Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Raptor1033 posted:

Does anyone feel like the game is constantly telling you to go gently caress yourself?

Hi! Welcome to Roguelikes. Getting hosed unfairly and constantly is in fact a feature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Rocketlex posted:

I've never been able to buy that it's an actual feature, really. More like lazy design passed off as a feature.

"Well, there's no way we can properly balance the difficulty of this many gameplay variables so...let's just say that being frustratingly hard is the point."

If that were the case he would never had nerfed Tech 2. More to the point, I'm less willing to call a 20+-year-old genre of games a product of lazy designers all the way down the line.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Raptor1033 posted:

It really hinges on your damage output. If you have extremely fast, low damage shots then you're going to lose because of how long it's going to take to kill him with constant counter tears from him.

By the same token, my last successful run was The Purist. Picked up Epic Fetus on Basement 1; and from there it seemed like I got nothing but the map, compass, and a full rack of hearts. Got the Polaroid without even trying and left the chest with a Full Health pill in tow. Always nice to unlock three things in one go.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Color Printer posted:

I believe he's referring to the imagery. Dead baby, coat hanger, knife.

Also, a note to the game: Getting Super Wrath as Judas in the first room is highly inappropriate and I would gladly appreciate it if you never loving did that ever again.

At least it's impossible to lose in the first room without being able to move, unlike some other games I could name

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ChibiSoma posted:

E: Beating Mom drops the Polaroid.

It's still a loving stupid mechanic.

There's absolutely no pleasing some people.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
This wasn't on the current update, but here's something the hackers might find interesting: The only time I've gotten a God room before getting a Devil room and it wasn't from a Joker card, I'd picked up the Holy Water. End anecdote.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

CaptainWinky posted:

The Polaroid makes Guppy's paw own hardcore. If I find the paw in the Depths before the Mom fight I'll convert all my heart containers right then and there. If I don't have a better spacebar item to hold on to, I'll take the paw with me in case I find any more HP ups to convert into extra soul hearts.

Speaking of the Polaroid--has anybody who unlocked the Polaroid managed to NOT get it after the Mom fight post 1.4? Ed says you get it for "playing well" but I have had a couple of shameful Mom runs and still found it afterwards.

I think "playing well" is a roundabout way of saying "making it past Mom's Leg"

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Doniazade posted:

Don't munch too many luck up pills, your luck will roll over into the negatives and you'll get almost no drops and no procs.

Does the reverse work? That is, eat a bunch of Luck Downs and roll it over the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

goferchan posted:

that sounds like it would be really tight though

If you have piercing shots, yes. Otherwise, you're just likely to knock things into yourself and die.

• Locked thread