Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Seems the 3G on my iPhone 4 has been turned off yet I can still receive texts and make calls. Happened out of nowhere too. And it's not like anyone has made calls (anyone as in the account holder (plan is shared with family)) to Rogers. Guess it's a call to Rogers but that always ends up in chaos and them adding extra bullshit.

Checking online I don't see any issues with the account, a payment comes out on the 1st and 15th of every month. But why would they just cancel my 3G data? Shits hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll try to reset the network settings. But there is no 3G icon nor the Edge icon. Celluar data is on as well.

EDIT: Okay, that seemed to have worked -- what the heck, iPhone bug or Rogers?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 4, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like the iPhone 4S is dropping to $99 on a standard 3 year plan.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-carriers/rogers-bell-and-telus-drop-iphone-4s-prices-to-99-on-3-year-terms/

quote:

Most likely in anticipation of the upcoming ‘iPhone 5′, Rogers, Bell and Telus have simultaneously reduced the price of the 16GB iPhone 4S to $99 on a 3 year term (regularly priced at $159), available in either black or white.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I know it's probably pretty hard to tell before hand but if I can upgrade to a Galaxy S3/iPhone 4S right now with Rogers (using their hardware upgrade option on the website account info) that more than likely means I can get the iPhone 5, eh?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This Rogers waitlist thing is such a farce, not sure how any of it works. No weekly e-mails at all. Right now it's been showing in progress for about 3 days straight with no tracking number sent. It's all a big mystery as to when I will get my iPhone 5. The nice thing is that I am getting a $50 credit but the wait is now killing me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well speak of the devil, I received a text saying it shipped and a email with a tracking number.

Regardless, having to check every day myself with no e-mail updates is kinda cumbersome. But I suppose they expect people to check fervently since it's the iPhone 5. I know I checked like 5+ times a day.

"Oh my! I jumped 50 spots!"

"Holy poo poo, 900 spots, it's coming!"

That was me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got it, love it, so loving happy! Big upgrade from my iPhone 4!

Rogers store mentioned that Apple here is sold out of cases, plausible but I think it was just a ploy to make me buy a case from em. Want to see what Apple stocks first.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How the gently caress do the people in Regina have LTE and us here in Winnipeg have poo poo, loving goddamn Rogers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rogers pushes back LTE in Manitoba - gently caress, what the hell is going on? I heard disputes with MTS over sharing lines. The 3G here in Winnipeg is loving laughably bad. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a smartphone when only WiFi is reliable.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving finally LTE is available in Winnipeg! Granted I'm on 3G now inside the hospital but it was cool peering down and seeing the indicator up top.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got off my family account with Rogers and moved to my own since the rents are now moving to Italy. Snagged something for $45/month with unlimited text and pictures, 1000 minutes in the day, unlim evening and weekends 500MB (don't need anymore). I was not anticipating something like that. I think I asked the guy about 2GB and it would jump to like $70!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can I sell someone who is on Telus a MTS iPhone 4? I think both are CDMA, no?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ, those are so ridiculous - who the gently caress would pay that much for that little of data. Even regular people should loving gasp at that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

According to FB:

"Honestly, if the devices cost $500+ to buy them outright, then what did we all expect with this CRTC 3yr ban? The money needs to be made from the original purchase of the device. If you have your own devices or buy them out, the prices for the plans will decrease. I'm sure this is only to make back the cost of the devices. Sorry, this CRTC 2yr plan is a good idea, but there was no loving way the cost would have stayed the same. What did we all honestly expect? CRTC should ban high costs of cell phones. That way it's more affordable. gently caress this CRTC bullshit, I was never happy with it to begin. Sorry for the rant."

"Yes the device is paid off within a year (depending on the model), but they do have to make money as well. To employ people, like myself, in tech support/sales, for upgrades/repairs that are needed for the network and towers, technicians to fix/install/repair towers...
I understand the CRTC are trying to help, but then we could all argue against all companies re: huge markups. Like manufacturing glasses. There is a HUGE markup for what they really pay to what our customers pay. Lenscrafters charge the highest (my sunglasses were shy of a thousand bucks) where the material cost them was dollars...and they're becoming dominant.
It's unfortunate as this world will only become worse in time."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

So MTS is offering even better plans now(and including caller ID and voicemail), they are going to blow everyone out of the water in Manitoba if they don't start offering better plans. Not that the big 3 care about Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wireless/wireless+plans/4g+smartphone+plans

I have that with Rogers right now actually, seems to be the standard in Manitoba.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Girlfriends sister was gonna jump aboard the iPhone train this weekend with the 5C offering her the $60 5GB plan. She didn't want to get that and wanted on my plan ($50 for 500MB), plus shes a student and cant afford a $20 jump on her current cell bill (shes on a basic phone with slideout keyboard). Apparently Rogers changes their plans every 3 months we were told and that for lesser data it's still the same price.

Kinda shady if you ask me. We didn't end up getting her the phone and now shes debating MTS, ugh!

I mentioned she could probably call Rogers up and "demand" that she gets a plan like mine since her contract is up and she can just jump ship if she wanted. Hopefully she calls soon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

neongrey posted:

gently caress it. My contract's up at the end of July. I'm leaving for MTS. I don't care that they throttle you after 15GB/mo, that's still two and a half loving times what I get from Rogers and the whole plan will wind up being cheaper since they'll let me dial back on the talk plan.

Yeah, once the new iPhone's come out im jumping ship to MTS. gently caress Rogers for all this bullshit.

Is there anything we can do to stop this poo poo? Rogers is loving EVERYTHING up and it seems like we're stuck.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If I have a Rogers iPhone 5 are they still doing the ancient "locking" to network? I am off to Europe for a couple weeks and if I can get a pay as you go SIM from London (and again in Rome) that would be ideal.

EDIT: $50 fee??

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cant wait to get hosed by :canada: carriers on prices for the new iPhone. The Pro is listed at $1000+ for the base model, so the phone is probably gonna be just the same. 64GB is about $400 CAD after converting the $299 US. :/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

Where are you seeing prices for the Pro?

They took it down - I swear they had pricing up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So gone are the days of a $199 16GB entry level phone, eh?

Rogers has pricing up: 6S 16GB : $398 || 6S 64GB $528

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress everything. What a bunch of bullshit. Goddamn oligopoly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"The cost of an unlimited nationwide calling share plan in Manitoba is $50. The same plan in Ontario is $65. The difference in data costs are even larger: Bell offers 6 GB for $20 in Manitoba. The same $20 will get you just 500 MB in Ontario. In fact, 5 GB costs $50 in Ontario, more than double the cost in Manitoba for less data. "

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2016/05/why-bells-plan-to-buy-mts-could-kill-the-governments-fourth-wireless-carrier-strategy/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"But Pallister says the deal will lead to faster Internet and cellphone speeds, as well as increased coverage areas.
He says prices will probably increase, but goods and services often cost more when quality improves."

What a slimy cocksucker. gently caress him. I hope he chokes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess they truly are selling like hot cakes or the US just got a much larger shipment. I ordered at about 8AM the day of (I know it was 2AM central for opening) and I still gotta wait at least 2 weeks. Not a huge deal as I have a phone that works though (5S :3:)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GF got moved over to Telus from the MTS merger. Thing is ... her phone is locked and their instructions for activating the SIM do not work for the iPhone. The phone just says no, gently caress you, bye where the instructions say you can just put your Apple ID in.

Going to request it unlocked without the charge as it's goddamn bullshit for $50 on a forced move.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get a RoamMobility SIM if yours is unlocked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How is it not? This is a thread about Canadian cell plans, devices and other factors affecting us.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Because it was the last post in here but whatever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And with Apple getting rid of that 3 month 0% interest loan it means I actually have to... save money. :3:

But still insanely expensive.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone ever use PayBright with eBay? Since Apple got rid of their 0% interest financing i've been looking at alternatives. I mean.... I could just save BUT this is instant gratification. Looking at the XS Max on eBay since they are no longer sold.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The data silos are emptying at alarming speeds.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lexicon posted:

What do we recommend for roaming in the US these days? Rogers can go gently caress themselves at $12 a day per device.

esims!! No fiddling with stupid simcards and poo poo.

I went with Airalo last time I was down south and it was fantastic and so easy to use. Gonna use it again when I go to NY next month.

https://www.airalo.com/

You don't get to phone people but whatever. It's data only.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Airalo has been decent for me and is easy to set up.

https://www.airalo.com/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just data, yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My wife has been on an old "unlimited" (RE: 15GB then throttled) plan for so long that she finally upgraded - at the time it was real good but obviously not anymore. She went with Koodoo and got $39.99 for 60GB which is more than she'll ever need. Plus $5 off for 10-months. Was quick and easy.

Surprised to see a price that low.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 11, 2024