Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Question posted:

I need one of those time travel things so I can arrange for a Point and Click adventure based on this show, made by (good old) Lucas Arts, to be released right now.

If you mean people like Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, you could hope for something from Double Fine Productions.

Wasn't there a Gravity Falls point-and-click adventure game on Disney's official website, stupidly inaccessible to non-American people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tigsaw posted:

I felt kind of bad for Robbie in the hoodie-future, dude's kind of a jerk, but he's just being a moodie teen.
It was funny seeing him continuing to walk around the fair afterwards with just his nose visible though.

I don't think Robbie's too bad. He's set up as a bit of an antagonist, Wendy-wise, but he isn't like Gideon or Pacifica or anything like that.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Crasscrab posted:

I'm in love with the fact that Gregg Turkington (AKA Neil Hamburger) does the voice for Toby Determined, the old timey reporter. If you're not familiar with Turkington's stand-up comedy character Neil Hamburger you should know that he's got quite the vulgar shtick, comprising primarily of him getting up on the stage, hacking and coughing a lot, insulting the audience, drinking from one of the multiple drinks he slowly collects in his arms as his routine progresses, and telling horrible jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnbxe_8GYtU

:asoiaf:
I legitimately had no idea he voiced Toby. He's the last person I'd expect to ever be on a vaguely popular kid's show.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 20, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

I don't think Robbie's too bad. He's set up as a bit of an antagonist, Wendy-wise, but he isn't like Gideon or Pacifica or anything like that.

Yeah, he's not set up as a bad guy the way Gideon is. Gideon is straight up a bad guy. And I would say even Pacifica is more in the same vein as Robbie. He's really more of an obstacle for Dipper to overcome. In fact I wouldn't he surprised if he and Dipper have to work together to save Wendy for whatever reason.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Ahhhhhh THIS SHOW, YOU GUYS.

I really can't think of anything that expresses my love for this show enough. It is so good. So, so good. Six seasons and a movie.

My wife and I went back to those three episodes and it was non-stop "AHHHHHHHH THERE HE IS". It was DELIGHTFUL. And why was giant time baby destroying the future? WE NEED TO KNOW!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pksage posted:

And why was giant time baby destroying the future? WE NEED TO KNOW!

Because.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

Friends Are Evil posted:

:asoiaf:
I legitimately had no idea he voiced Toby. He's the last person I'd expect to ever be on a vaguely popular kid's show.

He also did a lot of voices in The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Right, but he was leading the time police! Why did he eventually turn extra-evil and destroy the world? :aaaaa:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pksage posted:

Right, but he was leading the time police! Why did he eventually turn extra-evil and destroy the world? :aaaaa:

Possibly he wasn't evil, just misunderstood. Babies are notoriously hard to understand.

Anyway we don't know if he became or was, because timebaby and all that, chronology with time travellers can be a bitch.

Also the number the kid on the Oregon trail typed on the calculator was 666. Pretty sure the calculator its the devils calculator. :tinfoil:

This probably would of been important later on if it hadn't been carelessly lost in time

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dr_rat posted:

This probably would of been important later on if it hadn't been carelessly lost in time

It hasn't.

Dipper yanks it pack from the pioneer boy and puts it in his pocket. It falls from it while they're running along the beach of the Gobblewonker episode, and Blendin grabs it back.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Cat Mattress posted:

If you mean people like Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, you could hope for something from Double Fine Productions.

But the future isn't now! Unless...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Is there any chance someone can create an animated gif avatar of the Paper Jam Dipper death? I might go as far as changing my SA name to it.

Mineshaft Canary
Aug 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Time Traveler's Pig was great, even if parts of it didn't make sense.

Why would Pacifica want the pig anyway? Why couldn't Mabel have won it before Dipper threw the baseball? What good would Blendin's cloaking do if his big bald head was still visible? Why isn't he genetically engineered like everyone else from the future? Wasn't Oregon underwater during the cretaceous?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mineshaft Canary posted:

The Time Traveler's Pig was great, even if parts of it didn't make sense.

Why would Pacifica want the pig anyway? Why couldn't Mabel have won it before Dipper threw the baseball? What good would Blendin's cloaking do if his big bald head was still visible? Why isn't he genetically engineered like everyone else from the future? Wasn't Oregon underwater during the cretaceous?

