Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I recently found some boxes of slides my dad took from 20-30 years ago. They look to all be in pretty good condition and I want to try save them before degredation sits in.

Whats the best home solution to this? Does anyone recommend a decent slide > digital scanner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think the main options are:
Whichever Epson is in your price range
Using a macro lens on your camera (Nikon do an official adaptor, ES-2, or you can jerryrig something)
A decent second hand scanner resurrected using Vuesan (a program that supports thousands of models that have long been abandoned by the manufacturer and don't have drivers for recent Windows versions)

A lot of the other scanners by more obscure companies seem to get mixed reviews.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think the main options are:
Whichever Epson is in your price range
Using a macro lens on your camera (Nikon do an official adaptor, ES-2, or you can jerryrig something)
A decent second hand scanner resurrected using Vuesan (a program that supports thousands of models that have long been abandoned by the manufacturer and don't have drivers for recent Windows versions)

A lot of the other scanners by more obscure companies seem to get mixed reviews.

Any particular Epson you would recommend?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I don't have any recent experience, so no!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

I don't have any recent experience, so no!

No worries. Thanks anyway.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I just asked about diy scanning with a macro in the Film thread. The recommendation was, for a lot of slides, to use a flatbed. Epson p700 I think?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

Any particular Epson you would recommend?
You basically have three sets of choices.
Your cheapest option is the Epson Perfection V370 which can only do 35mm film strips including mounted slides. It can handle four mounted slides at a time and the quality is ok but not great. Costs about $120 new.

Then there's the Epson Perfection V600 or the V550 (these are the same scanner internally, but the 600 comes with a copy of Adobe Elements). These can handle 35mm and 120 film including 35mm slides in their mounts. This is about $200 new and the quality is ok but not great for 35mm, much better for 120 film though. Like the V370, you can only do 4 mounted slides at a time.

The other choice is the V750/V800/V850 series which are significantly more capable machines and can also handle 4x5 and 8x10 negatives. You don't need that, but they will deliver markedly better scans of 35mm film, and they can do 12 mounted slides at a time. These will set you back about a grand though.

There's also the comedy option of the 12000XL which is a 4 grand scanner that can do pretty much everything, but if you're going to drop that much because you need that quality, just rent a Flextite.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ok cool, thanks. That's really helpful.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Does anybody have any experience with Hasselblad V series lenses? I am asking because I have one adapted on my mirrorless camera, and after a few days of playing with it, the internal shutter suddenly closed. I know I can cock (hehe!) the shutter, but I would like to not do that in the field. The lens manual states that the lens' shutter speed dial should be set to the F position when the lens is mounted on a camera with a focal plane shutter. Is this to leave the shutter permanently open? If so, that should work on my mirrorless camera as well, right?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

There are probably going to be so much 2nd hand gear from bankrupt wedding photographers oh boy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also so much non-canon gear if the new canon bodies are as good as the specs suggest.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
ironically i only managed to sell my 5D4 about a month into Corona-lockdown, after having it up for sale for ~2 months

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I loving hate myself for trying to take advantage of this by looking to score a digital medium format camera.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Love buying second hand EF glass. Good years ahead.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are there any camera focused messengers that will fit a small 17" laptop? This would be to carry the laptop and/or light amount of camera gear on a daily basis and for traveling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

Are there any camera focused messengers that will fit a small 17" laptop? This would be to carry the laptop and/or light amount of camera gear on a daily basis and for traveling.

Define "light amount of camera gear" because that can be pretty wide ranging. DSLR and a couple kit sized lenses? Small mirrorless setup?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Define "light amount of camera gear" because that can be pretty wide ranging. DSLR and a couple kit sized lenses? Small mirrorless setup?

Small mirrorless setup. A body with a couple lenses type deal. There are a billion bags like this that will carry a 15" laptop, 17" options seem to be nonexistent. It's a fairly small 17" laptop but it's still bigger than pretty much any 15" one.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Thanks, cat. I really needed you to push my D5600 off the shelf and break it.

