Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 26, 2013

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 10, 2014

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 22, 2014

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 6, 2014

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 13, 2015

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 11, 2015

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Is anywhere that sells phones in person open these days? I was thinking maybe Walmart or London Drugs, since everything else I've looked up isn't.

edit: I know both of those are open... I mean the cell phone parts.

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 18, 2020

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
London Drugs was good, no outside lineup (except for car insurance) and they were possibly even overstaffed in mobile phone dept with three people. Thanks for the fallback ideas though!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Without quizzing friends and strangers everywhere I go, what's the lowest hassle way to check out the signal for different networks?

I'm on the Telus/Bell network but after moving my signal's mediocre. I have wifi calling enabled at home but there are areas nearby where I have no reception at all so I really do want to cross-compare. CellMapper has very little data and is always readings from outside.

Freedom: It looks like you can currently order and activate a prepaid line online with a 30 day plan including some data for $19 (maybe +10 for SIM) and then walk away if it sucks, however I am very confident based on tower density and locations that it will be worse than Telus where I live so why bother?

Rogers, on the other hand, actually does have a couple towers vaguely nearby in locations that Telus/Bell do not, and both locations also have antennas pointed my direction, however terrain and buildings certainly mean no clean line of sight.

I did some looking and the best prepaid deal I can see on that network is $10 for a Chatr SIM + $35 for a month including 2 GB data. HOWEVER, it might also be nice to use an eSIM so I get both networks at once (boy do all Canadian providers' implementations suck - you'll charge $9-10 and hand/mail me a card with a physical qrcode?) and Chatr doesn't do it at all. Rogers/Fido do, but neither have remotely cheap plans with data available right now, although I suppose activating postpaid and calling retentions to cancel after a couple weeks might be a good way to either get one or indeed cancel and only pay for half the month

(Biggest downside of mailed SIM / qrcode is that the current Freedom porting / retention deals all probably expire end of month.)

Anyway, I guess there's no better way? Actually going to a store means activation fees, lineups, and ugh.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Anyone else get one of these?

They claim it wasn't them per investigation [ie, this happened to a large batch of accounts], but I log into my account about once a year and it has a long as heck unique random password.

Koodo Email posted:

As part of our efforts to protect your privacy and security, we proactively monitor our systems for suspicious activity. We have learned that there have been recent attempts to login to your account using valid credentials (your username and password) that originated from a suspicious source. Our investigation has revealed that your credentials were not shared by Koodo with any unauthorized user. But don’t worry, we have locked your Koodo account to prevent any unauthorized access.

The security of your private information is our top priority. As it appears that an unauthorized individual has your valid login credentials, you will need to reset your password to regain access to your Koodo account (link below). We also recommend that you reset your password for all of your online accounts that use the same username and password, as using different passwords for each of your accounts can prevent bad actors from accessing multiple accounts if they gain access to just one.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras posted:

Anyone else get one of these?

They claim it wasn't them per investigation [ie, this happened to a large batch of accounts], but I log into my account about once a year and it has a long as heck unique random password.

At least a couple other people per this thread, I'm sure there are more - https://twitter.com/jutocol/status/1323676787876990977.

Likeliest vector, given what I know of my own behaviour, if this is legitimately not their own infrastructure or a false positive, would be clipboard-monitoring by legitimate-ish Android apps.

edit: oh hey, another email four hours after the first couple:

quote:

Hi [me],
As part of our efforts to protect your privacy and security, we proactively monitor our systems for suspicious activity. We recently detected unusual log-in behaviour on your online account between October 28-29, 2020. We immediately took action to block these attempts and implemented additional protocols to protect against further unauthorized attempts. As an additional security precaution, we have locked your online account.
Reset your password
Please reset your password to resume using Koodo’s Self-serve. If you have used the same login credentials on other websites, we recommend that you update all your online passwords. Your new password must be a minimum of 10 characters. Here are some helpful tips in creating your new password:

• Minimum of 10 characters which must contain at least 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, 1 symbol/special character, 1 lowercase letter
• Do not use your old password
• Do not use your name or something easily associated with you
• Do not use your Koodo password with other accounts

You can reset your password by going to the Login Page and clicking on “Forgot” password.
All the best,
The Koodo Team

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 3, 2020

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

DariusLikewise posted:

Is anybody in Manitoba using Telus right now? My work has an employee plan discount option with them and the rates are good but I remember Telus' coverage being absolute rear end here

Yeah, fair question. Now that Bell owns MTS, does that whole Bell/Telus 100% shared network thing apply?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-wireless-code-cellphone-1.4161711

No locked phones since Dec 2017.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
This thread's been quiet as heck, so hey, gonna share this link:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Data last updated February 1st and holy crap did a bazillion Telus towers appear since the last update in many areas of greater Vancouver, Victoria, and a bit elsewhere - their 5G deployment is clearly underway.

I looked around the GTA a bit and found Rogers does have a few clusters but nothing that remotely compares.

Anyone know anything about whether 5G towers are going to be shared differently than the current Bell/Telus alliance?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

Not on the low end. It's literally impossible to get a $10/gb ratio with prepay under $50. It's typically half that or worse, with Rogers being way, way worse ($60/1gb)

The Public Mobile Plan was $120 every three months for 12gb, with discounts for referrals, autopay, and per year of service. At my current discount level it comes to $34/month (I need more referrals :( ).
And for their sin of benefitting the consumer, they were consigned to have only 3g data speed for new customers ever since.

Rogers delenda est

Low end - the monthly charge is zero if you have shaw internet, but nevermind that bundling discount:

However I think the central thesis is wrong - mobile pricing still blows in Canada, we've just mostly aged into housing costs making mobile bills trivial in comparison.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

^ That still ends up being $45/3gb, and it's not prepaid. In fact, Shaw doesn't offer any prepaid plans.

Okay, well, these two are prepaid. Didn't bother looking at Freedom as I thought they'd killed it and rebranded to Shaw:

Confusingly, the second one says "3GB" when not expanded, so I believe it's 2 GB base + 1GB bonus...

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 25, 2021

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Stock market seems fairly skeptical about the odds of it going through, announced with buyout price of a bit more than 40/share, currently trading at 32 - about half the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

I wonder what Telus did differently, I didn't even know there was an outage for some people.

The Huawei firmware spyware underwent additional QA before being released by the company.