Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analrapist
Dec 8, 2006
Wiki wiki wild wild west
Am I the only one who'd love to see a film adaptation of Strontium Dogs? The storyline in that 2000AD series was amazing in how emotionally gripping and deep it was, the story of Johhny Alpha, time bombs, Wulf Sternhammer, the Gronk... so much cool stuff just begging to be crammed into a big-budget film. Alas, I doubt it'll ever see the light of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The Stallone movie is a very average film, arguably a terrible Judge Dredd film, but manages to be a very entertaining movie that has a pretty good balance of hammyness, action and one liners that only the 90s could have pulled off.

Watched it again just then and still love it for its complete sillyness.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Analrapist posted:

Am I the only one who'd love to see a film adaptation of Strontium Dogs? The storyline in that 2000AD series was amazing in how emotionally gripping and deep it was, the story of Johhny Alpha, time bombs, Wulf Sternhammer, the Gronk... so much cool stuff just begging to be crammed into a big-budget film. Alas, I doubt it'll ever see the light of day.
Big Finish did a series of Strontium Dog audio dramas, starring Simon Pegg. Who is in Star Trek with Karl Urban. Who is Judge Dredd. Whoa, man, it's all connected...

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
I've always been a bit puzzled by people calling the '95 Dredd a terrible film. It sits uncannily between two of my favourite films in visuals, story, and years. It's largely a remake of Demolition Man, and leads the Fifth Element in costume design. Both films have famous fashion designers producing uniforms that are quite fabulous. Dredd's signals the camp tone with golden codpieces and lycra bodysuits, the silliness of which is played to the hilt in a film I imagine a lot of Dredd comic fans were expected to have a darker or grittier tone. It also cops of flak for being a Stallone film; I've never felt his speech impediment detracted from any of his performances, but everyone I know who it annoys has never really explained the problem with it.

Compare Versace

and Gaultier

The judges' HQ is also one of my favourite pieces of sci-fi architecture, which wouldn't look out of place in Starship Troopers.

As a darker, camper re-imagining of Demolition Man I've always liked it, although fewer lines from Rob Schneider would improve the pacing in the film's last third, and the fight between Rico and Dredd felt like a throwaway scene, although their conversation beforehand really outlines the core conflict between the two, and makes Rico far more sympathetic than he's supposedly written as. That he is played as a standard insane villain I think is a missed trick that Wesley Snipes did a much better job of.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Don't worry, this one is going to have some great set design, too:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The costume and set design in the Stallone film were great, it's just the rest of the film that's a problem. They choose to have Rico as the main villain- not the choice I would have made, I think learning about Dredd's 'family' is something you do after you know the character. But fine, there's a lot to work with there.

Then they just add everything they could think of to mess up what, in the comic, was a relatively simple story of two brothers at odds with each other. And they miss the point of just about everything. They add Hammerstein the robot, who isn't even from Judge Dredd but another unconnected 2000ad strip. He looked good though. They take us to the cursed earth where we meet the Angel Gang, who are done well but really deserve more than the short sequence they got. They add Judge Fargo (who is long dead before Dredd crawled out of his cloning tank). I think Dredd having an actual relationship with his clone-father humanises both Dredd and Fargo too much. To Dredd Fargo should be the almost godlike distant Father of Justice, not a mentor figure he has nice chats with. They add Fergie, a moron character who appeared once in the comics 30 years ago and change him drastically from a lumbering giant brute idiot to being Rob Schneider.

This is what Rob Schneider's character was like in the comics, if I remember right he died in the same story he was introduced in. He is not someone the fans were demanding to see in the movie, and is only remembered because he appears in a minor role in a classic story.

I think they must have just decided to place Rob Schneider in the movie and just chose a name for him out of the comic randomly.

Also there weren't any fat people with belly wheels, which is like half the point of doing a Judge Dredd movie. Hopefully the new movie will have wheeled fatties in 3D.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They also need to have his sterotypical Italian maid.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also sending Judges who gently caress up to a penal colony on Titan where they need to be surgically altered to survive is one of the most memorable and horrifying things from the comics. One of the things that really shows the Judges aren't the good guys. This is rico from the comics after he gets out and comes after Dredd for revenge.

So they change it to Aspen and just have a few jokes about how Aspen isn't a place you want to go to in this future world, ho ho!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes this too.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

And Walter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sammyv posted:

And Walter.

