Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Podcasts seem to be the biggest hitter for me. This is easily solved if I’d just download them at home instead of trying to find something new on my daily jog, but it’s just never really mattered until I started to consider moving off of an “unlimited” data plan. Now I’m kind of worried it’s too muscle-memory.

I’m pretty sure I have Overcast set to auto-download my subscriptions but somehow there’s always something wrong where it either misses, doesn’t download, or.. Not sure, haven’t put too much thought into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

So unreal to me that there are still people with single digit amounts of data, most of which who still think they're getting a great deal. Talking to a goon irl the other day who I believe said he had 1 or 2gb :psyduck:

I guess on the flipside you cant blame people when it was so bad for so long. But theres no reason to not have lots of data and use it freely these days.
I used 8GB of data over 14 months. It's the other features of my current Rogers plan that is keeping me there for the time being.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I pay $10/month with ShawMobile for unlimited talk/text. If I wanted data, it's $10/GB, good for 90 days. Now that is expensive, but barely go through half of it, so I pay maybe $15/month overall.

Unlimited data plan is $45/month, but I'd rather keep the money to be honest.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Exactly that. Paying less for a single digit amount of data is a better deal if you legitimately don't need more.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

I apologize if this isn't the proper thread for it, but I've decided to finally probably get a celphone and I'm terrible with getting tech stuff 'right' so I'm nervous about the process.

I'm likely going to just go with the 15 or 25$ Public plan, and they have phones with sim cards pre installed on their site. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section#phone-start I kind of wouldn't mind getting that 15gig/40$ a month deal but that ends tomorrow so I'm not even close to being soon enough for that.

I'm leaning towards the Samsung A13 I guess, but online opinions seem to vary wildly on it. I'd honestly likely only be using it with wifi for any data things, and mostly just for having a phone and texting available. I guess having access to games would be a plus, which is why the A03 is ruled out. Also having access to geforce now on it could be a plus as well.

Has anyone had experience with buying phones from Public in terms of how good they are, and how good they are with potential warranties? People on a reddit thread mentioned that the A13 slowed down after a few months, and opinions on it vary from it being a great value phone to it being the worst thing that's ever happened to humanity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

But theres no reason to not have lots of data and use it freely these days.

I don't want to pay more than $40 for a phone plan. Especially with how insufficient Ontario Works is.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 31, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

So unreal to me that there are still people with single digit amounts of data, most of which who still think they're getting a great deal. Talking to a goon irl the other day who I believe said he had 1 or 2gb :psyduck:

I guess on the flipside you cant blame people when it was so bad for so long. But theres no reason to not have lots of data and use it freely these days.

I think it's mostly the average person just has no idea, people in threads like this are an incredibly miniscule minority in the know. With WFH changes, ubiquitous wifi, people just don't give a poo poo either.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I wasn't gonna hop on the public mobile deal on this thread but it made me check my offers on the koodo self-serve website and I switched from $45 for 5GB data to $45 for 20GB data, so thanks thread. This is in Manitoba and it said "offer just for you" so IDK how many people will see it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mewse posted:

I wasn't gonna hop on the public mobile deal on this thread but it made me check my offers on the koodo self-serve website and I switched from $45 for 5GB data to $45 for 20GB data, so thanks thread. This is in Manitoba and it said "offer just for you" so IDK how many people will see it

yeah a lot of the second-/third-tier brands are offering similar deals atm

Scudworth posted:

thank you mediaphage

np bud

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I switched my account over to the deal and then almost immediately got a text about the same deal. :confused:

I don't need that much data right now, but to be able to stream music whenever and not worry about it would be nice.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

codo27 posted:

Most goons are technologically stunted still using that Core2quad intel cpu, 970vtx price error windfall and antec Sonata case combo that was the de rigeur goon computer from a decade back.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

oops wrong thread to complaint about canadian things

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 5, 2022

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

shadow puppet of a posted:

Most goons are technologically stunted still using that Core2quad intel cpu, 970vtx price error windfall and antec Sonata case combo that was the de rigeur goon computer from a decade back.

