Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Spatule posted:

After the latest updates my Surface 2 is finally usable (the battery doesn't self discharge in a day anymore).
Does everything I need, is small and light... no complaints except the lack of cases.
This got linked a while back in the 8.1 thread, looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Granted, she'd never know whether she was running either/or because all she does is media and office, but still.

gently caress you Microsoft and your sneaky, bullshit way of marketing RT.

I don't know, this seems like one time when their marketing was actually spot on, and she got exactly what she needed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Until she happens to need a native windows app for whatever reason, then she's in for a bit of a surprise/letdown. I realize it's a sample size of one but when a grad student thinks RT is no different than Windows 8, I'd say MS is being pretty sneaky about their presentation of what RT is.

Unless you mean they succeeded in confusing customers, in which case I absolutely agree with you. Once again, anecdotal, but I've had to explain the differences between the OS's to college students several times. My friends's "techie" cousin tried to sell him on the idea of a surface rt very heavily as "it's basically perfect for students and my wife loves hers". Well, not so much for engineering students like him who need to run programs like AutoCAD.

He would obviously be better off with a laptop that runs real windows in the same price-range as a surface rt but there was no dissuading the "techie" cousin. I had to visually show my friend how rt devices cannot run many programs engineers rely on before he decided on a classy-lookin' Lenovo.

(Also, I'm surprised how many engineering students are absolutely incompetent with computers, I imagine this is not the case for most professional engineers in the field, but I don't know. I'm a rhetoric/writing studies guy).

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 1, 2014

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003
Well, it's an office machine with an ipad-like finish - she seems to like the build quality and uses office, so job well done in this specific instance?

Sure if she wants to run some x86 app that's not going to work out but there's actually a fairly large slice of people out there that just browse the net, use office and watch videos or listen to music. These are the sort of people that can pretty much do away with their old laptop in favour of an ipad for their basic needs, which the RT does fine with the added bonus of proper office on a keyboard.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I have an 8" baytrail tablet, but to be honest I'm not sure I've ever used it for any x86 type app. It's my browsing/email convenience machine. I have two sisters that both have Surface RT and they're also perfectly happy with it (they did the refurbs at $200). Simple pleasures I guess.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Fair enough. I don't argue that RT certainly does the trick for many users, I just disagree with the way MS is trying to blur the lines between the two. For what it's worth, my t100 is also primary a web/media device with office work, which an rt-based device would certainly handle.

Still, making the OS's visually identical doesn't sit well with me personally. Why even make RT in the first place?

Admittedly, I honestly don't know why they made RT in the first place so there might be a reason I'm not considering.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KingSlime posted:

I honestly don't know why they made RT in the first place so there might be a reason I'm not considering.

They bet against intel and lost basically.

It was a hedge that x86 wouldn't be able to be power and price competitive with ARM and they needed something for that space.

Then intel came along with Clovertrail and Baytrail and completely invalidated that concern. Then Microsoft themselves further eroded the reason for RT by slashing OEM licensing costs for full Windows 8.1 on lower priced devices.

RT is left without a market now and the current Surface 2 should be the last RT device ever made.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
What he said plus I think it feeds into the new mantra of windows on everything. Getting windows on ARM is probably related somehow to the unification of apps, devices, kernels, other smart things that are beyond me. See their "Internet of Things" initiative, etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bull3964 posted:

They bet against intel and lost basically.

It was a hedge that x86 wouldn't be able to be power and price competitive with ARM and they needed something for that space.

Then intel came along with Clovertrail and Baytrail and completely invalidated that concern. Then Microsoft themselves further eroded the reason for RT by slashing OEM licensing costs for full Windows 8.1 on lower priced devices.

RT is left without a market now and the current Surface 2 should be the last RT device ever made.

Even if not successful I think Windows on ARM was necessary simply for appearances; no one would have taken Windows on tablets seriously if it was tied to an as of yet unrealized promise of a downscaled x86. It is really much like the Windows NT ports to Alpha, POWER and Mips, they didn't achieve much, but it was done at a time where legitimacy in the server room revolved around old RISC vendors to a great extent.

