Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

DJExile posted:

Blackrapid and the similar hinged straps that put the camera behind your hip are awesome regardless of camera size. Helps keep it more out of the way.

100%. They’re also great for hanging heavy lens/body combos from a tripod foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Anyone got a Fuji XF 56mm 1.2 they want to part with?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Did Tamrac go out of business? Every item on their website is "sold out" and they haven't Tweeted in almost a year.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Pretty sure they got bought out by someone. I forget who, maybe they’re subsetting the brand.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

kefkafloyd posted:

Pretty sure they got bought out by someone. I forget who, maybe they’re subsetting the brand.

The original Tamrac company went bankrupt and got bought out by Gura Gear back in 2014. There's been some back-and-forth over which brand the company uses more actively, and for a while Gura Gear just did all its trading under Tamrac. I think they just abandoned Twitter last year; the Gura Gear Twitter stopped updating late last year, too. Meanwhile, the Tamrac Instagram last updated back in April - not "recently" but not a year, either.

B&H and Adorama still have a lot of Tamrac stuff listed (and the out-of-stock is "backorder", not "discontinued") so I expect they're still around in one form or another. Maybe it's just in Coronavirus-related hibernation?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I wouldn't take the social media stuff too definitively, it may very well be the person who ran it left the company and they just never got a replacement.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Yond Cassius posted:

The original Tamrac company went bankrupt and got bought out by Gura Gear back in 2014. There's been some back-and-forth over which brand the company uses more actively, and for a while Gura Gear just did all its trading under Tamrac. I think they just abandoned Twitter last year; the Gura Gear Twitter stopped updating late last year, too. Meanwhile, the Tamrac Instagram last updated back in April - not "recently" but not a year, either.

B&H and Adorama still have a lot of Tamrac stuff listed (and the out-of-stock is "backorder", not "discontinued") so I expect they're still around in one form or another. Maybe it's just in Coronavirus-related hibernation?

Dont buy tamrac they rip open after like 1wk plus they dont work with Canons

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

larper posted:

I don’t have a Canon and I owned a Tamrac bag for about 10 years that never tore. I buy mostly Tenba now, but Tamrac made some good small bags for day jaunts and the like.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

larper posted:

How does a bag not work with a particular brand of cameras?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Check that user's post history

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Canon's superior ergonomics are just too much for most camera bags to contain.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello fellow dorkroom posters.

With the future of SA up in the air it would be a shame to lose this wonderful community to the ether, this is my favorite place to post about photography and get dunked on by people who are far more talented than me. To that end there's a new stickied thread and a Dorkroom discord has been made. If the worst comes to pass it'd be a shame to lose touch with all of you fine posters, so please come in and have a chat, or let us know some of your other favorite places to talk about photography.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929110

https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

To celebrate one of my local camera stores reopening I finally picked up a Tenba DNA 15 Slim to use as a commute and photo bag and holy poo poo is it nice.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

qirex posted:

To celebrate one of my local camera stores reopening I finally picked up a Tenba DNA 15 Slim to use as a commute and photo bag and holy poo poo is it nice.

Tenba bags are best bags.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tripod thread is archived so I'll ask here:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/manfrotto-compact-advanced-smart-65-tripod-black/6244900.p?skuId=6244900

I was suggested this so I could use it with my phone & with my T7i. I hear manfrotto is good. Good suggestion or bad suggestion?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are you using it for? You could put a phone holder like that on any tripod and I don’t think having it bundled in is a notable advantage. Manfrotto is fine, but I’d rather have a ball head for stills even on a cheap tripod. And really it’s pretty bottom of the barrel for tripods. It’ll hold the camera up fine but might not be so nice to use.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Manfrotto is good, I've always found their tripods to be on the heavier side. I personally use Sirui tripods and heads, they hit the good spot between lightweight and portable while still being heavy duty and reliable.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The expensive Manfrotto tripods are good, but not as good IME as Benro, or Sirui or any number of other decent brands. Their cheap tripods are no better than any other no-brand tripod though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

powderific posted:

What are you using it for? You could put a phone holder like that on any tripod and I don’t think having it bundled in is a notable advantage. Manfrotto is fine, but I’d rather have a ball head for stills even on a cheap tripod. And really it’s pretty bottom of the barrel for tripods. It’ll hold the camera up fine but might not be so nice to use.

