Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yesssssssssssssssssss, first chest clear.

No achievement or secret though. :suicide:

Oh well, I just wanted to see the place, got lucky as I found the stupid polaroid in the cathedral of all places, that drat fortune telling machine kept exploding to fast, gave me the crystal ball on 3 separate occassions.

Also that cyclops powerup and brimstone are insane, it takes forever to charge but when you everything just melts, one shotted daddy long legs, 2 shotted mom, 3 shotted mom's heart.

Isaac and ??? took like 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
Finally completed my first Cathedral run, with Cain. The only big thing I dislike about the expansion is that I seem to come across a lot more rooms where my character just doesn't respond to my movement controls and slides all over the room like a hockey puck. The rooms with those skulls full of flies and the green bomb-shooting guys in particular.

My items were pretty cool, nothing over the top though. I got the Mutant Spider (quad-shot) on the first floor, then a slew of tear and shot-speed increases. I was like a walking shotgun, even more so when my Harlequin Baby actually decided to be a Harlequin Baby and not a Brother Bobby. Only had five hearts though, and nearly died to the angel fetuses that Isaac spawns once he was dead. Their random psychic tears are horrible.

Probably the only 'difficult' thing I've done in the expansion, bar a couple of the ridiculous challenges (Doctor Fetus, Lord of the Flies).

Paperio
Mar 1, 2012
Just beat The Chest with Eve. Got Epic Fetus early on so it was a breeze, but right afterwards the item rooms contains stuff like Mutant Spider and Polyphemus, neither of which can override it.

One thing that irks me about it is that The Chest is only available through the Cathedral. Has anyone tested having the Polaroid on the Sheol chest?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Yesssssss! :black101:

Finally, finally beat Isaac with ???. I have no idea why that took so many tries. It turns out Mom's Contact makes that fight absurdly easy, because he doesn't even fire counter-tears while he's frozen. Also, Guppy's Tail+Safety Cap is a good combination for ???, because you're going to have Balls of Steel appearing all over the place.

I also unlocked Tri-Achnid that run, so that's going to be fun.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Just got a bug where the game said I was fighting War, then Conquest showed up instead. Nearly killed me and wiped out a good run, and when the item spawns it's a cube of meat instead of a White Pony. Fix your loving game, Ed

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Welp.

Just had a run shut down by a room in the Chest with two Carrion Queens.

I killed one, and the other magically teleported to me. And was then invulnerable. Neither shooting it's tail nor feeding it bombs did anything.

drat, that run had promise, too...

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

:argh:
Found the D6 as ??? and decide to reroll the Poop, first time I get the Razor, so I go clear some rooms to reroll it again and get Kamikaze.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I found a "the moon" card in the room before the final boss. It was my first chest run. I use it, and was trapped in a secret room. That door up there does not work. I am gonna have a conniption.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

pw pw pw posted:

I found a "the moon" card in the room before the final boss. It was my first chest run. I use it, and was trapped in a secret room. That door up there does not work. I am gonna have a conniption.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. First Chest run and everything. Mine is even better, though! I was playing as ???! :shepicide:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone run up to McMillen and blindside him with a giant dildo or something?

gently caress's sake, what the hell was he thinking. This is not hardcore, this is not challenging, this is not difficult! This is tedium given form! I just had a fuckin' fairy tale Samson run. But oops, I can't get the achievement and beat the actual final boss because the four loving Fortune Tellers I ran across didn't drop the one rare item I needed! Nor did Bum Friend, despite me letting all the Greeds on the Cathedral sap me of my cash in a last-ditch attempt to spawn the right trinket.

The title of a thread has never been so appropriate!

I'm giving up the attempts for the day. Too much frustration, abso-loving-lutely zero fun. That's what this has turned into. Two characters left and I've run into the wall that the cheaters hit at the start. This is a fight where the winner holds his breath until he turns the bluest.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
When the invincibility bug still worked it took what felt like 5 minutes of space bar mashing to get my IV bag/Bum Friend combo to drop the Polaroid.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea the secret rooms in the chest are bugged, I found one with the spelunker hat and couldn't blow up the wall to get into it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Considering none of the Chest rewards are required for "100%" completion (I don't think), Ed clearly considers it to be a super-ultra-bonus secret that's supposed to happen by happy accident during certain runs. Basically, I think it's exactly as hard to get to as he intended.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

pw pw pw posted:

I feel for you. After my first ??? kill, before touching the final chest to win the game, I popped the unknown pills I had. Telepills, into that room, no bombs. The achievement unlocks after killing the boss so after I restart I was good, but oh God I was close to being really mad at video games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rocketlex posted:

Considering none of the Chest rewards are required for "100%" completion (I don't think), Ed clearly considers it to be a super-ultra-bonus secret that's supposed to happen by happy accident during certain runs. Basically, I think it's exactly as hard to get to as he intended.

