Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

w00tmonger posted:

I mean they tried to do this a bit ago before public backlash made them cancel it

I think someone in legal really hosed up making a lifetime pricing deal for that bad boy. Tons of marketting for it as a "we will never change the price" plan....

Wasn't that before Telus bought Public Mobile? I'm aware they use Telus bandwidth, but weren't they owned by another company when they made that deal? I wish I would have stayed on it and not jumped to Koodo for the extra 6GB of data that I never use, if just for the roaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pivo posted:

Recording all of your interactions with telecoms is a big-brain move we should all emulate ...
not an :emptyquote:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Dillbag posted:

Wasn't that before Telus bought Public Mobile? I'm aware they use Telus bandwidth, but weren't they owned by another company when they made that deal? I wish I would have stayed on it and not jumped to Koodo for the extra 6GB of data that I never use, if just for the roaming.

There’s no “buying” an mvno. They were all started by their parent company to extort more money out of you thinking there is “choices”

Public was it’s own company running its own network at the time. It was a ploy by the big 3 to just get the spectrum that they weren’t allows to buy.

For the last 20 years spectrum management and sale has been hosed. It’s time for some big changes at ISED.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 4, 2021

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

so my dad dropped his phone off of the roof today. luckily, he can get a new one from zoomer already.

any thoughts on these 2 phones?
1. moto g stylus
2. Samsung Galaxy A11

seems like he can get any phone that is available for $40/mo or lower plans: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/devices

thanks in advance.

i'm leaning towards the moto g because his existing samsung seemed kind of slow but i don't know enough about phones to make a good decision

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Edit: just get the G Stylus.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/05/02/moto-g-power-g-stylus-review/

On paper the G Stylus is basically the A51 at the $45 dollar plan, but without NFC.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 7, 2021

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

definitely G stylus. You dont want to be the one getting calls to troubleshoot memory card errors on a phone with an absurd 32 built in and likely 24 taken up by samsung.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

what the gently caress is Babylon by Telus Health and why is it asking me about my liver on youtube?

I thought shoppers drugs marts and rexalls opening doctors offices in back rooms was more than enough business intrusion.

Very excited for Hammurabi by Rogers Anal & Colon Preventative Care Group

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Oh god. I switched to Telus and they must think I’m a boomer or something.

I like the disclaimer at the bottom.

$10/month for a Telus VPN. Also got the goofy Babylon health app email. Telus is weird, but fibre go brrrrrrrrr.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Telus and Norton teaming up. What could possibly go wrong? :downs:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Virgin would never do anything like buying out your existing provider contract to win you over would they?

mewse
May 2, 2006

If I port my cell # to voip.ms and get a tablet sim, will koodo detect I'm using the sim in an iphone and pull service?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

mewse posted:

If I port my cell # to voip.ms and get a tablet sim, will koodo detect I'm using the sim in an iphone and pull service?

I did this with Fido and it’s never come up. Weirdly, I’m still able to make normal phone calls with my phone + Fido SIM, but they’re charged at a high cost per minute. Or per second.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Huh, I had 10GB of data with unlimited minutes for $60/mo with Koodo, BYOD. I wanted more data since I'm away from my hardline connection a bunch these days, I thought I'd have to call in and fight for some measly increase but I logged in to Self-Serve, went to Change Plan, and it had 'Exclusive offer for you' 20GB with unlimited minutes for $60/mo. It switched out exactly like for like and it seems that now I have double the data for exactly the same price.

I'm skeptical. How did Canadian telecom gently caress me this time?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They hosed you by giving any Byod schlub off the street 11gb for $45 no contract for the last year you’ve been overpaying for a while

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They wont do a loving goddamn thing to me besides calling and offering me a second line I dont need every month or two. My mom (who I referred) was doing 5gb/$50 and Virgin was(is?) offering 10gb for the same, so I said call and switch. She called Koodo and they matched it for her. I guess they wont help me cause I'm on the tab. I have like 400 and change left on my phone but if I want to pay it off its actually $800 and change because of some bonus bullshit that they cant waive because its in place to deter people from exploiting the bonus and selling phones for a profit. I just wanna get rid of this damned samsung.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

They hosed you by giving any Byod schlub off the street 11gb for $45 no contract for the last year you’ve been overpaying for a while

Well, my employer has been overpaying, otherwise I'd have been a lot more aggressive in deal hunting. I can spend up to 68 bux if I want to expense it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I got a CPO "Great" condition iPhone 11 Pro on that Koodo deal posted on Redflagdeals yesterday, $306 - $100 in $10 bill credits for 10 months. So basically $206 all in for an iPhone 11 Pro, not bad at all. I was going to be with Koodo for 2 more years anyway since everyone else has terrible pricing and I'm fairly happy with the Telus/Bell network in my area. My ancient Saskatoon plan was only $2 cheaper than one of their midrange tab plans with the same features so I went with that. Should be a nice upgrade on my aging iPhone 8 Plus, though the lack of a home button is going to be jarring.

