Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You crazy, crazy motherfucker. Why in god's name would you leave anything up to Goons in this game? Go with LP Style A if you value your sanity in any way, or B for maximum schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lazy Programming posted:

Name: Keyser
Class: Troubadour
Backstory: Every thing he says is either a poem, a reference to literature, or in iambic pentameter.
Portrait: 3

Have fun.

You missed the opportunity to call him Bastian. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HelloWinter posted:

That is truly badass, I like this game already.

Good work on the LP by the way, 100%jesusfree. I love the extra commentary.

Oh, you like it now. Just wait until the real game starts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

100percentjesusfree posted:

Also, I noticed I'd kind of made Hector's mugshot slightly bigger than everyone else - while there's probably a joke about him having a big head in there somewhere, would people prefer if I just leave it, inflate the other mugshots to match his, or deflate his to match theirs?

Considering what Hector thought of himself and his fighting ability in FE7, I'd say it's justified. Speaking of though, I've got someone for a B-team of sorts, if you still want to take characters.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Certainly! I think you can have up to 16 characters overall, and there are currently 6. I'll be doing the survivalist 'exploit' so that the early game isn't utterly terrible (Which I will show off in a little bit), which would bring the total down to 11, though I could always just delete the survivalists once their job is done, if this winds up popular enough that I run out of character slots.

Who knows, I'm kind of playing this by ear... anyway, this is a long winded way of saying 'sure, please, go ahead!'

Oh cool. Anyway, since Hector is on our useful people team, we should have another Fire Emblem party member - Roy the Landsknecht (Portrait 3). He uses swords, and everyone says he's really good and strong, but he's actually really mediocre, and while he tries his best, he's just a letdown to everyone. For maximum in-character-ness, either purposefully dole out his Skill Points poorly, or always keep a couple on hand, but never invest them.

You don't have to use him much (hell, at all, just have him show up when the guild comes back to town), but maybe he could lead the team of survivalists or something?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

I should probably mention that new character proposed now might take a while to see light - I'd like to keep some slots free for ronins/hexers when they open up, for one thing, and grinding at the start of this game is painfully slow. I'll probably be more inclined towards making newer characters when I can just have a party babysit a level one character in an overlevelled area for a bit offscreen.

That's okay, it's just like the real Roy! :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Crassus posted:

Either you haven't played this game, or you are a really evil person. Etrian Oddisey is hard enough without handicapping yourself.

Oh I have, believe me (well not this one specifically, but I played 2 and 3). That's why I included the part about not actually having to use him unless he really wants to.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I like the longer updates, but go with whatever makes sense. If you've got the material for a longer update, do it, and if not go with a shorter one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, you're going to want to crop off the bottom screen for animations. What program did you use to make the gifs? There has to be a cropping option somewhere.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Anyway, I'm using VirtualDub, which can indeed crop things -

(I... think it came out bigger cropped. Huh.)

That it did, which definitely shouldn't be happening. To be honest, I've never used VirtualDub to make gifs, but my guess is that it's not optimizing it very well. Try using another program and optimize it, maybe?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I opened up one of them in GIF Movie Gear to play around with it, and it looks like you're not doing any transparency when you optimize. I optimized it on my end and literally dropped the file size in half by doing so. Timing looks a little fast, but I didn't really care about that since I was just playing around with file size, it's easily fixable.

E: Okay, looking at the original again, there is transparency, so it's not that. Might be a reduction in colors? Someone who actually knows their poo poo about images would have to explain why. As far as I can tell, I have the same number of frames, same number of colors, we're both using transparency, but mine is 478k compared to yours being 900k.

Artix fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 28, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Raitzeno posted:

>= instead of > or some such. Gotta love it.

Look on the bright side! The dude next to me in high school got "Error: Too Many Errors" in our first C++ course. TWICE.

:stare: I've written some buggy poo poo, but I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
302 MB is loving massive for a minute of footage with Lagarinth. Are you sure you're not recording uncompressed by accident? Even then I wouldn't expect it to be that big.

E: I stand corrected, I guess I'm just used to recording at the GBA's tiny 240x160. 34 seconds of FE12's intro (both screens) came out to 220 MB. :psyduck:

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
What do you want this video for, anyway? You want to use Lagarinth for the actual recording, do all your edits or whatever, and do a lossy encode to upload to youtube, etc. Or if you're just trying to get a gif or whatever, just use the lossless footage and then delete it afterwards.

• Locked thread