Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm glad I read this thread because I wouldn't have stumbled upon your podcast any other way. I've gotten about halfway through and I'm really digging it. I've done something I rarely do by recommending it to some people.

For you podcast I'd like to recommend Hausu (1977) or Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009). They're both enjoyable to watch and I think they'd make great, fun drinking games. I'd probably recommend Hausu more than Bad Lieutenant since you're doing a Nic Cage movie in the near future with Vampire's Kiss. Also it'd give you a chance to experiment with shochu or sake, which are two forms of alcohol I'd love to see in more cocktails.

Some ideas for them would be

Hausu
-Drink every time a "haunting melody" plays
-Drink every time a cat is on screen
-Drink every time something happens in slow motion
-Drink every time Kung Fu uses kung fu
-Drink every time a bad special or practical effect shows up
-Drink for every matte painting
Finisher: "Bananas? Bananas?! Bananas!"

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
-Drink every time someone uses drugs
-Drink every time someone is threatened
-Drink every time someone lies
-Drink every time things get worse for Cage's character
Finisher: "His soul is still dancing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Where would we submit our ideas for the podcast drinking game rules? Through the suggest a movie function on the alcohollywood website?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Does vodka just make for the best mixer, or does the mixologist just really like vodka? It seems to be in the vast majority of your drinks.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I can't believe I messed up the spelling of cinematography but got mise en scene correct.

I listened to your latest episode after finally watching Vampire's Kiss, which is something I should have done a long time ago. You said that Cage was overacting but in reality he was mega-acting, which is Nic Cage's own school of acting. The Nic Cage thread can cure you of all your Cage misconceptions and reveal in you a love for the actor you never quite realized you had. You also might find the answer about if Vampire's Kiss was meant to be funny or if that was pure Cage.

I really enjoyed you guys playing the entire alphabet clip when you got to the finish your drink line. I think doing similar with future finish your drink lines is something that would be nice to have in future episodes. I know it would have been pretty useful for the X-Files movie so listeners could know just how long of a pause you were talking about.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Are you still willing to post your schedule of movies or is that a secret now?

e: I'm interested in seeing what's coming up so that I can watch some of them before the episode goes up.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 4, 2012

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think tonight's recording is going to be one of those episodes.

e: Whoops, didn't see the date. Guess it was last night's.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Luckily I know! It comes in two parts.

The first is the entire motivation behind the film. The studio that made it was hemorrhaging money after making a few bombs. They had a meeting and decided that the reason all these movies failed at the box office was because they "made too much sense." So they decided the solution was to make a movie which made as little sense as possible. So from the beginning the film's aim was to confuse and entertain. Secondly was the director would often ask his kid about his fears and nightmares and then incorporate them into the movie. For instance, the kid was initially afraid of learning to play the piano because he was afraid it would bite his fingers off. He even had nightmares about a piano eating him. These both made it into the movie.

Also I know you were concerned about the nudity, but I know for certain that one of the girls was 18. If I remember right, the casting call was for girls who looked like they could still be in high school and not ones who were actually still in high school. I can't remember where I read that but I'm fairly sure it's true.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Before you watch Fistful of Dollars one of you needs to watch Yojimbo, because the amount of influence it had on Fistful was pretty significant and might be worth commenting on.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Oh you poor souls. I had an autistic friend whose other friends played a trick on him where they all decided to tell him Sucker Punch was a legitimately good movie. They even told him it'd help him understand women better. He was floored to hear from me that probably wasn't the case, so we decided to watch it together to make sure. I had a rather large (for me) amount of alcohol nearby, and that helped make the movie almost tolerable. My friend ended up not having any strong feelings about the movie, and was more confused as to why everyone had tried to convince him it'd be his new favorite movie. I can only imagine how much alcohol the four of you went through.

Ironicus, out of interest - just how bad is the loser's shot?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah, you really can't lose with Hausu.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You guys did a really good job at summing up my thoughts on Kevin Smith. I also had a Smith phase in high school, because I was convinced by an older film buff that he was a genius. Said film buff also thought Lucas adding some sort of CG or digital manipulation to every scene of Episode II was brilliant, so I no longer trust his opinions. But I did immerse myself into the Askiewaverse at the time and learned all the stupid in-jokes.

During that time period I read an interview with Joey Lauren Adams (Gwen) about filming Mallrats. One of the few things I remember about that interview was she mentioned Smith's directing style - if he thought the actor wasn't delivering a line correctly, he'd just say it to them the way he wanted it to be heard. This meant there were numerous times when he'd speak the line the way he wanted it to be spoken, only for them to repeat it incorrectly because Smith himself isn't a very good actor. There was one line in particular (the "Because you had cable!" line) that she said took something like 17 takes because of this. Eventually he said "Just say it like a "No duh!" sort of thing!" and it finally worked.

I wonder if he ever broke out of that habit.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 25, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Definitely do a more light hearted documentary if you do a documentary. Something like Heckler or Darkon.

e: Are there any light hearted documentaries about alcoholism?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 17, 2014

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Man, that was a pretty solid episode.

Ichi the Killer was super popular among the movie nerds at my high school. We all had our different reasons for liking it, but it was universally loved. I remember one guy was just astonished by Miike's output - at that time he was averaging something close to ten films released per year according to IMDB. Something crazy like that.

I will say we definitely viewed it as a pitch black comedy, and that was the main appeal for myself and my roommate. The violence was kind of cool but I don't think it really compares to something like Robocop in how well that is pulled off. I was surprised to hear your guest say it was a boring movie though, because I didn't really get that at first. Listening to you guys talk about it though did make me reconsider my old memories of the movie. I talked about it with my roommate, and he told me he tried to rewatch it a year or two ago and didn't get far in before shutting off. One thing he attributed it to was probably a change in his sense of humor.

I'm definitely interested in rewatching it now though. It also has me interested in rewatching another staple of my high school film life, which is the Japanese movie Suicide Club. I'm wondering if that will hold up any better than I'm fearing Ichi won't.

I am disappointed you guys watched Ichi with the Japanese audio though. The dub for Ichi is actually super amazing and gives it a ton of charm. There's not a lot of movies that can be said about. Also I think it would have immensely helped with your inability to pronounce some character names.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

General Ironicus posted:

Maybe do a handful of mini-episodes on shorts? Call it Quick Shots.

Drinking games for TV shows, or maybe they could cover a mini-series for episode 150. A shorter one, not a colossal one like Roots or Shogun.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

General Ironicus posted:

Dungeons & Dragons (this one is me predicting the future)

Why be on the Dungeons and Dragons episode when you could be on the episode about Dungeons & Dragons 3: The Book of Vile Darkness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I was all excited for Paprika because I love animation and not enough movie podcasts ever bother with it. Then I saw Detention on the list and holy poo poo I can't wait to hear Jared's reaction to that one.

• Locked thread