Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is SFX 64bit on Mac? Wondering if the old version will still work on current MacOS given that they've removed 32bit executable support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anyone own/have experience with Aoka tripods?

A friend recently bought one of their carbon fiber travel tripods and for the price it seems like a killer off-brand tripod punching way above it's class. They must be pretty new on the scene though as I haven't been able to find many reviews of them:

https://www.amazon.com/KF324C-Travel-Tripod-Section-Profile/dp/B083B655M6

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That ball head looks like trash but the legs seem fine from the photos. It looks like yet another chinese brand stealing parts off someone else's assembly line and selling it under their own name.. so the legs are probably serviceable.

My only real problem with it is that 52.6 inches max height is comically short. I guess it's normal for travel legs to be a little smaller, but most of the big brands can at least give 60 inches.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

MMD3 posted:

Does anyone own/have experience with Aoka tripods?

A friend recently bought one of their carbon fiber travel tripods and for the price it seems like a killer off-brand tripod punching way above it's class. They must be pretty new on the scene though as I haven't been able to find many reviews of them:

https://www.amazon.com/KF324C-Travel-Tripod-Section-Profile/dp/B083B655M6

I bought this for a backpacking trip I'm literally about to walk out the door for. Obviously a very different type of tripod, but the build quality seems good and the head seems good for what I'll be using it for (Canon M50 w/ fairly light lenses).

I guess I'll let you know more after this weekend.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I bought this for a backpacking trip I'm literally about to walk out the door for. Obviously a very different type of tripod, but the build quality seems good and the head seems good for what I'll be using it for (Canon M50 w/ fairly light lenses).

I guess I'll let you know more after this weekend.

So an update after a weekend spent hiking with the small AOKA I linked above. Overall my impressions were favorable. Obviously a tiny backpacking tripod is going to be a bit different than a regular size tripod, but the build quality is good. The ballhead was solid and did not sag after I set it when using my ultrawide lens. I did have a slight bit of sag when I was using a 55-250mm telephoto zoomed in (for very front heavy), but tightening the head a little bit extra seemed to solve that. More concerning was that the leg clamps seemed to loosen a bit and I had to check them each time I moved the tripod. Admittedly it was literally freezing so perhaps I didn't tighten them as much as I should have.

Overall I feel like I damning it with faint praise. I'm honestly not sure how much cheaper than the competition the tripod you linked is, but if it's significant I'd say it's worth buying and trying out. It has free returns and Amazon has always been pretty painless in that regard for me.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Hi. Looking for recommendations but I may be in under your heads. My wife and I take lots of photos of our dog and daughter. We take lots of photos of birds and other animals who we encounter and of ... landscapes, I guess? Our daily driver is each of our Samsung Galaxy Edge 5 (6?) smart phones (whose camera we actually love, especially wrt how it does in low light). We also own a Canon Powershot SX400 IS which we like because it has a 30x optical zoom and because, not being a smart phone, it makes us feel like we're being photographers.

We'd like (I think) a more modern point-and-shoot which allows for but does not require manual control of ISO, shutterspeed, etc. We'd like it to be "camera plus lense" shaped, allowing for the 'long barrel' hold on high zoom shots. We're also open to mirrorless or DSLR type cameras, but we definitely need something that 'just works' by default. Bonus points for something where we can twist a lens for zoominess rather than pressing a w/t button. Flexible budget of roughly $500 CAD (~~$400 USD).

Browsing these things makes me flustered. So many options. This Powershot looks like a beefier, more modern version of our current camera (with a twisty lens!), but it has some pretty damning reviews. Should I believe them? I've looked at some Canon Rebel T6/T7 models, which seem appealing to me. As far as I can tell, the T7 is just 'the next version' of the T6? Is there some darling in the price ballpark I've described?

