Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Mister Macys posted:

I live in one of Wind's unlimited service areas (London :banjo: ), and I haven't had any problems with the reception so far, using my cheap & lovely Huawei.

I gotta say though, Wind stores are more no-frills than... NoFrills.

They're so bare and ghetto, you'd swear it was some front for acquiring your personal info, rather than a new and (hopefully?) growing phone service provider.

How is wind's reception on the edge of town? I live east dundas and my Rogers reception starts crapping out once pull into my street. It's to a point where I have to forward my calls to my phone.

I'm looking to get out of Rogers once my contract is finished and wind looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Lexicon posted:

Wow, that's a good deal. I'm currently one of said shady guys on craigslist, selling a Rogers iPhone 4 for $320: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mob/3098494962.html. I'll let it go for $280 if some Vancouver goon is interested.

(If this isn't kosher for this thread, please let me know and I'll remove).

Would be in interested in this as well but in Ontario. If you don't get a local buyer, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Lexicon posted:

Ok, preference would be to sell locally just to avoid shipping headaches, but I'll let you know if I don't move it in the next week or so. Cheers.

Sounds good thanks. I need an iPhone real soon but would rather avoid shady guys from Craigslist/kijiji as well.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone tried the prepaid phones/service they offer at 7-11? I rarely use the phone, so I'm thinking prepaid might be the way to go, since buying something like 100 minutes for $25 could last me for months.

Speakout is really good if you're not a heavy user. My wife and I are pretty much together 24/7 and her Speakout phone is hardly used. We loaded it up with $25 and haven't had to top it in 6 months.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

It was about 2 months ago now. 2 new phones, they charged $30 for the privilege of not having data.

That's just wow. I have data blocked from a long time ago but I'm looking to get it back on in the near future.
I hope they don't charge for the privlege of receiving data.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have a retentions plan with Rogers.I have about 14 months left on a three year contract. I haven't done a hardware upgrade since 2006/07. I don't know how upgrades or the new tab/contract policy works now. I'm interested in doing an upgrade to the Iphone 5 and I'm going to be lost.

Do I have to pay a cancellation fee/early upgrade? Would I like be locked into a contract? Or is a tab policy? And how would it be calculated?

Help me.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
My original contract had a hardware and when that contract was up I had planned on renewing with a hardware upgrade. Then I basically had some issues with them and I was offered this current deal which I took.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I'm on Roger and an Iphone. My emails haven't been pushed/fetched for the last couple of days. I have to manually go the mail app to retreive my mail.
Haven't changed any settings on the phone or anything like that. It just stopped working. Any idea what caused this?
Yahoo mail if it matters.
Only thing I can of is, I had no service on my phone so I rebooted the phone and got service fine. That's about the same time as the email problem.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Rick Rickshaw posted:

When is the last time you've logged in via the web?

I log in daily. I'm pretty much in a front of a computer all day so it's not a life or death issue. It's the fact that it's not working that's bothering me. And that I have to manually check emails when I'm from my computer.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Well, it's definitely not the issue I experienced.

What is the time interval you have set for the mail app to fetch mail?

Push is on but fetch is manually.
I'm almost sure it was set to a time interval before but I know the settings hasn't been changed for awhile now.

I don't know anymore.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

OilSlick posted:

Updated the OP a bit. Now with 16% more discount carriers!

Maybe add Speakout? They are great for low usage users and emergency phones.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Is there a way for Rogers to send a message if you've almost reached your limit in sent text messages?
My little sister went over her text limit again (2,500) and got dinged for $30 in overage. She got a text from Rogers after going over the limit.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
So here's a scenerio. I might be getting a koodo locked iphone this weekend. The person I'm getting it from will be exchanging it for a new iphone since the current phone has an issue with it.

Would we able to exchange for an unlocked iphone from the Apple store?
If not, I assume we will get a koodo locked phone. Would we be able to pay the unlock fee through the Apple store?
And if not, since it's technically a new iphone, would koodo be willing to unlock it?

I would be taking possession of it after the exchange at the store but I won't be using it on koodo. That's why we are looking to get it unlocked.

iLikeMidgets fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2013

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Anyone ever heard of 8com? https://www.8com.ca/mobile.php
Their phone plans looks good. I've only heard of them from the RedFlagDeals forums. Wondering if someone here has used them

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
From RFD.

RFD posted:

MSNWireless (8COM Rep) had gone through his company and made a nice RFD promo for us after finding THIS thread through calls from RFDers.

Seeing the interest that accumulated, they started answering a bunch of questions.

When the RFD Promo was announced, user soccerboy created another thread detailing the plans, rates, and even went as far as updating nearly by the quarter hour.

A big influx of users, after reading the terms went on and sign up with 8COM

Issues arose from the company such as the fine prints regarding max DATA usage, text limits, voice limits on a plan that stated UNLIMITED and 10gb.

People dug further, and Howard had found that the company is related to a Limo service

People are confused by that, and started wanting information on how exactly 8COM gets their rates so cheap

The current speculation is that it's under a corporate rate with bell, and they are sharing it with the public? (not too sure if that was right?)

RFDers are unhappy with the honesty of 8COM, although they did wonderfully in trying to explain the situation.

People do not want to give information to a company that will not share it's policies, and like wise, some who have signed on already are worried about where their information is going.

It was a former company name that is now owned by 8COM and Bell has not changed it for years although they were notified.
(The limo service company what-cha-ma-callit is a side company that is owned by 8COM if I remember correctly. Think of it like Pepsi Co owns Doritos, Mountain Dew, etc..)

