Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Thundercloud posted:

See I'm pretty sure I've got two of these coming but I'm tempted to get a third.

So the enforcers in the box won't be hard plastic, but resin?

And has there been a rebs warpath list put up yet?

Restic most likely, though I'm struggling to get a definite answer. If they did hard plastic then they would have to include a separate bag of restics which is far from ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Saw deadzone on pre-order on a site last night, one of the bits listed as in the box was a foam playing mat. Thought the foam mat was an added extra, it's the only reason I bumped my pledge up to the $150 level from the $100 level. Mistake on behalf of the online shop or have they upgraded the basic set?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

enri posted:

Saw deadzone on pre-order on a site last night, one of the bits listed as in the box was a foam playing mat. Thought the foam mat was an added extra, it's the only reason I bumped my pledge up to the $150 level from the $100 level. Mistake on behalf of the online shop or have they upgraded the basic set?

We backed them so hard they were able to upgrade the basic retail set, but the $100 pledge still only got the paper mat iirc.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 20, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I think that's a retailer mistake. Not had official confirmation from Mantic, but the other Pathfinder I've spoken to thinks it's a paper mat in the box.

TOURNAMENT TRIP REPORT
I always hate getting the Leeds-Manchester train since I always seem to end up on a ridiculously overcrowded one carting people to and from football matches. I figured that getting one at 8am on a Saturday might be a bit quieter and I might be able to get a seat. I was wrong, so that was fun.

Once I was at the venue I was a very happy chappy. There was also a bring and buy table sale on as well, and I managed to snag an X-Wing and Tie Fighter for the X-Wing game (very happy since they're out of stock everywhere), the forgeworld Ork biker boss and about 50 old White Dwarfs for £33. 26 people turned out for the Kings of War tournament, which was a lot, lot more than the regionals and around the same as the Clash of Kings back in February.

This was my list:
code:
KoM:
================================================
2 x Ogre Regiments - 380
2 x Ogre Troops - 230
Knights Regiment w/The Fog - 215
5 x Trebuchet - 300
2 x Army Standard Bearer on horse - 70
Army Standard Bearer on horse w/Healing Charm - 65

Ogre Allies:
================================================
Red Goblin Scout Regiment - 130
3 x Red Goblin Scout Troop - 210
Game 1 was versus Undead which relied heavily on hordes and artillery. My army on the left of the picture, his on the right.

I charged a lone werewolf on the left flank with a regiment of Ogres but my dice were appalling and I wasn't able to kill it, leaving the regiment wide open to a flank charge from a Revenant horde (the purple ones). The other Ogre regiment and the horde grinded against each other for the rest of the game until I finally broke them in turn 5. Unfortunately I wasn't able to support the regiment with one of the Ogre troops since they were busy hunting werewolves.

My dice for my artillery were terrible. I managed to hit twice in the first four turns out of all five artillery pieces, and when I did hit I was rolling lots of 1's and 2's for the blast and causing very little damage. My right flank cavalry struggled against his skeleton hordes while taking a lot of damage from his pinpoint accurate catapults. Eventually they broke through and despite taking 16 wounds, the regiment of Knights lived when he rolled a double 1 for the nerve test. In the last 2 turns my artillery suddenly started mopping up and took out a horde and 3 catapults. At the end of the game he had just a couple of characters left on the board while I had my artillery, knights and a couple of banner bearers.

When we totted up the victory points I was ahead by 320 points. And I needed to be ahead by 320 points or more for a VICTORY! This was also my longest game and at the end I had just 2 minutes left on the clock. It seemed like it was going to be a solid victory to my opponent half way through the game, until I managed to scrape it back into draw territory in the sixth turn. We then rolled for another turn and that's when I managed to break most of his units.

We broke for lunch and I was utterly gobsmacked that the catering managed to simultaneously undercook AND burn chicken curry. That takes skill. I didn't eat much of it.

Game 2 versus a Kingdoms of Men army with a lot of infantry blocks and 5 beautiful trebuchets:

He only had 2 troops of cavalry and his infantry were slower than mine so I could easily dictate when and where our lines clashed. As soon as I'd taken care of his cavalry, my cavalry was able to get behind his lines taking out trebuchets. My Ogre regiments ganged up on his regiments, but as soon as I started shutting down his trebuchets then his battle line collapsed. In the end I held 5 of the 6 objectives for a solid VICTORY!

