Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Is there a resource on what you are all talking about with Fuji? We are getting back into the hobby after around ten years hiatus. We have some Lightroom experience but not a whole lot beyond working in black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

I really need to consider just going Fuji so I can just rely on jpegs.

I got a Fuji and can't bring myself to just shoot jpegs, I'm a freak who wants to edit every photo I take.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i want to never ever edit anything but also cant bring myself to lose data shooting jpegs just in case i stop hating editing later. my brain is dumb

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Achmed Jones posted:

i want to never ever edit anything but also cant bring myself to lose data shooting jpegs just in case i stop hating editing later. my brain is dumb

Just shoot JPEG and RAW simultaneously. Looks like hell in Lightroom when you import photos but it’s the best of both worlds

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ha i tried that, but it made culling the bad photos even worse! maybe it'd be less obnoxious if i had lightroom but, i dont

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I like how Capture One retains the Fujifilm film simulations, so it’s easy to make minor adjustments if needed. I started shooting mostly jpeg but transitioned to RAW recently

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doesn’t Lightroom just apply whatever film sim you picked in-camera to the RAW?

I, too, shoot RAW+JPEG but have wondered if that’s overkill if I’m importing everything to LR immediately anyway.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

waffle enthusiast posted:

Doesn’t Lightroom just apply whatever film sim you picked in-camera to the RAW?

I, too, shoot RAW+JPEG but have wondered if that’s overkill if I’m importing everything to LR immediately anyway.

It does, but as far as I can tell (I tried researching this awhile back and couldn’t find a definitive answer), it’s more of Adobe’s best guess at what the film sim is and not the actual thing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Capture One's film sims aren't exactly the same either as Fuji's jpeg camera processing, but I think it seems a lot closer than Adobe's take on it. It's close enough for me that I'm pretty happy editing with C1. I switched a year or so ago and I do not miss LR's sluggish everything at all.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

ha i tried that, but it made culling the bad photos even worse! maybe it'd be less obnoxious if i had lightroom but, i dont

Use two cards and have one for JPEGs and one for RAWs. That way you can just shove the whole RAW folder in deep storage and just cull the jpegs, and use that as a reference to go back and find the RAWs if you ever get the edit bug.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've been out of the photo shooting thing for awhile .. I come back and holy crap why is Fuji so hard to get and so expensive now?

Makes me wish I hoarded my stuff before.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

illcendiary posted:

It does, but as far as I can tell (I tried researching this awhile back and couldn’t find a definitive answer), it’s more of Adobe’s best guess at what the film sim is and not the actual thing.

Correct. There’s a tool Fuji provides called Fuji X Raw or something like that.

You connect your camera to your computer and you can re-post process your RAW files if you want to test different film simulations straight off the camera.

Anything that C2 or Lightroom are doing are just approximations. Often very good approximations, but they aren’t the same as what the camera is rendering.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've been out of the photo shooting thing for awhile .. I come back and holy crap why is Fuji so hard to get and so expensive now?

Makes me wish I hoarded my stuff before.

Most of Fuji's lineup has been discontinued as they're focusing on rolling out the new models (X-H2/S, XT-5, more TBA). Pretty sure the only 'old' model camera they have that hasn't had a hard stop on production is the X100V, but even that they still said they were 'temporarily ceasing' production on.

Also the hypebeasts have kind of glommed onto the brand. The X100V in particular (they're selling on ebay for literally 2x the price when new), but the XE-4 was also really popular too.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
There are approximately 1 billion X-T3s in used circulation right now if you want a great entry into Fujifilm.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Folks,

I'm thinking about a tripod for HDR photography/doing filter/landscape poo poo.

any recommendations? I just keep getting allegorically generated crap I can't trust with amazon links.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ifootage gazelle hits a sweet spot of features and price. I've been happy with mine for several years now.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Toalpaz posted:

Folks,

any recommendations? I just keep getting allegorically generated crap I can't trust with amazon links.

I recently got a good deal on a tripod just by surfing facebook marketplace, I'd take a look there if you haven't already.

