Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Can you even get 'And ate them' anymore? Every time I see tht one, it's just Puberty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
You just can't get through non-door exits in the chest at all. How do I know?

One of my first 4 chest item drops was X-ray Specs :( I humped that bombed doorway looking thing each time I went through the rooms connecting to it.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
You just get 9 total, and if you lose any before picking up a second Guppy you go back up to 9.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Xaiter posted:

EDIT: I got to the cathedral. Then started to farm items in the Secret Room. Then Flash poo poo itself and died. :argh:

You have the worst luck with flash.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
What exactly do the trinkets unlocked by the Chest do? I know Issac's Head is basically a trinket-slot follower, but what are the others? And whatever the Left Hand is.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

There's a use for bombs outside of secret rooms / blowing open uncleared rooms to save potential d6 charges?

:aaaaa:

X rocks, obviously.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Met posted:

The first two times I went against the Mask, I didn't have ANY trouble whatsoever. Took no damage. Seemed like an easy fight.

Since then, I've fought it quite a few more times and it's like I can never hit the back of the Mask's face after I kill the heart.

Have you downloaded the patch that changed the knights and the Mask's AI to be more bullshit since then? That could be the answer.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Mind Spew posted:

It was like that until 1.3. Now it looks like secrets count towards it too, which unfortunately seems to include the no damage achievements.

And what if my secrets haven't updated since I picked up loving Sampson of all things?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
How many times have you killed Mom's Heart, BlackFrost? Because after a certain number of kills a shaft of holy light appears alongside the trapdoor to Sheol in the Womb/Utero 2 boss room, and that's how you get to the Cathedral.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Xaiter posted:

http://www.livestream.com/honkimacat/

Sorry. I'll remember to post it next time. That good run went to poo poo because I was lazy. But I got Mom's Knife right after that. :getin:

What's the turnaround on getting videos uploaded, by the way?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but NEVER teleport in the Chest. You CANNOT get out of the secret room.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I wasted 2 hours last night with a Sampson run because I thought I hadn't cleared the chest with him yet. I don't know who my last 2 characters to clear the chest are, but going by the achievements they SHOULD be Sampson and ???.

Does that mean it's Eve and... bugger if I know?

I've seen Issac's head, ???'s soul, maggy's faith, judas' tounge and I think that's about it for the endgame trinkets.

Fix the goddamn achievements already. Secret list isn't any help either.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Heart containers are actually poo poo now. Soul Hearts are the best health now, thanks to Guppy's Paw. Always always always trade all your hearts away from 3 soul hearts apiece, because from the Depths onwards you get free invincibility after every hit and if you have the Virus (which is fairly common) you just demolish everything. One heart = a dead room. 3 hearts will kill Isaac and ???.

Don't forget that using the Paw to get down to 1 heart or less is actually a brilliant idea if you want to get bonus boss-fight level items from the bloody-dagger arenas.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Saigyouji posted:

I'm assuming they meant the Health Down pills, not Bad Trip. Those are terrible.

They kind of suck in the Womb and beyond, but a full-health pill when you need it the most? Count me in!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Power of Pecota posted:

This does the same thing to Little Steve/Sister Maggy and I'm sure plenty of other upgrades to Brother Bobby until the holy water breaks, then they revert. It's a weird bug.

Essentially, the holy water is useless if you plan on getting followers at all that run. Your most recent follower turns into Brother Bobby.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Wait, does the angel room from It Lives/Mom's Heart actually take you to the cathedral now? I thought it just opened to Sheol.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Gromit posted:

Glad it isn't just me then.

Is there an easy way to tell what characters you have left to finish the Chest with? I mean, I get a decent idea by looking at the achievements in Steam, but with it awarding the wrong ones with some characters I'm just not certain any more.

Considering I beat the chest with Eve a half dozen times before realising the other day it was actually Cain I had to beat it with...

Speaking of, I only need the Egg Sac and Distant Admiration according to the cheat engine list of items to spawn with. Where are they most often found?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

psivamp posted:

Got Forget Me Now in the Chest, used it. Gambled about two bucks worth on three Fortune Tellers and a Portable Slot Machine. I had Epic Fetus and the Nail pretty much the whole game, but kept getting combinations of rooms and enemies that I sucked at fighting.

That's ??? down with Maggie. I think I'm left with Samson and ??? (although I have the achievement for ??? and I've seen his soul an awful lot).

Try Cain, that was the character I needed to unlock those two achievements.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

BlackFrost posted:

On one hand, I'm extremely happy that I won't have to beat The Chest with Eve. On the other, I'm extremely unhappy that I have to beat it with ??? again. Unless Eve unlocks his stuff? How does this work, has it been figured out yet?

Eve unlocks ???'s soul but gives no achievement; Cain unlocks Cain's eye and gives you Sampson's Lock & ???'s Soul achievement pings.

How is it so hosed up jesus christ

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Define "did"? The end goal of Issac was Good Today is to go to Sheol and kill Satan, not just 'reach Mom' or 'Reach Mom's Heart/It Lives'

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Sockser posted:

Note for future self-reference: Don't bring the left hand into the chest, idiot.

Left hand + rusty key + guppy's tail on a cheat engine run ended up sending me to the devil about 3 or 4 times before I reached ??? on Chest visit.