I just realized my computer is 7 years old and I still hate to replace it as it generally runs well as no I e does go storage anymore

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

shadow puppet of a posted:

oops wrong thread to complaint about canadian things

There’s a thread for that?? Why was I not informed

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The original, true and honest Xbox One thread has undergone extensive renovations in its nine year tenure and can accommodate a staggering variety of topics and takes.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Full Ryze Consequences is CanCon

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

I just realized my computer is 7 years old and I still hate to replace it as it generally runs well as no I e does go storage anymore

You should upgrade your computer it’s dropping inputs

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wifi calling has been poo poo for me for a while, partially because I have this stupid Pixel. But I'm wondering if anyone knows of any router settings that might cause issues with it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm moving my mom from Bell to Public Mobile tomorrow. Anything special I need to do? the public mobile website has the instructions for porting her number, right?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The last two times I've moved it was shockingly smooth and simple. Bell to Virgin and then Virgin to Public Mobile and both times I was left thinking, "that's it...?"

I even called up Virgin after to make sure everything was canceled and they said, "Yeah we get the request to port the number away and then your account is closed, no chance of being billed accidentally after."

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

codo27 posted:

Wifi calling has been poo poo for me for a while, partially because I have this stupid Pixel. But I'm wondering if anyone knows of any router settings that might cause issues with it?

Sadly I don't. Personally I'm on Koodo I'm very regularly getting alerts that there was a problem with wifi calling and it makes me go through the setup again. sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day and sometimes it's fine for a week or so before breaking again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

codo27 posted:

Whenever I'm depending on wifi calling, I put my phone into airplane mode first then turn wifi back on. No chance of trying to switch to mobile.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm on koodo as well, but we have a lot of people at work who have trouble and the company is with bell.

Its been noticeably worse since I went from the S20 to the P6, almost every day I get home from work now I'll have the ! in the signal icon and have to put the phone in the window where I get one bar, turn off wifi calling and then turn it on again.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

lol so I almost pulled the trigger on a Pixel 7 upgrade with Koodo but to get the discount I had to switch my plan to one of the new Tab Mid ones.

On the surface it seemed fine. Going from $50/month for 12GB to $55/month for 20GB but in the fine print I noticed all the new plans I could choose are limited to "4G Speed" not the "4G LTE Speed" my current plan has, which digging into it is Koodo speak for capping your mobile speeds at 100Mbs.

However they advertise this whole pick a perk system where one is to double your cap to a "blisteringly fast" 200Mbs except that's only available on certain plans and none of the ones apparently available with the deal.

What the gently caress Koodo lol.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It sucks but c'mon when do you need >100mbps on your phone?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

It sucks but c'mon when do you need >100mbps on your phone?

To brute force a connection inside a Loblaws

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What would be a good deal for 2 people who dont have a phone in toronto? Looking for cheaper or budget options and gonna shop on friday, but dont really know which services to look at.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Things are crazy this week for 20gb plans. People are getting one line for $35 and a second for $30 for 15 months by visiting the right fido-reselling mall kiosk. Virgin mobile and koodo are competing as well with a similar offer. But it’s all highly dependant on where you go. Red flag deals has several threads with specifics.

But, those are all BYOD deals. So you could pair that with a used xr, 11 or 12 iphone. Or surely there is a glut of semi-modern android phones on your local fb market place if you want to spend the bare minimum.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It seems they've altered the deal:

"Fido: 20GB LTE at $30/m for first line; then $25/m for second line"

Alleged to be active through Cyber Monday at Fido mall kiosks.

Fido.ca has shut down their customer support options via online chat and over the phone today, calling it "an exceptional shutdown" during their posted business hours

So everyone hustle out to a mall and get to porting.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The gently caress is a mall?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you haven't noticed - Many of those recent 20G/$45 plans can now be upgraded to 50G/$45. There's a complete war in the consumer space happening right now in Canada for the US thanksgiving weekend.