At this point there was a bit of a commotion at another table. One player had run out of time which is an automatic loss. Normally you get 1 tournament point for a loss, but a timeout gets you ZERO points. He didn't know about that and just thought it was dice down as soon as you run out of time. He was winning his game by quite a large margin so was (understandably) not happy.

Game 3 was versus my mate, Dan, with his Angels army:

This is an extremely tough army, especially since my Ogres are relatively overcosted while flyers in general are a bit too cheap. Me and the guy at the next table were ribbing Dan, pointing out that his claims of running "fluffy" armies always seem to coincide with what's a bit unbalanced.

There wasn't much I could do in this game. His units were faster, tougher and just plain better than mine in almost every way. My artillery was letting me down big time, failing to do much damage at all and most of the fighting took place in a forest. Since he was using flyers, they were never disrupted while my guys were.

A definite loss for me.

Game 4 was against another Ogre army, and just like me one that was using the Kingdoms of Men list with lots of counts-as.

This game was very brutal, with lots of heavy hitting units facing each other down. Both of us had 5 artillery pieces and both were taking out significant chunks of each others battle line. My attack on the left flank with my cavalry stalled with a couple of cavalry units lost to artillery and my opponent making some lucky nerve rolls and wavering the others.

On the right hand side, our infantry faced off against each other and I was able to successfully bait him into charging me through the wood. With him disrupted and me not, I broke through on the right flank and started mopping up. My left flank finally started moving again towards the end of the game, leaving me with another solid VICTORY.

I was quite proud that I'd managed to get 3 wins and just 1 loss, especially considering that I'd not had any practice games with the army. With that I managed to get third place:

First place went to Dan from game 3 and second place went to a bloke that I didn't get to play.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

I think that's a retailer mistake. Not had official confirmation from Mantic, but the other Pathfinder I've spoken to thinks it's a paper mat in the box.

I can't find where I read it, but this is the promo image of the retail box

and that's one of the deluxe mats it's sitting on. I'm positive there was such a high demand for them during the kickstarter that they were able to fund a big enough production run to get enough for the retail boxes. I got extras and backed Strike Force anyway, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me, but I was sure that's what happened.

Daedleh posted:

I was quite proud that I'd managed to get 3 wins and just 1 loss, especially considering that I'd not had any practice games with the army. With that I managed to get third place

:golfclap:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 20, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

and that's one of the deluxe mats it's sitting on. I'm positive there was such a high demand for them during the kickstarter that they were able to fund a big enough production run to get enough for the retail boxes. I got extras and backed Strike Force anyway, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me, but I was sure that's what happened.

I went in initially at the $100 level, decided I wanted to add a matt at $20, but then I figured for the sake of an extra $30 I might as well bump it up to the $150 level and get some extras as well as the matt. If that matt was in the original $100 pledge level I might not have bothered bumping up my pledge, but I might still have, not sure :v:

Just curious anyway, I think it's bad form to bump up lower levels like that without making some kind of noise about it, what about the people who paid the $20+ for one matt or more thinking they weren't getting one in the $100 level package anyway?

That's all if it is a deluxe matt anyway, might be a moot point v:shobon:v

Daedleh posted:

I was quite proud that I'd managed to get 3 wins and just 1 loss, especially considering that I'd not had any practice games with the army. With that I managed to get third place:

Well done :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

enri posted:

Just curious anyway, I think it's bad form to bump up lower levels like that without making some kind of noise about it, what about the people who paid the $20+ for one matt or more thinking they weren't getting one in the $100 level package anyway?

They still didn't get one in the $100 pledge, all Mantic did was upgrade the final retail box

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

When does the second survey go out again? I just want to know how much time I have to save up for extra stuff and I can't remember when they said it was supposed to hit our inboxes.

e: The second survey for DZ.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Some point next year when the hard plastic tooling is almost finished. I'm thinking March or April, but not sure.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

We've not had definite confirmation yet, other than Q2 next year.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Perfect. Plenty of time to save up for stuntbots and maybe more asterians. Thanks.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Looks like I won the fifty shades of geek dreadball competition :v: bagged a copy of dreadball kick off, woo!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Update on Deadzone is out here.