From another perspective they needed to do most of the work either way for the sake of Windows Phone 8.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Even if not successful I think Windows on ARM was necessary simply for appearances; no one would have taken Windows on tablets seriously if it was tied to an as of yet unrealized promise of a downscaled x86. It is really much like the Windows NT ports to Alpha, POWER and Mips, they didn't achieve much, but it was done at a time where legitimacy in the server room revolved around old RISC vendors to a great extent.

From another perspective they needed to do most of the work either way for the sake of Windows Phone 8.

The problem is, it didn't lend legitimacy to the platform. RT has been a joke since it was announced. It was questionable decision layered upon questionable decision.

They backported an entire desktop environment that would never be any use for Windows Phone (and was questionable use to RT users.) They also created confusion in their own marketspace by giving the world an OS that looks and feels like real Windows, but was a facade.

Intel's roadmaps were not secret. I can understand how people could potentially be skeptical of what x86 could do in that form factor, but one does not generally bet against Intel when they say they can do something. That's not to say they shouldn't have gone through the development process just in case Intel was wrong this one time, but it does mean that it should have never been released to the public once it was clear that Intel could compete in the space. It should have been relegated to the design dust bin.

The release of the Surface RT seemed like Microsoft's engineers being so proud of themselves from a hardware design standpoint that they couldn't resist putting it on the market even if the product didn't make sense and did more harm to their entry into this space than good. I would also be willing to bet that some Nvidia contracts factored into things as well.

Microsoft should have only released the Surface Pro for the first generation and followed it up with a Surface 2 Baytrail instead of Tegra 4.

As it stands today, RT based tablets hold no advantages.

1) They are not any cheaper
2) They are not any faster running modern UI apps
3) They do not have significantly better battery life
4) They are not any slimmer or lighter

Microsoft just needs to put a stake in it and stop screwing up their own tablet market with confusion.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 1, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno, it seems like a lot of whitewashing of history. If you go back to see the old keynotes with Sinofsky, etc. they were making a huge push for ARM. People were genuinely excited about Windows on ARM, like when they showed a normal version of office running and printing. There were dreams of running windows apps on hardware as nice as the iPad. However what we finally got was pretty far from Windows on ARM, it was a disjointed mess of Metro and Office on lukewarm tablet hardware. Win RT was a pretty big screwup, and the timing was terrible since folks were starting to buy tablets and the Win RT / Surface options couldn't compete at all.

edit: Was replying to two posts above.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Intel's roadmaps were not secret. I can understand how people could potentially be skeptical of what x86 could do in that form factor, but one does not generally bet against Intel when they say they can do something. That's not to say they shouldn't have gone through the development process just in case Intel was wrong this one time, but it does mean that it should have never been released to the public once it was clear that Intel could compete in the space. It should have been relegated to the design dust bin.

In retrospect its easy to say that Bay Trail and Clover Trail turned out great and there's no need for ARM whatsoever, but in practice (aside from the kludgy Windows XP for Tablets interface) MS had been dragged down by Intel chips poorly suited to the tablet form factor for its first few forays. I suppose when the time came to select a chip for their upcoming tablet they weren't willing to make the 100% Intel bet yet again, and had to sign some contracts with chip suppliers to bet on ARM.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, it didn't lend legitimacy to the platform. RT has been a joke since it was announced. It was questionable decision layered upon questionable decision.

RT not working out is entirely irrelevant to the purpose I am outlining, the entire thing was that Microsoft needed to, for various reasons, demonstrate that it was something that could technically be done. Get it into peoples minds that Windows on everything was something that was possible and not just talk, scare Intel a bit to ensure that they would work hard in the right direction, etc. You are still talking about the quality of the experience on consumer products, which is really a couple of steps beyond what Microsoft needed to have work out with the x86 end getting its poo poo together.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

RT not working out is entirely irrelevant to the purpose I am outlining, the entire thing was that Microsoft needed to, for various reasons, demonstrate that it was something that could technically be done.