Thanks in advance.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Newf posted:

Hi. Looking for recommendations but I may be in under your heads. My wife and I take lots of photos of our dog and daughter. We take lots of photos of birds and other animals who we encounter and of ... landscapes, I guess? Our daily driver is each of our Samsung Galaxy Edge 5 (6?) smart phones (whose camera we actually love, especially wrt how it does in low light). We also own a Canon Powershot SX400 IS which we like because it has a 30x optical zoom and because, not being a smart phone, it makes us feel like we're being photographers.

We'd like (I think) a more modern point-and-shoot which allows for but does not require manual control of ISO, shutterspeed, etc. We'd like it to be "camera plus lense" shaped, allowing for the 'long barrel' hold on high zoom shots. We're also open to mirrorless or DSLR type cameras, but we definitely need something that 'just works' by default. Bonus points for something where we can twist a lens for zoominess rather than pressing a w/t button. Flexible budget of roughly $500 CAD (~~$400 USD).

Browsing these things makes me flustered. So many options. This Powershot looks like a beefier, more modern version of our current camera (with a twisty lens!), but it has some pretty damning reviews. Should I believe them? I've looked at some Canon Rebel T6/T7 models, which seem appealing to me. As far as I can tell, the T7 is just 'the next version' of the T6? Is there some darling in the price ballpark I've described?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I've got an answer for you, but I'll just mention that it's not really feasible to cover the same zoom range with a DSLR and a single lens as you would with a current superzoom point and shoot. The best you could do would probably be one of the Tamron lenses that's like 18mm to 300 or 400mm. Your comments seem to indicate real desire for convenience, so I think I'd recommend whatever the best superzoom/bridge/travel zoom you can afford.

OR... try to picture your photo activities where you might take your wider shots with your phones, and leave a telephoto on your camera most of the time that could handle dogge, kids, and wildlife. That way you wouldn't have to bring two lenses. The T6/T7 are at the low end of the Canon DSLR lineup. Looking at the specs I don't know that there's any absolute dealbreaker for the t6 compared to the t7 but the t7 has higher resolution (nice for cropping in on the birds) and larger buffer. Then maybe look for a 55-250mm lens. It's got stabilization (which the kit 75-300mm doesn't have) and will be more broadly useful at the wide end even if it's not quite as long for those bird photos. Don't be afraid to look for refurbished (with warranty) or even used (as long as you can return it).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For interchangeable lens cameras I would look at Micro 4/3, ie Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless options, as they will be able to get you bigger zoom ranges in a smaller package. One good thing about either that or the Canon is that most of your options are going to be twisty zoom.

But, as just said, nothing with an interchangeable lens is gonna get you that kind of zoom range. People talk about "equivalent" focal lengths here which helps give comparison. The details don't matter so much for you other than this: your current camera is equivalent to 24mm to 720mm (the big number is the zoomed in length), which no reasonable interchangeable lens camera is going to be able to do. But if you're not going all the way out to the long end very often you can certainly get something that's still reasonable flexible, though it'll be more like 24mm to maybe 400mm equivalent best case.

What are you wanting to improve over your current SX400 and cameraphone combo?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I've shot fairly extensively with both Canon APS-C cameras and "superzoom" cameras like the SX70 linked above. The big thing to understand is that they use very different image sensors. The physical sensor on an APS-C camera (IE, any Canon T series or 70/80/90d) is something like 9 times the surface area of a 1/2.3" sensor like the SX70 has. Sensor size is pretty correlated to image quality, but it also means that your lens has to be much larger and more expensive to get what looks like the same zoom out of your picture.

At your budget, you'll probably struggle to get what you want. You best shot would be a slightly older DSLR body and the 18-55 STM and 55-250 STM. 250mm can work for fairly close birds, but it can be frustrating. I've done tests with my SX40 and the 55-250mm STM and if you crop the 55-250mm you end up with pretty similar image quality, but it doesn't always feel like it.

I would suggest looking at some of Canon's lower end Powershot cameras with high zooms. The SX720/730/740 and SX420 and SX540 will all probably get your image quality fairly close to the SX70 you linked, but they tend to sell for a lot less, at least here in the US.

