Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

FAT BATMAN posted:

Eyeshield 21

I love Eyeshield 21. It's one of the best sports manga I've ever read; the art is nice, the characters are all likable, and some of the matches get really intense.

The ending felt rushed, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KoB posted:

Sorry, Eyeshield will always only be the 2nd best sports manga, since Slam Dunk exists :colbert:

Eyeshield is about characters who play football, Slam Dunk is about basketball. Slam Dunk is dreadfully dull if you don't care about the sport.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I tried to find a page that summed up the oldschool shounen comic retelling of Fengshen Bang; Houshin Engi. But I couldn't find one that had its action, comedy, drama, awesome characters and just general pseudo-historical badassery all on the same page. :(

Just go read it.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 21, 2012

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eyeshield is about characters who play football, Slam Dunk is about basketball. Slam Dunk is dreadfully dull if you don't care about the sport.

Yeah, what *is* it like not having a soul?

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

mikeycp posted:

Do this. None of them, except The Enigma of Amigara Fault (which is my favorite of his stories), are quite as great as Uzumaki, but they're still mostly wonderful.

Also read:

Junji Ito's Cat diary: Yon and Mu

It is excellent.

My favorite was Splatter Film, the artwork of them being squashed flat is just hilarious.

And yes the cat diary owns, I can't believe his wife let him draw her with zombie eyes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

FAT BATMAN posted:

The best completed manga story. Pluto in close second.
Onani master kurosawa, National Quiz, Monster

KoB
May 1, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I dont like basketball much at all and I loved it.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Sora no Kanata

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since someone did Uzumaki already, I should probably add this:

Gyo

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
Landshark has won over so many people.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Annarasumanara

There were so many panels that I liked for the interesting art direction, but I feel this shows more of the general theme of it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Since someone did Uzumaki already, I should probably add this:

Gyo

Speaking of fish...

Crimsons: Scarlet Navigators of the Sea. Been tempted to make a thread about it because holy poo poo i loved that manga from chapter one. It makes Marine Biology so awesome. :swoon:

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 23, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Oh lord, first the vampires and now they gave them giant robots.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
If you want a picture of the future, imagine slow paced lives and serene landscapes, forever.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

wid posted:

Where can I find this? All my searches ended up pointing at World Embryo, which is not what this is.

Seconding this. Tineye and reverse GIS aren't turning up anything either.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

BigLeafyTree posted:

Seconding this. Tineye and reverse GIS aren't turning up anything either.

エンブリヲ/Enburio/EMBRYO by Ogawa Koushin is probably the series going off of a cursory search. Doesn't look like it was ever translated.

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

Zandracon posted:

エンブリヲ/Enburio/EMBRYO by Ogawa Koushin is probably the series going off of a cursory search. Doesn't look like it was ever translated.

Here's the only things I could find.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=10454

or

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=20380

Agent Baal fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 23, 2012

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

mikeycp posted:

Do this. None of them, except The Enigma of Amigara Fault (which is my favorite of his stories), are quite as great as Uzumaki, but they're still mostly wonderful.

Also read:

Junji Ito's Cat diary: Yon and Mu

It is excellent.

God drat I forgot how hilarious this manga is. Everybody should read this, even if they're not into horror manga at all, it's hysterical.

edit: you got it J!!

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 24, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Junji Ito's house is surrounded by no less than five priests and two tanks at all times.

It's not that they don't want anyone to come in, it's that they're afraid of what might get out.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Also, one old St. Bernard with a small barrel of cider around his neck.

Gotta keep those cats under control, you see!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The best thing about Junji Ito's Cat Diary is that it's not immediately obvious whether it's a horror story or a zany pets comedy, and it doesn't become more clear as you read it. The way he draws everything leaves you convinced that, even if the last ten chapters had nothing overtly monstrous, the next page will for sure.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Meme Emulator posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
If you want a picture of the future, imagine slow paced lives and serene landscapes, forever.

I've loved this manga since I first read it a couple of years ago, and it's the first thing I recommend to people if they ask me what to read.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Breaky posted:

Silver Spoon

All sorts of late here, but is this the FMA author's new manga? Because it sure looks like it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kidcoelacanth posted:

All sorts of late here, but is this the FMA author's new manga? Because it sure looks like it.

Yep.

Still mad the thread wasn't called Farmmilker Agriculturalist

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yes it is. drat good too, but not really anything like FMA. This shouldn't discourage you from reading it at all however.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

It is. It's about a city boy in an agricultural school. I hear it's pretty fascinating.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's really great. I'd say it and TWGOK are my two favorite running series at the moment (maybe excluding long established series like One Piece).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Crossbone Gundam

New favorite Gundam series, and I haven't even read Skull Heart yet!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Here's another Beelzebub one:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
6 pages and no Sun-Ken Rock? I'm dissapointed in you ADTRW.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

kidcoelacanth posted:

Maybe this will help.

The SA thread is here.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Breaky posted:

Yes it is. drat good too, but not really anything like FMA. This shouldn't discourage you from reading it at all however.

I'm glad I checked this thread then because I'm catching up now and it's very good :3: Arakawa's humor stylings shine through in this.

Bremen posted:

Maybe this will help.

This was the best part.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Bremen posted:

Maybe this will help.

The SA thread is here.

I have been on the fence about starting this manga and this is the image that sold me on it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Neo Helbeast posted:

6 pages and no Sun-Ken Rock? I'm dissapointed in you ADTRW.

That's because it got wolfguy levels of rapey like seven issues in.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh wolfguy :(

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

SirDan3k posted:

That's because it got wolfguy levels of rapey like seven issues in.

It never reached Wolf Guy levels, and they got over that pretty quick.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, so far it isn't super rapey, at least they don't show it happening like in most series, it just shows aftermath/tools which is still hosed up but that gives off vibes that it's just a story telling element, not some weird fantasy the author has.

And curse you neo hellbeast, tomorrow morning I will probably be drinking coffee with a raw egg in it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Suleman posted:

It is. It's about a city boy in an agricultural school. I hear it's pretty fascinating.

It's the only manga my wife reads compulsively anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivers
Jan 19, 2007

Takamagahara

• Locked thread