Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I bought out my damned Bell contract and took my phone to Koodo. They already had a double data deal on, plus an extra 10% off if you were bringing your phone from another carrier. So now, for about $11 cheaper before tax than I was paying before, I have 4 times the data, unlimited nationwide calling/texting/picture messaging instead of fab 10, and voicemail. Been a little over a month, I'm very happy so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looking at picking up a used Z2 but its with Bell and I'm with Koodo. Will I really have to pay for an unlock code? I got a code for my S3 for free.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I'd kill for 6gb of data at that price. After own device discount and taxes I'm paying $60.48 a month for unlimited calling/texting/2gb of data. It's an extra :10bux: to go up to 3gb of data and $20 for 5gb.

That's what I have with koodo except its like $61.20 I think. I always thought 2gb was lots but as I become more a slave to social media its becoming less and less viable.

Oh yeah, what I came to ask about. Asus Zenfone? I seen some Canadian site had them and they were very cheap. Any experiences?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There's my quarrel with android. Buy most phones, have to root it to get the most out of it. Buy a Nexus, well, I cant remove the battery or even insert a SD card, stock android is ugly as poo poo and the phone itself is even uglier. I wonder even if they start porting apps to WP will it be worthwhile.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want a Sony Xperia Compact, I was just looking at the Z3 version on expansys.ca and it says its not compatible with LTE on Telus? Is this for real? I'm actually with Koodo but neither of them sell Sony phones

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pretty cool how the new iFucking poo poo garbage is already on bell.ca but no mention of the Z5 even though they went out of their way to make them bell exclusives. Yes yes I know the sales don't compare but gently caress bell anyway

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Got that Koodomobile SK plan, was pretty easy to do.

How easy? I guess you cant keep your number, can you

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat it. I'm already a koodo customer but I guess that's not a big deal. I really want to upgrade from this friggin 2gb of data, and to save money in the process would be awesome. I think I might have to try it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where's a good place to order micro USB cables that aren't worthless garbage? I only want a couple but the shipping is more than the cables on MP not to mention everything in USD.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pivo posted:

Monoprice is amazing if you're ordering enough to justify the shipping. Their stuff is high quality and never screwed me over.

You haven't ordered their 15 footers then. Absolute junk, the end goes to poo poo in no time. When I bought a N4 second hand though it came with a 6' that I assume was the "premium" variation and I thought it was the OEM it was so good

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I very..intensely loathe being tethered to the wall, especially by a short cord. My first smartphone was the Galaxy S, followed by the S3, before a brief trial with windows phone, and then the N4 and back to the S5 to get my beloved replaceable batteries back as I had before. Of course Samsung is complete garbage and I'm sick of this jumbo loving screen trend and managed to finally track down a Z3c, the best decision I made since I picked the original S over the blackberry I was leaning towards because I wasn't sold on touch screens.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, someone vouch for this Public Mobile. Telus bought them in 2013 so coming from Koodo it looks like I'd get the same coverage. Seems pretty no frills which is fine for me seeing I buy my phones cash or second hand anyway, though I'm so loving close to getting a tab because this X Play is loving garbonzo and I dont have $500+ right now to buy something thats actually flagship.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, the Moto X Play was the worst phone I ever had. The guy at koodo told me apparently they are just poo poo and the hardware never really meshed right with the software. Couldn't take it anymore, and I see they have a promotion of $200 credit on trade in towards the S7. Plus they had texted me and offered another $75 off. I wasn't sure if these credits came off what you have to pay up front or what you pay off, and I didn't have much cash to play with (Otherwise I buy all my phones cash/second hand).

So I go to a kiosk and start asking about it. Now when I joined up 3 years ago I got the $55 1gb/unlimited everything else plan but it was upgraded to 2gb at the time on another promotion. To pay the minimum amount of $300 up front for the S7 you have to get tab large, which would only tack on $4 to my bill for the same plan. I said gently caress it, but wait, the guy says because I'm upgrading to tab large, they take off $5 so I get the same plan for a buck cheaper.