If you can deal with a little less zoom then the DSLR kit above will get you much higher image quality and give you the flexibility to add additional lenses down the line should you want to.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Sony RX10 seems like it would be a great fit with 24-600 equivalent on a 1" sensor but used prices even on the previous Mk III model are still pretty dear [800+ USD].

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what the newer models are like but the Panasonic Lumix FZ-50 I had like 10 years ago had very DSLR-like ergonomics. Looks like the current-ish models are FZ-1000, FZ-1000 II, and FZ-2500.

DPReview has a listing of the similar cameras, so maybe check this out https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-enthusiast-long-zoom-cameras. The Sony qirex mentioned was their recommended.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
What’s that one crazy rear end nikon? P1000 or something...

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
A quick thanks for the feedback - all useful. I have some followup questions but no time immediately to do prerequisite homework before asking again.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Used Panasonic GF5 with the kit lens and 45-200mm lens would come in well under budget and give you a full range at infinity better quality than any of the bridge/superzooms that have been mentioned. Stick it in the iA mode and it will see you right.

Edit: powderific - you have a choice of 300/400 mm lenses in m43 which give you 600/800mm equivalent.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 15, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I’m aware and that’s why I mentioned micro 4/3 — I meant there’s no super zoom all lengths kinda thing, you’re maxing out at 400mm equiv while the camera they have hits 720mm. If they’re good with two lenses or something shorter that’s fine, but they didn’t clarify what exactly they were hoping to do better.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
Still parsing things and poking around Amazon and etc, but one quick follow-up: several mentions here of used this or that - what marketplaces am I looking at for used camera gear? eBay? My local kijiji (not a major center)?

e: I see now that Amazon itself seems to be listing a lot of used cameras.

e: ok then, how about this? Canon 70d with 40, 50, and 18-135mm lenses asking $850 CAD. Damaged LCD screen.

One other thing I can update is that we are leaning toward the instant-shot capabilities of DSLR / mirrorless. We've missed a lot of shots due to the point-and-shoot's 'refocus' delay after you press the button.

Newf fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 17, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Newf posted:

Still parsing things and poking around Amazon and etc, but one quick follow-up: several mentions here of used this or that - what marketplaces am I looking at for used camera gear? eBay? My local kijiji (not a major center)?

e: I see now that Amazon itself seems to be listing a lot of used cameras.

Adorama, B&H, and KEH. All do used, compare, you'll frequently find very similar gear at wide price differential.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Canon’s direct refurb outlet is a safe bet too.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

torgeaux posted:

Adorama, B&H, and KEH. All do used, compare, you'll frequently find very similar gear at wide price differential.

I'd add MPB to that list too. They tend to have good stock and prices.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Facebook Marketplace is often a good place to look. As well as people offloading gear they don't need, there are also usually local stores selling used stock on there too. Just be aware that a lot of people don't understand that their $600 camera isn't worth $550 two years later.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I had $12,000 worth of A7RIII and lenses damaged or destroyed in a car accident should I take this opportunity to switch to Nikon or Cannon or should I buy back into Sony

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean... did you like Sony? Have you handled either of them and thought they were great? Both don’t have anywhere near as mature lens library unless you adapt, though if what they have covers you might not matter so much. I’d rather have canon or Nikon for ergonomics, but that’s a very personal preference kinda thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

What do you shoot? Do any of the released or rumored Canon specialty RF lenses (28-70 F/2, small 70-200 f/2.8) appeal to you?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
What's a good bag for a DSLR with a battery grip and three lenses? (D7000, specifically.)

powderific posted:

I mean... did you like Sony? Have you handled either of them and thought they were great? Both don’t have anywhere near as mature lens library unless you adapt, though if what they have covers you might not matter so much. I’d rather have canon or Nikon for ergonomics, but that’s a very personal preference kinda thing.
If starting fresh, very much what feels good in your hands. I prefer the D-pad and two thumbdials on a Nikon, others like the big wheel on the back that Canon has. Also I had access to somebody else's Nikon lenses, which ... was a bonus. Canon changes the lens mount every generation, Nikon autofocus lenses from the 1990s work with certain modern bodies (D7xxx or better), and anything from 1949 works in manual mode.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 18, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Canon changes the lens mount every generation, Nikon autofocus lenses from the 1990s work with certain modern bodies (D7xxx or better), and anything from 1949 works in manual mode.