Well, I'll want to do astrophotography with the pixel 4 and also once my T7i comes in, so I'm looking to see what will be my best bet. One tripod and two uses seems useful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main problem with manfrotto is their entry level stuff isn't arca-swiss compatible. I guess for a true beginner that won't matter because you'll end up replacing your first tripod+head in a few years anyways, so feel free to buy whatever and then get good stuff when you know more. But it's still worth pointing out just in case one expects this to be the only tripod they'll ever buy.

I think manfrotto offers three camera attachment styles (one of which is arca-swiss). Stubborn bastards need to get over that poo poo and convert their whole line to the One True Plate.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreaseGunner posted:

Manfrotto is good, I've always found their tripods to be on the heavier side. I personally use Sirui tripods and heads, they hit the good spot between lightweight and portable while still being heavy duty and reliable.

I like Sirui stuff too, it's a good buy if you don't want to fork out the $$$$ for Gitzo or similar stuff. But the Slik Pro 700DX is worth looking at too, it's been around forever (I bought one as my first "real" tripod back in the 90s) and is a solid, reliable piece of gear. Bit heavy perhaps but most better entry level tripods are.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well, I'll want to do astrophotography with the pixel 4 and also once my T7i comes in, so I'm looking to see what will be my best bet. One tripod and two uses seems useful.

What I'm saying is that the tripod comes with a $10 phone holder that has a 1/4 20 socket on the bottom that will work with any photo tripod plate. This isn't a special multi-use tripod, it's a regular tripod bundled with a phone holder. I would buy a tripod with a ballhead and buy the phone holder separately (you can even but that specific manfrotto holder if you want.) The main thing I'd suggest is a ball head.

powderific fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 29, 2020

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I’m finding myself out of work for the next ~6 weeks. I’m thinking about checking an item off my bucket list and doing a photo and video blog of the American west, and I’m looking for gear that would stabilize an SLR shooting video from a car. Thoughts on how I can do this? I have a canon 6D and a 5D4.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Drewski posted:

I’m finding myself out of work for the next ~6 weeks. I’m thinking about checking an item off my bucket list and doing a photo and video blog of the American west, and I’m looking for gear that would stabilize an SLR shooting video from a car. Thoughts on how I can do this? I have a canon 6D and a 5D4.

For video from a moving car? A (very) expensive gimbal, the weight of the setup is the main factor and those are not light setups, what lenses are you mounting?

Consider a lighter setup for video on a cheaper gimbal.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you need it to be mounted to the car or are you going to hold the stabilizer in your hands? Are you using it to film the outside or inside of the car? For something you’re holding and pointing out the windows a gimbal of some kind makes sense; if you want to mount it (like you’re gonna have it on you to talk to camera while driving) probably a suction cup mount. Same for if you’re mountain outside the car, though you’ll really want to make sure you know what you’re doing and use a safety line.

Edit: I don’t know what kind of price is expensive to you but I think most of the halfway decent gimbals that would run a mirrorless setup wouldn’t have an issue with a 5d. Think like $500 range gets you something that’ll do it no problem.

If you want something hard mounted to the car this is a good use case for a GoPro with a suction mount though and that’d be a little easier to just stick wherever to get some additional broll.

powderific fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 30, 2020

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
wrong thread

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 1, 2020

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I’d be mounting a 5d4 with a 24-70 lens. I wouldn’t be holding it; I’m looking to get some filler shots of the drive south out my rear right passenger window. Hopefully wide enough to be able to get some decent ocean video that I can use to overlay audio for a YouTube video.

I think you may be on to something with the GoPro idea though - that’s definitely cheaper than a good gimbal and they have that auto smoothing capability. Thanks for the idea.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah in that case I would just do a GoPro. You can get more creative with the mounting, it’s gonna be easier to deal with, and for that kinda project I think it’d be handy to have anyway.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried these carrying systems that are like a tight strap against your body that you can snap the camera into when you aren't using it? I keep getting the Cotton brand ones advertised the most to me, both chest strap and belt style strap. It seems pretty appealing for me in theory, I'm doing almost all my shooting while hiking or on long outdoor walks and the bag gets heavy. My two most frequent lenses are a canon 70-300mm L, which is a little heavy, and a 100mm macro that I usually have my flash setup out with, and I don't know if the bigger lens is too much for a system like that.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Has anyone tried these carrying systems that are like a tight strap against your body that you can snap the camera into when you aren't using it? I keep getting the Cotton brand ones advertised the most to me, both chest strap and belt style strap. It seems pretty appealing for me in theory, I'm doing almost all my shooting while hiking or on long outdoor walks and the bag gets heavy. My two most frequent lenses are a canon 70-300mm L, which is a little heavy, and a 100mm macro that I usually have my flash setup out with, and I don't know if the bigger lens is too much for a system like that.

