Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'll move my post about Chatr and how Rogers owns them and you should never ever sign up with them over to this thread!

Chatr was set up by Rogers as an immediate response to WIND and Mobilicity, trying to capitalize on the "unanticipated" welcome by Canadian consumers to new wireless competitors. Also, they were hoping nobody really looked into Chatr's ownership, so that people might sign up with them without knowing they were wholly operated by one of the Big Three. Their ads pimped their "reliability" until they were sued by WIND and Mobilicity taken to court by the Federal Competition Bureau for not backing up any of their claims.

Huh, looks like Wikipedia has a really good summary of why they suck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatr

quote:

Their "chatr zone" coverage is artificially limited to match the coverage of Wind Mobile, Public Mobile and Mobilicity, and so using a Chatr phone outside of these zones results in additional charges.

quote:

Controversy:

Several controversies regarding Chatr received mainstream media coverage. The company received two accusations of breaching the Competition Act in Canada.

Fighter brand

Chatr has been accused of violating the Competition Act because it is a fighter brand created by Rogers. Chatr's pricing policy closely reflects that of Wind Mobile, Mobilicity and Public Mobile. Mobilicity's chairman, John Bitove, said that "[Rogers is] leveraging the other parts of their business to kill the competition […] If they succeed in killing us off there's no question they'd kill the Chatr brand off".

Advertising claims

Shortly after its launch, Chatr published many advertisements claiming that their network has “fewer dropped calls than new wireless carriers”. Following a complaint by wireless carriers Wind Mobile and Mobilicity, the Federal Competition Bureau has asked the Ontario Superior Court of Justice under the Misleading Advertising Provisions of the Competition Act to order Rogers to:
  • Stop Chatr's advertising campaign
  • Pay a 10-million dollar penalty
  • Pay restitution to any customers affected by the misleading claim
  • Send out a corrective notice to inform the public about the issue
The Bureau has accused Rogers of:
  • using misleading advertising to promote its talk-and-text service Chatr..."
  • having "...no evidence support[ing] Chatr's claim that their customers will experience fewer dropped calls than they would with new rival wireless carriers..."
  • directly breaching Section 78 of Misleading Advertising Provisions relating to "False or Misleading Representations and Deceptive Marketing Practices"
According to the Court documents from the preceding, the bureau found that the on average there is no significant difference between the number of dropped calls on Chatr and new carriers. Furthermore, in the cases of Ottawa and Toronto, new carriers experienced slightly fewer dropped calls than did Chatr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Get ready for monthly plan hikes from the Big Three to cover damages and lawyer fees regulatory changes!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh, and this is the point where we once again observe that Caller ID is an intrinsic part of a cellular signal, and it actually costs more for cellular companies to strip it out.

(Not a whole lot more, mind you, but still.)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Xanthine posted:

Wow, I just got a text from Telus informing me they're going to start charging me 40 cents a text to the US now. Do I have any grounds to complain to them they're breaking the contract I signed or will they just tell me to get lost?

They'll probably let you out of your contract early!

...but that means that evry other carrier (except the new guys) are about to implement the same charge. So where will you go, Xanthine? Where will you go?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Martytoof posted:

In fact they probably have to go out of their way to actually remove the ID from your call.
Just FYI: They do. But they make even more money off charging it to folks at $7 a pop.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Martytoof posted:

Do the new plans "happen" to cost $7 more? :haw:
That would not surprise me in the slightest!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
They made sure that one of the cities sampled was Regina in order to get SaskTel numbers in there, thus making the average look ever-so-slightly more reasonable.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Telus is already freaking out and starting to lobby against Verizon joining the Canadian market:

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6911/125/

quote:

Yesterday, Telus CEO Darren Entwistle was campaigning at the Globe and Mail and National Post, warning of a "bloodbath" if the government sticks with its commitment to allow for a set-aside of spectrum for new entrants such as Verizon. Telus is concerned that a set-aside would allow Verizon to purchase two of the four available blocks, leaving the big three to fight it out over the remaining two blocks. Telus emphasized its prior investments in arguing for a "level playing field" in the auction.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just got a Z10 assigned to me at work, and I can't even find a Blackberry thread here on SA to learn stuff about it. Anyone have one and got some tips or killer apps?

