Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I'm not going to lie, I would re-buy BoI if it meant that they do it in a language that doesn't suck.

Edit:

Monstro II deep breaths more.

I haven't seen him much recently, so I'm unsure what you mean. Does that mean he just sits there huffing and puffing? Or constantly firing his beam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's a WoW joke, don't mind me.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm not going to lie, I would re-buy BoI if it meant that they do it in a language that doesn't suck.

I would too, especially if mods got any form of support or were at least easy for creative folks to do - magical stuff would happen. :swoon:

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Sometimes I wish the game could recognize stats

I just lost an awesome Judas run because I couldn't out run the fallen

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess I missed goatse on my many playthroughs, could someone post a screenshot?

Also I finally beat Mom. Made deals for Brimstone, the Mark, and something else I don't remember. Ended up with one actual heart and several soul hearts thanks to The Heirophant card I kept getting from my Tarot Deck. After the battle was over my soul hearts had been destroyed, holy poo poo that was an intense fight.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SporkTSI posted:

I guess I missed goatse on my many playthroughs, could someone post a screenshot?

Supposedly that's Gluttony, or those little headless Glutton...ies.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hey, you know what really helps an Eve run? The Book of Revelations, 9 Volt, the Battery and the Habit. :stare:

When I was in rooms where enemies could only deal half a heart of damage all I had to do was use the Book(2 blocks from 9 V), get hit(3 blocks from Habit) and wait a few seconds(1 block from Battery) and I could essentially farm soul hearts forever. Once I lucked into a Devil Beggar to take me down to half a heart it pretty much guaranteed the run's success.

Is anyone else noticing that they see those item recharge items more? I've had 5 runs in the last 2 days and I swear the Battery/Habit combo has been in 4 of them and really early on, too.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

SporkTSI posted:

Someone already mentioned it, but it's these guys and Gluttony/Super Gluttony as well.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Just your particular luck with the RNG, in my 155 deaths and 55 mom kills I've NEVER had the habit and any other recharge item at the same time. Just one or the other.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I'd like to know is what system is in place that decides the items that will appear.

Take transcendence, 88 mom kills, I've seen it once. Tons of replay as Isaac, flipping items with the D6, no transcendence.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ending 13 question:

Does Ending 13 imply that Isaac killed his sister, driving his father away, but at the end his mom forgives him?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Alteisen posted:

One thing I'd like to know is what system is in place that decides the items that will appear.

Take transcendence, 88 mom kills, I've seen it once. Tons of replay as Isaac, flipping items with the D6, no transcendence.

I've only seen transcendence in secret rooms.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Alteisen posted:

FrickenMoron posted:

I've only seen transcendence in secret rooms.

Virtually impossible to see in item room. That's a secret room or I AM ERROR room item(especially the latter, I've seen it there a ton).

Most items that grant flying are not found through normal means.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Most of the issues are just due to it being poorly coded in general, and the performance is crap because rather than use sprites, the game uses scaled vector art, which is an astonishing CPU hog. Most games I've played using the Flixel flash game engine run at 60fps solid, and Intrusion 2 is capped at 30fps, but it maintains that solidly despite some seriously impressive physics-based animation.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alteisen posted:

The way I understand it every item is placed into a "pool" -- Devil Room, Item Room, Secret Room, Boss Reward, etc. and some items have multiple copies placed in a pool which gives them a higher frequency of appearance. Once you've encountered an item, whether you've picked it up or not, it won't show up again -- this includes items you roll into other items with the D6. If you completely exhaust a pool of items, like you've seen every single Devil Room or Angel Room item, I think it'll start picking items from all the other pools at random to show up there. So I guess by this logic it's possible to see something like Transendence in an item room if you've already seen every item room-unique item available but it's still incredibly unlikely.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

http://4ms.me/MAIiNa

So apparently you need to unlock all the secrets for platinum as well. Which seems kind of poo poo since I'm missing 4 of them, which as far as I know is a bug since I've done everything there is to do. And when checking out the list of secrets that I do have, none of the WotL stuff shows up at all, so I can't even figure out which 4 it didn't give me. Fix your loving game, Ed!

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Ok what the hell Ed. 8 rooms to Satan in Sheol and they're ALL The Fallen? If I'm not fast enough with Ipecac at the start, it's a really long fight trying to get the timing right.

Did manage to kill Satan going in with 2 and a half hearts surprisingly. First Satan kill with Judas! :toot:

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Dodecalypse posted:

Ok what the hell Ed. 8 rooms to Satan in Sheol and they're ALL The Fallen? If I'm not fast enough with Ipecac at the start, it's a really long fight trying to get the timing right.
Couldn't you just bomb the doors with Ipecac instead of fighting them?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dodecalypse posted:

Did manage to kill Satan going in with 2 and a half hearts surprisingly. First Satan kill with Judas! :toot:

I remember back in the good old days when Satan was considered a harder boss. The cathedral and hidden finale boss are definately rougher in the sense that you pretty much have to be able to overpower them. They poo poo attacks all over the place so much (homing purple balls can go right ahead and gently caress off) that it just seems like you have a timer to kill them based on your durability and random chance.