:sigh:

Nikon isn't even accepting repairs right now, so I have a very nice paperweight. Not that I know what they'd do short of replacing the whole camera or telling me to go gently caress myself.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 11, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've been offered a 25% discount off MSRP on 'any' sigma lens due to Sigma not being able to fulfill a service obligation. I don't really need a lens right now so but what should I do? I could get something I guess but that would be a bit irresponsible. Is anything even worth 25% off MSRP to flip against street prices?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Last year I sold my gently used 150-600C for what I paid for it. Granted I got it on sale from Adorama new but it wasn’t some rare deal or anything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

Small mirrorless setup. A body with a couple lenses type deal. There are a billion bags like this that will carry a 15" laptop, 17" options seem to be nonexistent. It's a fairly small 17" laptop but it's still bigger than pretty much any 15" one.

Tenba has some backpacks for 17" laptops (hit the filter, there's 5 of them) but they're huge and largely carry bigger/more gear. You honestly might be better getting a dedicated laptop bag or backpack that you could then put a padded camera insert into.

Something like this or this might fit the bill for you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deviant posted:

Thanks, cat. I really needed you to push my D5600 off the shelf and break it.

:sigh:

Nikon isn't even accepting repairs right now, so I have a very nice paperweight. Not that I know what they'd do short of replacing the whole camera or telling me to go gently caress myself.
Have you looked at independent service options?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can fit my 17" MacBook Pro into a lot of '15.6' backpacks. My favorite being the case logic type with the 'camera' section at the top that can be fully divided out from the main bag. I can fit a full frame DSLR in that top camera pocket with a zoom lens so I rarely need the type that has the extra lens space that goes into the main compartment.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Tenba has some backpacks for 17" laptops (hit the filter, there's 5 of them) but they're huge and largely carry bigger/more gear. You honestly might be better getting a dedicated laptop bag or backpack that you could then put a padded camera insert into.

Something like this or this might fit the bill for you.

I'll actually look at those as I'll probably want a backpack too. I'm mainly focused on messengers right now though. The separate camera sleeve thing has definitely crossed my mind as far as backpacks go.

Shaocaholica posted:

I can fit my 17" MacBook Pro into a lot of '15.6' backpacks. My favorite being the case logic type with the 'camera' section at the top that can be fully divided out from the main bag. I can fit a full frame DSLR in that top camera pocket with a zoom lens so I rarely need the type that has the extra lens space that goes into the main compartment.

The laptop I've ordered is actually a bit smaller than the dimensions I can find for you macbook so I'll have to keep that in mind. Most of the camera related messengers that I've seen have something like a 15" internal dimension at most which is just a bit too small.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nm posted:

Have you looked at independent service options?

I have not. Do you have any suggestions? And would they gently caress up my Nikon warranty?

I sent a message to the store where I bought it, but I think they just send them out to Nikon.

Edit: Lol
"Nikon Shuttering Its Authorized Repair Program"

https://petapixel.com/2019/12/10/nikon-is-shutting-down-its-authorized-repair-program-in-march-2020/

At the end of the day, this is a $600 problem, max. It's not the end of the world. I'm just mad about it and I have no outlet except to be less stupid next time. It seems like the glass and flash themselves are still good. :mad:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 11, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deviant posted:

I have not. Do you have any suggestions? And would they gently caress up my Nikon warranty?

I sent a message to the store where I bought it, but I think they just send them out to Nikon.

Edit: Lol
"Nikon Shuttering Its Authorized Repair Program"

https://petapixel.com/2019/12/10/nikon-is-shutting-down-its-authorized-repair-program-in-march-2020/

At the end of the day, this is a $600 problem, max. It's not the end of the world. I'm just mad about it and I have no outlet except to be less stupid next time. It seems like the glass and flash themselves are still good. :mad:

I'll be honest, I don't know much about camera warranties because I buy used, but I would think if you send it to nikon eventually they will either:
1. Say buy a new one
2. Give you a repair price that keeps the warranty but costs as much as a used version of you body.

An independent shop might bring that number comfortably below a used body. You might get a short warranty on the repair.

I don't have an Nikon specific suggestions.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nm posted:

I'll be honest, I don't know much about camera warranties because I buy used, but I would think if you send it to nikon eventually they will either:
1. Say buy a new one
2. Give you a repair price that keeps the warranty but costs as much as a used version of you body.

