Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
If any of you guys have an EVO 3D on Rogers, I just got the ICS update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Monsieur N posted:

I just replaced my N1 with the new Galaxy S3 and it's great. Only 2 thing.

1. A bunch of apps I can't delete, which is not a big deal.
2. I used the GPS only to realize that it uses an "insane" amount of data.(thing that didn't happen with the N1)

Anyway I was looking for a gps receiver on ebay. The comments are from 2010 and I have no idea if it actually works with android. Do any of you know if it works or any model in particular that I should look for ?

I'm guessing it's google maps using the data, there are downloadable maps afaik, or you can tell gmaps to pre-buffer your area so it's not always using mobile data when it's on. Not sure what you want that GPS receiver for.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I just switched to that in store from my current plan and kept the same end of contract date. It was $5 more than my current plan, apparently if it had been cheaper I would have had to do the switch online. My phone (EVO3D) isn't LTE. It's pretty much the same plan that I had before except with 6GB instead of 1, so hopefully I won't have to worry about switching to wifi as much and can stop using opera mini.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Does anyone know if it's possible to add cheap voicemail to an older Rogers plan without switching to a new one? I like my 6gb/$60 promotional plan i got a while back but got sick of paying $12 a month for the "value pack" that included voicemail and caller id etc. I can live without caller ID but I'd really like to have voicemail and I can't see anything listed when I look at add-ons for my plan on the Rogers site. Maybe a free voicemail service? Pretty sure my plan includes call forwarding if that helps.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Is there a way to get that Manitoba plan online or something? I don't really feel like going to a koodo store and lying to people with some bullshit story, especially as I suspect they'll have heard it before if this is a thing getting shared around on the net

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I spent a weekend going to Koodo kisosks, Walmarts, Best Buys, and Future Shops. I ended up doing the online method described above because no one would help me.

Yeah I don't really have an ethical objection to working a loophole against the phone companies, I really just wanted to avoid this because it sounds like a mildly embarrassing huge waste of time.

Thanks for posting the online method, if I try it out I'll let you guys know. I'm on the old Rogers 6gb\60$ promo plan from a couple years back but I have to pay extra for call display and voicemail which pisses me off.

large hands fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 10, 2014

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

I have a feeling the answer is "no", but does anyone have any experience with Bell or Rogers where one uses an unlocked device using a (grandfathered) monthly rate plan and being eligible for BYOD discounts once one's contract is up? I bought a iPhone 4S almost 3 years ago, subsidized by a 3-year contract, then bought an unlocked 5S last year and switched my plan over to that after selling the 4S. Or does applying for BYOD discount necessarily involve signing up for a (dogshit expensive) rate plan that's currently available?

Discount only applies to the new plans, as does getting a subsidized device. I'll be buying my devices outright until they kick me off the 6gb/$60 plan I got a couple years ago. I can live without the BYOD discount, given how lovely the new 2 year plans are.

E: that's my experience with Rogers, can't speak for Bell.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Kreez posted:

Koodo gives you the BYOD discount on the $55/5GB plan. :)

Is that the Manitoba one? If not I'm all over that...

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I seem to recall from a few pages back that they closed that loophole

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
So is the "data bonus" Rogers is offering just a one shot deal or is it actually 10Gbs/month for $60.

Just wondering if I should give up my grandfathered 6Gb/$60 Rogers plan, with the extra charge for voicemail and taxes it winds up around $80/month usually.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Well just switched plans online with Rogers. Their site was getting hammered but it went through. Now I'm paying 60 for 10gbs instead of 65 for 6gbs +$10 for their shittiest voicemail addon. Woot

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, the Big 3 (or at least their flanker brands?) are responding to Freedom's price drop to 10GB for $50 with promotional "10GB for $60" BYOP deals this weekend. Virgin's also has unlimited Canada-wide calling/texting, I assume the others do as well but I can't speak for them.

Here's what the Rogers plan includes. And yes it's 10Gb, just doesn't show the bonus on the email but says 10 when I sign in on their website.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
That's weird, the ads on Koodo's site said to ask in store for details. Glad it took me a few clicks on Rogers' website to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Rogers just gave me an extra 5gb a month for two years randomly, this leads me to believe somebody must be offering a better deal than my current $65 for (now)15gb and unlimited canada calling. Is that the case?