Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is it true that Fido has just completely screwed up their activations for the iPhone 5 launch? I got mine (unlocked, from the apple store) and it's still saying No Service despite switching Sims over hours ago. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Took about 5 hours or so before it turned on but seems to be working now. Will the LTE show as 4G? How is the coverage? Do I need to call them to enable that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm wondering if my area of Coquitlam isn't covered or if I need to call them up to enable it. Will call in a few days once things quiet down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Smoot posted:

If you have an Apple store near you, you can try getting a nano-sim for free there. Depending on the store/employee, you may need to provide proof of purchase of the iPhone (they asked for my invoice but never actually looked at it).

This was my experience exactly.. I got asked "Do you have your receipt?" I said yes but they never actually looked at it either.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do any of the carriers have ways of getting a new phone for someone else as a gift? I'd like to get my wife an iPhone 5 for Christmas. She's on Fido and it looks like they only sell them with a 3 year contract, no unsubsidized price on the site.

Or should I just say screw it and order an unlocked one from Apple?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Unlocked would be by far the easiest way. If she has an existing Fido contract is she eligible for renewal? I don't think theres any way to a hardware upgrade for her as a 'gift' without her knowledge.

Don't think she is up for another year. Last renewal she got the iPhone 4, her current phone. She wanted to switch to that $57 plan but can't get the iPhone upgrade (and isn't within the retention window yet).

I'm on Fido too and got myself an unlocked 5 at launch mostly because Fido rollouts are such a gong show, plus didn't want to go on contract again. Guess I'll do the same for her!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Curious: will Fido give you a nano SIM to use with that $57 plan? iPhone 5 is the only phone that uses it that I'm aware of, and even if you bring your own device, I could see them being dicks and wanting to corral iPhone users to higher-value plans.

If you get an iPhone 5 go to an apple store and they will give you a free sim for whatever carrier. The dumbasses at the fido store didn't even know what they would charge but they were out of them anyway. Basically just always avoid going to the fido store.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CRTC snorts, wakes up, nods approval, goes back to sleep.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

As for "a great deal of those terms are already being implemented by many carriers already," while that may be true I think we can all agree that letting them self regulate is a terrible idea even if they are heading in the right direction at a glacial pace.

Also what happens when Wind and Moblicity finally just give up and get bought out by the big 3, would you say they are the main reason the carriers are improving (slowly)?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I've got an iPhone 4 locked to Fido and want to sell it to a friend on Bell, what's the best method for unlocking these days? I know Fido will do it for $50, any other alternatives?

Edit actually it looks like I can unlock the phone for $50 only after my term is up, it's currently not up til jan 2014 :sigh:

Edit2: turns out that was old info, unlocked it and done

priznat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 20, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I heard a radio ad today explaining how rates in Canada are actually less than comparable plans in the states, we should be happy you guys! :downs:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Migishu posted:

I saw that propaganda written in the 24h paper earlier in Montreal. I laughed. Not just because it's not correct, but because since almost everyone is complaining that the prices are too high, they know that this is bullshit. This isn't going to put out the fire, it's just adding fuel to it.

Yeah I think my reaction was a guffaw and "Oh come ON! Seriously??"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

Today at Starbucks I saw a copy of 24H sitting alone on a table, opened to that "PSA."

I like to imagine whoever was reading came to that page and just walked away, laughing.

Pictured: Head of the Canadian Wireless Association

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The funny thing is there is a massive microwave relay station up one of the peaks on saltspring. Not sure if it is still used but it used to be one if the main telecommunication links between Vancouver Island and the mainland.

It is hippy dippy land though they have their own dumb fake currency even.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone know if the $4 value pack fido offers has visual voicemail for iOS as the voicemail?

They have it for $9 standalone and say "or less in a value pack" and there really only is the one value pack.

Fido's site blows. Why don't they even have a mobile version ffs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Since I'm a free agent the end of this month any good monthly plans for someone with an unlocked iPhone 5 out there?

In the lower mainland bc, it's my land line replacement so decent minutes and 2+ GB data would be great. Right now on the Fido $60 plan for unlimited and 2gb.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone know what these strange caller ids are:

V4261353540000

?

loving rear end in a top hat called me at 5am and it rang despite me having do not disturb set on my iPhone. I have been seeing these type of weird numbers a lot lately.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Didn't he come pretty close to the "series of tubes" declaration at one point? I remember something about that, vaguely.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Have the carriers gotten any better at rolling out new iPhones? After the rigmarole I went through to get an iPhone 4 from fido I resolved to only buy them unlocked from apple in the future. So much easier/faster.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is Videotron = Quebecor? Because I immediately thought oh this is how Quebecor breaks in and immediately becomes as giant and lovely as the other big 3. The big 4th.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I look back on Clearnet fondly, I think they were the only ones offering unlimited airtime at the time.

Unfortunately the coverage kind of sucked especially in buildings but they were pretty cool. And the ads were nice too before Telus took them over.

Also re Quebecor I was thinking more this auction is a way for them to load up on spectrum because they aren't an incumbent per se, even though it is meant for the "little guys", which they definitely are not.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? They will give you a sim for free if you show them your order receipt.

