Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

"The majority of customers should not notice any impact to their monthly bills." hahahaha

e: ^^^^ that's like they're whispering "it's not going to hurt that much" as they get lubed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Migishu posted:

So on Tuesday I called Fido. It's been a week, they've hosed up multiple times on my order, and they still haven't shipped my phone...

...to get a response from an agent "apparently we're not shipping out any more phones until July 20, seems to be for all phones, not just the Galaxy Nexus".

The gently caress? Can someone explain this poo poo?

They're out

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hahaha legality *takes a bath in $100 bills* that's a riot *snorts coke off a hooker* I like you

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

This Rogers waitlist thing is such a farce, not sure how any of it works. No weekly e-mails at all. Right now it's been showing in progress for about 3 days straight with no tracking number sent. It's all a big mystery as to when I will get my iPhone 5. The nice thing is that I am getting a $50 credit but the wait is now killing me.

If the system is similar to Fido's last winter when I got a 4S, you won't hear anything until you get a phone call from the local shop you selected for pick up

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mahler posted:

I've been with Virgin Mobile for a while now. Renewed my contract about a year ago but kept the old phone (Samsung Vice) because hey, it still worked. However, now it's starting to crap out. I still have the opportunity to switch to a new phone, and I was wondering what the 2012 equivalent to the Samsung Vice is, in terms of durability/reliability. I only use my phone for texting and the occasional call. Don't really want any bells or whistles.

The Gravity Touch looks like it has QWERTY

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

It's probably best to just cull the entire bloodline. Sorry.

His avatar can stay.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I learned this the hard way with Fido back in 2009... I was on month to month in anticipation for the iPhone 3G's successor, and they wouldn't even sell me a 3GS when it came out as I was an "existing customer".

Fido has improved things and have a reservation system now, I was able to get an iphone 4S fairly early from them in late 2011 as an existing customer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Have her check Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage

There was something wonky with one of the early iOS 6 versions and push email that caused a bunch of data usage IIRC

Rogers should reduce the bill if she finds the problem and fixes her phone

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

That's... absurd.

Agree

mewse
May 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

This is the worst. gently caress the useless failures at the CRTC.

I can't even get upset about this because of how horrible our carriers are

mewse
May 2, 2006

It would be such a shame if our monopolistic carriers were involved in a bloodbath.

mewse
May 2, 2006

And that's why the nexus one had a 1" screen

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

At least based on current marketing, the Nexus 4, 7, and 10, refer to a 4" phone, a 7" tablet, and a 10" tablet, respectively.

mewse
May 2, 2006

From what I understand:

iPhone 4 was originally GSM and then had a separate CDMA model introduced later
iPhone 4S was universal
iPhone 5 had 3 different versions for the different LTE bands

quote:

Unlike the iPhone 4S, which was the only "world phone" produced by Apple, there are three versions of the iPhone 5, which differ by the frequency used.

I don't know what this means for the 5C/5S but when you pick up one at the apple store they'll be able to confirm it works with your carrier. There shouldn't be any problem with Rogers because they have carried iPhones basically since the beginning

mewse
May 2, 2006

Migishu posted:

Browsing MobileSyrup just now, anyone heard of this? http://www.knowroaming.com/

Anyone think this is legit? Would be a nice way to say "gently caress you" to the big 3 when roaming outside of Canada.

That looks sketchy as gently caress.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

phone financing and service cost need to be disaggregated. I'd be quite happy to see this legislated.

And contracts outlawed entirely

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

For service, sure. For financing, that would have to be contractual, or it couldn't happen.

Financing what if handset subsidies are banned

e: oh you guys are talking about keeping "financing", pretty sure they'd just become leases or loans if they aren't attached to a service

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stop illiteracy-shaming me please

mewse
May 2, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So I'm an American traveling to Winnipeg for a few days in two weeks. For voice/SMS I'm just going to roam with my phone as the rates aren't dreadful, however data roaming is $2/MB and CDMA only for myself.

I'd really like a decent prepaid data plan if possible, with ~500 MB to 1 GB being ideal, and I'd need to order a micro-SIM to use in my Nexus 7. Now, the problem is that MTS appears to be stuck in 2010 and doesn't acknowledge any tablet/data-only devices other than an iPad. It also appears that I can't order a prepaid SIM but have to pick one up at an MTS store (which is inconvenient, but potentially doable).

What would my other options be? I think Rogers runs a network in Winnipeg also, but my understanding is that Bell/Telus don't, and I'm not sure how that would affect their respective prepaid subsidiaries.

I'm in Winnipeg, I use Fido. It is a Rogers sub-brand that has better customer service.

They seem to sell sim cards here:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/SmartCard

They don't seem to have a straightforward way to do pre-paid data. These "data passes" require a voice-only plan:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/datacatalogue/data_passes

mewse
May 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Guys, it's called inflation. Bits and bytes are getting bigger every year. Wavelengths aren't getting any cheaper either. Just be thankful to our government's hard work at promoting cellular competition, otherwise rates might be going up even higher.

How much bigger can the bits even get before they don't fit in the wavelengths any more? It's going to be a real problem when we reach peak data

mewse
May 2, 2006

That picture is indecipherable but try using a bank card, if that doesn't work, another screen protector :P

mewse
May 2, 2006

With MTS getting sold we are hosed as consumers. Every national carrier has special "manitoba plans" specifically to compete with MTS, all that will end.

Pretty big coincidence that this is announced almost immediately following the election of a conservative provincial government.

mewse
May 2, 2006

unknown posted:

It's the same warehouse in the backend. There's a guy in a cage at the warehouse who activates the phone if you order via Rogers/Bell/whoever. (He's in a cage for security since he's got access to be able to change people's phone billings).

Is that why my new phone had one contact named "help I am being held in a giant cage"?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Competition Bureau and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) just approved the sale of MTS to Bell. gently caress this country

mewse
May 2, 2006

What the gently caress - give some of your stuff to Telus (a big three) and Xplornet (a non-player) and we'll approve this industry consolidation that we just mentioned will be terrible for consumers

mewse
May 2, 2006

With MTS being bought out by Bell, are there any decent deals from Bell subsidiaries that would use MTS's entire network now? Looks like virgin mobile has $48 for 5GB. Oh god it might charge for texting tho. I'm on a Fido Manitoba plan so I might be sitting pretty.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Not sure how bread of all things is the highest priority as far as price fixing goes in Canada.

Lol seriously. Don’t look into cellular or gas prices, competition bureau. Take on something you can win :P

mewse
May 2, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Thank god I'm with BellMTS

Haha.... same :smith:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bacon biscuit is good but not worth waiting in line at Tim's

mewse
May 2, 2006

odiv posted:

Why wait in line when you can order with the app and feel the glares of all the suckers as you waltz in and get your order?

Haven't really had Tim's since the app came out. Last experience was a week or two ago - stopping by before work, seeing a dozen car lineup in the drive thru and noping out of there

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Dang I thought there was some good new deal to be had.

codo27 posted:

The Tim Hortons Bacon biscuit is, by far, the finest and best breakfast item money can buy

We are talking deals, do try to keep up

mewse
May 2, 2006

waxluthor posted:

I only get Tim's when I'm at the airport. The Filipino ladies are always nice to me. The young rear end in a top hat hipster jerks at Starbucks rip me off all the time.

I find starbucks pretentious as well

mewse
May 2, 2006

I ordered a sim card for koodo for $0 and chose a plan, and filled out a credit application.

So the sim card showed up and I went to register in their self-serve thing.

It asks for a customer number and I don't have that anywhere, I tried a couple different numbers.

Now I seem to be locked out with "waiting to verify email address".

I think I will have to call them to get this sorted out

mewse
May 2, 2006

Customer id number

mewse
May 2, 2006

codo27 posted:

Oh gently caress off. I've been a customer for 6 years and referred I dunno how many people, and they get those offers but I dont. $65 for 8 isn't the worst but its not what I want.

Maybe you opted out of promos? Or it's a region thing. They texted me in MB:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I'm going to assume you're not self aware about the advantages of telecom in Manitoba but no, this is not something any of us outside your mosquito den should see texted as an offer.

mewse posted:

Maybe you opted out of promos? Or it's a region thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

James Baud posted:

So apparently all Koodo customers who got the 10 gigs for $14 offer can (jump through minor hoops - see thread summary under OP - and) change their plans to a $25 unlimited Canada-wide voice/text/0-data plan and then accept the offer, yielding unlimited calls and 10GB data for 39/mo.

edit: wait, the OP says "until July 21st" ... I've had the tab open for a while, unsure whether that's accurate.

It describes a method you could do without talking to an agent to throw a refurb phone in the cart and switch to the $25 tab small plan, but 1) there are no refurb phones that give you money back any more from what I can see 2) the lowest tab small plan I can see is $35 rather than $25

So it seems like this may have run its course already

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Tried later at work on a desktop, loaded ok. You pay him $100 and he gets you one of the Koodo plans he lists.

How do we know it's the real cell phone man and not some shady cell phone boy

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Koodo is currently offering a year of Amazon Prime with new signups.

My brain: maybe I should switch to koodo
Also my brain: I am already on koodo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Not that I'd ever suggest doing this but if you have a person of the correct gender call in with all the correct identifying information, then what would stop them from porting out the number, security questions?