Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Well, this thread sure is dead. Anyway, major CRTC release today.

quote:

OTTAWA—Cellphone companies will soon no longer be allowed to charge customers to unlock their devices under forthcoming changes to Canada’s wireless code of conduct.

The new code from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission also says all newly purchased devices must be unlocked, beginning Dec. 1.

The telecom regulator also says unsatisfied customers will be able to cancel contracts within 15 days, as long as the returned devices are in near-new condition and they haven’t used more than half of their monthly usage.

The regulator is also clarifying that only the wireless account holder on family or shared plans can consent to overage and roaming charges, unless others on the plan are expressly authorized to approve the costs.

Data caps will also be tied to single accounts, no matter how many devices are listed on a shared plan.

The CRTC says wireless service providers cannot unilaterally change the key terms of a contract with a customer for voice, text or data services.

The changes come six months after the regulator heard from consumer groups, who said some cellphone companies were violating the code, either passively or actively, and called for the rules to be tightened and enforced.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/06/15/crtc-bans-cellphone-unlocking-fees-in-update-to-its-wireless-code-of-conduct.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I used to work for Rogers and the poo poo the Retention department would do to resolve customer issues or to keep customers (hence the name) was above and beyond what a regular first line customer rep has access to.

The permament $5/mth to $10/mth discounts were pretty rare but the typical was more along the lines of $10/mth off for 12 months and they were handing those out like crazy when they were rolling out the Share Everything and Share Everything+ plans cause of the tremondous clusterfuck of when people were coming in to do upgrades on their old grandfathered plans and finding out that there were no more subsidies on their old plan and they had to change their plan from like 2003 to a ShareEverything plan. Those were not fun days to be at work.

Although the people on the old 6GB SuperPlan (6gb for $60/mth) would gladly pay out like $800 for a new phone and made drat sure that their plan was not being changed in any way. They were more protective of that plan they were on than their own flesh and blood.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They're also all refurbished and trust me you don't necessarily want any of those.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I don't know about the Pixels but the worst refurbs that ALWAYS came back (it wasn't 100% but it was like 99% return of dissatisfied customer pissed to all hell) was Samsung and LG phones. I have no idea who the refurbishment company was that they use but they're atrocious.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

codo27 posted:

See I dont see refurbished as such a bad word, mind you I cant recall ever really buying much that was. To me it means something was wrong, and they fixed it. If I'm gonna get a discount, or in this case upgrade to a $1000 phone just for the $79 deductible on the insurance, I'm all for it. I've been saying I wanna get away from Singsong but I've had the Galaxy S, S3, S5 and S7. I mean what the gently caress else is out there thats available here? I'd love to try some of the Chinese stuff like Xiaomi but drat its hard to get your hands on. The Z3 compact is still my favorite phone I've ever had. That was the smoothest android experience I've had yet, in the perfect form factor.

My issue is that I've been exposed to the worst of it as a Rogers rep and I'm naturally biased against refurbished stuff because I was a store rep and front line. Refurbished for me is such a dirty word because of my time at Rogers because ALL of their cable equipment (Nextbox 3.0, Nextbox 2.0s, all the modems) were refurbished. The cable boxes sometimes we'd get a bad batch and customers would literally come in 3 to 4 times a day to swap it out cause it wouldn't authorize or even turn on in some cases.

I'd personally never go through the insurance programs either on offer as they go through Asurion and that was where a lot of the horror stories came from.

The reality is my perspective is skewed because, again, I was probably overexposed to this stuff so the numbers and statistics in my head probably don't add up to the reality of refurbs being fine for the most part. But the scars run deep, man. Apocalypse Now levels of deep.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hey, good job, you went through the manufacturer.

I cannot stress... I literally cannot stress how a LOT of people genuinely thought Rogers manufactured all the phones they sell.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mederlock posted:

I work in household appliance service and oohhh mmaannn this one drives me nuts. Of course LG and Samsung are the absolute worst there too.

:argh: "You guys made these pieces of poo poo, don't you have the parts lying around back somewhere?!"
:rolleyes:"No sir, the parts and warranty are provided by the manufacturer"
:argh: "if you don't get this fixed by 4:37 PM tomorrow, I'm going to drive this hunk of garbage down to your store and throw it through your front window"
:rolleyes: "... Well sir, I wouldn't recommend doing that, although I *totally* appreciate your anger

This job is going to make me into a misanthrope

I strongly believe that everyone should do minimum 1 to 2 years customer facing retail work once in their lives. Enshrine it into law like countries that have mandatory military service.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Oh, for sure. "Hey, listen, shut up and just escalate me to your support tier 2nd level, ok? I've worked retail before I know all the tricks. Oh, and give me your direct retention number.... hey, are you guys still using [backend system] like my time? Well, then put the phone down I already know how you can just add these SOC codes to my account which you're relaly not supposed to cause it'll get you written up but hey customer first, right?"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I honestly can't recall the last phone sold in the last two years that had a Rogers logo or actually any of the big three stamped on it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

The Gillman posted:

Can anyone tell me what happens when the length of your contract is up and you do not buy a new device or sign a new one? Will they remove the device payments portion from my bill?

