Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I bought my 5S unlocked so I could claim tax writeoffs, and now I'm out of contract with Rogers. Currently I'm at $70 for 2 gigs and unlimited voice. I don't really need that much, although 2 gigs is nice I guess. So I'm looking at Koodo's 1GB plan, with the 10% discount for bringing my own phone I could save a solid $14 a month, even more if I go for the lower data option. Is Koodo actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm in BC so probably not. They had better deals a couple days ago but I seem to have missed the boat on those.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Interesting. Do I have to jump through any hoops to port the number over from Rogers?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

less than three posted:

You can get it by signing up for a new Koodo service with an SK phone number and then porting in your BC number with the online self serve.

Lexicon posted:

It might necessitate a few attempts to find a Koodo retailer that will issue you an SK number, but keep trying. The original thread on HF has some fairly good anecdotes about it.

I ported from Rogers onto this and it went swimmingly.
So I kind of dithered on this but it turns out that my coworker knows a guy who knows a guy at Rogers who is going to switch me to some corporate plan. $55 for 6GB and 1000 minutes :whatup:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ja_raul posted:

Check that your speeds arent capped at 3G, you may not get LTE with that corporate option.

It is LTE. The new sim card arrived today and they ported it over. Hooray for nepotism :woop:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Don't mind if I do... :stare:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You should buy the iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey (GSM) Unlocked imo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

I'm on my phone trying to win an argument over the internet here. Can anyone confirm that Sasktel is despised and charges higher rates for worse service than the telcos?
There's a reason why Koodo plans are cheaper in SK and that reason is Sasktel exists.

Also, every telco in this country is universally despised.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 5, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Nope

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

For reference, I pay 56.40 for:
-250 min Canada-wide voice, 6pm evenings
-unlimited Canada-wide messaging
-caller id/voicemail
-6GB data

Yeah I got on one of these through a friend-of-a-coworker. Thank jesus.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Godinster posted:

Using Rogers in BC outside of Vancouver is torture

It's pretty bad but I have an awesome plan so welp.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Get it unlocked for $1029

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Have a Galaxy Note 4 through my office on Rogers. Gonna try to convince them to give my phone to one of the new employees starting in October so that I can get the Galaxy Note Edge 5.
It's okay to prank the new guy, and give him all the bitch-work, but what you're suggesting here is borderline criminal. Have you no soul?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's because iPhones are worth the money and cheap smartphones are junk.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

CLAM DOWN's phone (Nexus 6) does everything an iPhone can do and more for half the price unlocked. iPhone's price is a brand tax, not an indication of quality. It's still a good phone of course.
Crap camera, no force touch, no fingerprint reader, no in-store support. Will probably fall apart after a year. Runs android.

Other than that, sure. Its every bit as good :allears:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol anroid is trash software and you won't even get updates in a few months or whenever Google gets bored of supporting it.

Maybe the person buying the iPhone does in fact want the iPhone features and not some cheesy oversized knockoff :iiam:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 12, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You're the one who jumped down someone's throat completely unprompted for buying a better smartphone than you would like them to have :mmmhmm:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bell is the most evil telecom company, and their network is bad too.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Telus tried to upsell my dad to Optik TV by showing up on his doorstep with a free TV! (Which was too big to fit in his tiny TV cabinet from the 90s and therefore unacceptable at any price.) It's only $10 more a month!*

*for the first 6 months of a 24 month term

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Unlocked iPhones are sold in Apple retail stores.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Buying an open box phone from a vendor is probably safer than some rando on Craigslist. Still no warranty though I assume.

I only ever sell things on Craigslist, never use that to buy things.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a skewed perspective because I'm on a loving awesome Rogers deal through corporate plans, but their data is worth the extra cost. It's insanely fast, like 150mbps, and I get solid full LTE coverage basically everywhere I go in the area. I can't even complain about their customer service because I get my personal business rep's line to call anytime. Not realistic I know.
Living in East Van I used to tether to my iPhone because it was multiples faster than my wifi. Direct line of sight to like 30 cell towers across the street and barely anyone in the hood had an LTE phone at the time.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Seems legit.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-limited-time-4gb-40-plan-promo-launching-october-25th-2050037/

Before was $38 for can Calling / can +us texting / 2gb data
Now it's $40 for prov calling / can+us texting / 4gb data

:prepop: This company is unreal

can I keep my number from Rogers if I do this

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I am fairly happy with my 6GB Rogers plan but I rarely use more than half of it, and I often find myself camping in an area that only has Telus service, so lopping $20 off my bill while receiving better coverage would be p chill. Just saw this in the fine print though, is this typical?

quote:

Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I did the thing and ported my number to public mobile in all of 10 minutes. Very nice.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Same here coming from Rogers, only I didn't even get an acknowledgement from Rogers. I just tried to log into my old account a couple days later and it said the account was closed.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

No you're good

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My boyfriend sent me this. These people are all lining up to buy a Public Mobile SIM card.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wow, Rogers actually sent me a cheque for $40 because I cancelled my plan mid-cycle. I wasn't even gonna try to get that money back.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

THC posted:

I am fairly happy with my 6GB Rogers plan but I rarely use more than half of it, and I often find myself camping in an area that only has Telus service, so lopping $20 off my bill while receiving better coverage would be p chill. Just saw this in the fine print though, is this typical?

quote:

Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB.

Thought I'd revisit this now that I'm closing in on 3 months with Public. The cumulative effect of this rounding appears to be negligible. My phone reports I've used 11.1 GB and Public's self-serve page reports 11430 MB or 11.16 GB.

And yes, I did actually use almost my entire 12GB plan over the 3 months.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

There's an iOS app called My Data Mgr that reads your device's reported data usage and lets you set custom billing cycles. I think there's an Android version too but there might be better ones.

For me the culprit was actually Twitter, if I don't count all the streaming I did on purpose. Those autoplaying videos chew up a lot of data.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vote BC NDP in May and let's Make BC Tel Again

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lobok posted:

Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

how many minutes do you get outside of these hours?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/A-letter-from-Dave-on-the-infamous-40-for-4GB-price-change/td-p/220067

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Telus is offering better deals in order to take customers from... themselves? What? :psyduck:
if you go over your plan on Koodo you get dinged, on PM it just stops working until you buy an addon. they must really want those sweet overage fees