E: whoops new page

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What the hell, I suddenly had 3 voicemails on my visual voicemail (Fido) show up that I had no indication were there before, one from almost a week ago.

That's loving garbage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Buy what you like, we all get screwed by Canadian cell providers equally, comrades :D

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Aren't there already phone argument threads that I can continue to ignore?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bell may be the most evil but I always find Telus' marketing extremely disingenuous.

"We care about you/the community/polar bears" etc when you know none of those things are true.

At least rogers markets directly to gadget obsessed fuckheads who are all about getting better devices/plans than the next loser.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

I still have good gadgets at least. :(

Hey now sorry about that I meant the douches on their ads. Like the guy and his sad sack buddy and the broswarm.

I'm on Fido which has gone from adorable dogs to filthy hipsters on their marketing which is even worse!! /Hyperbole

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm on Fido month to month right now with unlimited talk + text to north america and 2GB for around $55 a month. I was thinking of changing to one of the "Pulse" plans so I could get the roaming (I do a couple week long biz trips to the states occasionally).

In the pulse plan it says "Unlimited minutes" but then it also says "unlimited evenings and weekends", so is the unlimited within Canada and the evenings and weekends to the US? They don't make it very clear, it's kind of annoying. I'd call but I would have to talk to a quebeccer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

I see unlimited Canada for $55 but you get USA too?

So when they say "unlimited evenings and weekends" that is to the us and unlimited within Canada always you figure?

Guess I should call em. Probably will just use a Roam mobility sim this time though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone going to try out the new Shaw service? I assume it is on rogers network?

The $0 with $10/1GB is interesting but looking at my usage I am between 3-5GB/mo on my fido plan (which has 15GB/mo) so would be right on the edge to go for the “unlimited” plan for $45 (unlimited=25GB for some reason). Plus $4 for visual voicemail.

https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans

Paying $72 for my fido which isn’t a good deal anymore but was too lazy to move..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ohh right, freedom. Meh.

I had totally forgot shaw was that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

How is the coverage for Shaw's mobile? I live in the BC lower mainland burbs and imagine it's probably hot garbage if you aren't within 50 feet of a cell tower.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Depends where you are. I'm right in downtown New West and unless I was standing outside on the street, I would have no reception. It was brutal. I tried it about a year and a half ago.

drat that's pretty much what I imagined.

I'm on Fido/Rogers on an ancient plan they just kept adding more data to but it seems like there may be better options these days (15GB + unlimited talk for $65). Can't complain about the coverage that much although in some of the "dips" in west coquitlam (along como lake etc) you lose connection pretty good.

They are offering me 30GB for $75 but I dunno.

Also why does every place charge more for visual voicemail :mad:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any good black friday plans? I am currently on Fido unlimited with 15GB and visual voicemail for $72/mo, but if something better comes up I wouldn't mind moving to telus or whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Telus was going hard on my street trying to sign up folks for internet/tv, but the best they got is just 70mb/s anyway, feh.

Dude was ringing my drat doorbell in a pandemic to try to sign me up. Then asking how much I pay currently and I just said nah no thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gloom posted:

Wait wait, Is Telus really doing door to door sales during a pandemic?! My landlord works for them as some kind of systems administrator and said a thing in passing about their door knocking campaign being really successful for increasing customer numbers, but it sounded so crazy that I just assumed I had misunderstood and changed the subject LOL

Yuuuuup dude had a mask on and was down my steps after he rang the doorbell but I was like what the hell, no. No thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m tempted to try out that Shaw plan just to see how the reception is with my phone. I think if I want to not move a number over there is a $30 fee, so bleh.

I’ve also heard I can get Fido to drop my bill considerably if I call in so I might just do that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have the Shaw Gig+ or whatever so the 25Gig/unlimited for $25 is really tempting - is it worth jumping from Fido? Will my reception be totally horrible in suburban greater vancouver?

I think I asked this before and it sounded underwhelming, maybe it has gotten better in.. the 2 weeks since last time but I totally forget :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My curiosity won out and I ordered the Shaw SIMs and just am trying it out now in the tricities near Vancouver (da burbs).

So far at my house it’s not great, getting 1-2 LTE bars dropping to 3G and not even able to use the speedtest app when wifi is disabled. Will see what it’s like when out in the park (the main place I go that isn’t covered by wifi) and if it sucks either wait for Fido to try to woo me back (they apparently do that I’ve read) or check out rogers/telus options.

No big deal it was worth a try and I had really needed to improve my plan for a bit now so even if shaw isn’t the answer I had to see if it’d work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaw wireless update after a few days of use: I actually quite like it, with data being totally fine in the places I've gone - admittedly not too many in pandemic times, but even normally I don't go many spots. I'm going to keep it. Added visual voicemail for +$4.

My house area is pretty much where it is the worst I find, ironically, which isn't a big deal because of the wifi calling anyway. The local large park I go to walk the dogs gets very good reception and I was able to get over 7Mbit using speedtest.

Fido sent me an email a couple days after the switch saying to expect a call but I have all unknown callers silenced anyway and it doesn't seem to do caller ID correctly right now even though it should be supported. Probably will have to talk to Shaw support about that but I kind of prefer just having all calls silenced and straight to voicemail anyway :haw: