Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This show is really, really fantastic. Like, I'm blown away by how good it is. Easily the best new cartoon of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I actually don't like Phineas and Ferb that much, mostly due to how repetitive and annoying the jokes get, and how everyone acts exactly the same as their limited character is defined as from episode to episode, and therefore I feel like the optimism and positivity is faked; it's a byproduct of nobody ever growing or changing as characters. There's no arcing or development and nobody learns anything.

In comparison I feel like here, everyone's a real character. Dipper and Mabel might be jerks to each other from time, or to Stan, but they learn and change as the show progresses and even when they're at their worst to each other (which is quite frankly, not bad at all, really), they obviously still love and support each other. Plus the jokes aren't all meta or an ouroboros of references to itself like P and F has become, and the animation is a lot better.

So basically, yes, it is a very positive show. It is obviously inspired by Twin Peaks so you do get that sense of "something is very, very wrong with this town" sort of uneasiness that I at least felt watching TP.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I refuse to believe this show is aimed at children. What the hell sort of 7-12 year old would even know who Coolio is, much less why it's funny that it's so unbelievable that a wax figure was made of him?

Seriously this show would not be out of place in the FOX Sunday lineup (but behind years 2-9 of The Simpsons). "Wax John Wilkes Booth, was that you?!" was some golden age of The Simpsons level of intelligent humor.

Holy goddamn this show is amazing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vaerai Archon posted:

However the one thing that saddens me is the fact there is only so many legends and cryptoids to cover that we'll get less than the 54 episode maximum(unless it nolonger exists but I think it does).

Have you seen Supernatural?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ignimbrite posted:

Episode 4 owned pretty hard. Gideon gives me the willies something fierce.

Wait, how did you see the fourth episode already?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have Xfinity and I can't find it anywhere.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Any indication of how you guys saw episode 4 would be greatly appreciated, since I can't seem to find it anywhere.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

On a slightly serious note, this show is adorable and way great, but I just have this horrible feeling that a really BAD fandom is going to develop.

I can verify that that will indeed happen.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Winklebottom posted:

That title better be Homework's wack and so are rules! Tuckin' in your shirt's for fools!

That's disgusting. How could you post that. :nws: that poo poo, man.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ProfessorProf posted:

The best thing about episode 5 was Stan watching and getting insanely invested in The Duchess Agrees over the course of the episode.

Stay tuned for the Friday Night Movie, The Duchess Approves; starring Sturly Stembleburgiss as "The Duchess", and Grampton St. Rumpterfrabble as irascible cock swain "Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire".

I seriously had to pause and rewind that scene like five times because I couldn't breathe from all the laughing.

Also, I hope someone buys an av gif of the two cast screens switching repeatedly with the above text as the av text, because that'd be a great av.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hockles posted:

I hate avoiding this thread for a week. Can't we make a thread that prevents spoilers because of how ahead people can be?

This is a children's cartoon show, dude, not Game of Thrones.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, how the hell can you possibly top

Yes. This is the best gif ever.

Besides any possible The Duchess Approves gif I guess.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

I just found out we have a thread for this awesome show. Good times.

So what's the goonsensus on Soos? Best character, right?

But...Mabel exists...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Farbtoner posted:

Paul Robertson making an animation where he can't just cop out by throwing blood and vaginas everywhere and calling it a day? :monocle:

I was gonna say, Paul Robertson is great but I don't think I've ever seen him draw a fully-clothed female before. He's a really...odd choice for an animator, especially considering Disney's image.

Do they not have Google at Disney HQ or something?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Should I know who that dude is?

Have you played the Scott Pilgrim video game? He animated that.

Also, :nws: :nws: :nms: his tumblr :nws: :nws: :nms:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Farbtoner posted:

It's not so much that he does NSFW stuff as it is that he's dug himself into such a tiny niche that I don't even think he can function outside of it. Has he ever made a cartoon that wasn't in pixel graphics, full of anachronistic video game references, and had cute things that were bloody/rapey because it's just so goddam edgy?