So the $200 plus $75 credits come off what you pay up front, so I have to pay $25 up front for the phone. Fine with me. Guy starts putting it through, turns out they are giving me way more than $75 as communicated to me via text, and I get the phone for nothing up front and he has to give me $75 worth of free accessories. Of course we all know better than to buy accessories from a carrier but its free, right? I opt for a screen protector and a bluetooth speaker. I think we're done, then he says I get another $20 credit, which sadly is all my Moto would have gotten me if I had traded it in with no promotion. Fine, I grab a charge cable to replace the poo poo dollar store one I have in the car and a gel case I'll probably never use. All told I paid $8 and change for the phone, normally $300 up front and about $100 worth of accessories. With what I'm paying on the tab I'll pay $504 for the phone which retails for $904 through them, so a little more than half price. Really you could say $480 seeing I'm saving a buck on the plan I had anyway. Plus all I had to give them was my old phone itself, so I have another turbo charger to spare as well. I'm a happy customer.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone know anything about cell boosters? I can get signal in my bedroom window so I have to use speakerphone or a bluetooth headset to talk to anyone and texting is so inconvenient. Looking at some on amazon for ~$150 or less and wondering if it would be worth it. 1700mhz band for Koodo/telus right?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Any word on nougat for this piece of poo poo S7? Apparently there's a 10% battery life drop to look forward to. I want my loving Sony compact back so bad.

And why do you all hate Uber? It's fuckin 2.3 million dollars to go 5 feet here in Newfoundland and all the cabbies are up against it here too. I used to live honestly 1-2 minutes from the airport, grabbed a cab home from a flight once, ride was $13 which was already ridiculous. I hand over a 20 and say $5 change is good, "actually" the guy says and points to a sign on the dash that they add a $5 charge to resedential addresses from the airport for previously unexplained reasons. loving rogues.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the deal with unlocking phones? I remember with my old S3 I was able to do it myself free with a site that looked up the unlock code. Whats the most legit go-to way of doing this?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So Re: unlocking I bought a service for 10 bucks on eBay as suggested on the last page and they are telling me IMEI is rejected by Bell. I did the service check and there's an X by network and it says 10 so from what I read that part should be good. Could it be stolen or something?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

While you're all flaming each other, take a moment out to tell me what's the best/cheapest place to get a Bell Z3 unlocked.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tried one service for ten bucks, told me IMEI was rejected but if I pay 17.99 USD instead of the initial 7.62 they could do it. Checked with bell and everything is legit so I dunno.

The thing I wanna know is if all these guys on eBay can do it, how are they doing it?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 16, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A second eBay seller failed to unlock for me. Trying your link now

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So are we still getting hosed up the rear end as far as Nougat on the S7? Yes yes I know its garbage, samsung is garbage but I'm stuck with it for now and it seems most other variants of the phone have the 7.0 update. Fucks sake

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Really sick of my S7 so I spoke to someone at the Koodo kiosk when I was at the mall today. Got really excited when she told me a few people have gotten their S7s replaced with S8s when making warranty claims lately as they were all out of the S7. Of course when I called they had my 32gb in black in stock -_-

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See I dont see refurbished as such a bad word, mind you I cant recall ever really buying much that was. To me it means something was wrong, and they fixed it. If I'm gonna get a discount, or in this case upgrade to a $1000 phone just for the $79 deductible on the insurance, I'm all for it. I've been saying I wanna get away from Singsong but I've had the Galaxy S, S3, S5 and S7. I mean what the gently caress else is out there thats available here? I'd love to try some of the Chinese stuff like Xiaomi but drat its hard to get your hands on. The Z3 compact is still my favorite phone I've ever had. That was the smoothest android experience I've had yet, in the perfect form factor.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seem to be finding so much conflicting info on what band Telus uses. I need to know so I can order a booster for our potential new house cause we ain't getting dinosaur landlines. Cellmapper is showing a 1900mhz tower south of me but then a few 700mhz ones to the northeast.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In the house, no, but about 100 meters in front of it within clear view you can get some, and various other places nearby. I'm looking on Amazon as I dont really want to pay $400+ in store, I just assumed I had to get one that was the right frequency as they are all labeled with different megahertz ratings

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm gonna see if I can get on the roof tonight. I know about 150 meters straight in front in clear view from the house I can get signal

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Snuffman posted:

What kind of phones do you have? I know on the iPhones you can get wifi-calling now, which has helped me greatly with my cellphone-dead-zone of a house.