Just to be clear we're talking human generations here, not camera generations. My Canon 400/5.6L was released in 1993.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I mostly shoot landscapes but I also like messing around with macro and extreme zooms (two of the lenses in the accident were Sony's macro and their 200-600mm).

When I first started buying into the Sony ecosystem I wanted the smallest camera with the biggest sensor and would shove it into a large jacket pocket when I went hiking.

But that evolved over the last decade into never taking the battery grip off the A7R and having 30 pounds of lenses and gear in a backpack and never getting more than a mile from the car. I'm not sure small size really matters any more to me and I also now have a lot more money than I used to so I can afford something small and nice if I want a second camera that's better for hiking.

Like I might be tempted by the D850 but its 3 years old which is kind of a turn off? I was a Nikon man before Sony.

I should probably stick with Sony and just add an A7C if I want a jacket pocket camera again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything you're saying says stick with Sony. They make excellent cameras and their lenses are great too. I think the only real critique on them is their mount, it's just barely big enough for full frame and it limits what they can do with IBIS. But for stills folks it doesn't matter.

Canon just made a big splash but I don't think it's big enough to switch over unless you are just tired of Sony. Fuji is making great bodies too. I don't hear much about Nikon but I assume they're doing just dandy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The biggest ding on Sony use (versus cost/lens availability ) is their menus, and if you've been I the system for a bit, seems like you're already ok with that. Stay with Sony.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Use a rental place and try out another body/system for a week.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

torgeaux posted:

The biggest ding on Sony use (versus cost/lens availability ) is their menus, and if you've been I the system for a bit, seems like you're already ok with that. Stay with Sony.

While I do not love their menu layout, I think the issue is overblown. The function menu (12 functions) can be customized and then there are 4 more customizable buttons. I only use the actual menu for formatting the card, EFCS, and pixel shift, and I rarely use the latter two.

I have a bigger issue with the lack of a good native 28 mm option and a native ~200 mm macro. Fortunately, you can adapt lenses, and I have more adapted lenses than native lenses.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Just to be clear we're talking human generations here, not camera generations. My Canon 400/5.6L was released in 1993.

:lol: Seriously. For those possibly not familiar, one of the knocks against Canon is that they made a clean break on lens compatibility when they moved from the manual focus FD mount to the autofocus EF in 1987. You couldn't mount an FD lens to an EF mount, even with an adapter. Canon did introduce a FF mirrorless mount a couple years ago, but you can happily mount any EF lens with a fairly inexpensive adapter and can actually mount FD lenses again, so you can mount any Canon lens made since ~1959 if not earlier.

Canon does have the EF-M mount, a 1.6x crop mount, which can mount EF/EF-S with a cheap adapter, but the lenses will most likely not ever be compatible with the RF mount and it very well may go away in the next few years.

bird with big dick posted:

But that evolved over the last decade into never taking the battery grip off the A7R and having 30 pounds of lenses and gear in a backpack and never getting more than a mile from the car. I'm not sure small size really matters any more to me and I also now have a lot more money than I used to so I can afford something small and nice if I want a second camera that's better for hiking.

Seems like you are definitely someone who's going to end up with a full frame system and a bunch of big lenses. I would encourage you to make choices that allow you to still have a compact camera with at least 1-2 small lenses you can still take hiking.

When I started lugging around a 150-600mm lens for birding a few years ago it really negatively impacted all my other photography. At first I still packed along my 17-50mm (on a crop camera), but rarely swapped lenses since it was such a pain. Eventually I just started leaving that lens behind and did all sorts of amazing hikes and missed out on years of fantastic landscape opportunities.

