Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I'll try to reset the network settings. But there is no 3G icon nor the Edge icon. Celluar data is on as well.

If this is a very sudden/recent issue it could also be just a problem with the towers/network in your area and not necessarily your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Can I haggle if I change carrier? I'm with fido in Quebec right now with a terrible phone and no data and my plan expired last month. I want an iphone, and the cheapest plan they offer me is 50$/month for :
-unlimited texting
-150 day mins/unlimited ingoing
-evenings & weekends from 5pm.
-500mo of data.

Trying to haggle with them by cancelling, they offered me free voicemail/caller id and wouldn't go over 500mo saying ''they don't offer more data''.

I'm a student but member of a professional network and they offer this amazing plan with Telus for 50$/month. It includes iphones :
-250 text messages
-voicemail/caller id
-200 day mins/unlimited ingoing
-evenings & weekends from 6pm.
-6go of data. (holy balls).
-250$ activation bonus. (basically free iphone?)

However I'm an avid texter and I know I will bust that 250 messages limit. They are also offering a similar plan with the same everything but 28$ plan with unlimited texting, 400 mins and no data.

Can I bargain on offers like that for unlimited text messaging for the data plan? I'm kinda bad at haggling :(.

edit : VVV thanks for the info, I'm calling tomorrow :).

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 5, 2012

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Grimarest posted:

Can I bargain on offers like that for unlimited text messaging for the data plan? I'm kinda bad at haggling :(.

Yes and refuse to switch until a rep offers unlimited texting. If they don't, hang up and try again.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Grimarest posted:

I'm a student but member of a professional network and they offer this amazing plan with Telus for 50$/month. It includes iphones :
-250 text messages
-voicemail/caller id
-200 day mins/unlimited ingoing
-evenings & weekends from 6pm.
-6go of data. (holy balls).
-250$ activation bonus. (basically free iphone?)

However I'm an avid texter and I know I will bust that 250 messages limit. They are also offering a similar plan with the same everything but 28$ plan with unlimited texting, 400 mins and no data.

There must be a specific rep or location that offers this plan? If you contact that person you should be able to add on a package to increase the number of text.
That activation bonus awesome, and it sounds like a great plan.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Sorry I'm sure these type of questions come up often, but will an unlocked Motorola XPRT work with Telus?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xprt-3946.php

Or the Spice Key?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_spice_key-4046.php

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

never happy posted:

Sorry I'm sure these type of questions come up often, but will an unlocked Motorola XPRT work with Telus?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xprt-3946.php

Or the Spice Key?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_spice_key-4046.php

Yes to both

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hahahah loving Rogers

You can opt out of "promotion" SMS messages, but I just got a text message:

"Rogers svc msg: Loyalty has its benefits like a new smartfone for $0 when you sign up for a new term! Enjoy exclusive savings on an upgrade with our thanks. Call 1 877 508-1788 today for details. Conditions apply."

So I am loving steamed. I call 611 and spent five minutes trying to find the right menu that took me to the most appropriate representative before just hitting zero. The (admittedly nice and helpful) girl I got spent 10 minutes trying to figure out some way to figure out why I received this. Eventually she saw that there are certain "exemptions" to what you unsubscribe from, and apparently this is like "account information" as opposed to "marketing"

Bull. loving. poo poo.

Seriously, I don't know why I'm getting so mad over such a small thing. It's so inconsequential -- just a single text message -- but I am finding that I'm just incredibly livid over this.

e: I feel like I need to append that I was incredibly polite and friendly to the CS rep -- they're just doing their job; lovely text messages in no way their fault.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Back when I had Rogers, that setting mysteriously reset itself once in a while, and I kept getting the messages every few months.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I bitched about it on Twitter and their help twitter account replied asking me if I tried https://your.rogers.com/newsletter/opt_out.asp yet, which I hadn't. I filled it out but somehow I sincerely doubt that it will make any difference and I'll get another text message next month.

But that did make me wonder why they have two separate opt-out forms. Why don't they put that under the marketing permissions tab of your account on their website? Why would this be any different from unsubscribing on that retarded three-checkbox twisted-logic form I posted about earlier.

