Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BGrifter posted:

So over a three year contract that'd cost you an extra $720 dollars. It's like getting $80 whole dollars off an iPhone 5s, such a deal!

Oh wait, I forgot to factor in the own phone discount once you get off contract.
I'm getting an unlocked 5s either way, and my contract isn't up for another year, but is there actually any money to be saved these days with Bell Mobility by "bringing your own" unlocked phone once you're off-contract? I've heard that Bell will give you 10% off your monthly plan when you do so in the past but can't find anything current.

For reference, I currently have a Fab 10 Promo 65 plan that I got last year. 1GB of data with 200 anytime local minutes, unlimited nights/weekends starting at 6PM, unlimited minutes to/from 10 Canadian numbers while in Canada, unlimited Canadian SMS/MMS, and Call ID/Message Centre for $65/month. LTE enabled, luckily. Since the 2 year contract thing started a few months back, plans have gotten way more expensive and I get the feeling I'll never really be in a position to move off this one. I'd take 10% off of $65/month, gladly, but am certainly not holding out any hope for what the case is a year from now.

Next year I'd be open to switching to another carrier that uses the Bell/Telus network (I need the coverage for travelling) but I really don't know if there's any better options in the Maritimes. Just in case anyone has any experience/input, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

OilSlick posted:

If you are on the current $30, $45, or $55 plan, it's 10% off. If it's a voice and data plus plan, it's $20 off. The $85 plan gives you 2GB of data, unlimited nationwide calling, texting, voice mail and caller ID for $65.
That's... actually decent, when you put it like that. Is there any online documentation on the latter or is that the inside scoop?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

OilSlick posted:

Dunno if it's online, but I can assure you it's real. Originally the plan was only for 1GB, but it has since doubled. Not sure how long they're gonna keep it like that. You can also get 6GB for $85 (regular $105) but whatever.
I was able to find both the "$20 off Voice & Data Plus plans for bring your own device" promo as well as the $85 1GB+1GB plan. Thanks for point that out. It appears as though Bell, Telus and Rogers offer $20 off monthly plans for bringing your own device at the moment, where Koodo and Virgin are both 10% off.

They all also have identical unlimited voice plan offerings in the $85 range (before the unlocked discount) with 1GB+1GB data. Canadian "competition" :canada:

Hopefully those promos (or something like them) are still around in a year. My wife is on Rogers with a cheapo annoying grandfathered-in corporate promo plan but it looks like it would finally be worthwhile to bring her over to share data with me on Bell.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Migishu posted:

Browsing MobileSyrup just now, anyone heard of this? http://www.knowroaming.com/

Anyone think this is legit? Would be a nice way to say "gently caress you" to the big 3 when roaming outside of Canada.
I don't know about this but I've been using Roam Mobile when roaming through New England on an unlocked iPhone and they have just bumped up their one day plans to be 300 MB per day for $4. Unlimited Canada/US incoming/outgoing calls and texts too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

leidend posted:

Why is there a Pacific mall in Toronto anyway?
My wife says it's because it's named for Pacific Place in Hong Kong, which Wikipedia sort of confirms.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I have a feeling the answer is "no", but does anyone have any experience with Bell or Rogers where one uses an unlocked device using a (grandfathered) monthly rate plan and being eligible for BYOD discounts once one's contract is up? I bought a iPhone 4S almost 3 years ago, subsidized by a 3-year contract, then bought an unlocked 5S last year and switched my plan over to that after selling the 4S. Or does applying for BYOD discount necessarily involve signing up for a (dogshit expensive) rate plan that's currently available?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I'm going to be getting an unlocked 6S shortly and handing my unlocked 5S over to my wife. She has a really nice Government Corporate voice plan (~4 years old) with a 100MB data add-on for her current 4S with Rogers.

Is there any reason why her current plan would be incompatible with the 5S? When I switched from 4S->5S on Bell 2 years ago, my 2 year old plan was compatible then...

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Pivo posted:

Nah, if it's unlocked it'll work on Robelus.

I'm gonna grab an unlocked 6S outright myself. My 5 is unlocked, originally purchased through Rogers, works on Koodo just fine, etc. The only thing you have to worry about is AWS (Wind), but I'm pretty sure all modern iPhones support AWS too, so... nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the answer. I guess I'm just overly paranoid from the days of moving from BB -> iPhone where the plans took a huge jump in price.

Also making me leery is where Bell advertises LITE vs. PLUS plans and I cannot really see a principled difference between the two. A 5C is LITE but a 5S is PLUS? Uhh... ok?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The difference is simply phone cost.