Also note that Windows Phone 8.1 now runs on exactly the same "WinRT" core operating system as Windows 8 (including WindowsRT), and uses exactly the same graphics/UI libraries, the same networking libraries, the same everything.

I won't disagree with people's experiences about the usability of ARM-based windows tablets...

But as for the engineering aspects of running WinRT on ARM - it's pretty much the same low-level engineering (and app development) whether it's running on ARM-based WindowsRT tablets, or on ARM-based (Qualcomm Snapdragon-based) Windows Phones.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bull3964 posted:

Well, there's a fair chance that the Surface Mini will run on RT, and also Windows Phone 8.1 is RT.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

bull3964 posted:

I really hope so. If they were priced cheaper, sure, but a Surface 2 is 449, where a t100 is 399 WITH a keyboard and office. People also really don't understand RT. Most people want to compare it to an iPad or have an iPad that they enjoy, but the moment they find out RT doesn't run Quickbooks or iTunes they flip out. It makes no sense.

Working at a Microsoft Store and explaining the differences between RT... It's loving awful.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Where are people reading that Win Phone 8.1 is Win RT? Win Phone 8.1 supports new universal apps that can run on RT, phone 8.1, or win 8, but that doesn't mean the Win RT app store and existing apps will work. Apps will need to be built as a new universal app to support all the platforms.

I would be pretty surprised if the mini Surface is an RT device too. Even people inside MS have to realize how much the platform is flopping. There are already small-ish tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro that use bay trail, etc. to run full Windows so it would be dumb to release an RT device the same size.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Where are people reading that Win Phone 8.1 is Win RT? Win Phone 8.1 supports new universal apps that can run on RT, phone 8.1, or win 8, but that doesn't mean the Win RT app store and existing apps will work. Apps will need to be built as a new universal app to support all the platforms.

The problem here is that you're confusing Windows RT with WinRT. They're completely different things, but Windows RT (the OS) is named after WinRT, which is an "application architecture" shared by Windows 8, Windows RT, and now(?) Windows Phone 8.1.

Microsoft's confusing naming at work.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Where are people reading that Win Phone 8.1 is Win RT?

I'd say that's because there's been a lot of continuing rumbling about WP and RT merging. The 1520 seems capable enough as a phablet; something only slightly larger running some merged WP/RT OS is conceivable.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Microsoft's most boneheaded product is about to be killed off

quote:

Microsoft is about to take the ax to one of the stupidest products it ever created.

CEO Satya Nadella said Tuesday that Microsoft (MSFT, Tech30) will combine all of its various Windows iterations into one unified version next year. That, thankfully, will mean the end of Windows RT, MIcrosoft's woefully executed and dreadfully received operating system for tablets.

Windows RT was supposed to usher in the tablet era for Microsoft. But Windows RT has two fatal flaws: it's missing crucial apps, and it's poorly designed. Unsurprisingly, the stripped-down operating system failed to take off. (Actually, that's an understatement: Microsoft took a $900 million writedown last year because of awful Surface RT sales, the only mainstream tablet than ran Windows RT.)

The biggest failure of Windows RT was that it took away the single best part of Windows -- the fact that it can run just about every app ever created.

Instead, Windows RT can only run apps built for the Windows Store. You know those strange-looking tile apps in Windows 8? Yup, those are the ones.

To be fair to Microsoft, it has done a mostly adequate job building up its app store. There are 170,000 apps listed in the store -- about half of the number of iPad apps -- the most popular of which are YouTube, Facebook (FB, Tech30), Skype, Netflix (NFLX, Tech30) and Google (GOOGL, Tech30) Search.

Still, you can't run iTunes. There's no Chrome or Firefox browser. You likely can't run your company's custom-built software. Pretty much anything that requires a desktop is a no-go.

OK, so that sounds kind of like an iPad or a Chromebook laptop, right? Sure it does -- so why not just buy an iPad for the same price? Or save $150 and buy a Chromebook? That's what most consumers were thinking anyway.