(Because their website is a giant piece of poo poo, that's why)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mobilicity has been pretty good, not a single ad yet. The only downside is every week before my bill is due I'll get a text saying "PLEASE PAY YOUR BILL IN A WEEK OR YOU WILL BE >>>CUT OFF<<<!!!!" and then again a few days later. And then again on the day.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I still remember when Rogers locked my HTC Dream because they presumed I had the 911 problem when I repeatedly told them that I didn't. I should have used the issue as grounds to get out of my contract when I made a phone call and they redirected my call to their call centre.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My sister has been complaining to me about an automated bill-collection number hassling her Rogers phone to try and find who was presumably the previous owner of the number. She tried calling Rogers, and they said they won't block individual numbers. I find this hard to believe - they really have no facility for doing this? They offered to change her number, which is of course a highly unsatisfactory baby/bathwater solution.

edit: She has an iPhone 3GS, so there's no on-device solution to this.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Lexicon posted:

My sister has been complaining to me about an automated bill-collection number hassling her Rogers phone to try and find who was presumably the previous owner of the number. She tried calling Rogers, and they said they won't block individual numbers. I find this hard to believe - they really have no facility for doing this? They offered to change her number, which is of course a highly unsatisfactory baby/bathwater solution.

They're probably telling the truth. Bell can't do it either as far as I can see. There is probably some technical reason behind it, but hell if I know what it is.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

I had a similar problem with my new phone number, kept getting calls from some weird collection agency in London (Aktiv Capital or something like that). I tried to tell them several times that I was not the previous owner but they wouldn't take me off the list without giving them my SIN and gently caress if I'm going to give that to some random call center people. Of course once they get a live person its like a shark smelling blood in the water, I started getting 3-5 calls a day from different numbers which is apparently a common trick to get around collection agency call restrictions.

Anyway, my phone had no way of blocking the number and the apps on the android market to do it were buggy. I called Wind and they wouldn't do it either but I found a workaround. I basically made up a contact called Moron Spammers and added every single number of theirs to it then ticked off the straight to voicemail box in the contact details. iOS must have an equivalent somewhere. 99% of the time their automated dialers hang up before hitting the VM recording and I never see the calls so I am happy. It's not a true block but its as close as you will probably get without getting your lawyer to send a letter to the company insisting they block a number.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cacator posted:

I want to get the Galaxy S3 but still have 13 months left on my current contract with Telus. I can trade in my current phone (HTC Desire) and get a $40 credit for my cancellation fee and get it before July 10 for their dumb "no activation fee" promotion or I can go through retentions and possibly see if they can offer a better plan (currently on $65 with 1 GB data and 200 minutes etc.). What can I realistically expect from retentions, given that I am a lazy man and would prefer not to do it?

I considered switching to Wind but I want LTE.

What can you realistically expect from retentions?

Depends on how much you're willing to negotiate. Find a promotional plan from another carrier that you really like (even the Bell Business plans that show up on Craigslist) and use it as a base. You can get retentions departments to do some whacky things if you're persistent, especially if you're due for an upgrade or renewal.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm moving to Saskatoon at the end of the month, and I'm wondering how Telus's coverage in Saskatchewan in general is.

When I worked for Telus, they only provided CDMA in Saskatoon and Regina and analog everywhere else. Well, analog is gone now and the coverage map implies HSPA is available all over Saskatchewan.

How is the coverage really? I know they fluff it up on their site just to make it look better. I'd like to not leave Telus as I'm on contract and don't want to deal with the hassle beyond changing my phone number.

For the record, I have an iPhone 4, and my new job will take me all over Saskatchewan. Just how screwed am I? Is there anything weird like data doesn't work outside of major city centres, even though the coverage allows it? Should I be looking at switching to Sasktel?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 6, 2012

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Snuffman posted:

I'm moving to Saskatoon at the end of the month, and I'm wondering how Telus's coverage in Saskatchewan in general is.

When I worked for Telus, they only provided CDMA in Saskatoon and Regina and analog everywhere else. Well, analog is gone now and the coverage map implies HSPA is available all over Saskatchewan.

How is the coverage really? I know they fluff it up on their site just to make it look better. I'd like to not leave Telus as I'm on contract and don't want to deal with the hassle beyond changing my phone number.

For the record, I have an iPhone 4, and my new job will take me all over Saskatchewan. Just how screwed am I? Is there anything weird like data doesn't work outside of major city centres, even though the coverage allows it? Should I be looking at switching to Sasktel?

I've been here for a month now and the coverage is fantastic. I don't think there's a province in the country with better blanket coverage. I've got a Rogers, Telus, Bell and SaskTel SIM and all but the Rogers ones work great. Bellus roams off of SaskTel and as far as I know, you can get reception anywhere that more than four or five people live. My cousin has a farm way out in the boonies near some shithole named Humboldt and I had five bars and he lives in the middle of nowhere.

I'm in the same situation you are where I'm travelling all over, though to be fair you might be travelling in more remote areas. I haven't run into any data issues anywhere either. I don't think I've had less than three bars anywhere yet except in Lawson mall which I think is due to merely network saturation.

http://www.sasktel.com/search/controller/_/N-cj for reference, it'll be the same for Telus. Just click Saskatchewn 4G which will give you the map for your iPhone or any other HSPA+ [SIM] phone.

tl;dr You are fine and don't need to switch to SaskTel unless you really want unlimited data [which is actually pretty sweet to have].

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 6, 2012

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

I had a similar problem with my new phone number, kept getting calls from some weird collection agency in London (Aktiv Capital or something like that). I tried to tell them several times that I was not the previous owner but they wouldn't take me off the list without giving them my SIN and gently caress if I'm going to give that to some random call center people. Of course once they get a live person its like a shark smelling blood in the water, I started getting 3-5 calls a day from different numbers which is apparently a common trick to get around collection agency call restrictions.

Anyway, my phone had no way of blocking the number and the apps on the android market to do it were buggy. I called Wind and they wouldn't do it either but I found a workaround. I basically made up a contact called Moron Spammers and added every single number of theirs to it then ticked off the straight to voicemail box in the contact details. iOS must have an equivalent somewhere. 99% of the time their automated dialers hang up before hitting the VM recording and I never see the calls so I am happy. It's not a true block but its as close as you will probably get without getting your lawyer to send a letter to the company insisting they block a number.

Yeah, I'm dealing with this too right now. Switched my number recently and almost immediately kept getting calls from a company called IQOR. Added them to my contacts and made sure "send to voicemail" was checked. Usually catches the calls immediately.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Zeeboi posted:

Yeah, I'm dealing with this too right now. Switched my number recently and almost immediately kept getting calls from a company called IQOR. Added them to my contacts and made sure "send to voicemail" was checked. Usually catches the calls immediately.

It's infuriating that those companies can legally just harass you day in and day out. They are chasing some dude with a totally different name and one of the more inexperienced reps admitted it was like a 9 year old debt which is stats barred anyway according to googling I did.

Someone told me to get my lawyer to send them a letter and I think that's what I'll do eventually if they start filling my VM box. He'll probably want $500 to send the damned thing though :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Print up some fake letterhead from a fictional law firm and send it yourself. I doubt they're going to check up on that sort of thing.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Sagebrush posted:

Print up some fake letterhead from a fictional law firm and send it yourself. I doubt they're going to check up on that sort of thing.

From the office of Bob Loblaw, attorney at law.

For content: carriers don't have the ability to stop specific numbers from calling you. Changing your number is easiest, followed by sending calls from offending number directly to VM. These guys are likely based in the USA or overseas, so I doubt they care to much about Canadian laws/ do not call lists / attorneys.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

The Gunslinger posted:

It's infuriating that those companies can legally just harass you day in and day out. They are chasing some dude with a totally different name and one of the more inexperienced reps admitted it was like a 9 year old debt which is stats barred anyway according to googling I did.