Satan I can beat even with poo poo gear.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Wave posted:

Ending 13 question:

Does Ending 13 imply that Isaac killed his sister, driving his father away, but at the end his mom forgives him?

There's one rather elaborate theory that I've seen an image off.

It suggests that Isaac did have a sister(Maggy) and she died cancer, hence why you can find an item called cancer in the game, also when you unlock maggy you get maggy's wig as the item, there's also an item called sister maggy in the game.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for making a new thread, I wasn't inactive but somewhat busy and didn't have time to update it for all the new content. I only play occasionally these days too.
e: also I don't have PMs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/HVSBb.png

The imagine that attempts to discuss the new ending and endings in general, long and spergy, also direct linked because there's lots of spoilers in there.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

http://i.imgur.com/HVSBb.png

The imagine that attempts to discuss the new ending and endings in general, long and spergy, also direct linked because there's lots of spoilers in there.

Interesting, but they have the pictures out of order: in particular Isaac's mother brandishes the knife before his father leaves, and as he leaves Isaac stands with his mother, it sort of gives a "mom protecting Isaac". Most of the other points make sense with a little bit of stretching. Is Isaac feeling guilty for driving off his father and killing his sister?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Underwhelmed posted:

Interesting, but they have the pictures out of order: in particular Isaac's mother brandishes the knife before his father leaves, and as he leaves Isaac stands with his mother, it sort of gives a "mom protecting Isaac". Most of the other points make sense with a little bit of stretching. Is Isaac feeling guilty for driving off his father and killing his sister?

Well, we don't know for sure if the pictures are shown in a chronological order either.

Daynab posted:

Thanks for making a new thread, I wasn't inactive but somewhat busy and didn't have time to update it for all the new content. I only play occasionally these days too.
e: also I don't have PMs.

No problem, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. I would have asked if you had PMs. Since your last post was awhile ago in the old thread, I didn't know if you were still checking it or not.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 22, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alteisen posted:

There's one rather elaborate theory that I've seen an image off.

It suggests that Isaac did have a sister(Maggy) and she died cancer, hence why you can find an item called cancer in the game, also when you unlock maggy you get maggy's wig as the item, there's also an item called sister maggy in the game.

That stuff with the wig actually makes a ton of sense wow

edit: Also the final ending seemed kind of "happy" to me, honestly? That very last polaroid? It was kind of refreshing after everything else in this game

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I think it's way more "Ed is trolling the playerbase". Though, that'll be more confirmed if Ed's recent "it's done" on formspring means no more updates instead of just no more content updates.

Seriously, I think Ed's reliance on Flash for all his programming is crippling him more than just having two people working on his games. Even if a non-flash game is as cripplingly buggy as WotL is, at least it doesn't take a top-of-the-line system to run at half-speed. Didn't Super Meat Boy use vector art instead of sprites, too? I do know he tried to play off SMB as being in something other than Flash for a while, but...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
My PC hasn't been switched on for the last 3 or 4 days. Is there an easy way to stop Steam/BoI from contacting the Internet and updating if I want to abuse the older version invul glitches? I'd like to use the Internet at the same time with other apps though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I believe last thread it was mentioned the only foolproof way to avoid updates to games in Steam is to run Steam in offline mode; just telling it not to auto-update doesn't cut it by itself since it updates when you run the game in question instead. You could probably be okay if you aren't running Steam at all or tell Steam not to auto-update and play other games, though.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Seriously, I think Ed's reliance on Flash for all his programming is crippling him more than just having two people working on his games. Even if a non-flash game is as cripplingly buggy as WotL is, at least it doesn't take a top-of-the-line system to run at half-speed. Didn't Super Meat Boy use vector art instead of sprites, too? I do know he tried to play off SMB as being in something other than Flash for a while, but...

I thought that Ed just does the artwork/storyboarding for the game, and the programming was done by the other guy, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Just got down to the Womb without a single damage increase. Having 99 keys and close to 99 coins didn't even help since there was nothing to buy and nothing good in secret rooms. This really, really sucked. Without Harlequin Baby and Little Steven it would have sucked more, but then I got Death as the Womb 1 boss and it was all over.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Christ! :byodood:

What a loving time this was! So... I get the Polaroid on the Depths XL, which was cool. Managed to get the D6 on Basement 2, and I scored a Purse reroll in the store there. Toted the Penny with me so I'd be able to pop all the chests once I hit the last level. On Utero 2, I spent most of the level going back and forth to the secret room to reroll it until Transcendence popped.

I get to Isaac and it was not a pleasant fight. I had Polyphemos and a couple damage upgrades. Eve was doing alright for herself! But man, Isaac was summon-happy and those one-eyed shots don't fire very fast. I beat him, but I had 2 hearts left.