I couple months ago I bought a Canon M50 and a few fairly light lenses. Now I can carry around a body and a lens or two and the whole thing weighs under a kilogram (2.2lbs). It's totally reignited my love for photography.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The company with the longest-reaching, most-complete lens backwards compatibility is actually Pentax. The K mount is fully forwards and backwards compatible across all versions until very recently, with modern bodies supporting mechanical aperture coupling and 1970s bodies being fully capable of mounting modern lenses. Until they started making electronic lenses without aperture rings, you could take a camera and lens from 2015 and a camera and lens from 1975 and swap them around and they'd work perfectly. With an M42 adapter, you also get aperture priority functions on M42 SMCs and Super-Takumars, and fully functional stop-down metering on everything back to the very first Auto-Takumar 55.2, just as you would have had on the first Asahiflex in 1952.

The only system with the same longevity is Leica M, and they've never had automatic anything so it's not really comparable.

I am still a little bitter that Pentax didn't end up as one of the big three. They always had good stuff.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 19, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was all ready to what about Minolta but turns out the A mount was only invented in 1985 so it’s just a baby and chuffing Nora I’m old because I had the metal bodied lenses bought for me new for Christmas and birthdays by my grandpa.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For all the complaints by people who wanted to use their FD lenses, I think there's also a strong argument that Canon's decision to go a clean-sheet design that prioritised future design requirements over backwards compatibility was a contribution to their ability to become the dominant player they became.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, Nikon is kinda limited by the tiny ancient lensmount. OTOH, that ancient glass is cheap!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, were they actually that limited by the smaller mount though? They made it to the next generation of technology in the form of mirrorless without appreciably lagging behind Canon (other than not having the two f1.2 primes) as far as I can tell.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think it made life simpler for Canon which translated in to less R&D effort, lower costs (lower RRP or more profit) and simpler customer support/sale pitching. By comparison, Nikon always had a spaghetti of body-lens compatibility, the cost of including the in-body autofocus on the higher end bodies, the cost of the mechanical diaphragm mechanism, etc. Death by a thousand papercuts for a benefit that was actually only relevant to a minority of the customer base.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 19, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that’s all fair and makes sense. Less a thing where it held back their lens design and more that the legacy support added a lot of little extra problems.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

The company with the longest-reaching, most-complete lens backwards compatibility is actually Pentax. The K mount is fully forwards and backwards compatible across all versions until very recently, with modern bodies supporting mechanical aperture coupling and 1970s bodies being fully capable of mounting modern lenses. Until they started making electronic lenses without aperture rings, you could take a camera and lens from 2015 and a camera and lens from 1975 and swap them around and they'd work perfectly. With an M42 adapter, you also get aperture priority functions on M42 SMCs and Super-Takumars, and fully functional stop-down metering on everything back to the very first Auto-Takumar 55.2, just as you would have had on the first Asahiflex in 1952.

The only system with the same longevity is Leica M, and they've never had automatic anything so it's not really comparable.

I am still a little bitter that Pentax didn't end up as one of the big three. They always had good stuff.

Quoted for truth. Especially the regretful bit.
*buys another sub-$100, manual-focus lens on eBay* *wipes tear*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think it made life simpler for Canon which translated in to less R&D effort, lower costs (lower RRP or more profit) and simpler customer support/sale pitching. By comparison, Nikon always had a spaghetti of body-lens compatibility, the cost of including the in-body autofocus on the higher end bodies, the cost of the mechanical diaphragm mechanism, etc. Death by a thousand papercuts for a benefit that was actually only relevant to a minority of the customer base.

I used to enjoy pointing out the "compatibility matrix" to the Nikon fanbois where lens A would work on body B but explode on body C and lens B might create a black hole if you use ISO 400 film with it and so on and so forth.

Pretty happy they started fresh with the Z series. The glass has been loving outstanding so far.