He and FreddieW seem to be the faces of this new creative underclass of people that are talented and technically proficient but are too happy in their nerdy in-joke bubble to ever break out of their comfort zone and make something that's not about videogames.

It's funny you bring up FreddieW, because he was actually able to let the webseries he co-created be more than "VIDEOGAMES VIDEOGAMES LOL" that the first couple of episodes of it implied it was going to be. The show is legit good now, and honestly the strongest episodes of the series had no, or very little, videogame influence in the sense of it being some pandering 2-minute highlight reel killstreak gunplay stuff that FreddieW built his empire on.

All this is to basically say that people can change out of their niches (although it's hard) and that VGHS is a pretty good series that shows what the FreddieW brand "can" be.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pick posted:

I'd flip the image horizontally so it looks like she's talking to your post!

In that vein...

Teix posted:

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Mystery Spot is horribly lame, terribly overpriced, and above all tiny. Also, it has terrible parking- like atrociously terrible parking situation. As a native Santa Cruzian give it a skip, there's about a million better things to do in SC.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I was really hoping for Paper Jam Dipper to go "Kill me", because it's almost a cliche for the disfigured clone/copy/creation to say that in the :smith: -est way possible and it always makes me laugh.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

By the way, Occupation, next week's episode was co-written by David Slack, who wrote a few episodes of Person of Interest including "No Good Deed."

Aw man that ep of PoI was loving GREAT. Sweet, now I'm super hyped for next week's ep.

I was gonna say it didn't tonally fit but now that I think about it PoI and Gravity Falls are at the very, very macro level actually kinda similar shows in the sense of being genre procedurals with a strong sense of linearity that don't dominate the show and both being much, much better than either of them have any right being.

(Watch Person of Interest.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really didn't like next week's episode as much as I should've, considering its pedigree. That's...disappointing. :smith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pakled posted:

The Gravity Falls/Deadly Premonition connection just keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Deadly Premonition? Really? :ughh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah next week's episode is loving transcendent. Totally washes the bad taste of this week's ep out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Eldoop posted:

What didn't you like about Irrational Treasure? I thought it was great.

I didn't think it was very funny. At all.

As opposed to Time Traveller's Pig, which is just a goddamn laugh riot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Japanese people watching the ONWARDS, AOSHIMA! scene: "I don't get the humor here, we see this all the time :confused: :confused: :confused: "

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That Wendy is far too sexy skinny instead of tall lazy thin girl skinny.

Just sayin'.

Good job with the creepy post, brah!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Forget Gravity Falls. No, Tom Sawyer Island must be rebranded as Butt Island.

Tom Sawyer Island's already been rebranded. Iirc, it's now named after one of the islands in Pirates of the Caribbean.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Macaluso posted:

It's just a section of Tom Sawyer's island, and I think Disneyland plays up the PotC angle more than Disney World's.

Yeah I live in Cali and I'm fairly sure they actually changed the name over here. Not sure. Been a while since I've been to Anaheim.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: never mind thread moved on

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 12, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

How do you not know who Batboy is :psyduck:

Was I the only one who read the Weekly World News?

Was I the only one who saw Batboy: The Musical :smith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpacePig posted:

This is so convoluted. Also, why is there breaks between episodes? Has it been this way all season, or just since Double Dipper?

Disney Channel doesn't give a gently caress about logical scheduling, basically.

(For real: They're basic cable and are in basically everyone's cable package, plus their scheduling is based around re-running loving everything at least several times a week that they don't care about putting in crazy breaks between their shows' air dates. Why would they? They make money hand over fist either way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mazerunner posted:

According to the brother, Gravity Falls is not supposed to be funny because it's a serious paranormal show about ghosts and stuff.

He's surprisingly mature for his age.

• Locked thread