It's very long so I won't copy paste. TL;DR:

- The hard plastic Enforcers should have been in the first shipment (I did get my wires crossed with what I was told) but the quality isn't good enough yet. Mantic are holding back on the hard plastics until the second wave and to make up for it in the meantime they're sending 5 of the current Warpath Restic Enforcers. The HP ones will still be coming (or additional restic ones if the quality still isn't good enough by wave 2) so the restic ones we're getting in wave 1 are free.

- The Marauder ripper suits lost some spare arms, but there has been an additional pyro (flamethrower) included to make up for it.

- The scenery works and is very much snap-fit. The connectors form very tight joins with the tiles so you've no need to worry about structural strength if you don't glue the tiles together. Demonstration video here.

- Delivery will start at the beginning of December. If you're coming to the Open Day on the 30th November (and if you backed Deadzone you have a free ticket which includes a grab bag of free minis) then you can arrange to pick up your order there.

Also this:

E: Replaced because hey I was a bit pissed off when I wrote it. What do you people think of this?

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 30, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

-Well, free's free. Can't really complain, unless they don't nail it by wave 2.

-Fair 'nuff. Flamethrowers are cool.

-:swoon: The terrain looks great and I'm going to buy SO MUCH of it.

-Nice.

-Cool model.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

See you guys at the open day I guess. On that note does anyone have any idea how we redeem the ticket? Is there a thing we receive or are we just on a big list somewhere?

Edit: oh hey the martian dreadball team is unlocked.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 31, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm a bit far away to go to Open Day. I want a free bag of minis, damnit :smith:

The Martian crossovers are working for me, but not sure I'll buy any. I suppose the Deadzone cards are cheap enough.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Trying to wangle getting out to go to the open day, it'd be so much easier to pick up deadzone bits there and have a nose around, only downside is is an 85 mile trip just there. But hey, free minis!

The update looks good, not fussed on the hard plastic enforcers so the freebie is a nice bonus.

Can't wait :)

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Directly from the horses mouth:
1. If you are a Kickstarter backer do you get free entry to the open day? yes - you do, we have a master list at the front door where [staff member] and his bodyguard will check them in as they turn up. They get a goodie bag as does everybody who enters on the day.
2. Do you get free entry to the Dreadball or Kings of War tournament? No, its for charity and not backed by us. However - if you are a KS backer please book and pay for the entry as normal (or you will not get a place) and then email us, we will send you a £5 gift voucher for your next purchase to offset the additional cost.
3. Can I come and get my DZ Kickstarter on the day? Yes - you can, we would prefer you let us know at least 72 hours in advance that you're coming along (via email) so we can get your order ready. However, if you just turn up and don't mind waiting we can pick it for you. On the day though, please bring at least 1 form of ID so we know that its the right person collecting.
4. There are only 5 places left on the Dreadball event so if you're planning on turning up, or know somebody who is - move quick!

And that's emailing them through the Kickstarter system if you want to pick up on the day.

E: In case anyone's on the fence about the tournaments, they've been arranged (on my recommendation! :D) to have hour long breaks in between each game so that there's time to go and see everything else going on. There are even some seminars timed specifically for those going to the tournaments so no need to worry about missing out on Ronnie giving you the next 12+ months worth of releases.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 31, 2013

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't take part in the tournament, what are the Open Days like?

Also any chance of being able to buy a copy of the Deadzone boardgame on the day for my daughter?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Thundercloud posted:

If you don't take part in the tournament, what are the Open Days like?

Seconding this question, I wouldn't be in a position to play in any tournaments but the promise of being able to pick up my deadzone goodies is too much to resist, if there's anything else worth nosing around then awesome but if not I might just wait for it to come in the post :)

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I've just seen a vendor website selling Deadzone:

http://ibuywargames.co.uk/epages/950002401.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002401/Products/0988

That can't be right, can it? "Ships within two days" Even if they kickstarted a whole bunch, they wouldn't have them as yet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

outlier posted:

That can't be right, can it? "Ships within two days" Even if they kickstarted a whole bunch, they wouldn't have them as yet.

Those are the special pre-release ones, they don't have them yet, but they will have them and ship them before the general retail release next year - even says so in the blurb!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Yeah looks like they've just pre-emptively stuck up pre-orders for the pre-release edition.