Jump into the Chest, get a whole mess of absolute poo poo, saving the Book of Shadows. But I roll with it and search for the dead kid. Of course I went in every wrong direction first. The Book had a battery recharging it and I still wasn't holding on very well. The Relic wasn't spitting them fast enough to keep me up, nor was Little Chad.

After literally exploring every room, I return to the starting area and decide to gamble. I pick the D6 back up and reroll the Book and the Deck of Cards. I get Tech 2 and... something else. So I think poo poo, I'm gonna die instantly with this loving thing. But I would've never survived phase 3 anyway.

...I then proceeded to no-hit the fight. It told me ???'s Soul was loose in the basement and when I restarted, Judas' Tongue achievement popped. :v: First time both of them were wrong for the character I won with. But holy Christ, man. Tech 2 + Polyphemos? Crazy damage, as it turns out! I went in expecting to lose, saw how much damage I did, and actually pulled out a miracle win. Phase 3 hit and the angel fetuses were dropping a second after appearing.

Eat it, McMillen, I'm stomping your dumb challenge in! ...Despite Peeper there causing ??? to Death Blossom at me any time it sauntered through him.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What exactly are the types of items that go in the upper left of the screen like the Flat Penny and that skull? Are those the curse items? All I know is they started appearing with the expansion and I don't know what they do at all. I'm assuming passive bonuses both positive and negative.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

FPzero posted:

What exactly are the types of items that go in the upper left of the screen like the Flat Penny and that skull? Are those the curse items? All I know is they started appearing with the expansion and I don't know what they do at all. I'm assuming passive bonuses both positive and negative.

No, for the most part, they are all helpful. Some are less useful than others but they aren't negative. I would say don't get the crystal skull with ??? or the tick if you're trying to legit get to the secret ending. The coin items are the best of them.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

FPzero posted:

Trinkets. Similar to collectible items, but you can only have one at a time (Unless you have Mom's Purse) and have to switch them out. You can find out what they do here" http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Trinkets. Keep in mind that the Tick one can't be removed once you pick it up.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

I thought that Ed just does the artwork/storyboarding for the game, and the programming was done by the other guy, whose name escapes me at the moment.

That was the way it was for Meat Boy, but Ed did the programming for Isaac.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Huzzah! posted:

No, for the most part, they are all helpful. Some are less useful than others but they aren't negative. I would say don't get the crystal skull with ??? or the tick if you're trying to legit get to the secret ending. The coin items are the best of them.

???'s soul is the best one :colbert:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Vargs posted:

http://4ms.me/MAIiNa

So apparently you need to unlock all the secrets for platinum as well. Which seems kind of poo poo since I'm missing 4 of them, which as far as I know is a bug since I've done everything there is to do. And when checking out the list of secrets that I do have, none of the WotL stuff shows up at all, so I can't even figure out which 4 it didn't give me. Fix your loving game, Ed!

Here's all the secrets I have after Golden God. I'm 96/97 on secrets and the last one is simply ???'s Chest run.

WotL:

- Mega Fetus
- Samson Unlocked
- Abel
- Super Fan
- Spider Butt
- Burnt Penny
- Lucky Toe
- Blood Lust
- Bloody Penny
- Curved Horn
- Crucifix
- Rainbow Baby
- Blood Rights
- D20
- Polaroid
- Sacrificial Knife
- Candle
- Guppy's Tail
- Fish Head
- Counterfeit Coin
- Guppy's Hairball
- Dad's Key
- Egg Sack
- Something Icky

1.3 ones
- Isaac's Head
- Maggy's Faith
- Cain's Eye
- Judas' Tongue
- ???'s Soul
- Samson's Lock
- Eve's Bird Foot
- Left Hand

- Plat God

There were 64 BoI original secrets(counting Krampus and the Halloween content). There are 24 WotL original secrets, 8 additional ones in 1.3 and Plat God for a total of 33 WotL secrets and 97 overall.

If you are missing any original secrets go to http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Secrets for the list.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Welp, I just discovered The Bloat. "Oh finally, something new." Not even five seconds later: "OH GOD gently caress EVERYTHING WHY"

Thankfully it didn't end my Lord of the Flies run or I would have been pissed.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Color Printer posted:

Welp, I just discovered The Bloat. "Oh finally, something new." Not even five seconds later: "OH GOD gently caress EVERYTHING WHY"

Thankfully it didn't end my Lord of the Flies run or I would have been pissed.

I don't know why Ed made The Bloat so much harder than any of the other bosses on that level. Honestly, he wouldn't be that bad at all if he telegraphed his laser attack more clearly. He has the same problem as Krampus where his laser attack gives you an unreasonably short amount of time to react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thing with The Bloat is, he can't do a god drat thing to you if you stand above him. Can't fire his twin lasers upwards! Be patient and wait for him to jump down so you can get above him, then unload on the bastard. All you have to watch out for then are his gooey eyes and the occasional jump that shoots bullets out.

• Locked thread