A subsidized 5C allows you to choose a slightly cheaper Lite plan. A subsidized 5S requires you to purchase a Plus plan.

The 5C is a cheaper phone than the 5S, so Bell doesn't need to bleed you as much through your monthly bill.
Ah, yeah, it makes more sense when you put it that way.

The website indicated that Plus are the newest phones and that threw me off- because the 5C and 5S are contemporaneous. It's just that the newest phones largely tend to be the more expensive ones, with examples like the 5C being exceptions.

Taking degrees of newness out of the picture makes a lot more sense.

Also didn't glom to the fact that Plus/Lite only matter in the context of subsidies. I guess if you're BYOD it probably won't matter at all.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Your wife will have to get a new SIM card, since the 5S uses a nano and the 4S used a micro. That's no big deal though, it won't affect the plan or anything. You just walk into any Bell store and ask for one. Sometimes they charge $5 or $10, sometimes they give it for free.

Also keep in mind BYOD pricing only becomes available when your phone is considered paid off.

Like if you got your 5S subsidized in November of 2013, you can only switch then even if you get a new unlocked phone before that.
Again thanks for the follow up.

I was aware of the need for a new SIM; I had to make the jump from Bell-locked 4S -> unlocked 5S myself 2 years ago and that was relatively painlessly handled with a SIM card purchase and an activation phone call at home. I'm sure the process is relatively similar for Rogers, at least with an unlocked device.

I think we're ok on BYOD pricing. My 3-year 4S contract would have ended in fall 2014, a year after I made the leap to the unlocked 5S. Her 4S contract would have ended either late 2014 or early 2015.

For now we're keeping her account separate on Rogers but in time we may just bring her over to Bell and switch to a shared plan with 2 BYODs and 2GB data and pay approximately the same as we collectively do now ($113/month all in) with no real loss in features and some mild improvements. I currently have 2GB/month and she has 150MB a month and she hits that wall more often than not.

I think the pricing improved somewhat recently in some because I remember previously looking at this shared option this year and it was basically pointless for us to switch.

Thanks for the help, I'm admittedly a little skittish about the whole ordeal because this upcoming 6S will only be the 4th phone I've ever had, and I only do this whole rigmarole every other year at most.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

e: Looked up a video on Youtube, answered my own question. Not the same process if you're not going micro to nano SIM. I guess it's just plug-and-play going from nano SIM device to nano SIM device.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 11, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

So gone are the days of a $199 16GB entry level phone, eh?

Rogers has pricing up: 6S 16GB : $398 || 6S 64GB $528
Yikes. Makes me feel better about paying the unlocked price for the 64 Success, I guess.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I found the iPhone price this year to be steep but it's nice to upgrade every 2 years unlocked and give my old unlocked phone to my wife and it's still good for her for another 2 years.

We could sell her 4S locally but we're keeping it as a beach camera/mp3 player instead of going through the hassle.

E: asking on a 4S here is $125-200 but getting $100 would be more realistic.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 12, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BGrifter posted:

If anyone isn't buying their phone accessories from BestBuy I highly recommend it. They now price match in store against Amazon.ca and NewEgg.ca plus give you 10% of the difference between their absurdly inflated prices and the online price off. Just got two $26 Lightning cables for $6.29 each.
Would have been nice to know this before I ordered my 6S case for $24 on Amazon.ca but then again maybe it was worth it to not have to pay $2.40 + tax to go to a Best Buy. Assuming they even carried the case that I wanted, which online scouting suggested they didn't.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Is there any advantage to signing up for a contract at Costco versus a carrier store?
Not really. Costco has previously just had a third party vendor (usually Wireless Wave) and the sales/plans aren't subject to their usual return policy.

e: My opinion is grounded in my admittedly brief experience like 4-5 years ago. Looking now, it appears as though they might have a slightly better setup with Wireless Wave than they used to. Looks like they'll toss in 50 CAN->US long distance minutes for Bell/Rogers and they might have certain phones/plans where they'll throw in a Costco cash card ($100-$150). Also looks like they give a free charger or Lightning cable with purchases now too.

Looks like they also have their derivative of Applecare+ that can be bought for non-Apple phones.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm hopefully going to burn my hardware upgrade on the Venice when it comes out :swoon:
Uh, sorry to say, but current rumor has it that the Venice is going to be $750 USD.

Or, you know, the same price as a 64GB iPhone 6S.