Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did Koodo already preemptively notify everyone whose account info had been leaked? (ie, is no news good news for me?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I paid for Public's LTE until this thread mentioned that their "3G" is just capped LTE. Meaning your max bandwidth is 3G-ish but latency etc. is still LTE. I honestly haven't noticed a difference since falling back to "3G".

That said, I am not a heavy phone user where wifi is unavailable, so maybe it's way more noticeable to others.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah unless you want 1080p Youtube videos on your phone Public's 3G product is fine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's not fine at all. All their old plans, Lomé yhe one I had until recently, were full LTE speeds until they decided to choke new plans to slower speeds. It's bullshit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chris Knight posted:

It's not fine at all. All their old plans, Lomé yhe one I had until recently, were full LTE speeds until they decided to choke new plans to slower speeds. It's bullshit.

I don’t get your complaint. Are you upset that public mobile lowered speeds on a plan that you don’t have?

I think it’s dumb but it’s true that most people won’t notice too much since a lot of the pain of true 3G was the latency.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

James Baud posted:

Did Koodo already preemptively notify everyone whose account info had been leaked? (ie, is no news good news for me?)

I got the email. So, maybe? :(

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I paid for Public's LTE until this thread mentioned that their "3G" is just capped LTE. Meaning your max bandwidth is 3G-ish but latency etc. is still LTE. I honestly haven't noticed a difference since falling back to "3G".

That said, I am not a heavy phone user where wifi is unavailable, so maybe it's way more noticeable to others.

That's not bad. I wonder why they call it 3G then. You'd think they could get away with a name like "LTE Lite".

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

fisting by many posted:

That's not bad. I wonder why they call it 3G then. You'd think they could get away with a name like "LTE Lite".

They call it "at 3G speed" which definitely could be improved in its wording.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

less than three posted:

They call it "at 3G speed" which definitely could be improved in its wording.

3G "Max"?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I actually like LTE Lite, where the other service is LTE Plus

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fisting by many posted:

LiTE

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
They want you to think it's bog-standard 3G so that you buy the upgrade

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Dillbag posted:

They want you to think it's bog-standard 3G so that you buy the upgrade

I dunno, last time I was in Canada I signed up for public mobile and despite asking for LTE the CSR was really trying to sell me on a 3G plan that was $20/mo cheaper :shrug:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just looked in the self-serve and you can't buy any 4G upgrade.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

About a year after the unicorn (pre-pay) plan offer, Public Mobile was lobotomized in favour of Koodo being Telus' "budget" LTE brand.

More importantly, they wanted LTE to all be post-pay plans.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 16, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I got the post-pay offer but something went wrong when I tried to transition over and I didn’t care enough to fix it, so I’m riding this cheap plan (since it still has LTE) til whatever point 5g becomes something I want since I don’t see that coming to PM anytime soon.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Welp tried to sign up for Freedom today and their stores are all closed due to covid

Cool cool guess I'll die

e: Found a mall kiosk offering 4gb prepaid byod from Fido for $50/mo, no setup fee. They said as of tomorrow they are closing until April so lucky me.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 17, 2020

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

update: I got charged the $40/line setup fee despite them promising to waive it, also I got charged some mystery amount between $0-$80 for the wrong plan they signed me up for and then immediately changed (the bill does not make the specific amount clear at all)

gently caress the big three, should have known better than to even loving try

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anything other than signing up online by yourself (which is still a crapshoot) is asking for trouble. Don't believe anything told to you at an in person kiosk, even more so the 3rd party like Wirelesswave/TBooth

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I changed my mom over to the 5gb for 50 yesterday as an upgrade from 2\45. This on the Koodo website. Easy peasy

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I didn't know that Koodo won't let you keep your old plan (anymore) when you upgrade your phone.

Guess I'm riding this Blackberry Motion until it dies!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I didn't know that Koodo won't let you keep your old plan (anymore) when you upgrade your phone.

Guess I'm riding this Blackberry Motion until it dies!

I prefer to buy phones outright myself without ISPs. This is one reason why.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Me too. If you can save up the money to buy a phone outright it can be cheaper overall, depending on your plan.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Agreed. My plan works out to the equivalent of a "small tab" Koodo plan with large tab phone choice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hilarious going on kijiji and seeing all the LG foldable phones. How did they talk anyone into those?

Last time I upgraded I actually ended up with a better plan, so its not as bad as it sounds. In fact, I regularly better my plan every year or less, so its not as bad as it sounds that you cant keep it when upgrading.

Jesus, it was only a couple of years ago I was on 2gb for 50 bucks or something. Then went to 3gb for free, 4 for 5 bucks more, 8 for 65, then went to 12 for 60. No complaints

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm only paying Koodo $30/month for 100MB and 200 minutes, and it's honestly fine. Hell, I could switch to prepaid, save $5, and bump that data to 0.5GB (but only have province-wide minutes).

Actually, that idea doesn't seem half-bad.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Strong Stockholm Syndrome energy itt.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I’m paying $36 for 5gb lte on Zoomer/Cityfone/Rogers. It’s not bad but they keep sending me mail about hearing aids and bathfitters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

* gives info said everywhere else at this point *

Never knew that about Telus.

Not said: increase in data caps (anyone surprised?).

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Public Mobile shamelessly just fills their COVID-19 emails with ads for Babylon and other Telus services.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Babylon?

So far, the only time I've received any emails at all has been Telus virtue-signaling during the crisis.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

Babylon?

So far, the only time I've received any emails at all has been Telus virtue-signaling during the crisis.

Babylon by TELUS Health gives you a video call on your phone with a doctor, and then they bill the public healthcare system 2x the rate what it would have been to see a doctor in person at a clinic.

less than three fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 18, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've used 450 of my 12000mb this month

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

less than three posted:

Babylon by TELUS Health gives you a video call on your phone with a doctor, and then they bill the public healthcare system 2x the rate what it would have been to see a doctor in person at a clinic.

How on earth does it make sense for Telus to be involved at all? Why would I not just do a Facetime/Duo call with the doc and cut out the middleman?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

In Ontario there’s OTN which is actually pretty great in my experience. It’s a Gov Ontario non profit telemedicine services provider. Using a third party service like Facebook for protected health data is probably a nightmare for the doc.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

How on earth does it make sense for Telus to be involved at all? Why would I not just do a Facetime/Duo call with the doc and cut out the middleman?

True. But in the grand scheme of things TELUS has been acquiring healthcare companies left and right over the years to build themselves up as a major benefits/pharmacy/health provider.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Because telus is a loving disgusting company and any canadian using them should be ashamed of themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:smith: