Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

And I'd just signed up for Public Mobile and was really happy. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Public launched their new branding and every one of their plans for ON are 3G speed only lol.

I just traded from an old 1GB LTE plan to a 4GB 3G plan now that I'm out and about far more than I have been in years. Considering I just look at the forums, web browse and use Maps, 3G is plenty fine for me, and I ran out of data on that 1gig plan completely today.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
who the gently caress has an unlimited wireless plan in Canada

who the hell is even selling that

also Telus is trying to push promotions at me to get me to switch to Koodo from Public Mobile

it's tempting but honestly 4GB of 3G data is perfect for me right now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

In Ontario there’s OTN which is actually pretty great in my experience. It’s a Gov Ontario non profit telemedicine services provider. Using a third party service like Facebook for protected health data is probably a nightmare for the doc.

someone wanted me to join them for a new very confidential support group on loving Zoom recently and I'm like gently caress no, I'm not gonna do poo poo on that service that I don't want the ENTIRE WORLD to see, I don't care if they have some HIPAA certification or whatever, it's completely unsafe

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sassafras posted:

Is anywhere that sells phones in person open these days? I was thinking maybe Walmart or London Drugs, since everything else I've looked up isn't.

edit: I know both of those are open... I mean the cell phone parts.

Weirdly maybe Shoppers Drug Mart?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't know if they still do it, but buying phones directly from Wind would usually have an extra $100 tacked onto MSRP, while still only offering black.

look, we need one Black-positive place in Canada okay

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I fully expect esim will come to Public Mobile never.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evis posted:

Not empty quote: the new Canadian model iPhones still have a physical SIM card slot.

Oh thank god

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The thing that frustrates me about visual voicemail is that it would be incredible as an accessibility thing for me due to anxiety issues but nope costs extra and requires you to be on a premier brand because it's seen as a luxury. gently caress capitalism.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

public mobile is running a $40/15gig deal, no expiration

well i'll take that deal, thank you very very much

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

Yeah, did I just blow $10 on a SIM to not be able to get the deal?

No, but I think it’s only going to last for a year for all of us https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/promotion#4G

e: there's no mention of it being a twelve-month promotion on the actual public mobile change your plan page, so it might not be the case for current users. there's a hanging footnote 7 but that's also used on the page for notes about cross-Canada calling i think and has no actual footnote attached to it, so idk. maybe they hosed up bad again

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 30, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

I just realized my computer is 7 years old and I still hate to replace it as it generally runs well as no I e does go storage anymore

You should upgrade your computer it’s dropping inputs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm moving my mom from Bell to Public Mobile tomorrow. Anything special I need to do? the public mobile website has the instructions for porting her number, right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

**for landlines, because landlines are the only thing they've got that kind of control over

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scudworth posted:

I have 1400 free international calling minutes Public has given me over the years for xmas. That's 23 hours of... prank calls to Europe or something I guess.

Call a bunch of Indians ask them if they need duct cleaning services.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

Feel free someone out there to PM me your public mobile referrer code in case their $34/20gb turns out to be the best deal offered and I grudgingly sign up for it and pray for a discount-bearing Fido winback call.

i'd do it but i lost pms when i got banned last time

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Worked fine this morning. Thanks for getting me to check, thread - got more data and $6 off my bill monthly with PM.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I go to apple.ca and choose a model I like and order it with a case and AppleCare.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't even think I use that much for home internet

someone doesn't play video games these days

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh yuck that's $7 more on my bill each month I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

10, though my understanding is switching to a non oem android build would be relatively painless (relatively) so I could update if I had a free weekend

But like, mms hasn't changed as a standard since like 15 years ago so not sure why it should suddenly stop working

MMS hasn't changed. The protocols the phone companies use changed, and your old Android version doesn't support the new protocols. Like my iPhone is similarly old (a 6S) but I wasn't affected on Public Mobile because Apple still gives it essential updates.