EDIT: My cell is with Telus.

I'm with koodo and she's soon to be as well too, currently with Telus. And she's sick of constantly running out of storage so the iJunk is gone when she switches too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What are some reputable sites I could order in a Xioami or other Chinese phones from that carriers dont have?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone in the know made an Asurion claim on an S7 lately? A girl at Koodo told me when I asked a couple months back she had heard of a couple people who made claims and they had no stock and so they got S8s as replacements. I called and of course they had mine in stock, its only the back thats cracked so I sat on it for now, not paying $79 just to get a refurb of the same poo poo back.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still PM. I just got the GF to switch over with me to Koodo as she was paying 97 bucks for 1gb with Telus for some reason, she got the $55 for 1gb plan but they tacked on an extra gig for 24 months, dunno if that was part of the referral deal or not. Was told at the kiosk to wait for black friday, although he said she can easily switch to whatever they are offering then online

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was gonna get just Internet with Eastlink but they had a data cap if you didn't get the bundle. Then after I actually ordered it a few days later I found they've removed the cap on internet only packages -_-

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Tim Hortons Bacon biscuit is, by far, the finest and best breakfast item money can buy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

lizzyinthesky posted:

I'm looking into cheapo plans folks its that time again. On Koodo lately and its been good but the phone offering for the poor people plans are a bit anemic (compared to say Freedom). I don't use phone as much as data so how bad is Freedom really? I live in North Burnaby. The data numbers offered are way more than what Koodo is offering in my current range (40-50 + the tab medium)(yes I know I'm a cheapskate I'm disabled).

The Pixel 2 is what I'm eyeing at Freedom and I'm not really sure what the best $0 medium tab phone is at Koodo. Suggestions welcome.

Probably not useful but when I wanted the Pixel 2 and my S7 finally stopped charging, and I was totally broke, I called Koodo (been with em 5 years now) and was like listen, can you help me out? Sure! Take $200 off the Pixel 2 so instead of 275 up front on tab medium, I only paid 75. Plus the tab charge, I'll end up paying 435 for a phone that was 1039+tax I think?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

St_Ides posted:

I just found out I'm moving to St John's, NL, from the US.

Are there any decent plans for me and/or my wife? I'm currently on Project Fi in the US, and that gives me basically unlimited talk/text for $20/mo and $10usd/gb. I can just stay on that if it's cheaper.

Thanks

Wtf brings you here? Guessing you work int he energy sector. PM me if you need anything. We're with Koodo, as said above, the offshoots of the big 3 are the way to go.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Make sure you get a good deal on your phones then cause your eyes are gonna explode out of your head when you see how much some things are here. There are a lot of very lovely apartments for very lovely prices especially in close proximity to the uni, personally I wouldn't want to live near there again. But its not all bad, depends what you want.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well then you got er scald (have it good) then, as we'd say. Let me know if you do decide to go with Koodo, theres a $50 referral bonus

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Koodo has a promotion on rn. Added a gig to my plan for a big fat $0.00

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Housh posted:

Do you have any details? I don't see info about this anywhere.

Just went to their site and shop-> plans. I'm on the east coast but I cant imagine its specific to us. I had 2gb @ $54 a few months ago, they came out with 3gb for 55 so I got that. Now they have 4gb for 55 so I upgraded for free.

e: same prices in Ontario and Alberta so I guess its across the board aside from magical cheap cell phone land

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf got that too but I guess because I just added a gig they ain't doing me any more favors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why not Koodo, with whom you can get 4gb of data for $55 right now?

Speaking of which. Apparently wifi calling IS a thing with Koodo, their site only lists Iphone6 and above or LG v30 which seems very dumb. I see instructions online on how I should be able to enable it for Px2 but theres no such option I can find. Anyone else using wifi calling/texting with Koodo?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 23, 2018