Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Name: Hector
Class: Protector
Backstory: A gung-ho, uncouth, almost aggressive guard who forgets his job is to protect and ends up eating hits mostly just because he keeps trying to take all the glory.
Portrait: 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like what you've got going, so I say keep it up for as long as you're comfortable. My wife offers her approvals as well. Honestly, I acted out your last update for her benefit because it amused me, and she was amused in turn.

e: If you're curious, my Hector reference was to Fire Emblem 7 - the Blazing Sword, while Alvis is an NPC from Fire Emblem 4 - Legend of the Holy War (though that guy used fire more than lightning).

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 23, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My favorite is that the farming class in EO3 is literally called "Farmer." They have crap combat ability and actually have a skill the provides bonus experience to the party if they survive combat. So you can use them to farm levels as well as loot. And they can instantly teleport back to town without using an item.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Agreed. That would be very nice.

This thread has got me back into caring about the series. I've only ever owned EO3 and played it in collaboration with my wife, but because of how we were playing, I would sometimes advance the plot without meaning too, to her derision ("I wanted to do it!" sort of thing) and otherwise I would be kind of in the dark about what was happening. I mostly was trying to make a strong team and make money, while she wanted to draw the maps and see the events.

In the end, we shelved it and haven't gone back. But now I'm watching EO4 and have learned of its "casual mode," which sounds like it'll leave the difficulty otherwise intact and just remove the possiblity of losing levels, key items, etc. That sounds like something I can handle.

Also, the character art seems to have a bit more effort put into it, as there's more variation in size, posture and costuming between the four option than before. A little more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think if you can figure out how to crop the map so it won't come up all the time, that's a great start.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Gotta say I loved this update. You're style's improving, I think. The characters definitely seem to be getting more personality--Richter flagellating himself for being undead was fantastic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That's a niggling problem I have with the series, really. There are always combos that make the game wildly easier, if not trivial in some instances. Problem is that those combos usually aren't with classes I want to play. I want to play with the classes I find cool or most fun, and that doesn't always lend itself to a party worth using. This just winds up discouraging me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Good stuff, 100percent. I love how frustrated everyone is about the red tape. I would be too! I think that's a fault of the game's general design--the only places they can really send you are the dungeon and the town, so if they want to quest variety they are fundamentally limited. Which makes me think: Were there parts of EO3 where you'd be in the dungeon and they'd tell you to go to one of the places on the ocean map? I don't remember any.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Looking forward to it!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Aaaawwww hell. I love this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Anyone else have the problem with games like this where you have more concepts for characters than you have time to grind? I think I actually hit the character limit on EO3 before I even hit the 3rd Strata.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Knowing that you can imagine my surprise when I finally meet Fenrir and find he's some sort of saber toothed white bengal tiger.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know Loki mothered Odin's horse. Not sure about the others.

I thought Hel was the queen of Niflheim. She's Loki's kid too?

It sounds like Loki spent more time having babies with male creatures then the other norse gods spent having any kids at all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm still enjoying the updates, 100%. In fact I'd go so far as to say is the only bad thing is the bits where you ask if it sucks. No need for self-deprecation; you're doing fine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I feel like voting for Hector, Dietrich, Jill, Alex and Serasmus. Hector should probably get to know the newest member of the guild now that she's been helping herself to the coffers. And I like what you've done with Hector, so yay for more of him!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The thread posted:

Programming chat

Yeah, stuff like that is why I decided programming was not for me. I still managed to get a computer science degree and even went to a few job interviews but I just don't have the temperment to keep it all straight and always miss something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm glad to see this keeping up, too. Sorry things have been hard.

Since you're making a story to go with the gameplay, I thought the announcement of New Etrian Odyssey: Millenium Maiden would be interesting, because that seems to be its main gimmick: Taking the original game and playing it again with a story and characters that have preset names and personalities, with class switching instead of creating new characters from scratch. I'm kind of curious how it'll work, or it'll resemble in any way the kinds of stories we've made up in our imaginations and threads like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I really liked this update. Puns are beautiful.

• Locked thread