It's getting harder and harder to find these sorts of deals now that carriers have mostly given up on subsidizing peoples expensive phones. I remember the bonanza 3-4 years ago where you could basically hose the phone company for a change.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Virgin had $45 for 10GB listed on the website so I went through koodo's automated robot to get a rep to call me and asked them if they could match it. They said no. So I called virgin and they said there's no such plan, it's $50 for 10GB. Whatever, I signed up for the $50 plan.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was it $45* ?

*latest trend

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What network is Virgin?

I am thinking of dropping shaw because the reception was just “ok” when I started with them but it seems to be getting worse. Like half the time in the car I get no internet for maps/siri etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

priznat posted:

What network is Virgin?

I am thinking of dropping shaw because the reception was just “ok” when I started with them but it seems to be getting worse. Like half the time in the car I get no internet for maps/siri etc.

Bell.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I got a tablet with a cellular modem but Koodo doesn't let you share your data plan with a tablet, have to go to Telus for that. I think they will sell you a separate data plan for the tablet now though.

Telus has absolutely no incentive to offer me the equivalent of the Canada-wide+20GB/$60 I have with Koodo. They are currently offering $10 off the monthly bill for Koodo -> Telus migrations with a new device over 2 years but otherwise only offering the same plans as on the website, which is like $96 tax-in with visual voicemail for 30GB. Right now I pay $64 tax-in after BYOD discount and Visual Voicemail (lol).

Some people on RFD have had success by transferring out and trying for a win-back or new-customer deal. Really helpful guy on the phone at Telus told me that either way I'd lose my 'awesome' plan (only in the Canadian context is this awesome...) so suggested I hold out for things like Father's Day or Canada Day to see if there are any deals then.

I have to stay on the Telus network -- I can't give up Call Control. I used to get so many spam calls, this feature has actually very much endeared me to Telus. I get zero spam calls now. Not a single one.

Any advice?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Where will you be that you only have a tablet and no cellphone to grant the tablet wifi data via a hotspot from your phone?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Where will you be that you only have a tablet and no cellphone to grant the tablet wifi data via a hotspot from your phone?

Personal hotspot is a huge battery drain on the phone. It's finicky, usually fails to auto-connect even when configured to do so. And while iOS lets you mark the hotspot connection as a limited data connection, I don't think applications will respect the 'Use cellular data' option with this connection.

It's great in a pinch don't get me wrong and it's what I have been doing in the past, but the reason I got the tablet with cellular is specifically to sidestep this jank. Life's too short.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm having the same issue with an Apple watch. Super annoying that I would be forced to move to Telus and so I'm just going go without cellular until they see reason.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pivo posted:

Personal hotspot is a huge battery drain on the phone. It's finicky, usually fails to auto-connect even when configured to do so. And while iOS lets you mark the hotspot connection as a limited data connection, I don't think applications will respect the 'Use cellular data' option with this connection.

It's great in a pinch don't get me wrong and it's what I have been doing in the past, but the reason I got the tablet with cellular is specifically to sidestep this jank. Life's too short.

100% - cellular tablet is amazing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lol at Telus quickly running away from the terrible name choice of “Babylon” for their health app. I heard it in a radio ad this morning that it’s “Telus myHealth “ now. They must have been sick of getting angry calls from the Rasta community.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Anyone familiar with commercial/business aspects of service providers. I have been tasked with reviewing the company phone plan and negotiating a new contract. My usual approach is to just speak with the relevant departments for the big three (Rogers, Telus, Bell) and create a comparison chart for the higher ups to review before making a determination.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lol at Telus quickly running away from the terrible name choice of “Babylon” for their health app. I heard it in a radio ad this morning that it’s “Telus myHealth “ now. They must have been sick of getting angry calls from the Rasta community.

It always made me think of Ali G.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Levin posted:

Anyone familiar with commercial/business aspects of service providers. I have been tasked with reviewing the company phone plan and negotiating a new contract. My usual approach is to just speak with the relevant departments for the big three (Rogers, Telus, Bell) and create a comparison chart for the higher ups to review before making a determination.