Here's the BlackBerry thread oh god please post in it IT WANTS TO LIVE

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

thexerox123 posted:

Good god, I hate that painting. I remember going to the National Gallery at like 8 years old, being told how much that painting was purchased for, and even then thinking it was an absurd travesty. (Along with the exhibit that was there that was just a bungee cord stretched across a room.)

Oh god let's please not have the "what is art" debate in this thread. I've lost good people to that debate. Good people.

In other news I have a buddy who works for the Rogers call center, and he's bought the company line on everything. It's scary how much corporate dronespeak he's picked up, particularly on the "Canada needs higher prices" and "Verizon would have torn this country apart and the federal government was going to let them" fronts.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

OilSlick posted:

The type of phone will affect the amount of the deposit. If it's an iPhone or something similarly priced expect up to $400. If you get a mid range one, perhaps $100-200. An entry level smartphone (<$200) there may be no deposit at all.
Back in the day Rogers used to ask for $1,000.00 deposit for any kind of wireless plan if you had bad/no credit history. This was before data even existed.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Aphrodite posted:

This is a new one.

Rogers is down right now. Canada wide, apparently.

I can't make calls, and anyone calling me gets a busy signal on my cell. Their website is down, people are saying texts don't work. Mobile data apparently works fine though.

It's fixed, and they're offering a 1 day credit for the outage!

That'll be, at most, $4.

With a $7 one-day-credit administration fee.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Ashley Madison posted:

I have a weird problem with a few phones. Two guys have Blackberry 9900s on Bell and none of their web services work. No browser, no facebook, no twitter, etc. BES email and BBM des work, so there's some data moving. No BES policies in place that block anything.
I installed my SIM card and everything works as it should. Did Bell mess something up?

Entirely possible. Call up Bell Business Support and ask if the phones have been provisioned for web services.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rogers is definitely up now, didn't get any reports from our Blackberry users today of outages.

Telus was dead in the water, should be back.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Madox posted:

Lesson - don't buy phones that Canada isn't supposed to have yet. :(
SECONDARY LESSON: Beware deals that are too good to be true at PacMall.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
My wife is thinking of switching over to Wind; she's currently using a dumbphone with Telus, off contract.

Anyone have any experience with the Wind signal here in Ottawa? Coverage maps are one thing, but I could use some anecdotes!

Also, what are the chances Vidéotron gobbles them up in the next year or so?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

less than three posted:

Can we update the thread title, please. :getin:

Alternatively:

Jesus.

Wept.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Canadian mobile prices higher than peers, report says

quote:

...when compared with mobile pricing plans in other countries, Canada’s international ranking worsened slightly, the study found.

Prices in Canada were “average” in 2012 but “higher than average” in 2013, when compared to its peers in the G7 — the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Japan — plus Australia, the study found.

“When you look at how Canadian prices have changed over time, it’s generally been a downward trend and that continued this year,” Wall said in an interview. “When you compare them internationally, we don’t fare as well here as we did last year.

Last year, we were in the middle of the pack. This year, we’re still in the middle but more in the upper range and in some cases we’re the highest against the countries we compare with.”

Which of the Big Three will make excuses for the industry first? "Oh, it's because Canada is so big! Infrastructure is expensive! We needed more blood for the blood god!"

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

OilSlick posted:

Nope. CRTC outlawed that one as long as you are part of the new legislation. You become a part of that legislation as soon as you are out of contract.
Haven't there still been multiple reports of Rogers still trying to collect on it, even if it has been outlawed?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Or maybe they'll just send you to a collections agency 6 months from now. You never can tell with Bell!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
gently caress Rogers.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Aphrodite posted:

There is no civilization outside Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Ottawa is still a thing that exists.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Have a Galaxy Note 4 through my office on Rogers. Gonna try to convince them to give my phone to one of the new employees starting in October so that I can get the Galaxy Note Edge 5.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I got it for the Note 4 Monday morning

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
If you want a wider audience for your question, there's a lovely Canadian Internet Thread, too!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Getting real sick of these Koodo commercials that have the plucky little company standing up to "The Big Guys™".

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
If I never hear another Koodo ad again, I will die happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
YOU loving ARE "THE BIG GUYS", YOU'RE GODDAMN TELUS

JESUS

... Sorry for the yelling. Koodo irks me.