far, it looks like the show will probably (based on previews on Disney's youtube channel) follow a monster of the week format along with an overall story arc.

In addition, the show seems as though it will be full of little hidden messages. There are at least two Caeser cyphers in the show, for example. The first one is in the opening credits (below), and it reads (slight spoiler) STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS. The second one, in the end credits, simply reads "WELCOME TO GRAVITY FALLS." There's some other ones that people will probably discuss in the thread - see if you can find them!

The show is currently airing on The Disney Channel on Fridays at 8:30 PM Central time. Unfortunately we skip two weeks before the next one, and the second episode will be airing on June 29. Until then, you can watch the first episode for free on iTunes! Once the show has started airing properly, you will probably be able to buy new episodes on iTunes as well.

Let me know if there's anything I should add to the OP. I will be updating this as the show goes on. I'm totally in love with it and I just can't wait to see more.

And just so we're totally clear: Mabel is the best character in the show.

Poultron fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
It's amazing that for a network that for the past decade or so has made cheesy tween sitcoms their bedrock, Disney Channel (as well as their sister...er, brother network, Disney XD) is gradually shifting towards animation, always Disney's forte- and good animation at that. Phineas and Ferb became such an unexpected success that they're welcoming creative talent who actually want to work there, and they definitely seem to be reaping the benefits. Unlike, say, Fish Hooks, which seems like a neutered Cartoon Network show, Gravity Falls is somehow able to delicately balance the unabashed quirkiness of a Cartoon Network series like Regular Show and a Disney "heart", as it were (perhaps it's because the main characters are children having fun while exploring the wilderness). Much like Ferb, it seems "un-Disney" and "Disney" at the same time...and I think it's even better than P&F.

This really seems like an "experimental" show for Disney. I hope it does well, as I think if it does, it will prove even more so than Ferb that Disney can have unique animated series coming out and that audiences both young and old are willing to watch. Also, the twist in the middle of the pilot (which I'm not going to give away) is unexpected and hilarious. If it doesn't sell you on this show, nothing will.

As far as what should be said about the show, a mention of the voice talent is warranted- especially Kristen Schaal as Mabel, though I'm taking a shine to Hirsch's two characters, Grunkle Stan and Soos. Also, here's two great articles where Hirsch tells about the show, how it came to be, and what we'll see in the future- MTV Geek and The Oregonian. (Much like Hirsch, I am now intrigued by Boring, Oregon and want to visit it based on its name alone.)

By the way...GRAPPLING HOOK!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I like that this basically the tv show.

The first episode was pretty good and while I don't know if I would say some of the voices fit the characters they were still pretty good. I don't think Stan's voice fits how he looks or how he acts which I guess is a pretty small thing. Enjoyable writing and decent enough plot line.

I'll definitely keep watching it if only because these strange rear end shows like Adventure Time are so good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Had no idea the first episode was free, downloading it now, looks right up my alley.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

One of the artists behind the show (and Wreck-It Ralph) has a tumblr, http://joedrawsstuff.tumblr.com/.

E: Swag

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 17, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Just caught the pilot and yeah, definitely hopping on the "Mabel is the best character" bandwagon. Although Soos and his pinata awareness gives her a run for her money.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Glitterbomber posted:

Had no idea the first episode was free, downloading it now, looks right up my alley.

And where is this download exactly? I'm interested in seeing this, but I can't find the sneak peek anywhere online. :(

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Macrame_God posted:

And where is this download exactly? I'm interested in seeing this, but I can't find the sneak peek anywhere online. :(

The pilot episode's free on iTunes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This show is like a Grickle cartoon but with 10 bags of sugar and a bowl of syrup mixed into the recipe. It's really fun.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

This show is so insanely gif-able.

Kissing practice.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

404GoonNotFound posted:

The pilot episode's free on iTunes.

Thanks. I haven't been on iTunes in ages so I guess that explains why I never found it.

I'm totally on board with this show. It looks great, the characters are wonderful and it's genuinely funny. My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that Dipper and Mabel's voices sound a bit too mature for their age. I wouldn't change them or anything, but it is a little jarring to hear what are pretty much adult voices coming out of their mouths.

And yes, Mabel is the best character. I guess she's just irresistible.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Winklebottom posted:

Kissing practice.

I only had a medium amount of interest until I saw these two gifs and now I think I have to see this, the animation looks so drat fluid and good :psyduck:

edit: I'm not going to watch this, I'm going to watch that pig's face or a few hours, these gifs are too hypnotic

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 17, 2012

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Kristen Schaal: Queen of Voicing Adorably Insane Little Girls

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Kristen Schaal: Queen of Voicing Adorably Insane Little Girls

The Internet works quickly.

Maharajadhiraja
Apr 6, 2009
That was great! I was a bit skeptical at first but figured I'd give it a shot, really enjoyed the first episode.

I like the theme song too, I've put it up here in case anyone wants to download it: http://soundcloud.com/cptalfaz/gravity-falls-theme :) I think I'll make it my new ringtone

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
The amount of crazy conspiracy theory stuff they threw in the intro is pretty great

Also the hand on the book has 6 fingers

There's a conspiracy where people who have six fingers are given high positions and jobs that rule the world.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Conspiracy stuff, the fancy window in that one room where Dipper reads the book where he theorizes that Norman is a zombie has the pyramid with an eye symbol in it. Maybe it's just me playing The Secret World recently, but I'm seeing that symbol a lot in this show.

