Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Redflagdeals forums has plenty of people ordering phones from that site, fwiw.

Also this one is a lot cheaper but I _think_ it's the international version.

http://www.canadagsm.ca/SAMSUNG/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Prime-i9250/

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
GSM Galaxy Nexus is a penta-band phone so you can literally use it on any Canadian carrier.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Touchwiz is alright, for some people anyway. If you want to have the shiniest stock version of Android then you can always get a GNexus (which is like half the price of an S3 nowadays).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wouldn't recommend an S3 for modding because then you'll have to wait for people to port *whatever ROM* from the International S3 or one of the other US S3 variants to the AT&T variant which I think is the same thing as the one we get in Canada. That and a Nexus phone by default is a better developer device and will get all the new updates (and thus new modded ROMs) before any other.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even if it was locked the process of unlocking literally takes one click of a program.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually I just double checked for you, the GNexus is unlocked for any carrier and it's a pentaband phone so it works on any Canadian network (even Wind/Mobilicity).

Also since it's a Nexus phone there are usermade programs that will unlock and let you install any new OS whenever you want. As in, you don't have to re-do anything if you want an OS update aside from download the newest one and flash it. The Galaxy Nexus is literally the easiest phone you can get to customize.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
GNexus has Jelly Bean with Google Now by default, S3 will have some Touchwizzed version of JB with S-Voice.

Also if you get a GNexus on Wind and decide you don't like Wind, it'll work on any carrier in Canada since it's Pentaband.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DarkJC posted:

I think the justification from Rogers' point of view is that the longer you're locked the longer you are required to get their super expensive roaming packages if you leave the country, rather than just picking up a cheap prepaid SIM wherever you visit. And that they "own" your phone until you pay off the subsidy, which is all the cancellation fee is these days.

edit: Not that I agree with any of that, personally. The moment it's in your hand you should be able to use whatever SIM you want with it, as long as you're carrying out the terms if your contract.

Why did they sell me a Galaxy Nexus then? I'm going to be shoving a T-Mo SIM into it later this month when I cross the border.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah, my point was if Rogers' plan for locking phones is so that you don't stick some other SIM in there to avoid paying out the rear end for roaming fees, why would they sell a pentaband factory unlocked phone? Or would the "lost" roaming income from number of people with a GNex swapping in SIM cards as needed be made up for the revenue from said people being locked into a three year plan?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just got scheduled to work every other week in Courtenay for the next two months. The last time I was there the Best Western's Wifi, while decently fast, disconnected and reconnect me every 20 minutes. All I get is slow Rogers HSPA up there as well. Is there a way to rent out like a Telus 4G key for 2 months or am I just forced to wallow in early 2000s era internet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Telus' website claims to have 4G LTE coverage over there and even google has a blurb about them spending a few million bucks to put up LTE towers in that area.

I managed to get my shifts reduced there to two weeks so I think I'll just manage on my poopy phone tether.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was going to post that after tax and shipping the 32gb isn't that much cheaper than from Rogers but holy poo poo that is for the 16gb????

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I ordered late on Thursday and I had 3-4 week shipping turn to 2-3 week shipping into "shipped" on Sunday (dated Monday, Nov 4th). Current estimated delivery time to Burnaby is Nov 12th so that's roughly where you'd be looking at for shipping time if it went out now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Squibbles posted:

Mine is currently out for delivery so I'll either get home to a package on my front step (don't rob me pls, thanks) or I get to wait for UPS to redirect it to my office or travel to some distant depot to pick it up or whatever.

What should I do if I want to back up a game save/profile to move to another phone. Is that something that varies game to game or can I do it manually if I just copy over a file somewhere? Defender's of Texel is the game I'm thinking of to be specific.

I'm working 930-6 today and tomorrow and my N5 hasn't even left the UPS facility yet despite supposedly being delivered by end of day today. Truly the best courier service.

If you want to transfer save games the best way to do it is Titanium Backup, rooting your N5 and then restoring the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Got my 32GB White N5 ordered Oct 31 afternoon (like 3:30PM PDT) at 7:30PM tonight in Burnaby. The UPS site didn't even bother to update me saying it was out for delivery.