This is the one I ended up getting: https://www.henrys.com/cameron-t210ph-tripod-with-pan-head/5637233158.p?color=Black

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Toalpaz posted:

Folks,

Expensive as gently caress but worth every cent to me: the Peak Design carbon tripod. Took this with it in Norway, among others.

It's also small and light so you'll actually take it somewhere.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rufius posted:

Correct. There’s a tool Fuji provides called Fuji X Raw or something like that.

You connect your camera to your computer and you can re-post process your RAW files if you want to test different film simulations straight off the camera.

Anything that C2 or Lightroom are doing are just approximations. Often very good approximations, but they aren’t the same as what the camera is rendering.

whats so special about the on camera simulations?

in theory, a 3D LUT should be able to do anything possible that a film simulation would need, except for grain, as far as it is possible, taking sensor information and turning it into a film approximation.

right?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nothing special exactly. They are just very good and allow people who don't enjoy post processing the option to skip some or all of it and still produce nice looking images.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe it's because Fuji make some really well regarded film and the theory is they're best equipped to make digital filters that recreate the look of those films.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

echinopsis posted:

whats so special about the on camera simulations?

in theory, a 3D LUT should be able to do anything possible that a film simulation would need, except for grain, as far as it is possible, taking sensor information and turning it into a film approximation.

right?

Yes, but to get identical performance you'd need an identical LUT. Which neither Capture One or Lightroom have. So there's always going to be something 'off' about doing it off-camera.

There's also some quirkiness with Fuji using X-Trans filters instead of Bayer like everyone else, but AFAIK even Lightroom is supposed to have that more or less controlled at this point?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I went thru the effort of trying to create a 3d lut into lightroom via the photoshop way but the resulting file is far too small to be a proper 3d lut, they ended up with banding and it was disappointing

Surely by now there are some good high quality 3d luts to buy that emulate film. not just presets

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I went thru the effort of trying to create a 3d lut into lightroom via the photoshop way but the resulting file is far too small to be a proper 3d lut, they ended up with banding and it was disappointing

Surely by now there are some good high quality 3d luts to buy that emulate film. not just presets

They're called Film Sims as a cutesy nod to Fuji being Fujifilm, not because they're an accurate replica of specific film stocks. Folks like them and talk about them so much because they're interesting color profiles that can give a fun look to your image with minimal effort on the user's part. Instead of shooting a batch of photos and then dumping them in Lightroom and spending another three hours tweaking them, you can just transfer the JPEGs straight off the card and upload them to wherever because they look nice.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I want to upgrade from my Fuji Xt-10. I tried an XH2 in a store and really loved the larger grip, but can't afford $2000 right now. The XT3 ticks most of the boxes for me at half the cost used, except the grip out of the box isn't great. How comparable is the XT3 with the MHG-XT3 grip to the feel of the XH2? Anyone here in the thread tried it, and the XH2?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got a Rebel T3 with some mighty lousy noise issues even at ISO 800. I primarily shoot landscapes, city skylines, and buildings. I'd like to go full-frame and be able to spend as minimal time in Lightroom as possible. 4k is a plus, tilting or articulated screen is a must. If my budget's $1500 for a kit or body + decent wide-angle zoom lens (everything secondhand/used) and I'm torn between a Nikon Z6, Panasonic S5, and Sony A7III, which should I go for? Anything would be an upgrade at this point, so I'm basically concerned with cost of entry for lens ecosystems. I'd assume Sony or Pana would be the better choice there since they've had more third party lenses for longer.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure there's gonna be more lens selection for L mount really, but they do have a wider kit zoom available with the S5 that you might like, it's 20-60 or something and seems like used kits with both run round $1200. Sony is who really have the big lens selection available from being around as mirrorless for so long. Of those, I would probably go for the Z6 were it me cause I like Nikon's handling and current lens lineup. The S5's biggest weakness is its contrast detect autofocus and I think Panasonic generally has less nice colors out of the box. It's got great video though. I do not personally like using Sony but many people do and it's got the best lens selection by a bit.

