Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

It's a much broader internet thing.

Welp, apparently it's in every modern movie but I've never noticed it as a negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

Welp, apparently it's in every modern movie but I've never noticed it as a negative.

as far as I know, people hate it because it's common. It's common because it's a good style. Like anything, it can be done poorly. Fury Road is great and it's visual style is not in any way a negative.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dan Didio posted:

It's beautiful.

:agreed:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah I don't really care either.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fury Road is unequivocally better than Dredd in pretty much every sense, I'm sorry but it's true.

Dredd is still a really fun film but story-wise it leaves a lot to be desired since it's all just an excuse for a The Raid scenario.

Fury Road atleast has something to say.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Deakul posted:

Fury Road is unequivocally better than Dredd in pretty much every sense, I'm sorry but it's true.

Dredd is still a really fun film but story-wise it leaves a lot to be desired since it's all just an excuse for a The Raid scenario.

And maybe one day you will, too.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

hemale in pain posted:

I really don't get the orange/blue hatred thing. Is it entirely spawned from the movie poster thread mocking it?

It gets done to a LOT of movies. It's also one of those 'once you see it' things. I honestly barely noticed until I watched a youtube video on it and now I see it everywhere.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Disagree! I think a movie "having something to say" is wildly overrated, but as far as it goes I found Dredd's commentary a lot more pointed than Fury Road's, which is so stylised and abstracted it's not all that useful.

e: VVV this too VVV

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 21, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Both movies can be good - dont have to have them ranked.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TWO MOVIES ENTER

Both movies leave, because they're both quite good and let's stop all the fighting.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
my movie can beat up ur movie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I dunno man, Judge Dredd has faired pretty well out there in the Cursed Earth, I'm pretty sure he could take Mad Max

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"THIS DREDD! TWENTY MOVIES ENTER, ONLY ONE LEAVE!!!"

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno man, Judge Dredd has faired pretty well out there in the Cursed Earth, I'm pretty sure he could take Mad Max

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Max was a cop once. I'd like to think that if they ever met up, they'd join forces. Dredd could be an honourary member of the MFP.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Blind Sally posted:

Max was a cop once. I'd like to think that if they ever met up, they'd join forces. Dredd could be an honourary member of the MFP.

Mad Max and Judge Dredd team up in the cursed earth? Sold, get Karl Urban and George Miller on the line.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snak posted:

as far as I know, people hate it because it's common. It's common because it's a good style. Like anything, it can be done poorly. Fury Road is great and it's visual style is not in any way a negative.

They might have well shot FR in Black and White since they almost eliminated every other colour. O/B is a super lazy way to make an image "Pop" because they are contrasting colours and people are a little orange hence the opposite is "Blue". It is almost universally a negative as it is done in post and only serves to destroy colour. It also has a nasty side effect of making CGI more obvious since it brings out mismatched elements because of the "Pop". There are good uses of Orange and Blue is when it is baked into the scene like in "Drive" or using unusual film stock in Three Kings. John Wick also does this well by enhancing only the blue so you don't have white people turn into Orange people and when orange does show up, there is a reason for it. The video game equivalent of this is the "brown" filter in an attempt to make everything gritty.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Again: Fury Road is O/B because the desert is orange. The entire landscape that the film is shot in is as orange as your mother's pussy. They had no other options for color palette, regardless of the film's visual style otherwise, and the exaggeration of it gels perfectly with the rest of the movie. What part of this is not clear to you?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Maybe The Raid is all just an excuse for a Dredd scenario...?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Check the original Mad Max. The problem is he went too far. Go do an Image search and look at the un-doctored photos of the scenes. It was a deliberate choice on his part to abuse it to the extent that he did.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Why don't you take this to the Mad Max thread and make some friends?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dredd is great.
Fury Road is great.

I liked dredd better, because it had a story. But thats unfair to fury road because it's not a movie that needs a story. I'm glad they didn't shoehorn character arc or a story in there. The movie was as concise and effecient as it could be.

Bitching about orange/blue in this movie seems really misplaced because it just loving worked. An orange dessert contrasted with the blue sky.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

Mad Max and Judge Dredd team up in the cursed earth? Sold, get Karl Urban and George Miller on the line.
During the whole intro (45 minutes) of the movie all I could thing was that this is definitely cursed earth.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

During the whole intro (45 minutes) of the movie all I could thing was that this is definitely cursed earth.

It's so 2000AD it's ridiculous.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snak posted:

It's one of those things you don't really notice until its pointed out to you and then once you see it you can't stop seeing it which depending on your position on the autism spectrum may or may not drive you completely loving mental

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

oohhboy posted:

They might have well shot FR in Black and White since they almost eliminated every other colour. O/B is a super lazy way to make an image "Pop" because they are contrasting colours and people are a little orange hence the opposite is "Blue". It is almost universally a negative as it is done in post and only serves to destroy colour. It also has a nasty side effect of making CGI more obvious since it brings out mismatched elements because of the "Pop". There are good uses of Orange and Blue is when it is baked into the scene like in "Drive" or using unusual film stock in Three Kings. John Wick also does this well by enhancing only the blue so you don't have white people turn into Orange people and when orange does show up, there is a reason for it. The video game equivalent of this is the "brown" filter in an attempt to make everything gritty.

Memes have tricked you into hating a primary color.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KoRMaK posted:

Dredd is great.
Fury Road is great.

I liked dredd better, because it had a story. But thats unfair to fury road because it's not a movie that needs a story. I'm glad they didn't shoehorn character arc or a story in there. The movie was as concise and effecient as it could be.

Bitching about orange/blue in this movie seems really misplaced because it just loving worked. An orange dessert contrasted with the blue sky.

Fury road has a story and character arcs too, fyi.

I second the motion for a Dredd/Max teamup, only way we could get another Karl Urban Dredd it seems. Even John Wick is getting a sequel, did it really do that much better than Dredd? Nothing against Wick, it was great too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

Even John Wick is getting a sequel, did it really do that much better than Dredd? Nothing against Wick, it was great too.

The Keanu factor was the decider on that one. I don't know the numbers but John Wick was in every Red Box and at the counter of every grocery store and all that. It had a lot more exposure.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The Keanu factor was the decider on that one. I don't know the numbers but John Wick was in every Red Box and at the counter of every grocery store and all that. It had a lot more exposure.

Also, while Dredd is a great film, John Wick is a loving amazing popcorn action movie. John Wick is "turn your brain off" in the sense that they spend the first 20 minutes of the film exactly laying out the character's motivation and backstory so that you can just watch him shoot people for the entire rest of the movie. It's not surprising that it's pretty popular, simply because it's impossibly to be confused by it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

Also, while Dredd is a great film, John Wick is a loving amazing popcorn action movie. John Wick is "turn your brain off" in the sense that they spend the first 20 minutes of the film exactly laying out the character's motivation and backstory so that you can just watch him shoot people for the entire rest of the movie. It's not surprising that it's pretty popular, simply because it's impossibly to be confused by it.

Especially when they picked a dog that you totally believe someone would kill most of a city to avenge.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

moths posted:

Why don't you take this to the Mad Max thread and make some friends?

Nobody's complaining about the palette over there, we're all too busy talking about Tom Hardy's milk fetish and whether or not the movie is feminist or all just an existential illusion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To be fair, I'm the only one posting about my theory that the tanker was actually full of Max's milk, not the wives.

and i'm really blatantly not being serious

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

effectual posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why a few bits of the movie look more grainy? Is it intentional but the pattern is subtle, or did the DP mess up with the film in a few spots, or what?

When I saw it in 3D in the theaters, I remember the grain actually being 3D, as opposed to just covering the screen. It was a really interesting effect.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Wrong threaaadddd.

Pingiivi fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 22, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

LORD OF BUTT posted:

To be fair, I'm the only one posting about my theory that the tanker was actually full of Max's milk, not the wives.

and i'm really blatantly not being serious

I am also being facetious.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Maybe its just me, but I always thought deserts were orange and skies were blue.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If theres no oceans, are the skies still blue? I forget how a sky gets blue.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KoRMaK posted:

If theres no oceans, are the skies still blue? I forget how a sky gets blue.

The oceans are blue because of reflecting the sky. Your bathwater isn't blue, is it? The sky is blue because of the angle the sun's light gets refracted through the air particles.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Water is blue. The reflected sky makes large bodies appear even bluer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

effectual posted:

The oceans are blue because of reflecting the sky. Your bathwater isn't blue, is it? The sky is blue because of the angle the sun's light gets refracted through the air particles.
Ah I had it backwards. Continuity restored.

• Locked thread