Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Won't someone think of the telecoms!!
:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cross posting from another thread but I stopped being able to send mms on public mobile and they only announced on their web forum back in February "if you want mms back buy a new phone from us" but my phone is truly not that old also there's people in their forums with newer phones than mine unable to get their service back from customer service. There was of course no better announcement and no reduction in price for reduction in service

Any carriers that aren't bullshit?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Killingyouguy! posted:

you already know the answer to this

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Your phone is from 2018. What OS version is it running?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Your phone is from 2018. What OS version is it running?

10, though my understanding is switching to a non oem android build would be relatively painless (relatively) so I could update if I had a free weekend

But like, mms hasn't changed as a standard since like 15 years ago so not sure why it should suddenly stop working

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

10, though my understanding is switching to a non oem android build would be relatively painless (relatively) so I could update if I had a free weekend

But like, mms hasn't changed as a standard since like 15 years ago so not sure why it should suddenly stop working

MMS hasn't changed. The protocols the phone companies use changed, and your old Android version doesn't support the new protocols. Like my iPhone is similarly old (a 6S) but I wasn't affected on Public Mobile because Apple still gives it essential updates.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Isn't Android os up to like, 13 or 14 now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't Android os up to like, 13 or 14 now?
Yeah. Android 10 is end of life lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's ok to get a new phone every 6 years.

Anyway, if you're displeased with PM and don't need umpteen GB a month you can hop onto:

PC Mobile $29 for 25GB 5G + US calling (no international roaming tho) plus some Optimum bullshit (hail Galen)
A variety of Freedom annual plans, like 30GB/year 4G for $149

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't know annual plans were a thing. Interesting.

Anyone have a "burner" phone? If so, what do you use for a plan?

Is there a super basic annual plan for minimal usage?

I don't like using my "real" number for Kijiji/marketplace stuff. I have several old phones and would like to dedicate one for stuff like that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Do the 7-11 plans still exist?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I use voip.ms for this. $0.85/mo for a DID (phone number) that I rotate whenever I feel like, $0.009 per minute of voice, $0.0075/SMS. Prices USD since that's what they use, but regardless it's still cheap. I use Groundwire as the SIP app, but you can forward calls and texts to another number (or email, for texts. Replies work from email as well).

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Do the 7-11 plans still exist?

They do, my mom is still on one. Not sure what she pays now though, I think pre-covid it was like $25/yr minimum top up or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that 7-11 "speak out" (I think its called?) was one that someone else mentioned. I'll check into it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My wife has been on an old "unlimited" (RE: 15GB then throttled) plan for so long that she finally upgraded - at the time it was real good but obviously not anymore. She went with Koodoo and got $39.99 for 60GB which is more than she'll ever need. Plus $5 off for 10-months. Was quick and easy.

Surprised to see a price that low.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 11, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been on Freedom for years now and just can't complain at all. A couple Black Fridays ago a coworker told me to give them a call and they lowered my bill to a $30/mth loyalty plan. Since then they've arbitrarily boosted my data to 75 GB/mth and added Canada-wide roaming. My loyalty plan still counts as a $50/mth one for stuff like 5G access.

As such I'm afraid to get a new phone on a tab loving it up, and buy outright when I need/want a new one. The one weird thing was that my OnePlus 12 didn't recognise 5G on Freedom, but it works perfectly after using an app to manually set it. (I checked to make sure the phone hardware supported Freedom's band first.)

Also really in love with the eSim feature on modern unlocked phones. $12 for 30 GB data in the USA for a month. Cheaper when I visit Greece later this year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had 2 issues for the year I was with Freedom.

Call drops and crappy connection quality when I found I was between a native-Freedom area and the "national" coverage roaming area. Including staying on the Freedom network when there was basically no signal.

They screwed up on my monthly invoice and each time they tried to "fix" it - made another mistake. It literally took something like 5-6 months to deal with a payment they took twice.

If I were in an area that had good Freedom network coverage and never really left with regularity, I'd have considered not leaving, but Public with the Telus network and some of the smoking Canada/US roaming plans made it tough to justify keeping.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I believe it. I never really had coverage issues in Toronto (some basements were rough) but occasionally did outside the city. I considered that a feature though, I just don't want to be reachable 24/7 especially when I'm away. But I just haven't had any coverage problem at all in around two years.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

shadow puppet of a posted:

Virgin mobile sucks at this winback thing that is very hip right now.

$30 is the new $40 Virg, and anti-price increase disclaimers are the new hotness. Pathetic.