Edit: they're all good cameras though and have options that'd work for you; you might want to see if you can get your hands on em and see what you like.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Who makes decent ND filters?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

MJP posted:

I've got a Rebel T3 with some mighty lousy noise issues even at ISO 800. I primarily shoot landscapes, city skylines, and buildings. I'd like to go full-frame and be able to spend as minimal time in Lightroom as possible. 4k is a plus, tilting or articulated screen is a must. If my budget's $1500 for a kit or body + decent wide-angle zoom lens (everything secondhand/used) and I'm torn between a Nikon Z6, Panasonic S5, and Sony A7III, which should I go for? Anything would be an upgrade at this point, so I'm basically concerned with cost of entry for lens ecosystems. I'd assume Sony or Pana would be the better choice there since they've had more third party lenses for longer.

I know you want full frame, but consensus is that Fuji has the best out of camera jpgs. I rarely feel the need to jump into Lightroom that often anymore, the built in film simulations do a great job in most cases.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

I know you want full frame, but consensus is that Fuji has the best out of camera jpgs. I rarely feel the need to jump into Lightroom that often anymore, the built in film simulations do a great job in most cases.

How bad is the noise if I'm at 3200 ISO trying to get a pan shot of a car at night? My T3 experience has left me very, very gun-shy about anything that has risks of noise.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

big black turnout posted:

I don't have an ND but I've had really good luck with Hoya filters, plus they're occasionally on deep discount from Adriana/B&H

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the zeitgeist opinion on monopods with tripod legs? I have an aluminum tripod which is great for tossing into my car but lousy for traveling. It'd be nice to have light monopod weight with basic tripod stability, at least for not-heavy lenses.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

MJP posted:

How bad is the noise if I'm at 3200 ISO trying to get a pan shot of a car at night? My T3 experience has left me very, very gun-shy about anything that has risks of noise.
The T3 was the budget, stripped-down version of the 450D/XSi, which came out in 2008. ISO3200 shouldn't be a problem for any camera made within the last decade.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

MJP posted:

See for yourself

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison

Your old camera isn't on the list sadly but you might be able to find something from that era to compare with. Xt3, z6 and S5 are there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

frogbs posted:

I want to upgrade from my Fuji Xt-10. I tried an XH2 in a store and really loved the larger grip, but can't afford $2000 right now. The XT3 ticks most of the boxes for me at half the cost used, except the grip out of the box isn't great. How comparable is the XT3 with the MHG-XT3 grip to the feel of the XH2? Anyone here in the thread tried it, and the XH2?

I can't compare, but I have a Chinese knockoff of this thing on my XT4 and it's a huge improvement on the grip, I have no trouble holding onto the camera for hours. Still have a wrist strap out of caution but even with a big lens on it, feels fine in the hand.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hoya or Tiffen are the long time "go no lower" brands

B+W is one of the better ones

Marumi is a good option somewhere in the middle

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to go down the money is no object road, kase and nisi make good stuff. Breakthrough does good too but they seem to favor selling to cinematic types and I've seen supply issues for their photography oriented products. If you can get their stuff they're fine.

Magnet mounted filters are the current hotness that everyone's rushing to one-up each other on. They definitely are less fussy than traditional screw-in mounts but are still annoying. Using filters sucks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was daydreaming a bit about how it might be neat to try shooting anamorphic stills. A friend who's a pro photographer told me when I was drooling over anamorphic lenses I can't possibly afford, "just get filters they're cheaper." I didn't even know these were a thing, and I'm now curious how well they might work on my existing primes. Anyone have experience with these? If I connect an anamorphic lens or filter to my Z6, is there a setting I can change on the camera to de-squeeze the image and see it as it's meant to look in the viewfinder/screen?

Matter of fact, are any of the effect filters you see online worth a drat, or are they universally some gimmick bullshit?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just picked up an Olympus E-330 for a song and I have to say they were quite insane back in the early digital days.

That diagram doesn't even show the sub mirror for the AF module. Just mirrors and prisms everywhere.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

It's from 2017 so it's probably all changed:
https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2017/07/nd-filters/