Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I asked about the Rogers upgrade policy a few weeks ago, and the similarity to Quebec's early termination law.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't the fees be exactly the same (in Quebec)?

(Phone subsidy/36)*Remaining months right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the advice, Dark One. I will take a look. I know nothing about the Android thing so hopefully that's enough.

Turning it off gives you a "Make sure you have a data connection" page not found error, but there's no way to be sure it's pulling nothing. It does show a loading progress bar before failing on my phone.

Bell will disable data for a ~$30 one time fee, maybe Rogers has copied it by now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OilSlick posted:

Err.... What? There is certainly no fee unless they just introduced one this morning.

It was about 2 months ago now. 2 new phones, they charged $30 for the privilege of not having data.

Edit: Each.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 9, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OilSlick posted:

:stare:

Uh... did you actually see the charge on your bill? Did it actually say "data block charge" or something? I'm sure I did it recently for a customer and there was no such charge. It's just a feature they add to your account. I'm sure I would have had this bite me in the rear end by now.

It wasn't me. It was my mother in law. She upgraded her phone from a dumbphone, and got her son one and each time had a fee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Godinster posted:

This is completely wrong. There's a reason the Rogers Nexus doesn't have JB yet while others do.

Galaxy, or S?

I have jellybean on Rogers with a Nexus S.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are cell repeaters directional? I have a friend who lives in an area near the border where the AT&T signal is stronger than Bell's, so he often gets switched over to roaming.

Would a repeater help at all?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said they said no to disabling roaming.

He currently has some kind of Blackberry, a Curve I think, but is getting a Galaxy S3 this weekend.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Where does he live?

I don't know about Bell, but I know Telus declared certain areas "Border" zones. In a "Border Zone" you wouldn't get charged voice if you roamed onto a US carrier (AT&T) tower.

I lived in White Rock, which is 15 minutes from the US border, so this happened all the time. All I had to do was make sure data roaming was off as data wasn't covered.

White Rock and Abbotsford in BC are one border zone, Windsor ON is the other. Perhaps Bell has this agreement too as they're very similar Telus network wise?

I'm sure you can get directional repeaters, but an omni-directional should be good enough. You just need a stronger signal than the foreign carrier.

He lives near/in a town called Dundee.

Bell already removes the roaming charges as it is, it's just an annoyance he was hoping a repeater can solve.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How does phone reservation work with Rogers? Do you work out what you're doing (outright vs. upgrading) at the store once it gets in, or what?

Edit: And their policy is still (remaining months)*$15, right?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 25, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Will Canadian carriers still unlock phones, or did they stop when the US passed that law?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OilSlick posted:

Yes, they still unlock phones, albeit with some strict policies and a high fee, depending on the device you want unlocked. Use an online service or local repair shop if at all possible (i.e, not an iPhone).

Is that use an online service if it is an iPhone, or isn't? It's not for me, so I can't really do anything myself, just asking for a friend.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe my friend is buying it from someone who had it through Rogers and just bought a new phone, so most of those hoops should be non-factors. Thanks, I'll let them know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently on Thursday, the Amazon App Store became available in Canada. Your phone has to be able to install third party apps, if any still block that.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001119741&ref_=sa_menu_gs_adr_app

I doubt the prices are any better, but it does have the free app of the day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which of the following two phrases best describes Canadian Cellular Service: I would be willing to pay more monthly, or magic picture that if you stare at it long enough, you see something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

What exactly is the tab system anyway? It looks like a phone loan of sorts, and I'm guessing these loans will now be extended to three years if I'm reading you right.

It's basically the same as the Quebec early cancellation fee law/Rogers hardware upgrade policy.

The phone's cost is reduced by (Subsidized price of phone divided by months in contract) each month, and you can pay off that balance at any team to upgrade or leave.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squibbles posted:

They give you a phone and x% of your monthly bill (usually 10%) goes toward paying off the value of the phone. So if your bill is $60 then every month your tab is decreased by $6 until the phone is paid off. You aren't technically locked into a contract because if you leave then you don't pay a set cancellation fee, you just have to pay off the remainder of your tab.

Oh, really? That's way worse than what Rogers has.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just pay the remaining value of your subsidy on a Rogers flextab. Except your cost is reduced by a 36th of that subsidy every month, instead of 10%.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, guys, didn't you hear that Canadians actually want to pay higher cell rates? Geez, the Big 3 are only doing what we want!

