Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MoxSquad posted:

The Big 3 can easily maneuver around this, they'll just switch to a tab system and get rid of fixed-term contracts. Fido for example has already done this.

What exactly is the tab system anyway? It looks like a phone loan of sorts, and I'm guessing these loans will now be extended to three years if I'm reading you right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Martytoof posted:

I have no expectations that Verizon would be an amazing player in Canada, but at this point I am rooting for anything that the big three aren't in favour of.

Seriously. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

eXXon posted:

Canadians - connected like never before. Makes you just want to run out and sign a wireless contract right now.

Also, apparently Canadians are pretty much all fit, attractive people aged 18-40.

If ever there was a site that called out to be hacked into oblivion...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

leidend posted:

Why is there a Pacific mall in Toronto anyway?

Because it caters to people from the Pacific countries. Asians, in other words.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OilSlick posted:

I was told it was because it's the end of the quarter.

I've heard it's because it's a day ending in Y.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, I ordered that Public SIM. What a sick deal! Will be nice to finally have proper data and for a price that competes with what I was getting on my mother-in-law's Bell retiree plan (and be nice to have control of and visibility to my own cell phone bill).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a fleshy snood posted:

Actually that makes me wonder, will I be charged overage when I go over 4gb during the month, or over 12gb over the course of 90 days?

It's 12gb over 90 days but there are no overage charges since technically it's a pre-paid plan structure. Your mobile data would just stop working, and you'd have to top-up to get more. Saves your rear end on those "oh gently caress my wi-fi's been down all weekend and I didn't even notice" moments.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My switch to Public has a hang-up because I have to get my number on my mother-in-law's plan hived off onto its own plan before the number port can be authorized. So here's hoping she/Bell get around to it within the next few weeks. I have the SIM ready to go.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Signed up and activated my Public Mobile plan last night and it's working great so far! $36 a month is almost half of what I was paying before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They didn't extend the promo, did they? Everyone still has to get their paws on a SIM by Sunday?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JoelJoel posted:

So, like, are Canadian telecoms going to start... Uh, what's the word for it. When multiple companies try to make their services more attractive to consumers instead of blatant price fixing... tip of my tongue.

You mean the... "c" word? It's a pretty dirty word here in Canada.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Macys posted:

I'll post something on topic: first three months of Public Mobile went by without a hitch. And whatever problem they had with adding debit cards seems to have been fixed.

Same here. No problems at all.

Though I do wish there more uh... data, on my data usage. More specifically, a way to tally up data usage by billing period or even month. I know I didn't go over my limit but I don't know much I ended up using in total. I guess the way to do it is to remember to check the site just before a new billing period to see what the current total is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

waxluthor posted:

Pretty happy with Public Mobile, no issues with me as well. I use "Data Witness PM" app to track my usage, it's pretty handy and free for Public Mobile users.

Thanks for this! Just downloaded it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao what, I don't think the world is conspiring against me. I fully understand that Apply Pay is supported by far more entities and has been rolled out in a far better way. I also hate iOS and iPhones and will not use one for my personal phone.

My bank isn't doing it either. I was disappointed that Tangerine isn't on the list of banks supporting it, but I guess you have to be a pretty major ba--

Newspaper Article posted:

Android Pay will work with Visa and MasterCard credit cards from [...] Canadian Tire Financial Services

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wirth1000 posted:

I strongly believe that everyone should do minimum 1 to 2 years customer facing retail work once in their lives. Enshrine it into law like countries that have mandatory military service.

People say this but it works equally well to turn people into pieces of poo poo towards customer service employees because having been there they have higher standards for how it should be done. It's assumed working retail creates empathy and camaraderie when it can also produce arrogance and condescension.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chris Knight posted:

Did this on the long weekend for a trip to Chicago. Way better than the travel add ons Telus has.

And I think the card lasts for about a year, too, right? Do you get a slightly better price if you go back to the States within that time? I've used Roam for trips there too but never so frequent that I could make use of those offers and reminders they always sent me afterwards.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

w00tmonger posted:

So glad me and the wife got in on that at $120. Never going to see a deal like that again in my lifetime

It's like night and day how I used to use my cell phone before that plan and how I use it now. Not having to give a drat about data anymore has made my phone a thousand times more useful and enjoyable. Well, that and my new phone's better battery life.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

w00tmonger posted:

Still feel like my 12Gb over 3 month deal is a winner so I'm gonna leave it alone

Same. There have been times where I logged into my account and was like "ok I definitely used something like 4 gigs this month" but nope. Haven't even come close. I won't be needing 10 gigs any time soon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MA-Horus posted:

Goddammit the golden Public Mobile deal is getting tanked. Was $120 for 3 months, 12gb/unlimited talk/text in Ontario. They're increasing the price to $150/3 months.

BUT I can keep a $40/month price point for 4gb data on Koodo, plus a bill credit! How kind of them.

Are you switching? I just got the text about this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MA-Horus posted:

Yup. As of March 12th. Which means that if I want to keep my existing pricepoint on the new Koodo plan I have to chuck 80 bucks away most likely.

So the credit they're giving is really just to offset the sunk cost of the prepaid term.

What's the deal with Koodo? Do they suck? Am I going to lose or gain anything by switching, like coverage? They can't have any worse/less customer service than Public.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can't believe we've only been on the plans for, what? A year and a few months? Is this some kind of sign that Public will be shuttered or just that the deal they gave us was too good and popular?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

From Reddit, via RFD:

Here is the fine print from Koodo when I try to use their promo code.

Roaming rates apply outside of Canada. Included data does not roll over at the end of each month.

Includes international text messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Availability of service will vary by country and is subject to change without notice. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages. Additional data charges apply depending on picture size when roaming in the U.S. and internationally. Picture messaging is supported by BlackBerry smartphone with a SIM card only if a BlackBerry is added to a Koodo plan or a Koodo data plan is chosen. Picture messaging works only if data is turned on.

Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents with Manitoba & Saskatchewan area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.

Rate plan available for Quebec residents with Quebec area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.

Calls must be made and completed within Canada. Applies to calls made between phones on the same account.

The requirements to get the $100 credit:

Subject to credit approval.

While supplies last.

Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer.

Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

THC posted:

how many minutes do you get outside of these hours?

There's conflicting information back and forth so I don't know honestly. Could be a true unlimited Canada-wide anytime plan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like their cheeky use of "infamous" to describe the switch offer. Like "oh, we're such incorrigible scamps aren't we?"

And then they go on to say "don't worry, we'll get you eventually."

Scudworth posted:

They're too busy congratulating themselves as they believe their mass of complaints caused this switch back.

We have to be able to believe that we can make a difference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

waxluthor posted:

So y'all switching to this $40/month for 5GB Koodo deal? I can't decide... 5GB seems nice, and I've used all of 12GB in less than 90-days a couple times.

Before this PM plan I was on $57/month for 200mins & 6GB, so $40 for unlimited Canada-wide & 5GB is a pretty sweet deal.

The main reason I'd want to switch is that I get the sense my deal with Public, or Public itself, is ready to disappear, not because this is a must-have offer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anyone taking the plunge? I might do it next week, after seeing if there are any more texts bumping the offer to 10 gigs or whatever. If I do switch plans, my apologies to Risky Bisquick for the referral fee loss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zigmidge posted:

Man they want you guys off that plan so bad I would be holding out until there was a guy from public mobile in a suit with a lapel pin slipping a brand new phone in my pocket while giving me a bj.

Doubtful that will happen now that door-to-door sales are banned.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

quote:

In the most recent Telus earnings’ call, CEO Darren Entwistle noted that moving customers “up the value chain” from Public through Koodo and Telus is a key strategy for the company.

Link

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's kind of early to ask but if I'm going to England in the fall and I'm on Koodo now (just switched from PM) what's my best option for getting service over there? Mostly I would just care about data. I've bought SIM cards from Roam Mobility in the past when going to Europe or the States, not sure if that's still what I should do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

less than three posted:

If you're flying into Heathrow, there are vending machines that sell 3 travel SIMs that are like 5gb and talk/text for $25

Otherwise, just go to the nearest 3 store.

https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Are they reliable? That's what I ended up doing in Dublin a couple years ago (convenience store, not airport) and whatever service I ended up with was very frustrating to set up and generally crappy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dillbag posted:

Tim Hortons is bad and you should feel shame if you eat or drink any of that hot garbage.

Okay you said hot garbage, good. Means I can still have Iced Capps.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Virgin issues? No, you were right to check with goons first.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

codo27 posted:

Oh gently caress off. I've been a customer for 6 years and referred I dunno how many people, and they get those offers but I dont. $65 for 8 isn't the worst but its not what I want.

I just got the text offer a couple minutes ago so not everyone is getting them at the same time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Ugh, my phone plan is so lovely. Hey, who are you with?"
"Cell Phone Man."
"Sorry?"
"Cell Phone Man is the name of my provider."
"Riiiight..."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

large hands posted:

Rogers just gave me an extra 5gb a month for two years randomly, this leads me to believe somebody must be offering a better deal than my current $65 for (now)15gb and unlimited canada calling. Is that the case?

Canadian Cellular: Rogers gave me some free data. I'm more terrified than ever

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh I'm not knocking the goon. I would be wary of any seeming goodwill from Rogers, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is that why they keep loving calling me? Haven't answered once. I get the 50% warnings fairly often but close to the end of my cycles so I'm probably only ever hitting 60%.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If every video starts streaming in 8K and then I guess it'll be time to consider getting more GB per month but I'm fine for now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it's already plenty competitive then there shouldn't be any problem allowing more competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fisting by many posted:

That's not bad. I wonder why they call it 3G then. You'd think they could get away with a name like "LTE Lite".

LiTE