I've got a Cotton Carrier Skout and a Peak Design Capture Clip I've used on packs. Both work pretty well, but the Skout is more secure to me and distributes the weight a little better. The only thing I dislike about the Skout is that the tripod-compatible plate is huge.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

I've got a Cotton Carrier Skout and a Peak Design Capture Clip I've used on packs. Both work pretty well, but the Skout is more secure to me and distributes the weight a little better. The only thing I dislike about the Skout is that the tripod-compatible plate is huge.

Cool, glad to see they aren't all gimmick junk. Being able to "holster" the camera on my chest or hip and have maybe a second clip for a 2nd lens seemed really appealing when hiking or maybe even biking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried renting out their gear? I'm really itching to get the R6 and although I can afford it, it's a bit difficult to justify the full price since it'd be sitting idle 99.9% of the time. Even as an "enthusiast" I really only get to shoot on some weekend trips, occasional concerts or vacations. Seems like if I could get insurance for it, the risk for me would be pretty small and help offset the purchase price instead of depreciating on the shelf.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried renting out their gear? I'm really itching to get the R6 and although I can afford it, it's a bit difficult to justify the full price since it'd be sitting idle 99.9% of the time. Even as an "enthusiast" I really only get to shoot on some weekend trips, occasional concerts or vacations. Seems like if I could get insurance for it, the risk for me would be pretty small and help offset the purchase price instead of depreciating on the shelf.

I've rented out lenses and bodies a couple times from lensrentals.com and was very happy with them. If you're lusting after something really high end it can be a nice way to test it out and play with it for a weekend or week to see if it's something you'd want all the time or to help you realize you don't really need it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

I've rented out lenses and bodies a couple times from lensrentals.com and was very happy with them. If you're lusting after something really high end it can be a nice way to test it out and play with it for a weekend or week to see if it's something you'd want all the time or to help you realize you don't really need it.

I think he's talking about buying the gear and then renting it out himself to others, not paying to borrow from a site like LensRentals.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh whoops.

Yeah if you mean that then I sure as hell hope you trust the people you're renting your stuff to.

Also stop worrying about depreciation of camera lenses. They're not investments and this hobby is nothing but the gleeful torching of money. Enjoy what you have, sell things if you want to, but trying to get every dime you put into a lens back out of it is both a fools errand and going to make you hate the hobby really fast.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I’ve read enough horror stories about kitsplit and sharegrid that I wouldn’t trust a complete stranger to rent my gear without 100% collateral. I do rent out my stuff to colleagues who shoot for commercial clients because they pass the cost along and I know they’re not just going to disappear with it, and they have insurance in case it gets destroyed.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DJExile posted:

They're not investments and this hobby is nothing but the gleeful torching of money. Enjoy what you have, sell things if you want to, but trying to get every dime you put into a lens back out of it is both a fools errand and going to make you hate the hobby really fast.

This should be the first paragraph in the OP.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DJExile posted:

Oh whoops.

Yeah if you mean that then I sure as hell hope you trust the people you're renting your stuff to.

Also stop worrying about depreciation of camera lenses. They're not investments and this hobby is nothing but the gleeful torching of money. Enjoy what you have, sell things if you want to, but trying to get every dime you put into a lens back out of it is both a fools errand and going to make you hate the hobby really fast.

It's weird how people talk about investing in camera equipment but no one says that when buying a car.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Thom12255 posted:

It's weird how people talk about investing in camera equipment but no one says that when buying a car.

You should check out the Bad With Money thread. "Truck equity" is a running joke over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The only thing that classes as an investment might be the big tele primes 600 f/4 etc if you buy second hand you generally won't lose anything if you still it on.