Also, this show is just so great in pretty much every way. Worst things I could find are some moments where things didn't match up between scenes, like the fallen tree lying one way in one cut and the other way the next, and those are really minor.

My point is that you have to look hard to find anything wrong with this show and it's wonderful. Watch it. Repeatedly.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Hahahaha I loved Gold Men with Chains magazine. This is really a good show, great animation, good jokes, interesting characters. The only thing I'm not really clear on is how old the kids are.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Hahahaha I loved Gold Men with Chains magazine. This is really a good show, great animation, good jokes, interesting characters. The only thing I'm not really clear on is how old the kids are.

10-12, but really, it's like Calvin- they act as old as they need to.

I love you Shmebulock

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 17, 2012

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

I love you Shmebulock

Shmebulock!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

I like to imagine that none of the other gnomes do that.

Just Shmebulock.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man, this looks great. I wish I had a way to see it that didn't involve iTunes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IRQ posted:

Man, this looks great. I wish I had a way to see it that didn't involve iTunes.
Most Disney shows end up on Netflix so you'll be able to watch it there eventually.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Finally, Oregon gets some more love from animators. Been too long since Coraline.

Also, Boring, Oregon really is as boring as its name suggests. We tend to stop there on our way to Government Camp, Oregon. Yeah, we're full of awesome names :c00l:.

Haha, oh my god, partially inspired by the Oregon Vortex. My dad almost got us banned there :allears:. And my mother was one of those Herman the Sturgeon groupies. Man, people talk about Oregon like it's crazy and I'm like, "Nah, not really," and then I'm like "Oh wait, actually possibly yes."

E: Oh my god this is clearly the best show ever made. "This is in case you see a pinata."

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 17, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't imagine any one is happy to find their vacation is going to 'Government Camp, Oregon'

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Winklebottom posted:

I swear to god they built this show from the ground up with gifs in mind. It works way too well.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Did someone say .gifs? I guess they're just...

EDIT:

Also, grappling hook.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Glitterbomber posted:

I can't imagine any one is happy to find their vacation is going to 'Government Camp, Oregon'

My Hood Skibowl posted:

The Pacific Northwest’s only ½ Mile Dual Alpine Slide, this major attraction sends you flying down a half mile track of twists and turns through mountain meadows before dropping you back off in the base area of Skibowl West. Two side-by-side tracks let you ride alongside family and friends as you take banked turns, S-curves and hairpin thrills at the speed of your choice.

Start with a leisurely trip up the mountain on the Scenic Sky Chairs, and then prepare for a roller coaster ride down the mountain. You’ll drop 350 feet over the half mile ride with average speeds around 20 MPH as you wind your way down the track. Speeds of up to 37 MPH have been reached but with the brakes at your fingertips, you’re always in control. [Note: That last part is a lie]
:colbert:

Jzmisgoo posted:

The amount of crazy conspiracy theory stuff they threw in the intro is pretty great

There's a conspiracy where people who have six fingers are given high positions and jobs that rule the world.
It's worth noting that Maybel's star is surrounding the central figure, as well as Dipper's hat logo and the big "?" that Snoos wears. The crab claw shape at 3-o-clock is on Grunkle Stan's hat, too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good lord the animation in all of these gifs is so loving pretty. I hope it didn't cost too much, because it looks way expensive compared to Adventure Time and Regular Show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Most Disney shows end up on Netflix so you'll be able to watch it there eventually.

I'll catch it when it airs for real, but I desire instant gratification!

This show had me at "Kristen Schall."

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Good lord the animation in all of these gifs is so loving pretty. I hope it didn't cost too much, because it looks way expensive compared to Adventure Time and Regular Show.

I doubt they would have taken a risk on a show like this from a relative unknown if it were that much more expensive. At least, I hope that's the case. I really can't get enough of this gorgeous animation.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I got the free download on itunes. I am now looking forward to new episodes. I am hooked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, the Tumblr also has production art of this yet-unreleased guy who has another of the signs from the mysterious circle. It's definitely one spot per character. I can't figure out what Wendy's could be though.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Pick posted:

Oh, the Tumblr also has production art of this yet-unreleased guy who has another of the signs from the mysterious circle. It's definitely one spot per character. I can't figure out what Wendy's could be though.

I hope he's a vampire

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jzmisgoo posted:

I hope he's a vampire

I don't know about him, but there's more info on the Facebook page, which includes character ages:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't get why they call Soos a man-child. He more or less acts as the all knowing older brother type of useless information almost like Skips from Regular Show. From his initial description I thought he would be like Comic Book Guy or some Kevin Smith character with alot of hang-ups, but he seems well balanced and sagely.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Hmm, I'm assuming this is going to go mystery of the week style?
I've never kept up with a cartoon before, but if this is going to have an actual story on top of the humor then I might start.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Vaerai Archon posted:

I don't get why they call Soos a man-child. He more or less acts as the all knowing older brother type of useless information almost like Skips from Regular Show. From his initial description I thought he would be like Comic Book Guy or some Kevin Smith character with alot of hang-ups, but he seems well balanced and sagely.

Soos is the goon of the group, of course. They just forgot to give him a neckbeard.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
Did anyone else catch the secret message at the end of the credits? Right at the very end it says:

ZHOFRPH WR JUDYLWB IDOOV

Looks like a simple cryptogram, it says: WELCOME TO GRAVITY FALLS The show is cool enough, but if they keep putting in codes every week, I think I may be hooked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Those gifs are pretty adorable. Looks interesting, Rob Renzetti is working on the show as well, he's done a bunch of cool stuff in the past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Renzetti

• Locked thread