Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers consistently seems like the worst of the worst, but maybe that's just grass is greener syndrome? All I know is I'm seriously considering paying the ETF to get out a year early and switch to someone else when the next iPhone hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
T-Mobile (the U.S. AWS carrier) is spending money converting their network over to frequencies the iPhone does support, so I wouldn't count on one this year either :(

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If anything Rogers' new fee name is even more misleading than the "System Access Fee".

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What do you mean 3G is turned off? You always get shunted to Edge, or does your data just not work at all? Is Cellular Data turned off in Settings? Have you tried to reset your network settings on the phone?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I'll try to reset the network settings. But there is no 3G icon nor the Edge icon. Celluar data is on as well.

If this is a very sudden/recent issue it could also be just a problem with the towers/network in your area and not necessarily your account.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Even if it's fine the majority of the time, I think that if the carrier can block data then I'd want to do it from that end too for peace of mind. With the exorbitant rates carriers charge for 'no data plan' data use I'd like something blocking it from their side just so they can't ding me for the full charge if my device screws up.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's possible to get that money back by escalating / complaining to the CCTS. Essentially they're charging you for service that they can't possibly provide due to the fact that the number was ported.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It is, except it actually allows you to get your number out instead of it falling into the "cancelled account" nether.

Think of it this way, they can't provide service to a phone number that doesn't exist in their system anymore.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They actually do a catch 22 where they require 30 days notice (which, if you give, you can't port your number out), so they try and get away with charging you for a final month of service for porting your number out, even though they cannot actually provide said service.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Exactly, my point is that you can't give 30 days notice and port on the final day, at least not with Rogers/Fido, and I think it's downright scummy that they still try and charge you for 30 days of service that you literally cannot use.

In most cases you can get the money back if you have time to spare to fight it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers policy on unlocking iPhones (and probably any phone) is this: You need to be off contract and have an account in good standing, and it'll cost you $50. If you are still on contract, you must pay off whatever would be remaining (i.e. pay the early cancellation fee to be able to unlock)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I think the justification from Rogers' point of view is that the longer you're locked the longer you are required to get their super expensive roaming packages if you leave the country, rather than just picking up a cheap prepaid SIM wherever you visit. And that they "own" your phone until you pay off the subsidy, which is all the cancellation fee is these days.

edit: Not that I agree with any of that, personally. The moment it's in your hand you should be able to use whatever SIM you want with it, as long as you're carrying out the terms if your contract.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
That's not the sole reason for them locking phones, but it's an obvious plus. If you really want to break it down to the simplest reason, it's that a locked phone introduces yet another barrier into switching carriers.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Virgin has it as well, for the record.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They've changed things around since I signed up, but it's built into all "Choice" plans (which used to be called "Talk & Text").

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you're using an iPhone note that it won't work on Wind's network at all. Have you considered Koodo or Virgin? They have pretty reasonable plans without all the bullshit fees Rogers nails you with, and they both support LTE for the new iPhone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, rule of thumb should be to never deal with those 3rd party calls because the 'deal' they are offering is usually poo poo, and they will take almost any answer as you 'agreeing' to renew your contract.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Article posted:

He added: “Due to the Competition Bureau’s actions today, we may have no choice but to cancel premium text message services in Canada altogether.”

That...sounds like a good thing

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

ZShakespeare posted:

Virgin is offering a $25 "After work plan". It mentions that data is pay per use, which links to a page that shows the different tiers of data usage up to 3GB. In the upper corner of the page it has a big $25 graphic. Does this mean that I would pay $25 for the voice plan, $25 just for the privilege of having data, plus whatever my data usage is or just $25 for the voice plan plus whatever data usage I incur? If it's the latter and they are still offering similar plans when my 3 year sentence with bell is up next august, I'll definitely be switching.

I'm with Virgin, the pay per use data charge is just based on whatever you used, on top of your $25 voice plan.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

terriyaki posted:

So according to her, if I were for example to downgrade to the standard $20 Canada-wide plan for October, I have the option to go back to the original $60 6GB Canada-wide plan in November (or any time in the future).

I'd be very very surprised if this is the case.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I would get in touch with them and make sure that the guy got your new SIM number put correctly into the system.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Any unlocked GSM iPhone 4 / 4S will work, as well as any Rogers-locked one of course.

I think even when it comes to the 4S you can get a Verizon/Sprint CDMA model and it will work fine because the SIM slot is unlocked for GSM. I would stick to getting a regular GSM model though just to be safe.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 25, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah they're pretty bad. What bell is offering there for $75/month you could've gotten from Koodo back in August for $60, with even earlier weeknights (5pm start)

edit: Even now Koodo's 6GB offering is $65/month

https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
In my experience the only way you get deals out of Rogers is if your account is in good standing. Out of curiosity, what's the interest rate they charge on late payments?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Godinster posted:

I can't speak for the entire country but the penetration through buildings on LTE seems to be loving terrible. I get LTE with 5 bars outside my apartment but it drops down to fake 4G [and sometimes even EDGE] as soon as I go inside. Same result in all the malls here. To be fair it's in Saskatchewan but I've heard similar stuff in BC/Ontario.

This is highly dependent on the frequencies each carrier offer LTE at. The auctions for the recently freed up 700 mhz spectrum have yet to begin, and that frequency will be the best at building penetration by far.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

priznat posted:

Do any of the carriers have ways of getting a new phone for someone else as a gift? I'd like to get my wife an iPhone 5 for Christmas. She's on Fido and it looks like they only sell them with a 3 year contract, no unsubsidized price on the site.

Or should I just say screw it and order an unlocked one from Apple?

Unlocked would be by far the easiest way. If she has an existing Fido contract is she eligible for renewal? I don't think theres any way to a hardware upgrade for her as a 'gift' without her knowledge.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Geektox posted:

6gb? On Virgin I get 1gb for 65 bucks :(

You're on a "Combo" plan aren't you? The "Choice" Virgin plans are a much better deal.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Well, to be honest, the big three's service really is premium over what's offered by WIND and Mobilicity and the like. If I lived in the core of downtown Toronto I'd still be on one of the big three (or their subsidiaries) because I'd like to count on my phone working in most of the places I might travel to in Canada, not just the city I live in.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

moron posted:

Great, thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'd just heard so much about Canadian cell phone plans that I just assumed the worst.. $65 is still pretty steep, but it's doable.

If you're bringing your own phone, check out Virgin. I have my own unlocked iPhone 5 I'm using with them, bringing your own phone gives you 10% off your base plan price.

You also get to choose their 'cheaper' plans since you're not locked into a smartphone contract, which they call their "Choice" plans. I have one for $25 a month that gives me 100 minutes (unlimited evenings after 7pm and unlimited weekends) canada wide, voicemail, caller id, unlimited text, and a flexible data plan that charges you based on how much data you use. Up to 1GB/month is $20, if you go over that you pay $30 but can use up to 3 GB, and tethering is fully supported.

So all in all you'd be looking at a bill thats $42.50/$52.50 depending on how much data you use, plus tax.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Your only choice is to keep escalating. Try getting in touch with @RogersHelps or whatever their twitter is, sometimes those people are capable of providing support the phone droids can't.

You could also try writing to the office of the president, saying this is completely unacceptable and at the very least you would like a paper copy of your bill each month at no extra charge.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
6GB plans are always limited time offers -- you'll have a hard time to get any company to match it when it's not available. Your only choice is to wait until one of them offers it again.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
According to T-Mobile it does support HSPA+ on AWS, so I'm not sure where he heard otherwise.

edit for source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/26/t-mobile-says-its-iphone-5-has-hspa-on-aws-bands/

edit2: well now this is just getting confusing, apparently old iPhone 5s won't support AWS but the new version of the A1428 (yeah, same model number) will support it after it launches on april 12th? sounds like it might be tough to get a working AWS phone in Canada

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/26/iphone-5-att-aws-unlocked-plans-t-mobile/

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 26, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you're getting your phone unlocked anyway take a look at Koodo and Virgin's offerings (specifically Virgin's Silver plans)

https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/monthly1.html?itcid=LP:142

They're both pretty much identical offerings (even their promotions, what a coincidence...) but I'm on the $25/month Virgin silver plan, and I like it cause if money is really tight you have the flexibility of just not using data at all.

I think they both offer 10% off the base monthly price if you bring your own phone as well.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers wants to buy it, but it's conditional on the ministry approving the sale. If they do approve the sale then all they've done is prove that their restrictions in the last auction were a joke -- the whole point was that the spectrum would NOT go to one of the big three.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They will probably argue that your contract doesn't specify costs of items like that and they are free to change the price at any time. I remember Rogers pulling similar poo poo a few years ago, arguing that 'addons' weren't part of the contract. Of course, if you go far enough up the chain of command, you can probably get released from the contract because it's easier for them then actually testing it in a court.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
When I was on Rogers I was always wary of taking advantage of 'value add' services like that for fear of their unreliability, bad customer service, and the possibility that they might just be trialing it with customers with the intention of turning it into a paid service (that's most likely too expensive for what is offered).

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I can confirm that it definitely used to be a thing, I haven't been with Rogers for a year but I'm sure it still is since they're essentially still getting your money if you switch.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
This..

quote:

That is a key finding of a new study set to be released Monday by telecom consultancy Nordicity and the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, the main lobby group for the $19-billion industry.

is all you need to read in that article.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Meep posted:

When a subsidized device is provided as part of the contract,

for fixed-term contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, for the lesser of 24 months or the total number of months in the contract term, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.
for indeterminate contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, over a maximum of 24 months, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.

Doesn't the second part there refer to tab systems? If so, even those will be limited to 24 months, so they shouldn't be able to just work around it like that.

Yep, sounds like they're really aiming to make sure there's no fee/commitment after 2 years, regardless of what path the carriers go.

edit: The side effect of this might be crappier subsidies, or we might get everything we have now only with 2 year contracts just like our neighbours to the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Getting all of Mobilicity's spectrum would help. That's probably the biggest value for WIND out of the deal. It's going to take a long time for anyone other than the big 3 to gain any traction in the market, there's no deal in the short term that will turn them into a big player.