Now I just have to get out of the habit of running through the chest multiple times and not actually earning the items I find :( 'Go to the chest without polaroid' is the most double-edged cheat.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Decompiler guys: Where's that egg sac item at, pool-wise, and what's it do?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

CJacobs posted:

I plan on making one for boss unlocks as well as game completion/item unlocks which will take time as they aren't simple copy/paste jobs. So, uh, if you want those let me know and I'll post them when they're done.

That would own hard! I kind of have an urge to make a rebooted save using that program mentioned in Xaiter's LP thread so it'd be nice to have this nicely drawn list to work with.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Navaash posted:

(note the minimap, it's obviously the Devil room but with no means of escape).

No it isn't, Joker cards and Red Chest devil/god room teleports work as normal in the chest (the left hand and guppy's tail proves it)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Ghost Head posted:

I noticed that it never dropped any of the red chests that contained items or the teleport to the devil room. I think the ones that drop randomly only give you live bombs, troll bombs, spiders and spirit hearts. I don't think it's worth it.

Well, the run where I kept hitting the devil/god room on the chest, I actually was using Cheatengine to run through the chest a bunch. It averaged to one or two visits to the devil over a full floor of red chests (guppy's tail helped make nearly every room drop a red chest), so yeah, it's pretty low odds anecdotally.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Have you somehow managed to never enter through the bottom or sides of a fight with the Bloat? He has a loving garunteed hit every time.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

...Don't try to react? It can't attack you if you're behind it, so if it's at the bottom of the screen hit it. If it's not at the bottom of the screen, go down out of line of sight and just concentrate on not getting hit.

So hey tell us how you avoid being hit when you enter the fight from the bottom/sides because that's the number one gripe about that bullshit of a bossfight.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
It's the one with the split-second Brimstone-style lasers that fire directly straight down or to both sides simultaneously. If you enter the boss fight from the bottom/sides, you're straight up hosed.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Satan, Issac and ??? kills count as Mom kills so if you kill 2 or somehow 3 in one run before running out of mom-kill rewards, you get both rewards at once. It's working as intended.

Hell, I started my momkills against the heart by using guppy against her, the heart upgraded to It Lives! during that run.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
it's the switched items. You aren't ??? until you die with the ankh, and you would have unlocked anything BUT ???'s soul. I'm still not sure who unlocks what.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Cheat like I acidentally did with Cheatengine - I was farting around with an invincibility cheat and didn't realise that CE didn't automatically disable achievements. Whoops.

Basically you need to have either the shovel and an emperor card, or an XL floor and an emperor card. Then just beat the boss(es) without getting hit, simple as that.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
You can do the challenges as not-Issac? loving hell.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I think Maggy has a higher chance of getting Mom's items, that may be confirmation bias though.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I tend to just dodge out of the way of the door by habit now, just in case.

Red poop, you're dead.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Can we maybe get a timestamp for that 45 minute long video? Also, 486 episodes of a Let's Play? loving youtube.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Skunkrocker posted:

So any strategies on dealing with the Masks and Hearts WITHOUT using an activation item? Not the boss Mask and Heart, but the little ones in Necropolis?

I've gotten to the point any time I'm playing I just give up when Necropolis shows up instead of the Depths because I know I'm going to trapped in a room with those fuckers. Items that are perfect for dealing with them (Mom's Pad, My Little Unicorn, Death, etc) I like to save for the boss itself and thus I tank a ton of damage. With my terrible terrible luck (hopefully that'll change, just unlocked Cain) I'll go through three or four of those rooms before the boss so I'll end up fighting five or six at once with a half of a heart and holding onto an item I desperately don't want to use up because I won't get it recharged in time for the boss.

Practice dodging maybe? If you're always going to use a crutch of a spacebar item you're never going to get better at killing them.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I don't think I remember the masks moving quite like that, and I don't think I ever encountered them and the hearts in a closed-circuit room. I've always had a set of rocks I could manuever around to jank them out of my way.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
The hosed up 'missing item' trinket unlocks/achievements will always give me a smile.

Beat the game as Issac and get the Issac's Head achievement and unlock.
Beat the game as Maggie and get the Maggie's Faith achievement and unlock.

Then the unlocks turn into a bit of a clusterfuck:

Beat game as Judas, get Cain's achievement and unlock Judas's Tounge.
Beat game as Cain, get ???'s achievement and unlock Cain's Eye.
Beat game as ???, get Samson's achievement and unlock Eve's Bird Foot.
Beat game as Samson, get Eve's achievement and unlock Samson's Lock.
Beat game as Eve, get Judas's achievement and unlock ???'s Soul.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

YF-23 posted:

The problem is against enemies that run after you, meaning you have a hard time getting your shot to connect with them or you launch right as you pass by a rock and the Ipecac shot explodes right as it leaves you, exploding in your face.

There's also an issue with forgetting yourself and flying over a rock (at least when I regularly ran into it, alongside the 'all god items in shop for half price!!!' glitch) and then shooting, and having your feet explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Cerony posted:

I wanna complete the collection page on BOI before I move on to WOTL and all I need is Money=Power. Any tips for getting it out? I've been using Isaac with the D6.

Sell your soul forever. (It's a devil item)

• Locked thread