But unlike Apple (AAPL, Tech30) or Google, Microsoft didn't take away the desktop in Windows RT. No, no, no. Curiously, Microsoft kept the desktop around so you can run a separate, more robust version of Internet Explorer. You can also manage files, and tap into your tablet's advanced settings on the desktop. Oh, and if you want to run Microsoft Office, you have to switch into desktop mode for that too.

To recap: If you want to visit a website that the tablet version of the browser doesn't support, change a setting that you can't tweak in the normal settings app. Or, if you want to create a document, you have to exit the land of tiles and enter desktop world.

So, yeah, it's fair to say there are some design issues with Windows RT.

The concept of Windows RT was actually right: put Windows on any device, no matter what kind of processor or screen size it has -- even if the device is missing a keyboard and mouse. But Microsoft never made a compelling case for why you should buy a Windows RT tablet over a rival tablet except for the fact that it runs Office. And that argument just went out the window when Microsoft brought Office to the iPad earlier this year.

That's why Windows RT turned into one of the biggest flops in Microsoft's history. And that's saying a lot, considering Microsoft conjured up such duds as Windows Vista, Microsoft Bob and Clippy.

So, there you have it. Windows RT goes out with a wet fart.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Werthog 95 posted:

Microsoft's most boneheaded product is about to be killed off

quote:

That's why Windows RT turned into one of the biggest flops in Microsoft's history. And that's saying a lot, considering Microsoft conjured up such duds as Windows Vista, Microsoft Bob and Clippy

Clippy was not a dud! :mad:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nothing I have read suggests that this is the end of RT in anything but branding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, if the brand is gone and no one is making hardware, it's really the same thing.

Could, someone, in theory make an ARM windows tablet in the future? Yes. Will someone? Likely not.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thankfully I sold my Surface 2 last week!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Microsoft is going to have to debloat the hell out of windows for this to work.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A) Clippy was awesome :colbert:

B) that's not what Nadella actually meant: http://m.winsupersite.com/windows/microsoft-muddies-one-windows-waters

quote:

Mr. Nadella said two things about Windows convergence yesterday. The first seems to imply that there will in fact only be a certain version of Windows:

"In the year ahead, we are investing in ways that will ensure our device OS and first party hardware aligned to our core," he said. "We will streamline the next version of Windows from three operating systems into one single converged operating system for screens of all sizes."

Sounds clear enough. Except that it isn't.

In a Q&A session at the end of the call, an understandably confused reported asked Microsoft about this "One Windows" thing. And then we got the real answer.

"My statement was more to do with just even the engineering approach," Mr. Nadella said. "The reality is that we actually did not have one Windows; we had multiple Windows operating systems inside of Microsoft. We had one for phone, one for tablets and PCs, one for Xbox, one for even embedded. So we had many, many of these efforts. So now we have one team with the layered architecture that enables us to in fact one for developers bring that collective opportunity with one store, one commerce system, one discoverability mechanism. It also allows us to scale the UI across all screen sizes; it allows us to create this notion of universal Windows apps and being coherent there.

So that's what more I was referencing and our SKU strategy will remain by segment, we will have multiple SKUs for enterprises, we will have for OEM, we will have for end-users. And so we will – be disclosing and talking about our SKUs as we get further along, but my statement was more [only] to do with how we are bringing teams together to approach Windows as one ecosystem very differently than we ourselves have done in the past."

In other words, nothing to see here. Not really.

Microsoft's efforts to combine the various Windows backends is laudable, but I'm not even sure it's all that different from what came before, besides, in part from the fact that one "team"—really "one business unit" is working on all of it. Windows Core, which used to be in Server but was placed under Client thanks to Stephen Sinofsky. Client. Phone. Server. Embedded, of which there are/were both CE and traditional Windows variants. Windows for the Internet of Things. Xbox One. They're all under a new OS business unit led by Terry Myerson. It's part waving of hands. Part important change.
So let's not get too excited here. "One Windows" is more marketing than anything. And it's an ongoing effort. When Windows 9 ships next year, you can expect at least three different product versions, or SKUs. And that's just Client.