An independent shop might bring that number comfortably below a used body. You might get a short warranty on the repair.

I don't have an Nikon specific suggestions.

I am in agreement on points 1 and 2, I just don't know anyone who does nikon repairs. I'll look around.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

CyberPingu posted:

Ok cool, thanks. That's really helpful.

I have a V370 that I don't need anymore because I upgraded to the v600. It's a reliable scanner and works just fine for 35mm negatives and slides. Let me know if you're in need!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Deviant posted:

I am in agreement on points 1 and 2, I just don't know anyone who does nikon repairs. I'll look around.

These people are like 2 blocks from me, but I have no experience with them:
http://www.camrepair.com/
They say they do things other than Nikon, but they're basically a Nikon shop only, and I don't shoot Nikon. If you need old pentax or yashicamat repair, I know places. Same with Sony.

This dudes cleaned by Sony RX100 sensor cheap AF, and they do nikons:
https://phototech.com/
Make sure they're open though. The actual repair facility is in NJ, so they might be open as the site says NYC is closed.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 12, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Does anyone happen to know if Adorama or B&H typically do big (or any) memorial day sales?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Does anyone happen to know if Adorama or B&H typically do big (or any) memorial day sales?

Both likely will, but as memory serves those are typically times they're just putting low-level kit setups and stuff on sale. You might find some good stuff depending on what you're looking for, though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DJExile posted:

Both likely will, but as memory serves those are typically times they're just putting low-level kit setups and stuff on sale. You might find some good stuff depending on what you're looking for, though.

I was hoping to pick up a Tamron 90mm macro or similar.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tamron's been making the 90mm macro forever, have you looked used? I got a used screw drive one for my Nikon cheap and it's been great.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Aren't sale prices controlled mostly by the manufacturers on new stuff? I've heard of people using greentoe to get better deals that what retailers are allowed to advertise, but don't have any experience using myself.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
re: film scanners

I purchased a Plustek 8200se to use. Yes, it's more than a v550/v600 but it does come with Silvertek 8 SE, which is like 100 bucks separate. The quality of the scans is really nice. Now I haven't used the Epsons, but I have to imagine they're not as good for 35mm.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

Aren't sale prices controlled mostly by the manufacturers on new stuff? I've heard of people using greentoe to get better deals that what retailers are allowed to advertise, but don't have any experience using myself.

Largely, yeah. Especially on anything higher end.

Memorial Day sale might find you some deals on things like memory cards, external drives, bags, etc., so they're still worth checking if you want to upgrade some of the stuff around your camera.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Phototech quoted me $250 for the drop damaged d5600 i posted before.

Not so bad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Looking like neither the X-T30 nor the X-T3 will have a good sale this year (with the 18-55mm lens)

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
The Fuji 50-140mm is having a sale of sorts, I’ve been eyeing it for a long time so I got one! Sweet lens. Big lens (relative to my much lighter 18-55). What’s a good strap to use for a significantly heavier camera? I like to walk around and hike and wear my xt3 cross-body on the factory strap, but I can’t get away with that here. I’ve been looking at several sites, Peak Design is always recommended. I think their little proprietary attachment dongles look kinda silly, but I can get over that if it’s my only good option. A Magpul MS4 strap looks really cool, but I’ll need to add extra QD hardware. What else... Blackrapid, I guess? I dunno. Then again, factory strap might be just fine, it’s only like a 4lb body+lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Smoove J posted:

The Fuji 50-140mm is having a sale of sorts, I’ve been eyeing it for a long time so I got one! Sweet lens. Big lens (relative to my much lighter 18-55). What’s a good strap to use for a significantly heavier camera? I like to walk around and hike and wear my xt3 cross-body on the factory strap, but I can’t get away with that here. I’ve been looking at several sites, Peak Design is always recommended. I think their little proprietary attachment dongles look kinda silly, but I can get over that if it’s my only good option. A Magpul MS4 strap looks really cool, but I’ll need to add extra QD hardware. What else... Blackrapid, I guess? I dunno. Then again, factory strap might be just fine, it’s only like a 4lb body+lens.

Blackrapid and the similar hinged straps that put the camera behind your hip are awesome regardless of camera size. Helps keep it more out of the way.