No, that was before it was even a state!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The problem with time travel is that it makes me go all

quote:

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:
:goonsay:

I know they didn't want to make a redux of Double Dipper, but shouldn't the mystery twins have run into the original timeline and time-displaced copies of themselves? When they go back to the previous episodes, dropping various items, they don't replace the Dippers and Mabels from back then, so why do they replace the Dippers and Mabels from the fair?

And why didn't Dipper get the idea of simply getting the pig first (it takes what, two minutes) and then getting the stuffed animal? Or if he thinks Mabel would be too distracted to help with his plan, get the pig, come back in time with the pig, hide it somewhere, give Wendy the plush, and give Mabel the pig. The only real problem is that it would have made the story suffer for the character's sake; instead of vice-versa as appropriate.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cat Mattress posted:

I know they didn't want to make a redux of Double Dipper, but shouldn't the mystery twins have run into the original timeline and time-displaced copies of themselves? When they go back to the previous episodes, dropping various items, they don't replace the Dippers and Mabels from back then, so why do they replace the Dippers and Mabels from the fair?

And why didn't Dipper get the idea of simply getting the pig first (it takes what, two minutes) and then getting the stuffed animal? Or if he thinks Mabel would be too distracted to help with his plan, get the pig, come back in time with the pig, hide it somewhere, give Wendy the plush, and give Mabel the pig. The only real problem is that it would have made the story suffer for the character's sake; instead of vice-versa as appropriate.

Yeah how time travel works in this makes no sense, but as you said it really didn't matter as it was all for the sake of just telling the story they wanted. The shows always pretty goofy with science/physics/reality in general, so the way time travel works making no sense, makes a lot of sense.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Maybe you'll never replace the version of you from the time you originally came from, or you never replace the you from the 'present'? That would also mean that the time travelers are, even from their own perspective, from the future.

I'm really enjoying the show but I find the whole Dipper in love with Wendy gags painful to watch, the poor guy is just setting himself up for disappointment and I just find it more awkward and sad than actually funny. I never usually find that kinda thing funny though, and Dipper and Wendy goofing around together more than make up for it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
^^^ I find the Dipper being in love with Wendy stuff cute even though it's going to end in disappointment for him.

Cat Mattress posted:

That can be explained easy enough I think. The three places they go where they were at, they were only there for a few seconds. It either doesn't matter when you're only there for that short of a time, or Dipper and Mabel were just displaced for that few seconds, so no one noticed. Either way I think they are in those locations for far too short a time for it to matter.

As for the other one, Dipper wasn't focused on anything but winning over Wendy. Nothing else mattered to him. Plus how was he to know that she'd lose the pig by not doing everything as it played out?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cat Mattress posted:

Well, then there would have been two versions of Waddles. Blendin probably would have fixed that when he resolved the paradoxes. And even if he hadn't, one of them would be stuck with Pacifica. I can't imagine Mabel would be happy with that outcome.

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin
I like to think that if they tried winning Waddles earlier, Mabel would've just met the same frustrating fate over and over, seeing as the twins seem afflicted with a "time curse". Also, after Dipper discovers that Mabel really needs that pig, we basically cut to a resolution, so maybe an earlier draft tried fitting this issue in at that point. As is, the pacing at the end is great though, so I didn't find the open-endedness too distracting.

Also I thought this was great, and it makes for some nice :unsmith: after this thread's reflections on PJD:

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Gravity Falls wiki.
http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/Gravity_Falls_Wiki
Wendy's last name is Corduroy?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know where they got that idea from since Wendy is Manly Dans' daughter, and they list his full name as just "Dan".

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ignimbrite posted:

I don't know where they got that idea from since Wendy is Manly Dans' daughter, and they list his full name as just "Dan".

Someone asked Hirsch on Twitter.
Also Mabel and Dipper's eyes would be brown were they not cartoon black dot eyes.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

GonSmithe posted:

Someone asked Hirsch on Twitter.
Also Mabel and Dipper's eyes would be brown were they not cartoon black dot eyes.