Someone told me to get my lawyer to send them a letter and I think that's what I'll do eventually if they start filling my VM box. He'll probably want $500 to send the damned thing though :(

Call Leonard J. Crabs. He will fight for your right to block calls and make fun of people who have sex with dolls.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

ZeeBoi posted:

I got calls from IQOR too when I signed up for a new plan/number with Fido. Their automated machine would call me twice a day without fail and I spent about two months getting upset about the whole thing. I kept bugging poor Fido reps but they couldn't do anything about it, they did leave a note on my account for a free number change but I never followed up on that.

I eventually caved and followed through with the instructions on the auto-dialer message (press # to be transferred) and it put me through to some lady to whom I politely explained my situation. She asked me for my number, asked if I was [name] and apologized when I told her I wasn't. I never heard from them again.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So I'm going to Montreal at the end of the month. I currently have an HSPA+ Gnex running on a monthly 4g t-mo service. Is there anything decent prepaid data wise in Canada? I have no problem buying a month worth and just letting it go, but it would be nice to have even a little data so I can use maps/fb/twitter. Maybe 500mbs or around that. I'm staying with a friend so I'll have wifi whenever I'm there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Akileese posted:

So I'm going to Montreal at the end of the month. I currently have an HSPA+ Gnex running on a monthly 4g t-mo service. Is there anything decent prepaid data wise in Canada? I have no problem buying a month worth and just letting it go, but it would be nice to have even a little data so I can use maps/fb/twitter. Maybe 500mbs or around that. I'm staying with a friend so I'll have wifi whenever I'm there.

I'm not sure we even have prepaid data up here. And 500 megs?!??! Are you crazy? Who would ever use that much data?!?!? You're gonna need a MAXIMUM SOCIAL $70 a month plan to get that!

For what it's worth, your prepaid options are going to be like: 10 cents a minute local calls, +25 cents roaming, +50 cents long distance, 15 cents per SMS sent or received. Enjoy.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Akileese posted:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/prepaid-plans-summary.html

This is probably your closest to "reasonable" you can find.

$35
Unlimited Incoming Calls
Weekends & Evenings from 7pm
Text to Canada & U.S.
250MB Data

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Has anyone ever bought a phone from expansys.ca?

TELUS discontinued the galaxy nexus, but I'm tempted to just buy one unlocked instead of waiting for the sg3 to become an upgrade option.

It's available for around 450 all in on expansys, which would be better than some dude on Craigslist, assuming the site is reputable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Redflagdeals forums has plenty of people ordering phones from that site, fwiw.

Also this one is a lot cheaper but I _think_ it's the international version.

http://www.canadagsm.ca/SAMSUNG/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Prime-i9250/

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 8, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Has anyone ever bought a phone from expansys.ca?

TELUS discontinued the galaxy nexus, but I'm tempted to just buy one unlocked instead of waiting for the sg3 to become an upgrade option.

It's available for around 450 all in on expansys, which would be better than some dude on Craigslist, assuming the site is reputable.

The Galaxy Nexus is sold for $350 US unlocked direct from Google's Play store if you know anyone in the US. I don't know when/if they'll make it available to Canada though. Also when they resume selling it again next week apparently they'll be shipping with Jelly Bean installed.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 8, 2012

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Zarkov Cortez posted:

The Galaxy Nexus is sold for $350 US unlocked direct from Google's Play store if you know anyone in the US. I don't know when/if they'll make it available to Canada though. Also when they resume selling it again next week apparently they'll be shipping with Jelly Bean installed.

I don't know anyone in the states though, really, so that isn't exactly an option. It seems like Expansys is selling an Eastern European model, so you have to flash the YAKJU image onto it, which is weird.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I don't know anyone in the states though, really, so that isn't exactly an option. It seems like Expansys is selling an Eastern European model, so you have to flash the YAKJU image onto it, which is weird.