Hit the redflagdeals forums for the latest, but there's 100G/$55 plans available from Bell/Rogers - Pixel 7 phones are going for $10/24mo - but even then kiosks are giving out $250 giftcards on top of that, so like free current gen phones.

Go get upgraded if you can!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Up to 100Mbps" lmao

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

unknown posted:

If you haven't noticed - Many of those recent 20G/$45 plans can now be upgraded to 50G/$45. There's a complete war in the consumer space happening right now in Canada for the US thanksgiving weekend.

Hit the redflagdeals forums for the latest, but there's 100G/$55 plans available from Bell/Rogers - Pixel 7 phones are going for $10/24mo - but even then kiosks are giving out $250 giftcards on top of that, so like free current gen phones.

Go get upgraded if you can!

I grabbed a $35 / 25 GB today at the mall, took about 20 or so minutes to get it done. They wouldn’t port in store because of how busy so I just did that at home a little later

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/mobile-klinik-updated-faqs-koodo-30-20gb-35-25gb-40-50gb-now-full-24-months-100-store-credit-2580082

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
lol so many people rushing in to stores to grab the dollar a month iPhones and then immediately throwing them up for sale on kijiji or FB marketplaces

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I managed to switch my Rogers $65/25gb (that I only activated last week) to $55/100gb with US roaming. Took an hour on hold with retentions, but it worked.

Unfortunately there’s nothing nearly as good for new activations at that price. It’s $80/mo for them on both Rogers and Bell for the same as my $55. I was trying to get my wife switched of over because Public Mobile doesn’t work properly here and will only work until Bell or Rogers switch off HSPA.

PubMo doesn’t include VOLTE, (not sure about Koodo/Fido/Virgin) but there’s no Telus towers here and because it doesn’t support VOLTE it’s for some reason limited to HSPA only. It’ll say it’s connected to LTE it won’t work for calls text or data. Apparently it’s some bullshit with their tower sharing agreements.

It took me 3 escalations with their tech support to find this information out. They outright told me get off PubMo and upgrade to a real carrier or you’ll get cut off when the towers get changed. And when they told me this they wouldn’t offer me any price matching. Hooray for northern MB!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

St_Ides posted:

Unfortunately there’s nothing nearly as good for new activations at that price. It’s $80/mo for them on both Rogers and Bell for the same as my $55. I was trying to get my wife switched of over because Public Mobile doesn’t work properly here and will only work until Bell or Rogers switch off HSPA.

PubMo doesn’t include VOLTE, (not sure about Koodo/Fido/Virgin) but there’s no Telus towers here and because it doesn’t support VOLTE it’s for some reason limited to HSPA only. It’ll say it’s connected to LTE it won’t work for calls text or data. Apparently it’s some bullshit with their tower sharing agreements.
Yeah, dunno. PubMo & Koodo are Telus, Fido is Rogers, and Virgin is Bell, if that helps any.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah, dunno. PubMo & Koodo are Telus, Fido is Rogers, and Virgin is Bell, if that helps any.

They said that regular Telus would continue working. Just that Public doesn’t support the right stuff to keep working. Seems dumb but Canadian telecom is like being robbed by Kafka.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Long lines at every single cellphone kiosk and store at square one today. Except the Bell and Rogers stores natch. Those were empty. To preserve the brand integrity I suppose.

This orgy of switching will create a cicada like cycle of 15 monthers needing renewal and to molt our cellular carapaces.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
This year is like the 6th time I've carrier switched on Black Friday. It really does seem insane that they encourage this, especially since all the brands are just two companies. Why are they giving me a thousand dollar phone to switch between their two subsidiaries? How is this even making them money? The bring your own device plans are often not even cheaper so you may as well take the free/discount phone. It's all so wacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://apple.news/Ay4FMKhgsR4WBPBHE68iQ2Q

quote:

CRTC rejects Telus' request to charge processing fee on credit card payments*

* In Alberta and British Columbia