Here's the real reason Mr. Nadella (mis)spoke about "One Windows." It's about creating a positive impression that Microsoft is taking a previously scattered set of products and making the whole thing more efficient. This is understandable. But the company needs to be clearer when it speaks. We're not getting one Windows. And thank goodness. That wouldn't make sense at all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I for one am happy to see RT being taken out to the back and put down with a shotgun.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
RT isn't going anywhere. You're going to see is an RT model without a desktop. Instead, you'll see a modern file explorer app, and "Modern Office". It'll still be ARM.

And people will still praise Chrome OS and despise Windows RT

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rent posted:

RT isn't going anywhere. You're going to see is an RT model without a desktop. Instead, you'll see a modern file explorer app, and "Modern Office". It'll still be ARM.

I think 'see' is a strong word.

About the only entity I see building such a beast is Microsoft themselves. OEMs right now are having enough trouble chasing down sales of 8" full pc tablets, the market for an ARM version is going to be even more limited. I don't think anyone will feel it's a market worth pursuing. There's just no way they will be able to make those ARM devices much cheaper than full x86 ones to make a difference and make it worthwhile.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Basically, the small 8 inch full Windows PCs are already going for $250-400, around the price of a Chromebook, and now Microsoft is making Windows free for OEMs on screen sizes below 9 inches, so you can buy a tablet PC hybrid thing, use the apps and web browser (RT, essentially), and get the desktop and desktop apps on top of that if you need or want them.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rent posted:

Chrome OS has its issues, but the hardware is cheap and the software is about as simple as you could possibly get. They've got valid uses. Windows RT launched with $500 hardware and sacrifices most of what makes Windows powerful while keeping most of what makes it complex. Once Bay Trail happened RT wasn't really a perfect fit for anyone. Chromebooks do simplicity better, Windows 8 does powerful better, and both of them managed to have hardware at lower prices than either of the Surfaces.

There's certainly an argument for Microsoft needing an ARM-oriented platform, but it's hard to argue at this point that RT was anything resembling the ideal solution.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 25, 2014

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Now that I'm not travelling extensively, something for which my Surface RT 2 was perfect, it makes a very good digital picture frame from which you can also check the weather and skype.
Good job microsoft, such a versatile machine !

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Rent posted:

Just quoting this "for posterity," as they say.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
$100 price cut on the Surface 2 RT: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2597526/microsoft-cuts-surface-2-prices-by-100.html#tk.rss_all

Does anyone actually care?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I think most people assumed it had been discontinued when they never mentioned it during the surface update.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
I found out this week that the interview rooms I'll be using to collect research data don't have a power outlet so I couldn't use my laptop (even with a new battery it can't keep a charge for 8 hours). I thought I would buy a tablet and I saw that the surface 2 had just dropped in price and had office pre-installed so I thought it was serendipity. I ordered one online <then> I read this thread to see if I made the right decision.

This morning I promptly cancelled my order (thankfully they hadn't shipped yet).

Thank you, thread, for helping me avoid making a terrible and costly mistake!

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
For what it's worth, depending on what you need they can be pretty great machines. My staff uses them for a web-based application and prefers them over the ipads and android tablets we tried (the kickstand makes a great wedge to put your hand in if you use them while standing up or walking). Absolutely not a Window 7/8 pro replacement, but they're nice tablets.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like mine a lot and since unfortunately breaking it I've been using my Kindle Fire HD which sucks compared to it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Does the Surface 2 use WIMBOOT so that it actually has some space left over?

EDIT: The Surface doesn't even support Silverlight? Hahahahahahahhahahaahahhaha what the gently caress http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...dd-ccfdb601cca1

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Does the Surface 2 use WIMBOOT so that it actually has some space left over?

EDIT: The Surface doesn't even support Silverlight? Hahahahahahahhahahaahahhaha what the gently caress http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...dd-ccfdb601cca1

Silverlight is abandoned.

• Locked thread