I keep hoping that we'll get a Ren and Stimpy-esque horrifyingly detailed close-up, as recently made popular again by Spongebob, Adventure Time, etc. Though if we do, it'll probably be of Stan, and I guess if we didn't get one while he was getting a makeover...

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.
Just started this show last night, so wonderful and great. Was it just me or was Dipper's temporary tattoos in Dipper vs. Manliness a MR COOL ICE reference? There is no way it can't be.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

God damnit stop sperging over how time travel works. It worked in the way it need to tell a good story and that's all that ever matters.

On a more important note: near the end when Stan calls out the crowd on having empty pockets there's a brief shot of a walleyed yokel looking in said empty pocket. I haven't seen a gif of it but it seems like the most gifable thing!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Oh poo poo, Earl of Lemongrab as Blendin Baldin! Everything is different now!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crasscrab posted:

Everything is different now!

Easily my favorite quote of the night. That or "His name is Waddles. I call him that because he WADDLES! Waaaadllles!"

Also, I know everybody's gushed about the opening of the show even back on page 1 before the whole thing even started airing, but I seriously cannot stop myself from smiling every time I see Mabel's ridiculous light-up sweater.

e: Whoops, added tags, forgot it was Thursday, not Friday.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 24, 2012

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shadow The Rat posted:

Just started this show last night, so wonderful and great. Was it just me or was Dipper's temporary tattoos in Dipper vs. Manliness a MR COOL ICE reference? There is no way it can't be.
I don't know about that, but I don't like where that flaming cobra tattoo is poking out from...

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I just started watching this show yesterday, and it is pretty much the biggest treat ever. Every character is hilarious to me, writing is pretty much all spot on (matrignomy was painful, though), and the plot has me hooked. Not to mention it has what has to be one of my favorite openings to any show!

I do hope we get some more Mabel-centric episodes though, since Dippers been getting a lot of the spotlight for the first season (even if The Hand That Rocks the Mabel was my favorite episode so far).

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.

I posted:

I don't know about that, but I don't like where that flaming cobra tattoo is poking out from...

I meant with the words on his arms less so than his chest, but I didn't notice that about the cobra

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
So, I'm loving this show, and I've watched several episodes already. Does anybody know where I can legally watch the latest few episodes, besides cable? I'd gladly pay for an iTunes Season Pass or something, but I've heard horror stories about that.

Disney's site has episodes that are a few weeks old, so I'll gladly wait if I can't find any resources about it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I'm loving this show, and I've watched several episodes already. Does anybody know where I can legally watch the latest few episodes, besides cable? I'd gladly pay for an iTunes Season Pass or something, but I've heard horror stories about that.

Disney's site has episodes that are a few weeks old, so I'll gladly wait if I can't find any resources about it.

I've had iTunes season passes for stuf in the past and have only had one minor complaint that was more the fault of the TV station than iTunes. I bought one for this show just recently, and it works fine. You don't get the episodes a week early like you do with On Demand, apparently, but you get them.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just caught something

There are two time devouring babies. Allthough one seems to be the good time enforcing baby which has blue markings and the time devouring one has the bad red markings. This is some Nozdormu level tomfoolery.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man, I'm finally able to watch the new one and it's great.

"I named him Waddles, because he waddles....WAAAAADLES!"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"Let's go find two dodos and force them to make out."

They call this sneaking past the radar for a reason.

e: Not the funniest episode but definitely the best writing wise especially when they tied everything together in the end.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 25, 2012

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
New favorite episode.

"I got some new tight pants. I thought Wendy might want to check them out."

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

That must have been one really well made porta-potty if it didn't allow any light inside. Didn't Stan say he spared every expense?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Mabel's gleefully irresponsible demonstration of future technology and culture to the settlers is probably the most realistic depiction of a child going back in time ever depicted.

Level Slide posted:

That must have been one really well made porta-potty if it didn't allow any light inside. Didn't Stan say he spared every expense?

I'd say a pitch-black porta-john is a cost-cutting measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Command Ant posted:

Mabel's gleefully irresponsible demonstration of future technology and culture to the settlers is probably the most realistic depiction of a child going back in time ever depicted.

Hey, guess who gets to vote in the future? LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIIIIIIIIIIIES!

• Locked thread