What specifically are you looking for? By phone plan do you mean cell phones?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

What specifically are you looking for? By phone plan do you mean cell phones?

Yeah, mobile phone plan for roughly 10 lines. I have done some initial work on it and customer service may be even worse than it has been in the past. Rogers so far seems to be offering the best support and overall plan. Something I'll need to look into is if it would be more affordable to purchase devices separately than deal with complications that come with financing them through a plan.

Levin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 15, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just got a 5g capable phone, how are the carrier options in BC lower mainland? It’s just Telus and Rogers right?

I’m still looking to move off of Shaw because the service is kinda crappy but man, the plans from those two really suck. (Big surprise)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So it appears that, through my employer (EPP), I can get either Rogers or Telus service at Freedom prices. 30% discount of the service fee basically for the 15gb + Canada Wide anything plans (for both), usually $80, around $56. Activation fee also waved in the the case of Telus.

Tbh I've been happy with Freedom for the most part, but I can't ignore that the network isn't as good and turning on roaming in areas near the US border is a dangerous game.

Phone wise, I want a Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G and only Telus has it in stock in black on EPP. Rogers has it in bronze, Freedom list it but it's out of stock.

Also, in Telus' case, I've already got Fibre through them. Does anyone know if EPP discount stacks with the multiple service discount?

Also just help me make the decision, I'm still picking between the big 4 now (in BC).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

priznat posted:

Just got a 5g capable phone, how are the carrier options in BC lower mainland? It’s just Telus and Rogers right?

I’m still looking to move off of Shaw because the service is kinda crappy but man, the plans from those two really suck. (Big surprise)

Don't know about Telus/Bell, but Rogers definitely has widespread 5G in the GVRD and it works great.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I recall reading a while ago that all the big providers were obligated to share their towers with other providers which suggested to me that their range/coverage was the same. Does the quality of the reception vary based off something else?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Levin posted:

I recall reading a while ago that all the big providers were obligated to share their towers with other providers which suggested to me that their range/coverage was the same. Does the quality of the reception vary based off something else?

I believe they have to provide access to the towers but installing equipment on the tower is still up to the provider, so not all towers have the same equipment. Eg one tower might have telus stuff that supports their frequency range but not Rogers

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rooted Vegetable posted:

So it appears that, through my employer (EPP), I can get either Rogers or Telus service at Freedom prices. 30% discount of the service fee basically for the 15gb + Canada Wide anything plans (for both), usually $80, around $56. Activation fee also waved in the the case of Telus.

Tbh I've been happy with Freedom for the most part, but I can't ignore that the network isn't as good and turning on roaming in areas near the US border is a dangerous game.

Phone wise, I want a Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G and only Telus has it in stock in black on EPP. Rogers has it in bronze, Freedom list it but it's out of stock.

Also, in Telus' case, I've already got Fibre through them. Does anyone know if EPP discount stacks with the multiple service discount?

Also just help me make the decision, I'm still picking between the big 4 now (in BC).

Mobility EPP doesn't count for bundle discounts.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I want a basic brand new iPhone 12 for $0 upfront that I get to keep after a 2 year contract. Is freedom the cheapest advertised deal at 75$ plus tax with a 20 gig plan? I don’t really care too much about the data amount. I just need to make good on a birthday promise and COVID seems to have sapped all the back to school deals where once they’d throw iPhones and gift cards at you.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Freedom is toughening up bigly in advance of the Rogers takeover. I tried to get a better than advertised plan out of them after my contract and discounts ended and had to talk to some 4 increasingly stern russian sounding men as I went through the pathway to retentions. They were resolute in their limitation of only being able to offer my loyal self and extra ten dollars off in the first year of a two year contract.

Today on the website they have a sale for $10+$50 for base model iPhone 11s so I went with that. Their last two months of website offerings for absolute zero phones have been Panaphonics & Sorny class devices so I have no hope of not paying for an apple left in me.

I miss the old freedom. Miss that desperation. Time to put them out of their misery, Ted Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am still on Shaw and man the coverage is such poo poo, I hate it. But I may be relocating so I don’t want to jump into a telus/rogers contract just now and plus :effort:

Shaw has weird inexplicable dead spots as well that I cannot figure out.

Plus the wifi go thing is annoying and always sends me to a page to accept some T&C so it is never smooth to connect.

Shaw bad