"Everything we have will be available to buy on the day Nick. Games wise we have a huge list of events; Trade stand, KoW Tournament, Paint an elf room, Sculpting corner, KS collection, Seminars, KoW Demo, KoW tutorial, Ultimate DB Area, DB Play zone, Loka Zone, Mars Attacks sneaky peaks, DZ Terrain making tutorials, Warlord Games, Hawk Wargames, Sarissa, Northstar, Dead Mans Hand."

"Everything we have" should consist of the entire of wave 1 for Deadzone (assuming the shipping containers arrive on time). I'm also pleasantly surprised that it's not just Mantic that'll be there like last year. Lots of other companies knocking around too.

I know of two participation games for definite (asides from the various demos). One that's a Warpath "hold out for as long as you can" scenario with Corporation against unending swarms of Veermyn. The other I know of is one that me and another pathfinder are running which is a big KoW game of Undead vs Ogres, with both sides respawning constantly and a tally being kept up of which side wins the most throughout the day. I think there are various others but those are the key ones I know of.

I'm also working on some Deadzone boards, and trying to convince other pathfinders to give it a go:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

See I'm liking this board, and if I were going to do something similar I'd have it be exactly 2 by 2 with no border to allow combining it with other boards.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

See I'm liking this board, and if I were going to do something similar I'd have it be exactly 2 by 2 with no border to allow combining it with other boards.

Ta. The border is actually part of the board and is just there to protect the foam. It's a wallpaper pasting table that's trimmed down but unfortunately was only 56cm wide, rather 60. Not too noticeable but is ever so slightly too small.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I'm moving end of November so picking it up from Mantic is a really good idea to avoid a crate of minis going missing.

I, if I ever get organised on the painting front, will look at doing a enough 2 by 2 boards for a 4 by 4 cityscape for Deadzone, Necromunda and 40k. The Deadzone scenery would be the main source of scenery with some barrels and other bits and bobs.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Daedleh posted:

I'm also working on some Deadzone boards, and trying to convince other pathfinders to give it a go:

This is a pretty awesome idea, are the foam blocks going to be modular? So you can re-arrange them for each game or will they be stuck in place? I like the modular approach, might have a look at picking up some timber for something similar, maybe making the tiles out of thin MDF instead of foam (but I like the capacity for building down that using the foam has given you to expose pipes etc. - pretty awesome)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy crap I am stoked for Deadzone. When the wave two survey goes out, can we pick up more wave 1 stuff at the KS prices? Or just stuff that was held back until wave 2?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They were originally going to only allow wave 2 stuff but changed their mind. You can add anything on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well that's going to get expensive. But that's awesome, and I'm glad I don't have to pay retail for the Marauders that I stupidly passed on.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
To be fair, the Marauders that we saw at the close of the Kickstarter sucked compared to how they look after they were fixed by their house sculptor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The change to allowing everything in the second wave was really handy for me, because it let me get one of each of the terrain types now with the ability to buy more of the ones I like later, as opposed to having to take a gamble on a few photos and some sprue renders when they were wave 1 only.

Planned to do the same with the zombies, but they won't make it in the first shipment. No harm.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

enri posted:

This is a pretty awesome idea, are the foam blocks going to be modular? So you can re-arrange them for each game or will they be stuck in place? I like the modular approach, might have a look at picking up some timber for something similar, maybe making the tiles out of thin MDF instead of foam (but I like the capacity for building down that using the foam has given you to expose pipes etc. - pretty awesome)

Didn't see this! The foam blocks are glued in place. I've conveniently got terrain pieces large enough to cover the holes in the floor. Using MDF/Hardboard would definitely be the way to go if you want a hard surface, but the mat is really, really swish. Unless you're going to be building down then the mat is awesome.

Mini update, Mantic's going to be all but shut from the the 25th November to start packing the Deadzone orders for about 3 weeks. If you're wanting to buy something off the website then you're best off ordering it in the next week or two.

They're also unsurprisingly pushing all the pathfinders to get out there and get demoing as soon as we get our copies. If you've got an LGS that you reckon could do with some demoing (or general support), let me know and I'll see if I can send someone your way. We've got poor coverage in the US at the moment but have most areas in the UK covered easily.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mars Attacks took a hit on Monday/Tuesday, they lost nearly $30k in backer funds, which was two stretch goals worth and nearly a third. They responded by throwing some new freebies into the basic pledges, cleaning up the process into a couple of 'single click packages' and shrinking a stretch goal value, and it stopped the bleeding, but it hasn't rebounded yet.

I'm sticking to my $140 early bird, and I'm still not sure I'm going to keep it - it's a lot of money for one board game, when I could easily go and pick up two other games and a LNoE expansion that I know my friends will play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Any idea what caused that? It coincides with some Deadzone news, including that one DZ update that people were getting inexplicably furious at.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

moths posted:

Any idea what caused that? It coincides with some Deadzone news, including that one DZ update that people were getting inexplicably furious at.

A lot of people on Dakka were talking about removing their pledges because Mantic haven't shown production minis from Deadzone yet, but then again the huge update was aimed at Dakka and they still found numerous ways to complain.

And lo and behold:

Just to confirm that I've got one of the resin masters of the Marauder and the production mini is every bit as detailed.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 6, 2013

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Those are looking great! I can't wait for my game to ship. I actually met another Northern VA guy on the Mantic forums who went in on Strike Team like me who is interested in a few games so I don't even have to scour the area to find another player. I've been furiously assembling and painting my Veer-myn army while I wait. So if there are any other NoVA goons who want to play some Deadzone or Warpath let me know I'll have the 4 core armies from strike team plus a lot of Asterians eventually.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Re: Mars Attacks, cancelled my pledge a few days back - felt bad for doing so but I've had to divert funds elsewhere for a short while. Still contemplating a smaller pledge to get back onboard before it ends at the weekend, but none of my pledge cancellations have been related to anything Mantic has or hasn't done, just purely down to personal situation.

Is that why they sent out an email the other day asking for feedback on people changing / cancelling pledges?

Daedleh posted:

Didn't see this! The foam blocks are glued in place. I've conveniently got terrain pieces large enough to cover the holes in the floor. Using MDF/Hardboard would definitely be the way to go if you want a hard surface, but the mat is really, really swish. Unless you're going to be building down then the mat is awesome.

I'm now contemplating a combination of MDF and styrofoam. The MDF to make the surface up, the foam tiles to allow me to build down (which is the real appeal for some reason, means you can do stuff like show off underground pipes, water features that aren't just 'on top' of the board but are actually built down and really feel a part of it etc.. there's no limits :D)

All contained in a deep'ish tray of sorts.

Oooh.. another woodwork project after my malifaux board is done I think... there.. just completely de-railed my day. I'm off to sketch some stuff up.

:D

Daedleh posted:

They're also unsurprisingly pushing all the pathfinders to get out there and get demoing as soon as we get our copies. If you've got an LGS that you reckon could do with some demoing (or general support), let me know and I'll see if I can send someone your way. We've got poor coverage in the US at the moment but have most areas in the UK covered easily.

We had a local path finder come to Milton Keynes recently to promote Kings of War, couldn't get down to the LGS that day though so I missed out. Not sure if they're booked in for anything similar with deadzone though as I stopped following the local shop / club on FB because I refuse to pay to play in a small, hot, noisy, smelly room when the main benefit of moving the club from the large open building to the small pokey store was... wait for it.. "we're not going to charge to play!" - of course you're not :rolleyes:

Wait, rambling off on a tangent.. anyway! Wargames Workshop in Milton Keynes, do you know if anyone's booked in for demos there? :)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, Dakka - Who else but you could get mad about a free $16 placeholder box of enforcers?

I hope tidying up the MA pledge levels will help it bounce back. I'm sure they can beat $500k in 4 days. Ironically, I think getting DZ in people's hands before MA ends could have potentially done more damage. Those production minis look rad, especially chiansaw mouth wolfliondog and the Plague 1st Gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

moths posted:

Aside from the no Deadzone minis thing, could also be a combination of people deciding there wasn't enough to buy with the $300 pledge and dropping to $150, people who were sitting on both pledges with 2 accounts making a decision on which one to keep, actual malcontents, and something about an AvP project taking all the money form people who were pledged but still undecided, though near as I can tell that project isn't live yet.

Those production minis for Deadzone look great, I get happier with my decision to back it for way too much money all the time, the kneeling Goblin sniper is rad as gently caress. Can't wait to see what the special alternate pose 1st Gen I backed enough to get will look like. What? :shepspends:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 6, 2013