Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dredd is a British made sci-fi movie based on the comic book character of Judge Dredd. You can read more about him here. There was a movie made by Stallone in 1995 which is a fun movie in its own right but it wasn't really a Judge Dredd movie.

The story so far:

quote:

The story of Dredd takes place on a fictional Earth created as a result of the Atomic Wars. Survivors of this period are living in megacities, which protects its citizens from the Cursed Earth, a radioactive desert environment populated by mutants. The main story takes place in Mega-City One, where the police who are now called judges have the power to use police brutality to some extent to fight extreme murders. One man, Judge Dredd (Karl Urban), a senior law enforcement officer, teams up with a cadet called Judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) to track down a terrorist organization lead by Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), who is responsible for selling a reality-altering drug called Slo-Mo.

The cast you're actually going to care about :

Karl Urban as Judge Dredd
Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson
Lena Headey as Madeline Madrigal (AKA "Ma-Ma")

The script is written by Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine) so that might be good?

We have a trailer as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCfqGsXu3M

I'll admit that I don't really have high hopes for this, so long as Karl Urban punches and shoots lots of criminals while yelling at them about the law I'll be reasonably happy.

Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Short version: THIS MOVIE IS REALLY GOOD! You should watch it! Multiple times because it needs the money if you ever want a sequel.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whoever said this looks like a cyberpunk version of The Raid: Redemption in the Who Greenlighted This poo poo thread was spot on. I just watched the trailer and that was the exact same vibe I got from it too. Looks loving cool, though. I'll definitely be seeing this.

I've never seen the Stallone original, so I have no point of reference as to how this compares to that one. But it looks very interesting. It seems to have this weird, unique aesthetic going on, like it's an 80s movie that's being made with contemporary technology and techniques. Even if it didn't look like it would have badass action scenes, I'd go see it just for that because the visual style makes it look very different than most action/sci-fi movies coming out nowadays.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 23, 2012

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Based on the trailer, this doesn't look a lot different from the Stallone movie--just a little bit more Dark Knight and a lot less 80's-90's action humor.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Dredd readers have had 30 odd years of planning this movie in their heads. I too dont hold out much hope that it will be any good.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I can't help but be annoyed that everyone is so pretty. In a world of mutant and junky criminals, the occasional average to ugly person might be present. I kind of liked that they had a mutant/cyborg guy in the Stallone version. Mean Machine if I recall correctly.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
I don't really know Dredd outside of the Stallone film, but this looks like a decent action movie. Granted, I haven't seen The Raid yet, so this may very well suck by comparison.

What worries me though is that it's from the writer of 28 Days Later. Good God I hated that movie.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At least (in the trailer) he doesn't take his helmet off. That's a plus.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rando posted:

At least (in the trailer) he doesn't take his helmet off. That's a plus.

Last I heard he never takes the helmet off. Now if only Karl Urban didn't look like such a tiny guy in the helmet and suit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

He's got a good frown going though.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
That trailer was seriously one of the lamest ones I've ever seen. Most involve some kind of action along with some kind of vague references to the antagonists. This one came off as a direct transcription of the pitch. "Okay, so there's the new substance, and Dredd and that chick from Juno have to go straight to the top and take the producer lady out. Yeah she's a hot chick. Also rockets."

mango sentinel posted:

Last I heard he never takes the helmet off. Now if only Karl Urban didn't look like such a tiny guy in the helmet and suit.

He's still going to be better than "Jijj, Jeeeewy and Eggsecujehnah" Stallone. Also, there's bonus points for leaving out a supposed clone of Stallone's character played by Armand Assante (who both are supposed to be clones of Max von Sydow.)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Whoever said this looks like a cyberpunk version of The Raid: Redemption in the Who Greenlighted This poo poo thread was spot on. I just watched the trailer and that was the exact same vibe I got from it too. Looks loving cool, though. I'll definitely be seeing this.

Apparently the people that made The Raid started filming after Dredd did and were completely unaware of Dredd's plot until after they were close to wrapping up. I also think it's unlikely the people who made Dredd were even aware of The Raid until it was too late to change anything.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Nice to see that the war on drugs is still a top priority for law enforcement more than a century from now.

ImperialDick
Jul 28, 2004

Beat me
I was a bit disappointed that Mega City One doesn't look the way I'd hoped; New York in The Fifth Element looks more like MC1 to me.

I like Urban's voice though. People say he's ripping off Bale's Batman but to me, he sounds like he's channeling Eastwood who is after all one of the inspirations for Dredd.