Seeing this, user soccerboy had decided that until MSNWireless clears up all the details, that his thread should be removed.

8COM Claims that they are are reseller of Bell, yet some people want more proof of their legitimacy

Think this pretty much answers it.
I went to bed with everyone happy about 8com. I wake up to this.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

DarkJC posted:

Yes. And please don't believe the rumour that you need to not pay things on time in order to build credit.

This. My wife didn't have credit either so she got a secured credit card with a $500 limit. After a year and a half of using it and paying on time, she was able to get a new credit card with a $7,000 limit.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Currently on Rogers and my plan includes Name Display. My contract is finished next month and looking to make a switch. Are there any other carrier that offers Name Display? It's fairly nice feature for me and would be hard to give up.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Once my Rogers contract expired I ported over to Koodo's prepaid. Best move ever. For the year, I'll be saving more than 50% compared to Rogers.
If you can keep an eye on usage, I feel Koodo is the way to go. I really only need data when I'm out to check emails and maps. Otherwise, I'm constantly around an internet connection. When I'm home, I'll use Fongo for phone calls. It may not work for everyone especially if you're constantly in need of using your phone but for my situation it's great

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Mantle posted:

I have first hand experience with this situation. Absolutely DO NOT repair your iPhone before getting it unlocked. I cracked the screen on my Rogers locked iPhone 4 and had it replaced with a new Rogers locked phone from Apple. I then planned a trip overseas and wanted to pay Rogers $50 to unlock my phone. They refused to do it because the IMEI on my replacement phone did not match the IMEI on the phone they issued me. I quote, "your phone's IMEI is not in our database so it's not a Rogers phone so we can't unlock it".

Well, it is locked to Rogers so it is defacto a Rogers locked phone, you loving thieves.

I even had all the paper trail showing my replacement process with Apple AND the IMEIs of both devices. Still flat out refusal.

My buddy just went through something similar with Rogers. He had his Rogers locked iphone replaced by Apple and was told the same thing when called to get it unlocked. He raised a stink and after getting bounced around and eventually got to a manager, they agreed to unlock it. But I saw how much of a hassle it was since I was with him when he made the call.
So it can be done but you're going to have to fight for it.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I don't bother answering unknown numbers anymore. I figured if it's important they will leave a message.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

Anyone have any experience with Magicjack/Ooma/etc.?

My signal at home is miserable but my phone is on a corporate plan so One Number isn't an option. I'm tired of having to take calls on the front porch.

https://www.freephoneline.ca. It's either $4.95/month or $50 for the unlock key (if you already have your own adapter).

My old Samsung Galaxy S had lovely reception in my house and I was constantly missing/dropping calls. I would always forward my cell to my home phone when I was at home. Worked great and it' handy to have a home phone line available.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Check out Koodo or Speakout. Depending on how long you are staying and what your needs are, one may be better than the other.

http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates

I'm currently using Koodo's $15 base plan and buy booster minutes and data as needed. Very inexpensive for my needs.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Lexicon posted:

If you read the thread, some people have trouble at certain places, others don't. I got it first attempt in Montreal with no hassle whatsoever. There's apparently an online loophole to do it now.

What is the online loophole process?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I finished my contract with Rogers earlier in the year and ported immediately to Koodo. I was expecting a fight with my final bill but when the bill came in, it was a $0 balance.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Just throwing this out there. If you're looking to unlock a Rogers/Fido iPhone there is a website that's doing it for $11. I just unlocked my iPhone 5.

http://protechparts.ca/collections/factory-unlocks/products/rogers-wireless-iphone-unlock-1-24hrs

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Currently with Koodo and looking to buy a used iPhone locked to them. Could I just pop in my sim card and request an unlock? Or do I have to be the original account holder?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Will an iPhone 6 locked to Telus work with Koodo without unlocking it?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Went to my parents and saw a Rogers corporate plan sheet that they brought home. Insane plan if you asked me.

$40 gets you:

Unlimited local call
500mb data
500mb 1gb add $5
1gb to unlimited add $10

So for $50 I can get unlimited data.

Currently with Koodo but I think I may have to port my number to Rogers.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a skewed perspective because I'm on a loving awesome Rogers deal through corporate plans, but their data is worth the extra cost. It's insanely fast, like 150mbps, and I get solid full LTE coverage basically everywhere I go in the area. I can't even complain about their customer service because I get my personal business rep's line to call anytime. Not realistic I know.

Yeah I'm on the same boat. A family member has a stupidly great corporate plan with Rogers available so all of us jumped on it. I still like to check in on this thread once in awhile. I too was once a regular cellphone customer getting boned with market plans.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

Mine is a corporate plan and they screwed up and gave me an extra $7 off a month.

$45 for a regular unlimited talk/text Share Everything plan, with 6gb data. Rogers is great if they make a mistake in your favor.

I'm on unlimited everything. Talk/CDN long distance/data. $50 :smug:

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

I'll take the $5 savings when I use less than 1gb a month now.

How ancient is that plan that unlimited data is even an option anyway?

It's a current plan. Just renewed with an iPhone 6S.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

ColonelMoutard posted:

Will an iphone locked to telus work on Koodo?

Also, is there a reliable place to get an iphone unlocked cheaper than the 50$ telus wants?

edit: poo poo that was answered a few posts up. I'm still somewhat wary though...

Also, Koodo can unlock a Telus iphone for $35. If you do go that route, don't tell Koodo that it's a Telus locked phone. Just give Koodo the IMEI. I've unlocked two iphones that way before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Did Public Mobile just remove their $10 plan? I don’t see it anymore.