No you need them, you need all the secrets for Platinum god now and they all count torwards it. I'm sitting at 96/97 right now, gently caress knows what I'm missing though because the games a broken pile of poo poo at the moment.

Also just use cheat engine to give yourself the polaroid or make the chest open at all times. Really there's no reason not to as it's just not fun to get hosed over like that.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Can someone run up to McMillen and blindside him with a giant dildo or something?

gently caress's sake, what the hell was he thinking. This is not hardcore, this is not challenging, this is not difficult! This is tedium given form! I just had a fuckin' fairy tale Samson run. But oops, I can't get the achievement and beat the actual final boss because the four loving Fortune Tellers I ran across didn't drop the one rare item I needed! Nor did Bum Friend, despite me letting all the Greeds on the Cathedral sap me of my cash in a last-ditch attempt to spawn the right trinket.

The title of a thread has never been so appropriate!

I'm giving up the attempts for the day. Too much frustration, abso-loving-lutely zero fun. That's what this has turned into. Two characters left and I've run into the wall that the cheaters hit at the start. This is a fight where the winner holds his breath until he turns the bluest.
I'm going to give you a piece of advice. You don't have to 100% every game you own. If something is not fun, stop playing.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

GuavaMoment posted:

I feel for you. After my first ??? kill, before touching the final chest to win the game, I popped the unknown pills I had. Telepills, into that room, no bombs. The achievement unlocks after killing the boss so after I restart I was good, but oh God I was close to being really mad at video games.

That's another good reason to have Cheat Engine. If you get yourself irrevocably trapped, you can give yourself a tarot card to warp out of there.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No you need them, you need all the secrets for Platinum god now and they all count torwards it. I'm sitting at 96/97 right now, gently caress knows what I'm missing though because the games a broken pile of poo poo at the moment.

Also just use cheat engine to give yourself the polaroid or make the chest open at all times. Really there's no reason not to as it's just not fun to get hosed over like that.

I listed all the WotL secrets a page or so back, go read and compare.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Crotch Bat posted:

I listed all the WotL secrets a page or so back, go read and compare.

I've got everything on that list though. Or I'm assuming anyway, I'm standing at every achievement in steam minus platinum god, and I fought Triachnid awhile ago so can't really be that.

I have the bug where the last thing on secrets is showing is A gift from Krampus and Samson, everything else just updates the number, but not the actual list so just gotta wing it really.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've got everything on that list though. Or I'm assuming anyway, I'm standing at every achievement in steam minus platinum god, and I fought Triachnid awhile ago so can't really be that.

I have the bug where the last thing on secrets is showing is A gift from Krampus and Samson, everything else just updates the number, but not the actual list so just gotta wing it really.

Ultra-Pride?

Were you 100% before WotL? The overwhelming majority of WotL secrets are also Steam achievements(whereas the original had a bunch of secrets that didn't get an achievement) so if you feel confident you have all the latest ones, go back and make sure you didn't miss one of the originals.

Also, did you fight Triachnid back when he was the wonky alternate boss in the Cathedral? Killing him is not what gets you the secret. You need to beat Womb2 15 times to unlock the "Something Icky" secret.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A jargogle posted:

I'm going to give you a piece of advice. You don't have to 100% every game you own. If something is not fun, stop playing.

There's all of two achievements left. My OCD would never let me walk away at this point. I'm in for the long haul. All I'm asking is to be able to beat the game with skill rather than depending on luck. And, y'know, to be able to sit and enjoy the game rather than be frustrated at a stupid loving mechanic. :v:

Checking McMillen's formspring, someone asked: Would it be possible to guarantee that one hidden room per run would just contain a Polaroid? Quite a few people aren't fans of the final stage being gated off by luck, esp. when each completion of said stage actually decreases the odds of getting back...

And he replied: there will be a slight fix to this coming in the next (last) content update that will address this in a way people should enjoy. hold tight.

Now what the hell could that possibly mean? Maybe once you open The Chest once, it stays that way? Maybe once per character which, while not great, still means you'd be able to get there in subsequent runs without having to grab the photo? Maybe it'll actually be a guaranteed drop in one room per run like the poster asked about. Probably the dark room, if that's the case.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Crotch Bat posted:

Ultra-Pride?

Were you 100% before WotL? The overwhelming majority of WotL secrets are also Steam achievements(whereas the original had a bunch of secrets that didn't get an achievement) so if you feel confident you have all the latest ones, go back and make sure you didn't miss one of the originals.

Also, did you fight Triachnid back when he was the wonky alternate boss in the Cathedral? Killing him is not what gets you the secret. You need to beat Womb2 15 times to unlock the "Something Icky" secret.