I'm looking forward to it but as someone who grew up on 2000AD, I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

Also, needs more Otto Sump and/or Chopper! :)

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

James Woods posted:

Nice to see that the war on drugs is still a top priority for law enforcement more than a century from now.

Judge Dredd, the comic is straight up satire, FYI.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 23, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

particle409 posted:

I can't help but be annoyed that everyone is so pretty. In a world of mutant and junky criminals, the occasional average to ugly person might be present. I kind of liked that they had a mutant/cyborg guy in the Stallone version. Mean Machine if I recall correctly.

All the mooks they showed were really ugly and Lena Headey has some serious scars on her face (though any ugly-person makeup they give her is offset by the fact that she's Lena Headey).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Are there any Judge Dredd fans here? It never really was a thing where I grew up and while I know of the principal characters - Dredd, Hershey, Cal, Death and the setting - MC1, I don't know a whole lot about it. When I saw the Stallone film, I was 10 and even then I could tell it was a piece of poo poo, but due to my lack of knowledge about the comic itself, I didn't realise how much of a crushing disappointment it was. Could someone do a quick and dirty schooling on Dredd, please?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
There's an issue of the comic where he arrests a caricature of Chris Evans, an extremely annoying British TV/radio presenter. That is all you need to know.

Edit : He also arrests people for reading or possessing books (They're all banned), and his nemesis is Judge Death, who kills people for the crime of being alive. This prevents Dredd from summarily executing them for things like smoking and not paying parking fines so he doesn't like it.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 23, 2012

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Vagabundo posted:

Are there any Judge Dredd fans here? It never really was a thing where I grew up and while I know of the principal characters - Dredd, Hershey, Cal, Death and the setting - MC1, I don't know a whole lot about it. When I saw the Stallone film, I was 10 and even then I could tell it was a piece of poo poo, but due to my lack of knowledge about the comic itself, I didn't realise how much of a crushing disappointment it was. Could someone do a quick and dirty schooling on Dredd, please?

Break the law and he'll break you.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
This looks awful. I won't bother with how wrong Karl Urban looks because there are more grating problems.
Mega City One looks like Houston. It's supposed to be a dystopia, like Blade Runner but even shittier to live in. That's something the first movie got right. This looks clean and spacious. Mega City One is supposed to have apartment complexes that house tens of thousands of people with everything built really close together. This is a very important factor in the setting and atmosphere, it's one of the (unavoidable) causes of the high crime rate.

The Lawmaster looks like the bike from Megaforce.

Most importantly: Judge Dredd is supposed to be the face of a ruthless, totalitarian regime. He's the bad guy because the comic is a satire. In this movie he's a total badass because the death penalty is super awesome and if people didn't want to get shot they shouldn't have committed a crime USA NUMBER ONE! How could they not get that? Someone over in the "Who greenlighted this poo poo" thread's read the script and liked it even though there's no satirical bent on the fascism at all.
What's this slo-mo drug anyway? In the comics sugar is treated as a drug since that's one of the many, many things banned. 20 years for possession, they do sugar raids too. Totalitarian regime, remember?

What we have here is two tough cops making their way up a building, shooting drug dealers. That's all there is to the story. Even as a straight-up action movie it looks dull because the whole thing is CG. I get that they didn't have the budget to do it with practical effects, but then what was the point in making this movie? It's the complete opposite of the comics, philosophy-wise, and as an action movie it looks forgettable at best.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Vagabundo posted:

It's set around 130 years in the future (so Dredd ages in 'real time' - the strip's been running for 35 years, and he's now pushing 70) and is a sci-fi-action-thriller-black-comedy-satire, depending on the whim of the writer that week. The world has been ravaged by war and environmental collapse, so most of the surviving population are crammed into a couple of dozen mega-cities scattered around the planet. Crime is high, so the cities use the 'Judge System' to keep control, where cops are replaced by elite Judges with the power to arrest, try and sentence criminals on the spot, and even execute them if the crime is serious enough (or if they resist arrest in the tiniest way). Judge Dredd is the most feared Judge in Mega-City One (a conurbation that used to run from Boston to Miami, until the writers decided it was too big and nuked the entire southern half with the death of 400 million people); he's dedicated, incorruptible and utterly ruthless. Crusading hero or murdering fascist? Both. He is the Law!

There you go.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

VincentPrice posted:

Most importantly: Judge Dredd is supposed to be the face of a ruthless, totalitarian regime. He's the bad guy because the comic is a satire.

He's not the bad guy. He's not exactly the good guy either, although he has moments. It's 2000 AD, he's mostly just the guy. I mean he's currently fighting for mutant rights and poo poo, he's killed his bosses a few times, he's quit when he thinks he can't uphold the law anymore. He's not a totally brainwashed fascist monster....he's just nearly completely unemotional and lacking almost all empathy in the face of justice. He is the law as they say, and sometimes that's good and sometimes that's almost hilariously out of touch....and sometimes that's brutally cruel to innocent people.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
We're talking about a guy who shoots a civilian in order to shoot a criminal and his only response to the guys that outrage that he got shot is to correct him in that he shoot through him and thanking him for his help in upholding the law.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
But he thanked him!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ta, guys.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Somehow this trailer looks like it was made with less of a budget then the Stalone Dredd movie..

This trailer is just like "gently caress yeah I wanna see this movie!!"

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I've not read the comics or anything, kinda like the Stallone Dredd just for the crazy 90's sci-fi aspect but in this trailer Mega City One is pretty bland. A bunch of lowrise slums around the base of very sparse megabuildings? Sure the stallone version might have had a totally cluttered skyline but at least the city looked awesome with these massive structures towering above everything with only a small gap between them.

The Stewart
Jun 22, 2004
and how
I don't know.. I watched the trailer and it just seems really off. I don't like comparing movies but the 95 movie had its flaws but it also had a lot a great things going on about it. It had atmosphere, the sets/costumes/guns/camera work was awesome and seeing Stallone running around kicking rear end and being Stallone is always a good show.

Will see what story might be like in this one, hopefully something good.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

drunkill posted:

I've not read the comics or anything, kinda like the Stallone Dredd just for the crazy 90's sci-fi aspect but in this trailer Mega City One is pretty bland. A bunch of lowrise slums around the base of very sparse megabuildings? Sure the stallone version might have had a totally cluttered skyline but at least the city looked awesome with these massive structures towering above everything with only a small gap between them.
That was one of my first thoughts on seeing the trailer; I said in the Greenlight thread that Mega-City One should look like Blade Runner on acid and crazy pills, while this looks like District 9. The reason there's so much crime in the comic is because everyone is crammed into these awful WTC-sized blocks with tens of thousands of other people (and almost no hope of finding a job). One of the few things the Stallone movie got right was the city itself.

I hope it's not going to be 'Dystopic Sci-Fi Action Movie (with a Judge Dredd licence)’. :ohdear:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Urban sounds like hes having an uncharacteristic amount of fun doing his job for Dredd.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I will see this for Karl Urban and because the basic plot behind The Raid is pretty much the most excellent thing possible for an action movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This looks like Equilibrium but with the judges and government as the good guys. In other words utterly awful.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

VincentPrice posted:

What we have here is two tough cops making their way up a building, shooting drug dealers. That's all there is to the story. Even as a straight-up action movie it looks dull because the whole thing is CG. I get that they didn't have the budget to do it with practical effects, but then what was the point in making this movie? It's the complete opposite of the comics, philosophy-wise, and as an action movie it looks forgettable at best.

Let's be real, in this day and age, with the way things are going, there's no way there's going to be a blockbuster movie satirizing fascism.

Edit: For some reason, I'm reminded of the latest Rainbow Six project (that I think fell through a few months back), where the Rainbows are fighting against a group of terrorists who are offing big time bankers. But today, no one would care, so they made the terrorists randomly kill innocent bystanders, as well. Why? Just because. They're bad now, see? Now crush them!

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy

MrBling posted:

We're talking about a guy who shoots a civilian in order to shoot a criminal and his only response to the guys that outrage that he got shot is to correct him in that he shoot through him and thanking him for his help in upholding the law.

This sentence. :psyduck:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

nickmeister posted:

Let's be real, in this day and age, with the way things are going, there's no way there's going to be a blockbuster movie satirizing fascism.

Edit: For some reason, I'm reminded of the latest Rainbow Six project (that I think fell through a few months back), where the Rainbows are fighting against a group of terrorists who are offing big time bankers. But today, no one would care, so they made the terrorists randomly kill innocent bystanders, as well. Why? Just because. They're bad now, see? Now crush them!
I think from a producer standpoint you really can't even try to make that picture. A lot of countries are having a conservative reaction to loving everything, the UK, the US and Canada, at least if elected officials are any indication of things. The nanny state seems to be getting bigger.

How many people read Judge Dredd comics? Enough to recoup the cost of a movie? Doubtful. Enough for a film to actually turn a profit? Absolutely not.

