Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My upload used to be a Hell of a lot faster though. Closer to 1:1 the first year I had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

As I understood those weren't capped, though, supposedly the newer plans are speed limited to less than LTE.

Yeah mine explicitly said I'd be limited to 3mbps but I'm not seeing it in practise.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

less than three posted:

Yeah mine explicitly said I'd be limited to 3mbps but I'm not seeing it in practise.

Might just be a case where they put it in writing so when it's done nobody can complain?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is Public Mobile still the goto recommendation for BYOD with cheap plans? Specifically, for my parents - they have phones already and barely ever crack a gig a month each.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah. That'd be 23/mo for 1gb, or 33 for 2gb.

If you do it, get a referral code from the Goons already on PM. You get :10bux: and we get $1/mo credit.

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 30, 2020

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Koodo just released some not-poo poo deals on plans for new phones

Edit: unless these are poo poo, in which case I don't know any better.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 30, 2020

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's all poo poo all the way down.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

What's the non-poo poo stuff these days? $35/month is about as much as I really feel like paying, 1gb is a decent bump from my 100mb (I don't really use much data), and I'm in a small BC town.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Zoomer is $36/month for 5gb lte, 800mins, unlimited text/mms. It’s the Rogers network and they’re doing a $50 referral thing if you want.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

What's the non-poo poo stuff these days? $35/month is about as much as I really feel like paying, 1gb is a decent bump from my 100mb (I don't really use much data), and I'm in a small BC town.

From the Koodo screenshot, Tab Small is $10/mo in addition to whatever it says there. If you want a phone subsidy, it's merely okay. If you're doing BYOD don't bother.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I switched my dad over to PM from bog-standard Telus Mobility and there have been no problems at all (yes I'm aware Telus owns PM). As long as you do the number port correctly during signup it's smooth sailing. And let me know if you need a referral code haha just call me Risky Bisquick.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

less than three posted:

Yeah. That'd be 23/mo for 1gb, or 33 for 2gb.

If you do it, get a referral code from the Goons already on PM. You get :10bux: and we get $1/mo credit.

Can you post it? Cheers

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

Can you post it? Cheers

2MM20O (zero-O)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

This is entirely representative of the attention to detail you can expect from Public Mobile.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

less than three posted:

If you want a phone subsidy, it's merely okay.

Yeah that was the idea, but those deals were up for barely a week, so to hell with that now!

Edit: Ah, they're back now. Seems like it's only for existing customers.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 10, 2020

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Endless. (Up to 50gb then we throttle your connection into oblivion)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Not paying extra to tether is kind of nice though.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

Not paying extra to tether is kind of nice though.

What company makes you pay to tether? I've done it on both koodo and public, I thought only americans had tethering blocks or charges?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I might be conflating US plans. It's been a while since I looked at the fine print. :shrug:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

BGrifter posted:

Endless. (Up to 50gb then we throttle your connection into oblivion)

loving 125 a month plus whatever fees Telus adds on. How can they even make a penny with rates like that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone going to try out the new Shaw service? I assume it is on rogers network?

The $0 with $10/1GB is interesting but looking at my usage I am between 3-5GB/mo on my fido plan (which has 15GB/mo) so would be right on the edge to go for the “unlimited” plan for $45 (unlimited=25GB for some reason). Plus $4 for visual voicemail.

https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans

Paying $72 for my fido which isn’t a good deal anymore but was too lazy to move..

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
This is only useful if you’re within range of freedom’s towers. Their plans are pretty sad once you leave that area. That’s what they call “national coverage”. So your unlimited plan turns into 2gb as soon as you get out of that area.

Suppose it’s fine if you’re on shaw, don’t travel outside of freedoms network.

I guess this is the first step in getting rid of the freedom brand or turning it into a sub brand or something.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 31, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ohh right, freedom. Meh.

I had totally forgot shaw was that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is something hosed today? Can't call out to land line, Public Mobile. All circuits busy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
e: woo, does anyone need a pm referral?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

e: woo, does anyone need a pm referral?

Yo hit me up, all of mine left. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Any good recommendations for a cheap non-smart phone for my mom to take with her in the car? She recently bought some LG monstrosity from Koodo and returned it because it was way more tech than she actually needs.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

There's big market of basic, big button, flip phones for seniors. Just google or Amazon for a few mins and you'll have tons of options.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have no opinion, but Koodo has the Coolpad Snap.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

How is shaw mobile for a normal person? My parents already have shaw for TV, internet, and land line (yeah) and they just got their first iphone in tyool 2020. I told them shaw just launched a mobile service and they could probably get in on some good bundle deal - but my mom read reviews and is convinced it's a bad service (she likely just googled 'shaw mobile reviews' and clicked the first result, which is some third party review website full of negative reviews of course). The per-gig $0/mo BYOD deal would actually be pretty good for them I think.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

polyester concept posted:

How is shaw mobile for a normal person? My parents already have shaw for TV, internet, and land line (yeah) and they just got their first iphone in tyool 2020. I told them shaw just launched a mobile service and they could probably get in on some good bundle deal - but my mom read reviews and is convinced it's a bad service (she likely just googled 'shaw mobile reviews' and clicked the first result, which is some third party review website full of negative reviews of course). The per-gig $0/mo BYOD deal would actually be pretty good for them I think.

It's formerly Wind. In my experience, their network sucks rear end. If your parents are not in a major city core, they'll end up roaming a lot and don't get to use all that data.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Public Mobile has an unlimited talk/global text and 2gb of 3g* for $30. (PM me so I can give you my referral code)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/30for2GB-3Gspeed

* It's more like speed-limited LTE. The disclaimer says 3mbps, which is fine for 480 YouTube iirc, or music streaming.

And it uses the Telus Network, which I've found to be pretty good.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Public Mobile has an unlimited talk/global text and 2gb of 3g* for $30. (PM me so I can give you my referral code)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/30for2GB-3Gspeed

* It's more like speed-limited LTE. The disclaimer says 3mbps, which is fine for 480 YouTube iirc, or music streaming.

And it uses the Telus Network, which I've found to be pretty good.

IIRC yes it's speed capped LTE. Limited to 3mbps but you don't get the lovely latency of 3G.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

wow just learned about Call Control on Telus and Koodo. I've been getting so many robocalls lately, I'm so jazzed to get no calls tomorrow.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just got an email from Koodo that visual voicemail is going up a dollar :lol:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Press and hold 1? There's GOT to be a better way!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I wont be able to bring myself to use Ryan Reynolds Telecom even if it is cheaper. And I've used some lovely brands like 7-11, mobiliicty, chatr and old Virgin mobile back when it was all seaside humour and Branson-y.

I'm going to hold out for Ryan Gosling Mobile.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Aren’t they only in the us?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm going to hold out for Ryan Gosling Mobile.

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Acer Pilot posted:

Aren’t they only in the us?

He said he was going to try to bring it to Canada. Who knows what that would even entail though.