Why, just today when a cowoker asked my opinion on which US talk/text/data vacation plan to use I recommended the 200mb over the 50mb because it's really unfair to Rogers that she pays so little for her monthly bill. They have to eat too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

I don't know about 416, but in Montreal 514 is supposed to be full because of cell phones... Yet within the metropolitan Montreal area, some districts still have plenty of 514 numbers. Through sheer insistence, I managed to get two very mnemonic numbers in that area code through Line2 and Freephoneline. I would imagine VoIP services have a larger pool of unused numbers than cellular, though.

They give 514 for cellphones to the whole (most recent) former 514 area, which includes 450, which they split off in the first place because they were running out of 514.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the main reason I have 6gb with them.

I don't even use 500mb, but according to Rogers I might. There's no way they can ever misreport me up to 6gb.

(It was a promo price, only $5 more a month than 500mb.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well yeah, if you don't use your phone as a phone it's pretty cheap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Godinster posted:

No kidding. The only indication of plan discounts for BYOD are tablets.

Telus does have that $35 for BYOD, but it doesn't go into detail.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has Rogers come out with theirs yet?

Squibbles posted:

Yeah that was in Canada too. I think it wasn't until they split up Ma Bell in the 80's that you were finally able to purchase a land line phone separate from the service.

It was a huge deal at my house when we got the phone with the LCD display.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless you live in Quebec, where that has already been the law for a while now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which carrier raised the cost? All the ones I saw kept the subsidy but raised the bill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skeeter Green posted:

Do you actually think our incumbent telecoms "actively" gently caress over customers? Secondly, do you really think Verizon is any different?

Rogers charges tax to untaxable customers (natives on reserves) and requires monthly calls to remove it, because a percentage of users won't bother.

Bell used to (still might) overcount because not everyone pays attention to their bill.

They extended Dave Nonis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be fair, when we're talking about cellphone providers all that really amounts to is not immediately signing up with them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I imagine that anyone who actually thinks Verizon will allow the NSA to spy on us probably already thinks the NSA is spying on us.

(Also the NSA is probably already spying on us.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 10, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Interesting move by Google. Doesn't this essentially screw Samsung entirely? Why would one buy a GS4 or whatever now? Arguably I'm sure they might be better than a Nexus 4 in a few aspects, but 3x the price better?

Probably not. Isn't Nexus penetration really low? Most people don't know they exist beyond another phone on display at Rogers/Bell/etc. Then you have people who have no idea about carrier locking and all that, who will just see it as a $200 phone when the Galaxy is also $200.

I would wager most users care more about the fancy phone than the overall price of their contract too.

(Also the Nexus 4 kind of sucks.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 1, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

(Also it has fantastic hardware for $300, let alone $200, so who cares if it doesn't have a 40MP camera or an SD card slot?)

Battery sucks, fragile as hell, doesn't have LTE and the pixel count isn't why the camera is bad.

The price is nice, but ultimately what do you save bringing your own device today? $4, 5 a month? Just $100 over 2 years? It comes down to how often you feel the need to change your phone, I guess.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 2, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just got a Z10 assigned to me at work, and I can't even find a Blackberry thread here on SA to learn stuff about it. Anyone have one and got some tips or killer apps?

When you do the up/down swipes, you need to start on the bezel wrapper around the screen and not the screen itself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Nexus 4 is better than the S3.

The battery life isn't terrible, but it is on the shorter end. It will probably be fine with the usage you described.

The camera is weak mainly because other manufacturers put fancy software that does all kinds of optimizations while the stock Android phone app is fairly vanilla (presumably because in theory it needs to work with a variety of phones, though that obviously doesn't happen in practice.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By November it might be a Nexus 5 for a small fee that you can probably sell for higher profit, no?

(Or it might just be better than the iPhone.)

Edit: Forgot how long Nexuses take to come to carriers and especially Canada.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any way to test if an Android phone is unlocked without a sim card?

My mother in law got a phone unlocked that she's giving to some friends in Cuba, but after putting in the code we realized nobody we know actually has a full sized SIM on a non-Bell carrier to test it.

It did say "Network Unlock Successful", but I'm hoping there's some way to verify it. On a Blackberry there's a code you can put in that tells you straight up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is a new one.

Rogers is down right now. Canada wide, apparently.

I can't make calls, and anyone calling me gets a busy signal on my cell. Their website is down, people are saying texts don't work. Mobile data apparently works fine though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ja_raul posted:

Yes.. I can confirm Rogers is down, although mobile data doesnt work for me..

Yeah, seems data and text depends on region.

I get data in Montreal, but no text. A friend further south gets texts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw a guy commenting on that outage site that his wife is due today and he's waiting for the call.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's about $1.75 for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One they actually can't do is government numbers. There's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cell bills cover the previous period, not the upcoming one.