Does your current plan just become grandfathered in until you are unable to make payments?

I have a $30 6gb add on that I’m afraid won’t be able to be transferred again if I wanted to subsidize a new phone next month

When your term is up you become month-to-month and it carries on as such. I can't speak for stuff like Koodo but for Rogers your monthly bill doesn't become a BYOP plan so you'll still continue to pay that premium albeit you can now cancel/port your number out at any time.

Technically they can kick you off any grandfathered plan or anything of that sort but I've never actually seen them outright do that. However, if you do try to get a new phone through a 2 year term then you most likely will have to change your plan if its older than a couple years or so. The cut off date is pretty arbitrary and honesty changes all the time.

Best thing to do is to call in to your provider's customer support and just have them verify if you need a plan change or not if you were to get a new phone through them. Then go into a kiosk/store of your provider and ask for literally the same information and have them confirm it as well just to make sure.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This seems illegal as all hell.

And I don't mean in a way where it's like "lol corporations will just get by as usual" but I mean like not being able to make 911 calls regardless of OS seems like the sort of thing that even the most corrupt paid off politician would want to distance themselvers from and call out both Samsung/Rogers.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

Has anyone had problems lately with MMS on Rogers? My buddy and I (both Rogers, both new/good phones, both on LTE) don't seem to be able to consistently/reliably send MMS, SMS works fine.

lol, since day # 1.

You can try putting in the MMS info manually: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-mms-settings

See if that helps.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
KooooooooDOOOOUGGHHH

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

JohnnyCanuck posted:

YOU loving ARE "THE BIG GUYS", YOU'RE GODDAMN TELUS

JESUS

... Sorry for the yelling. Koodo irks me.

All the “cheaper” subsidiaries do it lol. Koodo/Telus. Fido/Rogers. Virgin/Bell.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

w00tmonger posted:

Anything where I don't have to be on a plan?

lmao

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got a voicemail this morning for the first time on my new phone, Pixel 2 XL, and it was like no voicemail I've seen before. I didn't get the standard persistent voicemail notification, instead I got this:

(apologies for my lovely privacy whiting out)

Is this some kind of new visual voicemail style thing?

That's Visual Voicemail which is usually part of the Rogers Value Pack. If you upgraded in-store to the Pixel 2 XL then some rep probably threw it on your account. It's typically free for the first month otherwise it's like 5 a month or whatever. The shadier reps/stores will do this non-stop cause "lol it's just part of your hardware upgrade" when, in actuality, the customer must consent.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Lots of good deals. I kidna impulsively upgraded to a LG G6 for $150 on a Smart Tab at Rogers (cause I got a sweet 12GB Share Everything plan which I will never ever drop but I'm only getting a device subsidy on smart tab with it) but sent it back a week later cause I didn't even notice the original Pixel XL was the same price for $150.

So now got a Pixel XL on the way and I'm psyched. I told myself if I ever went back to an Android phone it would be a Nexus/Pixel device because lmao gently caress carriers deciding when I get OS and security updates forever. I'm going to miss using my iPhone SE though... such a great phone.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Fido apparently has this deal too. I mean of course they would!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Besides the whole "all the big 3 are garbage blah blah blah" disclaimer etc. etc. I would still avoid Bell/Virgin like the absolute loving plague.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'd like to imagine that given it's a weekend there's only a skeleton crew at the call centres and tehy're all just getting ready to quit.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Friend of mine who is a store manager for Fido just sent me pictures of the line up at her tiny store in the mall. You'd think there was a new iPhone being launched holy poo poo

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Good lord, just shut it down already. National embarrassment at this point.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Call straight into retention. First line customer service rep that picks up just politely ask to be transferred to retention as this is a retention level issue.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I didn't get any resistance from the first rep and it's been reversed, but I am so sick of their on-hold music.

It is the worst.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
One hundred loving percent a Pixel phone. If you want the size, a Pixel XL.

Seriously, holy gently caress, if camera is a huge priority for it as it is with me then this is literally the best camera I have ever used. I actually get it now with all those reviews and benchmarks straight up saying the Pixel XL's camera is the greatest ever. No idea about the Pixel 2s and all that.

Plus, Pixel is the successor to the Nexus so it's all hardware mandated by Google so you always get the latest OS updates/security patches as they come out for up to 2/3 years I believe from the phone's launch date so my Pixel is on the latest version of Oreo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
And even past the guaranteed date Google is still pretty good about pushing out latest updates/security patches for quite a while.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Facebook Aunt posted:

Complaining about petty things is the national pastime.

Tim Horton's has poutine now.

Why... why the gently caress??

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm hooked on farmer's wraps.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mister Facetious posted:

That Ontario Dairy Farmer's industry rap commercial was sooo bad.

The what???

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mister Facetious posted:

*laughs diabolically*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwB4DbKWrhU

This is the poo poo you grow up with when you don't have cable.

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

codo27 posted:

The Tim Hortons Bacon biscuit is, by far, the finest and best breakfast item money can buy

Drink it down with a cold glass of premium milk from Canada's gorgeous cows.