Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Squibbles posted:

He said he was going to try to bring it to Canada. Who knows what that would even entail though.

CRTC still hasn't issued a decision on the MVNO issue. Currently there is no mandate for Robelus to permit MVNOs on their network. Hopefully the CRTC will mandate MVNO access (later this year or early 2021), but even if they do, Robelus will not give up that easily. The market will likely remain impenetrable to new entrants without impossibly deep pockets for the time being. TPIAs are still fighting (see the Canadian Internet thread), and that's a 25+ year old CRTC decision.

Mint may have Reynolds, who is Canadian, but the company is not. If MVNOs were allowed, look at what Ting does. Ting is a large MVNO in the US that is headquartered in Liberty Village (Toronto). If you care about this stuff, see what Elliot Noss (Tucows/Ting CEO) has to say when the CRTC decides: https://twitter.com/enoss?lang=en

Robelus loving suck. Reynolds & Mint, Ting, and other MVNOs have an uphill battle and they're not even at the base of the hill yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/crtc-cellphone-affordability-1.5480807

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/16/big-three-reiterate-stance-against-mandated-mvno-access/

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-telus-bell-crtc-deny-resellers-covid-19/

(Disclosure: I used to work for Tucows)

Pivo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Question: I have a toronto 416 number. I moved to a different province years ago and just kept my number/plan because long distance isn’t a thing anymore. I now want a new phone/plan.

Can I keep my 416 area code even though my billing address will be in another province? I don’t care about the area code specifically I just don’t want to go through the hassle of changing numbers since I plan on moving to a third province in less than a year.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ArcaneMan posted:

Question: I have a toronto 416 number. I moved to a different province years ago and just kept my number/plan because long distance isn’t a thing anymore. I now want a new phone/plan.

Can I keep my 416 area code even though my billing address will be in another province? I don’t care about the area code specifically I just don’t want to go through the hassle of changing numbers since I plan on moving to a third province in less than a year.

Yes. Virtually everyone has nationwide calling now so it's not a big deal. You might need to adopt an SK number to get those sweet SK plans though.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

less than three posted:

Yes. Virtually everyone has nationwide calling now so it's not a big deal. You might need to adopt an SK number to get those sweet SK plans though.

In which case get a new SK number with the deal then port your old number over. You might have to port twice depending on who you're with presently.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

shadow puppet of a posted:

I wont be able to bring myself to use Ryan Reynolds Telecom even if it is cheaper. And I've used some lovely brands like 7-11, mobiliicty, chatr and old Virgin mobile back when it was all seaside humour and Branson-y.

I'm going to hold out for Ryan Gosling Mobile.

Yes

ArcaneMan posted:

416 numbers are secret sauce nowadays, harder and harder to get. If you did want to move numbers, see if you can sell the number to someone maybe.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seeking out and paying for a 416 number is the most pathetically on brand Toronto thing ever

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My 647 number has been mine for over 15 years at this point and the last 4 digits spell 'DIMA' (edit: the diminutive of my name). I would never trade it for a 416.

My dad has a very memorable 416 number that he has had since 1997 though. I am jealous.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 21, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Seeking out and paying for a 416 number is the most pathetically on brand Toronto thing ever
Having a 416 cell was a big deal for some people in the early 2000s.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I know the guy who has 416-999-9919 as his phone number.

mewse
May 2, 2006

McGavin posted:

I know the guy who has 416-999-9919 as his phone number.

Well I just called him and he says he doesn't know you

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Squibbles posted:

He said he was going to try to bring it to Canada. Who knows what that would even entail though.

Impossible unless MVNO's are allowed in Canada. CRTC still voting on it all.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Your regdate area code defines who you are as a person

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Nitr0 posted:

Impossible unless MVNO's are allowed in Canada. CRTC still voting on it all.

Ryan Reynolds: More powerful than Wind Mobile in changing the Canadian telecom industry (I hope)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
More powerful than a Chinese telecom or Google Fi at uniting the cartel against him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know anything about APN setting stuff? This is with Rogers.

I'm currently on ltedata.apn which the internet tells me is actually meant for Rocket sticks and tablets. I tried internet.com as some sites mentioned and actually get a better signal from that. Then I tried ltemobile.apn as the internet says that you're supposed to have for a phone, and that has the same weaker signal as the first one.

Will sticking with internet.com break anything? Is it just a placebo? Does any of this affect 5G access?

This is an iPhone 12 Pro that Rogers still thinks is a Galaxy S4.

Edit: I can't hotspot on internet.com. Guess that answers that part.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 26, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ltedata.apn is what mine says.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
To add another page to the countless pile that wireless data is artifically restricted for nothing but profit, TELUS is now offering the following LTE data plans for rural customers:

100GB $60/mo
500GB $75/mo
1TB $110/mo

If you enter an urban address, the offer is not available to you, gently caress you pay $75 for 20gb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao what the actual gently caress

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I wonder if you can fake it with a rural P.O. box... :getin:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

less than three posted:

To add another page to the countless pile that wireless data is artifically restricted for nothing but profit, TELUS is now offering the following LTE data plans for rural customers:

100GB $60/mo
500GB $75/mo
1TB $110/mo

If you enter an urban address, the offer is not available to you, gently caress you pay $75 for 20gb.

Is this like a mandated rural access thing by the government in exchange for spectrum or something?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
sounds more to me like they might actually be worried about starlink

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

sounds more to me like they might actually be worried about starlink

Starlink isn't for cell phones?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

they’re offering those deals in rural areas because it’s the only way to get moderately ok broadband as your primary house internet

i’d buy it as a gov incentive except since when do telcos actually do anything for the money they get

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

So an amerigoon in a Discord I'm in posted the current AT&T plans. Let's so how Rogers™ compares:

AT&T:

Rogers™:

20gb = USD $50*
50gb = USD ~$90*
100gb = USD $132*

* - Unlimited Talk is Canada-only.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What do you guys think of Telus’s “limited time offer” for their Piece of Mind Connect plan (I’m in Ontario). It’s $85/month for 20GB. I’m currently on Koodo’s QC plan and am paying $70/month for 16GB. The draw for me is 5G and eSIM support so I can use a cellular Apple Watch with it.

In QC and MB the same Telus plan is $75/month.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Man I dunno, I'm too poisoned after having PM for so long that I can't stomach the idea of paying that much for my phone bill (ofc if it's your only internet connection, that's a another story).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mr. Apollo posted:

What do you guys think of Telus’s “limited time offer” for their Piece of Mind Connect plan (I’m in Ontario). It’s $85/month for 20GB. I’m currently on Koodo’s QC plan and am paying $70/month for 16GB. The draw for me is 5G and eSIM support so I can use a cellular Apple Watch with it.

In QC and MB the same Telus plan is $75/month.

I feel like we’re on the edge of some better Black Friday deals. Right now Rogers is offering government employees 20gb/month for $50, and there are a few other offers in that ballpark.

Apparently Telus owns a third brand that’s even more of a budget brand than Koodo named Public Mobile or something? I think it’s supposed to compete with Freedom Mobile.

Link for the $50/20gb government plan incase anyone qualifies:
https://order.fvwireless.com/gov#Home

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Neither are the ones they posted. They're home internet plans.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Neither are the ones they posted. They're home internet plans.

They said Telus LTE which is a cellular plan. That's not home internet.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Public mobile competes with smashing your own hand with a claw hammer, where the hammer is swung at 3G speeds

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

BGrifter posted:

Apparently Telus owns a third brand that’s even more of a budget brand than Koodo named Public Mobile or something?

Half the people in this thread have been or are currently on Public Mobile due to their initial deals

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How is the coverage for Shaw's mobile? I live in the BC lower mainland burbs and imagine it's probably hot garbage if you aren't within 50 feet of a cell tower.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Public Mobile is fine if you're not doing a ton of downloading or watching HD 1080p youtubes on the train or whatever. It's also apparently LTE, not 3G, you're just capped at 3G-ish speeds. So you are taking advantage of LTE latency.

Shaw was formerly WIND and their coverage downtown was god awful when I was with WIND. Like zero coverage if I was under a skytrain overpass, in a mall, or even in Rogers Arena. Nada, zilch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

priznat posted:

How is the coverage for Shaw's mobile? I live in the BC lower mainland burbs and imagine it's probably hot garbage if you aren't within 50 feet of a cell tower.

Depends where you are. I'm right in downtown New West and unless I was standing outside on the street, I would have no reception. It was brutal. I tried it about a year and a half ago.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think it was this thread where someone was a call centre worker for WIND and they had a script for when people complained that they had no service indoors.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Depends where you are. I'm right in downtown New West and unless I was standing outside on the street, I would have no reception. It was brutal. I tried it about a year and a half ago.

drat that's pretty much what I imagined.

I'm on Fido/Rogers on an ancient plan they just kept adding more data to but it seems like there may be better options these days (15GB + unlimited talk for $65). Can't complain about the coverage that much although in some of the "dips" in west coquitlam (along como lake etc) you lose connection pretty good.

They are offering me 30GB for $75 but I dunno.

Also why does every place charge more for visual voicemail :mad:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Scudworth posted:

Half the people in this thread have been or are currently on Public Mobile due to their initial deals

I have no idea why but any time I’ve been skimming the thread I substituted Freedom Mobile for Public Mobile.

I was blown away to discover they are different things. Canadian cellular gives me a headache.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Virgin sent me a SIM and a love note wanting me back with a fairly good deal for a lot of data (can't remember details sorry). I was tempted, but I haven't been anywhere without wifi in ages and I don't see that changing anytime soon, so I'll stick with my cheap plan thanks.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Without quizzing friends and strangers everywhere I go, what's the lowest hassle way to check out the signal for different networks?

I'm on the Telus/Bell network but after moving my signal's mediocre. I have wifi calling enabled at home but there are areas nearby where I have no reception at all so I really do want to cross-compare. CellMapper has very little data and is always readings from outside.

Freedom: It looks like you can currently order and activate a prepaid line online with a 30 day plan including some data for $19 (maybe +10 for SIM) and then walk away if it sucks, however I am very confident based on tower density and locations that it will be worse than Telus where I live so why bother?

Rogers, on the other hand, actually does have a couple towers vaguely nearby in locations that Telus/Bell do not, and both locations also have antennas pointed my direction, however terrain and buildings certainly mean no clean line of sight.

I did some looking and the best prepaid deal I can see on that network is $10 for a Chatr SIM + $35 for a month including 2 GB data. HOWEVER, it might also be nice to use an eSIM so I get both networks at once (boy do all Canadian providers' implementations suck - you'll charge $9-10 and hand/mail me a card with a physical qrcode?) and Chatr doesn't do it at all. Rogers/Fido do, but neither have remotely cheap plans with data available right now, although I suppose activating postpaid and calling retentions to cancel after a couple weeks might be a good way to either get one or indeed cancel and only pay for half the month

(Biggest downside of mailed SIM / qrcode is that the current Freedom porting / retention deals all probably expire end of month.)

Anyway, I guess there's no better way? Actually going to a store means activation fees, lineups, and ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I have no idea why but any time I’ve been skimming the thread I substituted Freedom Mobile for Public Mobile.

I was blown away to discover they are different things. Canadian cellular gives me a headache.

Freedom: incredibly lovely coverage, speed, and reliability that was acquired by Shaw, and still has incredibly lovely coverage.
Public Mobile: a Telus acquisition that was nerfed into the stone age of 3G for accidentally offering a (pre-paid, no less) LTE deal that was literally too good to refuse, and wording it in such a way as to be unable to pull the usual telco bullshit to get out of it. Tech support consists of: "lol do it urself m8"

Four years later, and you still can't get a prepaid plan with the amount of data that was offered for that price in Ontario.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 27, 2020