Of course, but that would require the Robot War and that would be awesome.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
I can understand how Dredd '95 may have been a wild departure from the images and themes of the comics, and how Dredd fans who wanted that would be disappointed at the lost potential - I have similar feelings about the Transformers films. However, I don't see that as a criticism of the film rather than viewers' expectations. Admittedly this discussion pops up in every thread where the existing source material has a fan base so I'm not looking to repeat it. I'm glad the film was made, stylish camp and all, and at the same time am looking forward to a more grounded effort in the new Dredd film.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

lessthankyle posted:

Don't worry, this one is going to have some great set design, too:

I'm sorry, this just got passed over. Is this what I think it is?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Now that you bring it up, I can't really unsee it either. I never really noticed it the first time in the trailer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OnlyJuanMon posted:

How can it not be? It even has a satellite dish as a gold ring.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Actually holy loving poo poo. I just realized. Going off the trailer Tubgirl lives in the Tower of Goatse.

The Internet has now inspired a whole new wave of easter eggs in film.

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 10, 2012

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

marktheando posted:

The costume and set design in the Stallone film were great, it's just the rest of the film that's a problem. They choose to have Rico as the main villain- not the choice I would have made, I think learning about Dredd's 'family' is something you do after you know the character. But fine, there's a lot to work with there.

Then they just add everything they could think of to mess up what, in the comic, was a relatively simple story of two brothers at odds with each other. And they miss the point of just about everything.
Danny Cannon once said that writer Steven de Souza kept complaining about Dredd: "This guy is a fascist!" The reason for the bit where Dredd blows up the yuppie guy's car is because the thought process literally was "This makes him a dick rather than a monster, which gives us a starting point to redeem and humanise him." :ughh:

Now de Souza wrote Commando, The Running Man and Die Hard, so to me that lifts him above most criticism. But yeah, he really didn't get the point of Dredd at all, and was trying to fit him into the standard Hollywood formula.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

McDark posted:

I can understand how Dredd '95 may have been a wild departure from the images and themes of the comics, and how Dredd fans who wanted that would be disappointed at the lost potential - I have similar feelings about the Transformers films. However, I don't see that as a criticism of the film rather than viewers' expectations. Admittedly this discussion pops up in every thread where the existing source material has a fan base so I'm not looking to repeat it. I'm glad the film was made, stylish camp and all, and at the same time am looking forward to a more grounded effort in the new Dredd film.

It's not that they messed with the source material- that's something anyone adapting something into a film is going to do. It's that they seemed to not understand it, and then they kept adding random things from the comic cluttering up the movie. Mean Machine, Fergie, The Cursed Earth, etc etc. On the one hand it's a really unfaithful adaptation, on the other it's full of random things and characters from the comics, so much so that the main plot is neglected. It's the worst of both worlds when it comes to adaptations.

Payndz posted:

Danny Cannon once said that writer Steven de Souza kept complaining about Dredd: "This guy is a fascist!" The reason for the bit where Dredd blows up the yuppie guy's car is because the thought process literally was "This makes him a dick rather than a monster, which gives us a starting point to redeem and humanise him." :ughh:

Now de Souza wrote Commando, The Running Man and Die Hard, so to me that lifts him above most criticism. But yeah, he really didn't get the point of Dredd at all, and was trying to fit him into the standard Hollywood formula.

Not that I don't blame Danny Cannon for a lot of those failures as well, but yeah the humanising of Dredd was such a mistake.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

marktheando posted:

It's not that they messed with the source material- that's something anyone adapting something into a film is going to do. It's that they seemed to not understand it, and then they kept adding random things from the comic cluttering up the movie. Mean Machine, Fergie, The Cursed Earth, etc etc. On the one hand it's a really unfaithful adaptation, on the other it's full of random things and characters from the comics, so much so that the main plot is neglected. It's the worst of both worlds when it comes to adaptations.

I don't think you will ever see a Dredd movie that is straight from the comics. It's such a weird series that I just don't think can translate to a major motion picture. Sort of like Aeon Flux that movie had literally nothing to do with it's namesake because they realized that they just couldn't do it.

I just can't see any company making a huge movie with a character like Dredd from the comics full of crazy fat guys with belly wheels. I think that hits it more on the head for the movie writers and stuff. It's really not that they didn't understand Dredd because in all honesty it's not a complicated character and story. The comics literally beat you over the head with the message over and over it's really hard to miss it. Seems more like they just didn't want to make that kind of character be the lead of a major movie and I can't really blame them.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 10, 2012

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I somewhat wished they did some work on Urban's face so he'd have a more pronounced chin, underbite, scars, etc. but otherwise from what I'm seeing it seems faithful to the source material.

I was a huge 2000 AD fan as a kid, and when the first Judge Dredd movie was announced I was excited. After watching it, I came out of it feeling very dismayed and disappointed.

IndecisiveMexican
Feb 14, 2006
¿Pero whish one?
Edit: the theater was filled to capacity.

IndecisiveMexican fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 12, 2012

Analrapist
Dec 8, 2006
Wiki wiki wild wild west
I recently re-watched the 90's Judge Dredd movie, and I have to say that apart from the obvious schlock, Rob Schneider and Dredd's helmet removal, I cannot understand the hate it gets. For a straight up 90s action flick, it is pretty remarkable, and the set design is pretty great too.

I particularly love the look and feel they gave Mega-City One, and the street gangers/civilians are a good representation of the perps found in the comics. Obviously it's not a true reflection on the comics (which I adore and grew up reading) but I just don't get the hate for it.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Interesting reaction from Comic-con. Looks like it plays well with fans.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/comic-con-dredd-plays-to-cheering-fans-but-will-it-play-to-the-mainstream/

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
MC1 runs from Boston to LA? Christ, and it was ridiculously oversized in the early comics when it ran from Boston to Miami!

That report makes me more hopeful about the movie, though. Dredd's sometimes a hero, but he's always a bastard, and it sounds like that's the tone they're going for.

EDIT: IGN have a review up. 8/10.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 12, 2012

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Analrapist posted:

I recently re-watched the 90's Judge Dredd movie, and I have to say that apart from the obvious schlock, Rob Schneider and Dredd's helmet removal, I cannot understand the hate it gets. For a straight up 90s action flick, it is pretty remarkable, and the set design is pretty great too.

I particularly love the look and feel they gave Mega-City One, and the street gangers/civilians are a good representation of the perps found in the comics. Obviously it's not a true reflection on the comics (which I adore and grew up reading) but I just don't get the hate for it.

It was a fine action movie, just not a very good Dredd movie.

And when I want to watch 90s Stallone action I'll go for Demolition Man every time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

Big Finish did a series of Strontium Dog audio dramas, starring Simon Pegg. Who is in Star Trek with Karl Urban. Who is Judge Dredd. Whoa, man, it's all connected...

Wait, Pegg was in the SD audio plays? Who was he? Those couple of plays were my favorite of the Dredd ones.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Director: "We need some top-notch set design. A lot of people are counting on us."
Set Designer: "Well, what do you need?"
Director: "The main building, it's gotta look like a shithole."
Set Designed: "Hm..."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dickeye posted:

Wait, Pegg was in the SD audio plays? Who was he? Those couple of plays were my favorite of the Dredd ones.
He was Johnny Alpha, believe it or not.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
It's brutal all right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lMmRe6Z44

I hope they don't overuse the slowmo-gimmick too much, even if it looks quite nice.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 13, 2012

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I love slowmotion so the more the better for me

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kush posted:

It's brutal all right:

I hope they don't overuse the slowmo-gimmick too much, even if it looks quite nice.
I did a doubletake when I realised that the blood splatter actually goes beyond the edge of the frame. Now that's an interesting use of 3D.

I watched the Stallone movie for the first time in a while last night, and noticed some things about it that I hadn't considered before. The main one was how out of place the Judges look; the city and its populace are dark, grimy and damp, while the Judges strut about in their clean, shiny, brightly-highlighted uniforms almost as if they've been greenscreened into the scenes. While that's maybe a way of showing their detachment from the society they're supposed to be protecting, it's also yet another divergence from the themes of the comic; in that, Dredd is the city, both its protector and oppressor. The Judges are the symbol (and in many ways the creators) of this horrible, screwed-up society, not something imposed from above.

Something else that struck me was the ridiculous way the Angel Gang scene turned into a Marx Brothers routine, with more and more people pouring into that one room. The Angels attack Dredd! Hunters attack the Angels! Fargo attacks the Hunters! Mean Machine attacks Fargo! Dredd attacks Mean Machine! (Also, all the rifles in the movie are stupidly huge, so big the actors can barely get their hands around the grips.)

My view on the opening montage has changed over time, though. I used to think that starting with a collection of comic book covers and pages was out of place, but now I see it as the film practically begging the audience: "Please, see this as a comic book movie, A COMIC BOOK! Suspend your disbelief enough to accept our ludicrously oversized firearms and bell-ended skyscrapers and streets full of fetishwear-clad Boy George lookalikes and gleaming Versace golden codpieces!"

Meanwhile in the real world, instant justice gets one step closer.

EDIT: the climax features a large hi-tech set exploding for no particular reason around the hero and villain as they fight, and there's a Cure song over the end credits. Yep, this was made in the 90s, all right.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 13, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kush posted:

It's brutal all right:

I don't mind this clip but im with ya on that I hope they don't overuse the 3D gimmick too much. I did like the oversaturation of color -- it actually made the helmet look nicer to me. You can even see it in the still before playing -- that helmet looks loving AWESOME. Doesn't look too big or anything. Now, maybe at the end he'll get bigger shoulder pads. :3:

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Kush posted:

It's brutal all right:

Looks good. I dig the slo-mo and gratuitous violence. The /Film site had a quick little video review after seeing it. Sounds like a solid movie. Also, it looks like you guys were right in thinking that the rookie is a psychic
http://www.slashfilm.com/video-blog-dredd-harkens-action-films-eighties-comiccon-2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That is not really a spoiler since that is her character from the comic and she is the second most famous Judge. That is also important set up if the Dark Judges are in a sequel.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Gooble Rampling posted:

Also, it looks like you guys were right in thinking that the rookie is a psychic

Since the rookie is Psi-Judge Anderson I'd bloody well hope so.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Whoever said this looks like a cyberpunk version of The Raid: Redemption in the Who Greenlighted This poo poo thread was spot on. I just watched the trailer and that was the exact same vibe I got from it too. Looks loving cool, though. I'll definitely be seeing this.

Sorry to bump this from one of the first posts, but the thing is that the trailer made it look exactly like a late 1970's issue of 2000 AD. Early stories of Dredd were just like what we've been shown. As an old fan I'm not sure if this will be a hit, but it seems to appeal to the kid in me finally seeing a properly done Judge Dredd.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kush posted:

It's brutal all right:

Yeah, this looks like it's gonna be entertaining as hell to watch. I can't wait!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wow I wasn't expecting this to be that violent. Good stuff. Really shows just how dangerous Dredd is. Those poor villains, thinking they had ten minutes to shoot Dredd and Anderson.

Man the lawgiver is cool as heck. And it says high-ex! Not grenade like the Stallone movie. I'm not sure why that super minor detail pleases me but it does.

Really pleased this is getting such positive reviews.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Since the rookie is Psi-Judge Anderson I'd bloody well hope so.
Cool, I just didn't want to step on any spoiler-sensitive toes.

The /Film guys even mention something about her (I guess) getting a read off of Dredd, but she gets stopped before too much is revealed, keeping his backstory more of a mystery for the audience. That and the constant helmet make it sound pretty good.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
This looks great, Dredd looks just like the early Mike Mcmahon B/W strips. people saying the city looks sparse need to look again, at first glance it looks like some skyscrapers with sort of shanty town/slums sprawling around them but if you look closer you'll see the 'small buildings' are regular cityblock sized towers and the 'large buildings' are colossal megacity "bloks". As CG future cities go it's fairly nice and it communicates 'bleak' more succinctly than some wondrous multi-tiered neon dream-scape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

This looks great, Dredd looks just like the early Mike Mcmahon B/W strips. people saying the city looks sparse need to look again, at first glance it looks like some skyscrapers with sort of shanty town/slums sprawling around them but if you look closer you'll see the 'small buildings' are regular cityblock sized towers and the 'large buildings' are colossal megacity "bloks". As CG future cities go it's fairly nice and it communicates 'bleak' more succinctly than some wondrous multi-tiered neon dream-scape.

Over in GBS, I posted this :spergin: Sim City 3000 level some guy did called Magnasanti, which was his experiment at making the most populous city in the game. He did it, but it's a cyberpunk dystopia, with heavy police presence, air pollution everywhere, and the average citizen living a maximum life expectancy of 50 years. After rewatching his video, I noticed the city's layout reminded me a bit of the Mega City shots we saw in the teaser trailer.

• Locked thread