Nah fought him yesterday in the Womb. And yeah before WotL I had every single achievement, and fought ultra pride twice (it's my latest steam achievement actually)

Double checked everything and it's just kind of baffling to me.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
A word to the wise: Challenges 5-8 do NOT register as complete if you skip Mom's Heart with the shovel.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
For some reason, when I use CCleaner now, it keeps reverting BoI back to a state where I had 93/97 secrets completed (I'm currently at 96/97). The first time it happened, I had to redo the Chest with ???, Samson, and Judas. Luckily, after I redid everything, I made a backup of the serial.txt and sol.so files.

I was always used to CCleaner reverting BoI back to its default settings (quality/size/resolution/sound settings), but it always kept my progress (secrets/collection/challenges). Is this a bug with the newest 1.333 patch?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
You just can't get through non-door exits in the chest at all. How do I know?

One of my first 4 chest item drops was X-ray Specs :( I humped that bombed doorway looking thing each time I went through the rooms connecting to it.

SMexicandoanything
Oct 29, 2010
What is the current status on the exact mechanics of Bloodlust? Last I heard it activated each kill, but capped out after 4 boosts and didn't stack with your damage.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Not sure on that, but I have noticed in my recent runs with Samson that Bloodlust has been buffed in an interesting way.

Initially when WotL came out, Bloodlust had weird rules about what kinds of kills it would "accept." Basically the enemy had to die by your own tears or it wouldn't count...except sometimes familiars would count I guess. It was strange and inconsistent.

However, now it seems like any enemy dying for any reason feeds into Bloodlust. I've had my Bloodlust max out immediately upon entering a room because a bunch of Mulligans killed themselves in fire. Bosses killing their own minions, enemies walking over spikes, it all triggers Bloodlust now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It seems like a lot of people are clearing The Chest with Eve in this thread, huh.

I lucked out with Polyphemus + Sacred Heart + Little Gish + A Pony (for flight) and Cancer up until the end of The Womb (when the Polaroid dropped). I had giant white homing balls of death with slowdown and a decent firing rate, and Little Gish's slowdown effect made the first two phases of the Isaac/??? fights super easy just standing and dodging against a far wall.

E: Also right now cheating to get the polaroid on every run seems super cheap, but at the same time I feel like when I'm doing ??? or Samson Chest runs I'm going to be really tempted.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 24, 2012

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dark Grapefruit posted:

A word to the wise: Challenges 5-8 do NOT register as complete if you skip Mom's Heart with the shovel.

Mom's Heart is an easy fight. Why would you skip it?

Normal Mom though... never seems to be a clean fight.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 24, 2012

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008
Does Cain's Eye do anything if you are playing as him?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
loving loving gently caress.

I was having an AWESOME Maggie run and then I got to the necropolis and had over 10 rooms spawn with Masks of Evil and it completely hosed me.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
Well, apparently Brimstone + Polyphemus is insane. It takes forever to charge but I was one hitting bosses.

I had it with guppy's head and the nun's hat (habit) - anything that didn't die instantly to brimstone would die to the flies. Pretty good combo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

loving loving gently caress.

I was having an AWESOME Maggie run and then I got to the necropolis and had over 10 rooms spawn with Masks of Evil and it completely hosed me.

Mask of Infamy is so annoying if you can't stun it or pierce it. :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I finally got to the Cathedral with the Polaroid. I didn't have the best setup but I had spent my entire run throwing away pennies at Fortune Tellers praying for the item I so desired. I was ready. Isaac fell to me in a little over a minute. It was a bloody, horrible battle on both ends, and I barely managed to survive. Victory was mine, and I was ready to go to The Chest and finally see it for myself.

Then just as he flew away one of his crack the sky beams spawned in right on top of me and took away my last heart.

EDMUUUUUUUUUUND :negative:

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Has anyone had the secret for Conquest unlock for them or know what it requires? I don't have it, but he will occasionally show up in place of War. The wiki seems to think the unlock for him is bugged.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The unlock for Conquest is beating Mom with Samson. The unlock that's shown is Bloody Lust but that's obviously wrong, as that item doesn't need to be unlocked.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The unlock for Conquest is beating Mom with Samson. The unlock that's shown is Bloody Lust but that's obviously wrong, as that item doesn't need to be unlocked.

I've fought Conquest a few times and I've never played as Samson. So it could be something else or, more than likely, a bug.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I've had Conquest show up a few times. Once as the boss of Basement 1 but usually in the Depths/Womb. He's a pretty nasty surprise because the hitbox for his 'crack the sky' seems really wonky.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Good lord some of these room layouts. If you walk into a room with eight hopping spider heads and a bunch of holes, and you've only got one heart left, you may as well just hit Escape and quit right there. Some of these rooms are just totally loving unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Fairly sure Bloody Lust is actually bugged to show up before you unlock it. I'm not sure what Conquest's unlock is.

And yeah, the War/Conquest thing is a bug. He's supposed to drop a White Pony when you kill him, but if you got the War splash screen he drops a cube of meat instead.

• Locked thread