Hence, you go after a wider audience. You dumb it down to earn more money. It's not unheard of.

EDIT:

Bo Berry posted:

This sentence. :psyduck:
http://youtu.be/G7RgN9ijwE4

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dredd and Anderson fighting their way through a block run by a slow motion drug dealing gang is definitely something that wouldn't be out of place in the comics. And Dredd may be a fascist but he's rarely presented as a straight up villain (though that has happened). He's normally more of an antihero, like Dirty Harry (who he was heavily inspired by).

Dredd is completely merciless in his application of the law, he's a clone of Chief Judge Fargo (the dude who overthrew the last President of the USA) raised since birth to be part of this horrendous post apocalyptic capitalist police state dictatorship. So his values are completely hosed up but he's not evil. He will put his life on the line to save an innocent, it's just that his definition of an innocent is going to be a lot narrower.

Which is why I think this low-key storyline is a good idea- if they had him fighting Judge Death or someone completely evil, then it would be really hard to not come across as endorsing Dredd's values. Instead they establish the character and setting with a relatively normal day in Dredd's life.

My main concern for this movie is that with the low budget they aren't really getting across how crazy Mega City One is, it all looks a bit bland. There should be all kinds of stupid fashions, adverts everywhere, flying hovercars, the skyline should be a cluttered mess. This is the one thing the Stallone movie did a really good job on. Most of the new movie takes place inside one block so this shouldn't be a problem for long.

But for the sequel they need to give it a huge budget and get Paul Verhoeven to direct.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nickmeister posted:

Edit: For some reason, I'm reminded of the latest Rainbow Six project (that I think fell through a few months back)

I think Patriots is still going, but they axed the creative director and a half-dozen other creative / narrative types, so it sounds like they're keeping the assets but redoing the story. (I'd guess Ubisoft got cold feet about having the player shift from being on Rainbow to being part of the terrorist group.) The new creative director was a designer on Heavy Rain. :barf:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

marktheando posted:

But for the sequel they need to give it a huge budget and get Paul Verhoeven to direct.

They also need to do the insane Judge Cal bit of the Cursed Earth storyline. If only to see Judge Fish on the big screen.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Timby posted:

I think Patriots is still going, but they axed the creative director and a half-dozen other creative / narrative types, so it sounds like they're keeping the assets but redoing the story. (I'd guess Ubisoft got cold feet about having the player shift from being on Rainbow to being part of the terrorist group.) The new creative director was a designer on Heavy Rain. :barf:

They were going to let become a terrorist? The way they presented in the trailer(s) and promotional material, the terrorists were irredeemable extremists who strapped bombs to CEO's and bankers before chucking them into a crowded street of regular joes and blowing them up. I could see the game taking that route if the terrorists were merely performing precision hits on the said bankers (which would make more sense, since the bad guys are supposedly ex-military, highly skilled, not just sloppy thugs), but not the way they were presented.

Not saying you're wrong, just seems a little odd to me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nickmeister posted:

They were going to let become a terrorist? The way they presented in the trailer(s) and promotional material, the terrorists were irredeemable extremists who strapped bombs to CEO's and bankers before chucking them into a crowded street of regular joes and blowing them up. I could see the game taking that route if the terrorists were merely performing precision hits on the said bankers (which would make more sense, since the bad guys are supposedly ex-military, highly skilled, not just sloppy thugs), but not the way they were presented.

Not saying you're wrong, just seems a little odd to me.

The thing I remember seeing in Game Informer or some other gaming magazine, there were CoD-style cutaways, but the one I saw was from the perspective of a banker whose home is invaded by the not-Occupy terrorists, his family taken captive, and a bomb strapped to him and then tossed into traffic.

Honestly, having Rainbow members go rogue and taking out bankers, brokers, and other corporate executive types would have been cooler. I think the problem is that those executive management class is probably the least sympathetic people in the United States right now that even if they made the terrorists irredeemable bad guys, there would still be a nagging part in your mind that these guys are right.

poo poo, I felt that way playing the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter series, because the basic jist of that game is that you're intervening and putting down a popular revolution that seeks to keep its nation's sovereignty and not be a U.S. security puppet. And that's with most of your targets being brown-skinned Mexicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

VincentPrice posted:

Mega City One looks like Houston. It's supposed to be a dystopia

I see no conflict between these sentences.

The only good thing about this trailer is Olivia Thirlby's face. Otherwise, my god this looks bland.

• Locked thread