Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's not like living wax figures and hive gnomes are cryptids and that they can't make their own weird legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

IRQ posted:

I can't even describe how amusing it is to see one cartoon show fandom try so very hard to distance itself from another for literally no reason.

It's not distancing from loving bronies it's not being dumb. No one watching the show needs to draw ocs or give themselves a name or summon a Mabel Tulpa or write violent rapey fanfiction, not because bronies do all that but because it's all awful.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Quest For Glory II posted:

cool! Can I do one too!! Uh why am I asking, I just did it. It's here.

Far out, that's much better than the youtube one, captures far more of the instruments.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
anime, mlp, creepy people on the web, are all completely unrelated to gravity falls unless they count as cryptids.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
this tumblr post seems to have some compelling ideas

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Personally my personal high note for the show was the Inconveniencing, and none of the other episodes have reached that again, but the characters and dynamics they've set up still work well enough even in premises as weak as the manitaur episode.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They were all made by Kazy

Thought I'd give him credit.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Gir was far more random than Mabel, mostly because he was a retarded broken robot that could not think straight and was supposed to be a grating irritating pest who could not do anything right.

That the fandom thought he was cute and imitatable was not intentional, and in fact horrified Jhonen.

Mabel is a silly little girl who actually acts like a silly little girl.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Do we immediately have to resort to mocking each others points the moment someone talks about something you don't want to talk about.

Gravity Falls brought up gender roles explicitly when they started making jokes about "boys do this" and "girls do this", saying this straight up. It's annoying. It's like south park and "the truth is in the middle". Not everyone is going to find that kind of thing funny.

Whether or not you think it will affect kids, it's loving annoying and disappointing given the first four episodes. I really have not been feeling the last few episodes. At least there was some actual peril this episode but I'm tired of the Dipper/Wendy business, tired of Dipper's insecurity, tired of contrived sideplots for Mabel while Dipper goes on an adventure instead of the adventure being the focus of the episode like in the episodes about the gnomes, the wax statues, gideon, and the convienience store. Those four episodes were far smarter and funnier than.... whatever these episodes have been.

The post about "it's time we put sexism to rest in disney's kids shows" is a little telling - in the beginning people were comparing its humor to early simpsons and it seemed to have more for all ages.

Also, why are they bothering with those jokes when Wendy herself is a counterexample to just about every "girls do this" stereotype.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 10, 2012

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

Jesus christ this thread. Ten episodes in, "they're running out of ideas! :supaburn:"

There's plenty of ideas they just aren't using any good ones.
Dipper finds a magic __________ that does a thing and uses it to help him fail to ask wendy out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The end of the episode was annoying with both fawning over Wendy but it kind of shows you that Dipper will never have her and Rob will not be with her for long. It's a summer thing.

That's one of the thing that annoys me about this sideplot. In the hand that rocks the mabel, it was already shown wendy had a whole lot of past boyfriends, so she and rob aren't going to last and she's not going to go out with dipper either. The ending is clear.

And what happened to Mabel being boy-crazy? That was funny and would bring in a lot of strange characters. But instead we're focusing on Dipper's Wendy obsession, and it's getting more screentime than Wendy being awesome like she was in The Inconveniencing

Tarranon posted:

Yall is bananas, The Time Traveler's Pig, last week's episode, was Mabel heavy, moved the (can't believe I'm saying this) plot forward, and was hilarious and heartwarming to boot.

I didn't like the episode that much for whatever reason.

I kind of think past the Inconveniencing the show hasn't had the same tone and feel, and I just waiting for more episodes like the first five to happen.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Can we just ban anyone who says the word "pony" in this thread? Thanks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I wouldn't mind if they made Mabel boycrazy again, like in the first episode. I guess the gnomefriend cured her? I don't know, it was funny and it fit her and was a good vehicle for bringing in a weirdo a week. And it's not as annoying and angsty as Dipper and Zeno's Wendy where every episode he gets halfway to the Asking Wendy Out but not fully there.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Farbtoner posted:

It is kind of funny that we're complaining about two "Dipper pines (heh!) after Wendy, misadventures ensue" episodes when there were two "Mabel pines after a boy, misadventures ensue" episodes.

At least until you remember that Mabel owns.

inconveniencing, double dipper, time traveller's pig, fight fighters
Four episodes have involved Dipper trying to go to Wendy's.
Though inconveniencing almost doesn't count because it was so much more of a subtle factor in the plot compared to the latter three.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I personally think GF would work a little better as an adventure game, despite not liking those so much. GF's not really a show about fighting or acrobatics. Solving problems, decoding maps, talking to characters, investigating strange things seems more in line with the show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Occupation posted:

Was I the only one who saw Batboy: The Musical :smith:

In undergrad my college put on a performance of it. So I saw it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

JosefStalinator posted:

Lack of adventure time has spurred me to give this show a go, and I'm digging the first episode.

Definitely enjoyed the subtle money laundering that Gruncle Stan is engaging in when he tells them the store is "overstocked" and to pick an item, as he stuffs money into the register.

EDIT: Oh look, and now its explicit.

The last episode of season 4 aired yesterday and you're already suffering adventure time withdrawal? If you get hooked on this series, disney's bizarre scheduling might kill you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Harry posted:

The amount of GF fanfiction they're going to have to sort through is going to be intense.

Oh so many "Dipper meets Slenderman" fanfics.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
:mad: Disney and Hub are different companies and theres no real punchline to that joke. Bah.

Though the crying pony would be really funny if she was shopped and put next to an American Flag.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do we know at least when that episode the spoiler is in will air? I want to know when it's safe to look at anything Gravity Falls related on anyplace other than SA.

I doubt anyone here would be that stupid

And why would you want to go anywhere else to talk about this show, everyone else is dumb and creepy anyway gently caress 'em all

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

iostream.h posted:

I also wish I had a magic car that ran on my pee and drove itself.

Don't spoil the focuses of future episodes

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Dipper's crush is an incidental thing in The Inconveniencing. It's not his motive to "get" Wendy in that episode like it is in the following eps.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Just remind yourself that it's not season 3 of Avatar, where there was heavy continuity and huge developments and changes each episode and the ending was just drawn out to forever.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm currently throwing money at the animated sweet bro and hella jeff series kickstarter, I'm hoping it can get a block on adult swim alongside jerk city.

gravity falls related thing: I think this is kind of neat and no new episodes for a while so..., wouldn't sound that out of place on the sh2 soundtrack.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is this a thing? I Googled for it and couldn't dig up anything.

I thought that it would be obviously too absurd and mentioning Jerk City in the same sentence would make it more so or maybe I should just go to bed

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Perhaps Mabel gives the llama top to someone else to wear all the time.
Like one of her friends. Or Waddles.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think it's pretty obvious that the although they make Stan's motives looks questionable, he's really wanted all the books because his twin brother was lost on the other side of that portal somehow and Stan's going to try to find him.

I do want the soundtrack somehow. Just for the theme song and remixes of the theme song.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I want to like the fourth one but I'm bothered by how you other people in the same frame as him - including dipper who's facing him head on - would be able to see other sides of him.

There's five shorts on that channel and the thing in the fifth one is even weirder. I'm liking these more than the show, they feel more like the first five episodes I keep whining were the best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I kind of like Dipper's nasal russian voice better than his american voice.
Sounds more boyish and fits him being kind of a dork who's trying too hard to be cool all the time.

• Locked thread