Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

I've been reading Rookies thanks to this thread (it's great) and if you still haven't read it, maybe this can assist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Suben posted:

Pretty much every chapter, especially the ones introducing each Rider, has some kind of awesome moment that should be enough to convince people.

Kamen Rider Spirits is basically the phrase "Hell yeah!" in comic form.

Wow really cool how the translation 'editor' sucked the tension right out of that page with that retarded note.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Wow really cool how the translation 'editor' sucked the tension right out of that page with that retarded note.
Putting forth actual effort because you're translating something you love and want more people to enjoy? Pssshaw.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah that's kind of a problem is poo poo like that and the translation in general for like half of it just being really awkward and such. It's kind of like Onani Master Kurosawa or whatever in that respect in that it's strong enough to overcome that to still be really enjoyable.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

Putting forth actual effort because you're translating something you love and want more people to enjoy? Pssshaw.

What are you talking about? If they would have left that note out, or made one in at the back of the chapter, there would be no problem, but they stuck it smack dab in the middle of a super dramatic page.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

What are you talking about? If they would have left that note out, or made one in at the back of the chapter, there would be no problem, but they stuck it smack dab in the middle of a super dramatic page.
Thinking about where to put things like that is effort.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh okay. I thought you were like... being sarcastic but in a way that said *I* was an idiot.

My bad.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Zorak posted:

Fourteen

Decided to check this one out. I soon discovered that it's not really about horror, but rather

preaching and pointing. No, seriously, everyone just keeps talking and pointing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The God of High School

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
You could use drat near any page from Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing there. It appears the cosmos itself conspired to hit that dude in a knockoff Bruce Lee outfit in the junk.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Blhue posted:

I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing there. It appears the cosmos itself conspired to hit that dude in a knockoff Bruce Lee outfit in the junk.

That's exactly what happened.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought it looked like semen entering his body.

Nondevor posted:

The God of High School
See, here's my problem with the action in GoH. The illustrator seems to have no idea how to illustrate motion across panels. There's no sense of movement in any of the action scenes - it looks like a series of pictures mid-fight scene without enough attention paid to how we parse the motion inbetween panels in our heads. That one's a perfect example - I have no idea how to parse that. What the hell is going on? If he wanted to show motion that was so fast it can't be comprehended, there are way more economical/effective ways to demonstrate that (like the way the Breaker scene a few pages ago did it). As is it looks like a game and watch game with all the panels filled in.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

No Wave posted:

See, here's my problem with the action in GoH. The illustrator seems to have no idea how to illustrate motion across panels. There's no sense of movement in any of the action scenes - it looks like a series of pictures mid-fight scene without enough attention paid to how we parse the motion inbetween panels in our heads. That one's a perfect example - I have no idea how to parse that. What the hell is going on? If he wanted to show motion that was so fast it can't be comprehended, there are way more economical/effective ways to demonstrate that (like the way the Breaker scene a few pages ago did it). As is it looks like a game and watch game with all the panels filled in.

Yeah, there were a bunch of better sequences I wanted to use; they took up way more than one page though. :shobon: The fighting's stylish, but unfortunately it's sometimes hard to understand when you don't see it all at once.

At least the colors are nice.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Blhue posted:

His name is BRUE-BALLS LEE thank you. Also his junk is massive.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Battle Angel Alita a.k.a. Gunnm

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Crono Eyes

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So let me get this right, Koji Kabuto is driving the motorcycle from Akira and is being chased by the spider transformer lady?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

That looks nothing like either Koji or the motorcycle from Akria.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Guyver posted:

That looks nothing like either Koji or the motorcycle from Akria.

It's how I imagine Koji as a kid and I haven't seen Akira in literally ten years v :( v

KoB
May 1, 2009
It looks like Kouji's motorcycle though.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon)

Man, I'm never looking at farms the same way again.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Krysmphoenix posted:

Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon)

Man, I'm never looking at farms the same way again.

This series is living proof that a good enough storyteller can make anything awesome. It's not even about farming; it's about a school where they learn about farming. But it's still one of the best mangas I've read in recent years.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Dorohedoro

Page 9 of the very first book, and it only gets better from there. Apparently it is licensed for an English release, too.

Realism posted:

Green Blood

Honestly, all of this man's stuff is amazing.

Hideout, a short but fantastic thriller.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

These pages convinced me to read Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School, and having caught up to the most recent translated chapter, I don't know what to say. I guess I should thank you for showing me this amazing manhwa.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Bimbougami Ga!

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Embryo

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Blade of the Immortal

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Wow I just remembered I had read some of this manga a few years back. Is it completed now?

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

Uzumaki

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Love Allergen

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Everybody should read Uzumaki. EVERYBODY.

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

Gantz

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Where can I find this? All my searches ended up pointing at World Embryo, which is not what this is.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

mikeycp posted:

Everybody should read Uzumaki. EVERYBODY.

I just went on a three hour horror ride.

Thanks? I think?

First time my pregnant cousin came after me with a mosquito tongue I'd be getting the gently caress out

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

ArchDemon posted:

I just went on a three hour horror ride.

Thanks? I think?

First time my pregnant cousin came after me with a mosquito tongue I'd be getting the gently caress out

You should check out this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3357637

It's a bunch of his short stories, some of which are pretty good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Agent Baal posted:

You should check out this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3357637

It's a bunch of his short stories, some of which are pretty good.

Do this. None of them, except The Enigma of Amigara Fault (which is my favorite of his stories), are quite as great as Uzumaki, but they're still mostly wonderful.

Also read:

Junji Ito's Cat diary: Yon and Mu

It is excellent.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

You know, I tried looking for the perfect image to represent Eyeshield 21, but...poo poo man, there's too many cool pages to choose from. And the best moments require context beyond just one image.

So I thought about it, and I think, thematically, this sums it up best.

The best completed manga story. Pluto in close second.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

FAT BATMAN posted:

You know, I tried looking for the perfect image to represent Eyeshield 21, but...poo poo man, there's too many cool pages to choose from. And the best moments require context beyond just one image.

So I thought about it, and I think, thematically, this sums it up best.

The best completed manga story. Pluto in close second.

Sorry, Eyeshield will always only be the 2nd best sports manga, since Slam Dunk exists :colbert:

• Locked thread