Shoutouts to the Virgins who read this thread because they came back at me with another bad winback offer.

75gb for 35$ a mo for 24 mo via $15 credit so they will still gently caress you by raising that base rate. Oh and its 4G service only. Oh and its also no longer unlimited. They must have had no takers on that sad old $40/60g winback and are trying a new swindle

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 12, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

No Name Mobile exists now. $19/$24/$29 tiers with 1/4/25 GB data plus 1/1/5GB top up bonus, US calling and despite the name, all of the most modern frills like voicemail and call forwarding. No international roaming whatsoever though.

I guess it's just like PC Mobile but different because reasons. I shall not be switching even for ironic gang tag reasons but hopefully it'll put more pressure on the other discount carriers to keep lowering prices.

mewse
May 2, 2006

There's a Loblaws boycott being planned for May to protest their greedflation and increasingly monopolistic presence in this country. Perfect time to sign up for their new cellular service.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have a ridiculously good $30/mth Freedom plan, but I finally ponied up an extra $4 just for visual voicemail. My anxiety thanks me. Still annoying it's extra.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Precambrian Video Games posted:

No Name Mobile exists now. $19/$24/$29 tiers
That sounds decent. I never use more than 1gb and 4 would be "safe". All the other deals keep throwing data at us for more/the same monthly, which doesn't do me any good.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I understand loblaw at large are doing bad things, but we'd be hosed without no frills around here.

Koodo retention called me the other day. I dunno why. Offered the $35/50gb plan, already knew about that. Mentioned their streaming bundle, its not cost effective for us. Mentioned the tablet at $25/month, I'm not dumb. And also offered their home internet, which we cant even use anyway cause we dont have any cell service here. What a waste of time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If you have one nearby, Fresh Co is consistently cheaper than NoFrills these days.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nah, its just NF and Sobeys, and some smaller aka more expensive ones.

Its funny seeing plans capped at 4G cause if you dont have at least LTE (and 3-4 bars) nothing works but calls and texts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I support my local billionaire, Jimmy “the lich” Pattison by going to save on foods.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

Nah, its just NF and Sobeys, and some smaller aka more expensive ones.

Its funny seeing plans capped at 4G cause if you dont have at least LTE (and 3-4 bars) nothing works but calls and texts.

isnt most "4G" in canada just capped lte anyway

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

If you have one nearby, Fresh Co is consistently cheaper than NoFrills these days.

Jane and Laurence fresh co is always a dollar or 50 cents more than its rival no frills across the street. Even as the upstart. I like my no frills. And can’t boycott it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Killingyouguy! posted:

Really surprised this didn't become the new thread title.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Jane and Laurence fresh co is always a dollar or 50 cents more than its rival no frills across the street. Even as the upstart. I like my no frills. And can’t boycott it.

Weird. The one i go to is always less for the same stuff, and has more ethnic options, too.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Last time I went into No Frills the price of a bag of takis chips was loving $4.80, are you guys really sure you're saving there?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Oh I also don't buy anything that's not on sale.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tony quidprano posted:

Last time I went into No Frills the price of a bag of takis chips was loving $4.80, are you guys really sure you're saving there?

I mean, brand name stuff is going to be the same everywhere when it's not on sale.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Totally cellular related, why are potato chips now like $2-3 for discount brands

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

idk about no frills since there aint one near me but the one thing i dont do is buy produce at freshco stores because it rots when you look at it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

I support my local billionaire, Jimmy “the lich” Pattison by going to save on foods.
Last time I went into save on I was loving shocked with how expensive it was. It was literally worse than Safeway/Sobeys and that's saying something.

Sadly, I get my groceries either at that canadian icon walmart and cruise the marked down meat each time or my local ma & pa grocery store in my small bedroom community that still has a full time butcher and real bakery.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Costco or bust baby, just need a small chest freezer and a vacuum sealer to get the most of it. Only thing I don't buy three are the carrots and celery because the portions are too big for 2 to go through before it goes bad

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Why are we talking about getting groceries like a bunch of middle-aged assholes?

Anyway I'm Asian so it's either T&T (Loblaw) or Asian PriceSmart (Jim Pattinson) there's no escape. And we're too cheap to get Costco membership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

waxluthor posted:

Why are we talking about getting groceries like a bunch of middle-aged assholes?

Anyway I'm Asian so it's either T&T (Loblaw) or Asian PriceSmart (Jim Pattinson) there's no escape. And we're too cheap to get Costco membership.

feeling blessed i live a 15 minute walk from an independently owned panasian grocery