I bought one, it came with a giant adapter to convert the Euro plug into a NA one. No other complaints. Expansys cut their price to 410$ for a week when the Gnex was launched on the Play store @400$, so keep an eye out for a possible similar price drop.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Fido no longer offers per-second billing as of July 4

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/03/fido-shifting-towards-per-minute-billing-july-4th/

I just found this out, and is only suppose to apply to new accounts as of July 4. I signed up on July 2, so I'll be calling them up and asking them to verify my billing status.

e: According to wikipedia, they've also "cancelled" CityFido as of that date as well.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 8, 2012

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

Migishu posted:

Fido no longer offers per-second billing as of July 4

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/03/fido-shifting-towards-per-minute-billing-july-4th/

I just found this out, and is only suppose to apply to new accounts as of July 4. I signed up on July 2, so I'll be calling them up and asking them to verify my billing status.

e: According to wikipedia, they've also "cancelled" CityFido as of that date as well.
“Fido will adopt the common billing practice in Canada: per-minute billing..." hahaha! In other words, the common billing practice of gouging your customers in every possible way you can think of. Congratulations on becoming just as lovely as the rest of the oligopoly, Fido.

Thank god for Wind and Mobilicity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have three lines; mine, and two are my parents'. Until now my dad just had a crappy sony ericsson feature phone, but someone gave him a Samsung android something-or-other. He's planning to get it unlocked and hopefully it'll work on the Rogers network. I'll check whether that's legit or not, but I'm working on the assumption that he can get this part done.

He has no data on his plan, never has. He doesn't want to use the phone to browse or anything; just the occasional text message. Is there any way I can call Rogers and ask them to block all data on his line so he doesn't incur any weird charges, or will it just plain not allow him to browse or otherwise use the internet without a data plan?

mewse
May 2, 2006

"The majority of customers should not notice any impact to their monthly bills." hahahaha

e: ^^^^ that's like they're whispering "it's not going to hurt that much" as they get lubed up

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That's pretty bad. It's quite literally the one advantage their plans had over Virgin and Koodo after Koodo got rid of per second billing. Unless it's changed in the last month, they've got some pretty lovely plans and to get an iPhone, Galaxy Nexus or other data-required smartphone you seem to be better off going with even Rogers as lovely as they are. I guess Fido can make a bit of sense for non-data usage but their data plans are loving dismal. $25 for 500 MB still is ridiculous when the data-flex on Virgin and Koodo is available.

Again, I could be wrong and maybe they did some magic since I last sold phones but Fido was always the worst to sell because their activation system sucks, they paid poor comissions, their phone selection sucked, their reception was Rogers [this is not a good thing] and when doing a renewal you quite literally have to call their terrible retail support line to change or even add data.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Martytoof posted:

He has no data on his plan, never has. He doesn't want to use the phone to browse or anything; just the occasional text message. Is there any way I can call Rogers and ask them to block all data on his line so he doesn't incur any weird charges, or will it just plain not allow him to browse or otherwise use the internet without a data plan?

My information may be out of date but Rogers will not block data. Your best bet is to mangle the apn in the device settings, otherwise an errant tap could cost him whatever ludicrous rate they are charging these days. There are software solutions to this, but after two years of Android experience I woldn't trust money to them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh, maybe I'll just get him some kind of baby data plan as a fallback.

I'm (we're) off contract so I'm trying really hard to do everything short of anything that would cause us to have to re-up anything.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
If it's an android phone, you can try turning off Mobile Data from the phone and trust that the option is buried deep enough in the settings that he won't accidentally re-enable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

So I took the plunge and went to Walmart in Canada to buy a pre-paid phone. I had taken into consideration a couple of the suggestions here. However, only one really helped me (gently caress Rogers was the only thing that helped). The reason for that is I just found out that Walmart really only carries Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido and Virgin Mobile.

So I basically thought gently caress Rogers, I'll talk to this female Walmart employee and also read the boxes on the phones. I explained to her that I want a pre-paid phone/plan that won't expire quickly and will also work fairly well in the Port Colborne area. Without hesitation she recommended Telus because they apparently work well in that area due to a decent number of cell towers. I had narrowed it down to Telus and Virgin Mobile, but her comment, the $100/365 day expiry, and the fact that the Telus phone came with a $20 credit sold me. Hopefully I made the right choice.